In an e-mail sent to various media outlets (and us), retired quarterback Daunte Culpepper has opted to give football another try.
Here’s what he said:
“A number of teams have contacted me since my retirement announcement and have provided some important information that has caused me to reconsider returning to the League.  As much as I have enjoyed my brief break from playing, I know that I love the game and I have some unfinished business in the NFL.  It has never been because of a lack of passion for the game but rather, the absence of a fair opportunity to compete and play that caused me to retire.  Now that there are some real opportunities that match my desire to play, I will choose the one that is the best fit for both the team and me so that I can continue my NFL career.  For the second half of this season, I hope to play a role in helping a team win some games.  I want to thank all of those who encouraged me to ‘keep a light on’ for the right NFL opportunity that would eventually come back to me.”
Culpepper recently spoke to the Chiefs, but they signed Quinn Gray to serve as the backup to Tyler Thigpen, since both Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard are on injured reserve.
Here’s a team to watch — the Broncos.  Patrick Ramsey was placed on IR after Monday night’s loss to the Patriots, giving Denver a need on the depth chart behind Jay Cutler.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
  1. stiller43 says: Oct 23, 2008 2:27 PM

No one saw THIS coming *rolls eyes*

2. GeauxSaints12 says: Oct 23, 2008 2:27 PM

I wonder what team he is talking about, because there are alot that need a QB.

3. Xpensive Wino says: Oct 23, 2008 2:28 PM

You gonna tell me the Lions couldn’t use him? They could pull guys out of the stands during their games that are better than the QBs they have right now.

4. Pea Tear Griffin says: Oct 23, 2008 2:29 PM

Would the Patriots still be on option at this point?
    I think I can speak for just about everyone when I say WE LOVE CULPEPPER TO MOSS!

5. downsouth49er says: Oct 23, 2008 2:31 PM

what an f’ing crybaby…didn’t get to pick what game to play so he’s not playing at all, i bet that was the kind of kid daunte was.

6. Favre2012 says: Oct 23, 2008 2:32 PM

7. icase81 says: Oct 23, 2008 2:32 PM

Seattle, San Fran, NE, Min, Cin all need QBs in a bad way right now

8. Heinekenfun says: Oct 23, 2008 2:34 PM

Culpepper is a quality QB as well as a quality person. The league can afford more guys like this. I just hope he chooses to get an agent to represent him and save him from himself. There’s a number of teams that could improve this year and for the next several years with a QB like Culpepper. KC, Detroit, the Jets, Cincy, Titans and dare I say…, Miami?

9. Tobias Funke says: Oct 23, 2008 2:34 PM

NE will never give any money to daunte culpepper.

10. omegalh says: Oct 23, 2008 2:35 PM

doesn’t he emerge when someone signs him?

11. empty13 says: Oct 23, 2008 2:37 PM

if a team doesnt have a moss, pullpecker is just another guy in a colorful suit.

12. Canadian Mike says: Oct 23, 2008 2:38 PM

I think a lot of you are forgetting that Daunte isn’t that good anymore. He has small hands, smells like cabage…

13. zygi milf says: Oct 23, 2008 2:40 PM

icase81 says:
    October 23rd, 2008 at 2:32 pm
    “Seattle, San Fran, NE, Min, Cin all need QBs in a bad way right now”
    Minnesota? No way. I can’t see him and Childress getting along after what happened in the past. He would definitely be an upgrade over Gus Frerotten, though.

14. bgj47 says: Oct 23, 2008 2:40 PM

Cassell is developing. I don’t want Culpepper in NE like I did right when Brady went down. Cassell by Week 17 will be a better QB in the Pats offense than Culpepper will, and the will be much better for team morale sticking with the same guy in Cassell. Our QB situation may not seem great right now but we are not in need of QB in a bad way

15. Chris from MD says: Oct 23, 2008 2:40 PM

I dunno if I’m crazy, but I’m thinking that it may just be the Patriots.
    Cassell got sacked 6 times the other night, and couldn’t make progressive reads to save his ass. Dante’ wanted to start, New England (or Detriot) would probably be his best chance.

16. graunkem says: Oct 23, 2008 2:41 PM

I could see him going to Detroit to get a chance to exact revenge on Childress in his last season as HC of MN.

