With starting quarterback Brodie Croyle out for the year and Damon Huard and Tyler Thigpen presenting the team with, essentially, a revolving door of crap, the Kansas City Chiefs reportedly have been in contact with Daunte Culpepper.
Per the Kansas City Star, the Chiefs talked with Culpepper on Monday
Culpepper, who serves as his own agent, retired before the start of the season.  When rumors recently surfaced regarding the possibility of the Lions pursuing him, Culpepper reiterated his position that he is retired.
“You would not believe how many times I have heard that ‘I am about to sign somewhere’ since retirement,” Culpepper wrote to us in an e-mail on October 10.  “I am still retired and am enjoying every minute coaching my son’s undefeated pee wee football team and overseeing my business affairs.”
The Chiefs also are reportedly preparing to bring former Bucs quarterback Bruce Gradkowski to town for a workout.
Though it’s about time that an NFL team realized that Culpepper is better than one or more of the franchise’s current options at the quarterback position, we can’t imagine why Culpepper would want to play for the Chiefs.
If his goal in coming out of retirement would be to generate some film that would be then used to market him as a free agent in 2009, he’d be better off playing for a team that can, you know, block long enough for him to set up and throw.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
  1. shuxion says: Oct 21, 2008 9:23 AM

Why not, can’t hurt.

2. Hollywood Wags says: Oct 21, 2008 9:33 AM

Herm Edwards should be fired.

3. VitoC1257 says: Oct 21, 2008 9:36 AM

Oh I’m sure he’s overseeing some affairs, alright. The guy is the biggest Cooz-hound since Tony Soprano.
    “This guy gets so much ass, he makes Michael Douglas seem gay” (Can’t remember what movie this line is from, but it had me rolling on the floor when I first heard it.)

4. Chief Wahoo says: Oct 21, 2008 9:40 AM

Culpepper might just be our best immediate option. I’d still love to see the Chiefs steal Andre Woodson from the practice squad he’s rotting on. At least give the guy a chance — I mean, they signed Ingle freaking Martin for Pete’s sake.

5. Kevin from Philly says: Oct 21, 2008 9:46 AM

Unfortunately, the only reason his son’s team is so good is because they have Randy Moss’ kid at WR. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

6. OutFoxed says: Oct 21, 2008 9:54 AM

It’s all about the money, baby!!!!

7. ShruggingGalt says: Oct 21, 2008 9:59 AM

Wait, isn’t Jeff George still available? I’m sure Big Sexy could point that out.

8. ButchD says: Oct 21, 2008 10:39 AM

well, you know what they always say about revolving doors, three pieces of crap are better than two

9. bwnyc says: Oct 21, 2008 10:40 AM

10. rasalas says: Oct 21, 2008 10:50 AM

I see what you did there, Florio: “Culpepper is really good. But don’t be surprised if he’s really bad. Just covering myself.”

11. mainephinfan says: Oct 21, 2008 11:15 AM

I thik they should give Jared Lorenzen a workout. He always looks good in pre-season and it takes a tank to bring him down which considering how awful the O-line is would be a huge plus.

12. kosarsmyidol says: Oct 21, 2008 11:15 AM

Can teams do quasi-trades after the deadline? What I mean is, could two teams and a player agree that one will cut a player and that the other will resign him? Even if a draft pick wouldn’t officially be reassigned, the team trading it could act as a proxy for the team receiving it, and could trade the drafted rookie officially later on. That sounds like a lot of paperwork…

13. erpete says: Oct 21, 2008 11:19 AM

Anybody else reminded of Christmas Vacation when Cousin Eddie couldn’t find a job because he was “holding out for management position”? If the Chiefs offer him the starting job, Daunte should jump all over that like they just put out fresh mashed potatoes at the buffet line.

14. empty13 says: Oct 21, 2008 12:24 PM

Peterson let all this happen.
    But… Culpepper sucked bad in a better situ in miami in 06.
    No upgrade over huard. There would be no moss so pullpecker would have to “win all by hisself”.
    He isn’t smart enough to read defenses or manage a game.

15. Spank says: Oct 21, 2008 1:33 PM

… bwnyc says:
    The Chiefs didn’t actually want to sign Culpepper. They wanted to play his son’s pee-wee team so they could get their second win. …
    Now thats funny… :)
    I thought the Herm said, “We play to win the game”?
    He aint doing that with any of the 5 QB’s mentioned in this article…

16. BuckFutter says: Oct 21, 2008 4:37 PM

For the love of God….Culpepper is TERRIBLE. And he was equally terrible (actually, marginally worse) BEFORE his knee injury in 2005….he went 2-5 with like 6 TDs and 12 INTs….with the same team that Brad Johnson went 7-2 with after his injury (with a 12:4 ratio).
    He’s DONE. He’s been done for a long time. He won’t help any team in any facet of the sport of football.

17. Tebow15 says: Oct 21, 2008 5:34 PM

Wouldn’t the Lions make sense for Culpepper? He could just loft up bombs to Calvin Johnson (similar to the Vikings/Randy Moss days) for the near future until the Lions can develop a quarterback. I mean, are you telling me that Culpepper is worse than Dan Orslovsky?