A SWEED DEBUT

Big Ben wanted a big target, and he finally is getting it.
Receiver Limas Sweed, a second-round draft pick in April, is expected to play for the first time as a Steeler.
He’s come a long way,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said of Sweed.  “It’s hard because you don’t get a lot of work in practice with me because I’ve got to work with the other guys.  I’m sure if he gets a chance, he’ll do just great.”
“A receiver is just like a quarterback in a sense,” Sweed said.  “He has to make so many reads on the run, and that enables him and the quarterback to be on the same page.  So it just takes time and I understand that.  I’m very patient and when my opportunity comes, I’m going to step in and make the best of it.”
With Dallas Baker not playing, Sweed will be the fourth receiver on the depth chart, behind Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, and Nate Washington.
In January, Roethlisberger made waves by commenting on his desire for a tall receiver.
I don’t hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that,” Ward said at the time.  “I don’t know, whatever he says.  I have no idea.  To me, it’s a rare combination of receivers out there who are good and tall.  We won a Super Bowl, we didn’t have a tall receiver then.  I don’t see Tom Brady caring about who’s tall or not.  He got Randy this year, but he did it before without him.”

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “A SWEED DEBUT”
  1. navysully says: Oct 18, 2008 10:49 PM

haha! Hines Ward has height envy!

2. steeltown pride says: Oct 19, 2008 12:00 AM

Ward also has Superbowl MVP status . He is confident and isnt worried that something was taken out of context .

3. Tex Big Balls says: Oct 19, 2008 12:04 AM

“I need a tall receiver”
    translation: I’m not that accurate.

4. Vox Veritas says: Oct 19, 2008 1:01 AM

And with that, Heinz Ward has made more anti-QB noise than TO has in 2+ years with the Cowboys.

5. Pea Tear Griffin says: Oct 19, 2008 1:24 AM

Hopefully he doesn’t pull a plex and spike A LIVE BALL after his first catch!

6. jaxjaguar says: Oct 19, 2008 1:44 AM

hahah i was at that game! it was in jax

7. Hollywood Wags says: Oct 19, 2008 1:44 AM

“translation: I’m not that accurate.”
    And we have yet another moron who has never watched Ben play.

8. gavinmac says: Oct 19, 2008 2:22 AM

I hear that Hines Ward is 5’8″ in the Timberlands.

9. mrmagoo says: Oct 19, 2008 6:12 AM

Vox Veritas says:
    October 19th, 2008 at 1:01 am
    ___________________________
    You win, we should start the canonization of TO. I nominate him to be the patron saint of ‘mass pill consumption on the day your girlfriend dumps you’.

10. mborz says: Oct 19, 2008 8:24 AM

The fact is, the people that think TO is a problem are going to continue to think so, based on what he did in SF and Philly, and it’s unlikely they’re going to let TO off the hook just yet. Their minds are made up for now, and there’s nothing you can type to change it.
    The people that have given TO the benefit of the doubt don’t need to see the endless injection of the Cowboys into other team’s postings.
    Unless your real motivation is to type more and say less than any other poster here. If that’s the case, then proceed on your current course.

11. Vox Veritas says: Oct 19, 2008 8:52 AM

I nominate the Steelers “team most likely to cheat the salary cap and flaunt rules regarding ownership of gambling interests”. The Rooneys are impugning the integrity of the league. They should be forced to sell.

12. Vox Veritas says: Oct 19, 2008 10:33 AM

“@Vox: You can stop the crusade. You won’t change a single person’s mind with your approach.”
    Not interested in changing minds. Interested in spreading the truth instead of false assumptions, misconceptions and outright lies. Thanks for your input.

13. yoyo says: Oct 19, 2008 10:38 AM

14. mrmagoo says: Oct 19, 2008 11:51 AM

Vox Veritas says:
    October 19th, 2008 at 10:33 am
    ____________________________________
    You’re always good for a laugh. Try this out:
    OJ hasn’t killed a single person in the last 2 years.
    While I think your crush on him and all things Cowboys is cute in a special ed kind of way your constant attempts to make everything about the Cowboys is more than a little sad.

15. Vox Veritas says: Oct 19, 2008 1:29 PM

“WAHHHHHHHHHH! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Keep crying all you Steeler haters. You go to sleep every night hoping one day you team will be half as good and half as deep as the Steelers are every year, year after year after year. ”
    Even when they were 8-8 in ’06 and 6-10 in ’03?!?

16. Vox Veritas says: Oct 19, 2008 1:30 PM

“You’re always good for a laugh. Try this out:
    OJ hasn’t killed a single person in the last 2 years.”
    How do you know?
    “While I think your crush on him and all things Cowboys is cute”
    My crush on who?
    “in a special ed kind of way your constant attempts to make everything about the Cowboys is more than a little sad. ”
    You mean everything’s not about the Cowboys?