17. RobJH says: Oct 23, 2008 2:45 PM

If it weren’t for his relationship with Chilly, he could be nasty in Minn with Berrian & Rice.
    But, I’m sure Dwayne Bowe wouldn’t mind him going to KC.
    The best would be Cincy though. Pep tossing bombs to OchoCinco and TJ would be fun to watch.

18. samthemantis says: Oct 23, 2008 2:46 PM

19. Chris from MD says: Oct 23, 2008 2:48 PM

“i think with the economy the way it is it be more about what team is willing to splurge on those 8xl pants necessary in order to literally get him in uniform. i guess they could pick up one (or four) of those nfl team tailgating tents from walmart and hire some tailors. ”
    We’re not talking about Jamarcus Russell, are we?

20. namhob says: Oct 23, 2008 2:48 PM

If the Bengals don’t make a run at him, then they better be picking a high quality QB to be a backup since Fitzpatrick has shown he can’t handle the gig. I’d even be fine seeing if Jordan Palmer can handle the job, but when he’s in, he’s relegated to hand off duty and “hike-and-chuck” screen passes.

21. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Oct 23, 2008 2:49 PM

No way in hell he comes on board in the middle of the season, not knowing the offense, presumably not in playing shape, and does anything even remotely useful on the field. Not going to happen.
    Coming back next year, maybe he has something left – I have my doubts – but maybe. This year, not a chance. It would be over a month before he could do anything at all useful.
    Maybe if a team wants to give him a look-see for the last couple of games after teaching him the offense and getting him in shape for a month, but I don’t know why a team would go to all the trouble for a guy who didn’t show much in his last two stops.

22. Raider Dave says: Oct 23, 2008 2:50 PM

Good for Daunte, I think he proved his point, and now I hope he gets a shot. Many teams have QB issues, even some good teams. Like PFT mentioned previously, Daunte is better than many of even the starting QB’s on teams out there. Why wouldn’t even the Cowboys give him a shot? Lord knows Romo isn’t always the best option, broken digit or not.

23. PkrNboro says: Oct 23, 2008 2:50 PM

Of all possible responses, “I will choose the one that is the best fit for” this notification: BARF.

24. gosox2673 says: Oct 23, 2008 2:52 PM

Not really sure how much it means, but Matt Cassel was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week. I doubt they will be looking to drop him in favor of Daunte.

25. Joe in Raleigh says: Oct 23, 2008 2:53 PM

Oh, man. You know it’s going to be Dallas. Jerry Jones can’t help himself.

26. sprovo says: Oct 23, 2008 2:53 PM

He sucks and so will whichever team signs him.
    There is a low amount of interest out there for Daunte and thats the only reason he did this. If he had the option he was looking for then he would announce the signing along with the unretirement. Maybe someone is interested but this smells like Daunte is trying to drum up a contender one last time before he settles.
    I thought Daunte didn’t want to take advantage of another player’s injury?
    You should be calling him out Florio and not babying him because he sent you some exclusive letters.

27. bwnyc says: Oct 23, 2008 2:57 PM

Picking him up in fantasy.

28. whodey says: Oct 23, 2008 3:00 PM

@ RobJH
    You forgot Randy Moss Jr., Chris Henry.

29. sureban says: Oct 23, 2008 3:04 PM

The Broncos?!?
    He came back to START; that is not happening in Denver.

30. asbaumga says: Oct 23, 2008 3:05 PM

Cassel is a high school quarterback (in the words of CC). He still misses wide open receivers left and right. He is horrible downfield and post of his passes (as shown Monday night) are within 10 yards of the LoS. Not to mention he takes TONS of sacks.
    You plug Daunte into the NE offense and call the same type of game, with a lot of rhythm throws and bubble screens, etc., and Daunte is 10x better than Cassell. Plus he has the Moss connection.

31. Nideak says: Oct 23, 2008 3:08 PM

One correction, one question.
    Correction: The opening line should read ‘In an e-mail sent to various media outlets (AND us), …’
    Minor, but necessary.
    Question: Does this mean his son’s peewee team is no longer undefeated?

32. colonel angus says: Oct 23, 2008 3:08 PM

Cowboys, cowboys, cowboys. They love ex-viking QB’s for some reason, and he should be able to chuck it around to all those reciever’s. Just a thought!

33. PFTiswhatitis says: Oct 23, 2008 3:11 PM

thats emerging?

34. SoCal Bengal says: Oct 23, 2008 3:12 PM

i’m starting to pull for this guy…

35. goat says: Oct 23, 2008 3:15 PM

Joe in Raleigh has it correct.
    And the Boys take yet another chance….

36. kellyb9 says: Oct 23, 2008 3:16 PM

I know everyones looking for someone to jump in and be Tom Brady. But Dante Culpepper isn’t that guy, I assure you. So give Cassel a break. He’s developing, not as fast as I would like, but he is a work in progress. Sure, he had 6 sacks, but he looked a lot more comfortable in the second half against Denver. I, for one, like what the Pats are doing. They are developing this guy for the future, and they are staying behind him regardless of how bad things look. The guy is 4-2, and sure he’s not too great at reads yet, that’ll come with time and experience. As long as they can keep Morris, Faulk, or BenJarvis running, they should be fine. Matt Cassel isn’t Tom Brady, but he doesn’t have to be.

37. ecsacker6306 says: Oct 23, 2008 3:18 PM

I don’t care what anyone says, daunte culpepper SHOULD play for the Vikings. they have a quality running back, a suitable offensive line, a defense that would be a whole lot better, in my opinion, if they could get off the field for a decent amount of time, and receivers that can get underneath the ball, especially with the cannon that pep has. I really want him to succeed. it seems to me that daunte isn’t a cry baby but a competitor. it (according to him) didn’t care about the money, but a place to compete. I wish him luck.

38. florio4prez says: Oct 23, 2008 3:20 PM

“Patrick Ramsey was placed on IR after Monday night’s loss to the Patriots, giving Denver a need on the depth chart behind Jay Cutler.”
    Some may reasonably argue, “ahead of” Jay Cutler.

39. TVC15 says: Oct 23, 2008 3:21 PM

When are Jeff George and Randall Cunningham coming back?

40. mrcmos says: Oct 23, 2008 3:24 PM

To Prospective teams, a few words of warning…
    Bad Knees
    Did I mention SLOW
    Oh…and HE FUMBLES!

41. joemommascallin says: Oct 23, 2008 3:39 PM

The Love Boat
    soon will be making another run.
    The Love Boat promises something for everyone.
    Set a course for adventure,
    Your mind on a new romance.
    OOoops, sorry, was I singing outloud again???

42. omegalh says: Oct 23, 2008 3:39 PM

Are you talking about 2-time MVP Kurt Warner?

43. Hugh Culverhouse says: Oct 23, 2008 3:46 PM

If he was any good, Jon Gruden would be sniffing around.
    Only a fool hires himself as his agent.

44. brent84 says: Oct 23, 2008 3:46 PM

As a Seahawk fan… I’d love to see Pep drop bombs into the hands of … ah damn we still dont have a wide receiver.

45. dustin_chandler says: Oct 23, 2008 4:00 PM

It is defiantly not Dallas. Ole’ “my poor pinky/pseudo brett favre tough guy” will be back soon enough.
    But KC and Detriot should be begging for him to play if they had any sort of competitive bone in there body.
    but… they don’t and they give up on seasons after 6 games every year… so…
    I’m going to say the most exciting thing about all of this is…. if for some reason the Pats went and got him. You know that would stir things up in the AFC right now. Just put someone on NE that can half way frickin’ throw the ball and they would be set for another run at a championship. thank about it. the AFC is weak right now. If I were the PATS I would so go for it.
    Especially with the news that Tom Brady’s infection might cause him to be out even longer.

46. ahs says: Oct 23, 2008 4:04 PM

Is Mitch Albom his speechwriter? Tuesdays with Daunte? Yur dun…

47. zygi milf says: Oct 23, 2008 4:42 PM

joemommascallin says:
    October 23rd, 2008 at 3:39 pm
    “The Love Boat
    soon will be making another run.
    The Love Boat promises something for everyone.
    Set a course for adventure,
    Your mind on a new romance.
    OOoops, sorry, was I singing outloud again???”
    Let me guess, you’re JimmySmith and you forgot your password and had to create a new login name.
    Such a timely reference, too, considering the coach from that event is gone, and so are most of the players that were involved. (Not that anything that did happen was that bad – it was, afterall, a private party on a rented boat. Not much different than what goes on in the VIP in a nightclub.)

48. KrazyKarl says: Oct 23, 2008 4:43 PM

so he tells us that he retires because he didn’t want to take a QB job based on someone getting injured and now this? I used to like Cul but now this crybaby talk is getting way old. what he’s really saying is “Nobody wanted to pay me what I wanted so I retired. Now with injuries my price has been met. I’m baaaack baby!”

49. jeffovikes says: Oct 23, 2008 4:46 PM

Whatever. Like I said before, his “retirement” was just public pouting.

50. Corner_Blitz says: Oct 23, 2008 4:57 PM

He’s going to go the Pats and its going to be Daunte to Moss all over again.

51. captainmick says: Oct 23, 2008 4:59 PM

You know when a good time to come out of retirement is? When a team wants you. This announcement is hilarious, Daunte is so stoopid. I would wonder why Florio doesnt have more fun at Daunte’s expense but we all know that when an athlete acknoledges PFT in the least, Mike can’t get to crotch nuzzling fast enough.

52. sureban says: Oct 23, 2008 5:57 PM

Minnesota would be perfect for Daunte. Unfortunately that will NEVER happen.
    SoCal Bengal says: October 23rd, 2008 at 3:12 pm
    i’m starting to pull for this guy…
    Somebody REALLY likes Culpepper!

53. Fade 2 Black says: Oct 23, 2008 6:00 PM

@Canadian Mike,,,
    Yeah, I met Daunte one time.
    He did smell like cabbage….

54. liberrian says: Oct 23, 2008 6:02 PM

Daunte’s best shot is to land wherever Scott Linehan lands. It was only while under Linehan’s careful tutelage at MN that Daunte really flourished as a QB.

55. partner55416386 says: Oct 23, 2008 6:48 PM

With JTO struggling in San Fran and a new coach maybe he could fit in there.

56. centeredwarrior says: Oct 23, 2008 8:06 PM

I’d love to see him in Detroit. Orlovsky is probably NOT the QB of the future, and from the rumblings I’ve heard, Drew Henson is jumping over Drew Stanton as the #2 QB. Whatever’s the case, neither Drew is probably going to figure into this season’s plans. Let Daunte bring his cannon in and see how Megatron develops, maybe they can open up the run to see if Kevin Smith has what it takes to be a special player at this level.
    At least he might give the Lions a chance to stay in a few shootouts, since the defense won’t be stopping anyone any time soon.
    Besides, with all that water around, I’m sure he could find a Love Boat nearby if he needs to get away from the stress of being on a crappy team.

57. JuicyMelon says: Oct 23, 2008 8:21 PM

Wow, I wish the Vikings and him could work things out. We never got to see him mature to the quarterback that so many believed he could be. Hopefully he does come back and light it up.

58. mrcmos says: Oct 23, 2008 8:50 PM

Uh, No.
    Referring to Culpecker. If you look way back on this sites PFT Pic of the day, you’ll find a pic of Culpecker with his new name “He Fumbles”. This guy just plain sucks. It’s over Culpecker. He’s slow, bad knees and HE FUMBLES!

59. empty13 says: Oct 23, 2008 9:31 PM

pullpecker does not / can not read defenses. NEVER HAS.
    the lions cant pass block so they have to have a mobile qb anyway. THIS DISQUALIFIES PULLPECKER.
    tiny hands especially for such a big man. fumble-itis!
    in daytwa, both drews figure into this season’s plans. one long brutal tryout. as soon as orlovsky really stinks it up… a drew will go in.
    amazingly, orlovsky hasnt stunk it up that bad yet. yet. speaking of cannons, he managed to launch a long one to calvin last week…
    pullpecker isnt all some folks think he is cracked up to be. he had a losing record WITH RANDY MOSS. AND HE HAS A REALLY BAD RECORD WITHOUT MOSS.
    the last few years, he hasnt even been as good as the much maligned jo-ey. some of yall need to wake up and smell the java.

60. JimmySmith says: Oct 23, 2008 10:01 PM

What I find entertaining is the fact that this spring, Pullpecker was offered a million dollars to be a back up in GB and turned it down.
    That’s his right to do so but now flash forward 6 months and he is still unemployed. I can’t help but wonder if he is naturally stupid or does he have to work hard at it.
    Given he is not very bright, he would be perfect in MN with their head coach who was never accused of working for NASA.

61. cheeseweasel says: Oct 24, 2008 1:15 PM

Make up with Childress and come to the Vikes.