HOLMES CITED FOR MARIJUANA POSSESSION

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes, who ran afoul of the law twice not long after he was selected by the Steelers in round one of the 2006 draft, is in trouble again.
On Thursday afternoon, Holmes was cited in Pittsburgh for possession of marijuana.
His SUV was stopped because it matched the description of a vehicle that had been involved in a crime.  Police then discovered the marijuana.
“When they pulled him over, they found there was a smell of burnt marijuana in the vehicle,” said Sgt. James Vogel.  “Mr. Holmes was very cooperative with officers and turned over some items to us and was subsequently summoned for those items . . . a couple of marijuana blunts.”
Holmes wasn’t taken into custody, but he was given a summons to appear in court, and he was released.
And while the authorities in Pittsburgh didn’t give Holmes a pass, Sgt. Vogel has gone to bat for him.
“We wouldn’t expect a steelworker to be laid off or suspended without pay [for marijuana possession],” said Vogel.  “I wouldn’t expect a police officer, firefighter or a member of the Steelers.”
[Editor’s note:  If/when my house is on fire, I hope that they dispatch the guys from the firehouse with the firefigthers who spend their down time smoking pot.  They’ll be so much mellower while trying to save my life.]
But Sgt. Vogel didn’t write the league’s rules for things of this nature.  If Holmes is convicted of or pleads guilty to the charges, he’ll be subject to discipline under the substance-abuse policy.  For a first offense, Holmes faces a maximum suspension of four games, without pay.
Earlier this year, Pats running back Kevin Faulk was suspended for one game after admitting to marijuana possession.
Technically, the Steelers aren’t permitted to discipline Holmes separately.  And they likely won’t, given that Holmes is a key contributor.  (See Harrison, James and Wilson, Cedrick.)

78 responses to “HOLMES CITED FOR MARIJUANA POSSESSION

1. The Sargeant has not problem with a POLICE OFFICER being in possession of marijuana? Umm, aren’t officers supposed to uphold the law, not violate it? No wonder Pittsburgh has so many problems.

2. And the Ravens have “Thugs”!?!
    Seems to me a few of your players would be in jail if they weren’t in the NFL…..

3. the ravens assist in murder plots holmes had a little weed kind of a different story ravens fan. mat jones is playing after cutting up lines i think holes will be ok smoking his doobie.

4. Santonio Holmes sucks. Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, and Marques Colston are much better WR’s from the same draft, 2006.

5. Im not a fan of Plax, but in sure Steelers fans will apply a different standard to Holmes. Something like, ” He hasn’t been convicted of anything, so what’s the big deal? I mean, an average worker being paid normal people money wouldn’t be suspended, so why should a guy making millions in a league that prohibits smoking weed be suspended? I mean Joe the Plumber wouldn’t have been suspended.”

6. Steelers Shaun “the ravens assist in murder plots holmes had a little weed kind of a different story ravens fan. mat jones is playing after cutting up lines i think holes will be ok smoking his doobie.”
    Wow, what a well constructed articulate argument from a fan of a team who did nothing but steroids and blow on their way to their 4 Lombardi trophies (Superbowl XL did not count, as it was awarded to the Stealers by the referees)

7. Ironically the Sergeant sounds more ridiculous supporting Holmes now than if they just left him go beforehand with a warning.

8. If only there were more blunts in the league: All these vicious hits would become a thing of the past, Ricky Williams would dominate, and Kornheiser’s commentary would be explained (but still wouldn’t make sense).
    Why does LT wear a visor? Yeah, he has an eye infection.

9. “the ravens assist in murder plots holmes had a little weed kind of a different story ravens fan. mat jones is playing after cutting up lines i think holes will be ok smoking his doobie.”
    Typical Stoolers fan…The man was acquitted! If you wanna blame him for having A-hole friends and being in the wrong place at the wrong time, well you’d be right….but I think its time to let it go…..
    By the way, I’ve got a sworn government job and if I were arrested with marijuana, I’d be suspended IMMEDIATELY, not after I go to court!!!

10. Steelers Shaun – the ravens assist in murder plots holmes had a little weed kind of a different story ravens fan. mat jones is playing after cutting up lines i think holes will be ok smoking his doobie.
    No, it’s OK, it’s just weed, breaking the law and against the substance abuse policy. So what’s the harm?

11. Does anyone else find it hilarious that the cop actually called them “blunts”? And the fact that he wouldn’t have a problem if a cop or firefighter smoked? This Sgt. Vogel definitely likes to get high…

12. “And the Ravens have “Thugs”!?!
    Seems to me a few of your players would be in jail if they weren’t in the NFL”
    Hmm, sounds like that could describe old Ray Ray as well…

13. “Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, and Marques Colston are much better WR’s from the same draft, 2006.”
    Didn’t realize they all came from the same draft yet Holmes was the only 1st rounder. So the draft really is a crapshoot.
    The irony is that Colston is arguably the best WR from that class yet he almost didn’t get drafted.
    Weed isn’t the worst thing in the world but when you’re getting paid millions to follow the NFL’s rules why take the chance? There will be plenty of time to smoke weed when he retires at 35 as a multi-millionaire. NFL players amaze me with their stupidity.

14. “Smoking weed makes someone a thug? Interesting generalization.”

15. “BBenSuperman says:
    October 24th, 2008 at 12:57 am
    “And the Ravens have “Thugs”!?!
    Seems to me a few of your players would be in jail if they weren’t in the NFL”
    Hmm, sounds like that could describe old Ray Ray as well…”
    Honestly, it describes a lot of players in the NFL, including Ray! Most of these guys have average to below-average intelligence and they’re young when coming into the league and some become instant millionaires. These guys still wanna “ball” and don’t think about the consequences of their actions. As these guys age, they (hopefully) learn from their mistakes and should help the younger players. Ray has become a model citizen in Baltimore, despite the usual “murderer” comments from the Stooler/Ray haters and I think gets the new defensive guys in line as far as how they act/what they do when they’re off….

16. wow holmes…youre an idiot, maybe its just me but if I was getting paid millions of dollars I would leave the blunt at home
    guess sweed will be getting some more playing time now

17. Look at all the Steelers haters crawling out of their little holes. Pittsburgh is 5-1 and sitting comfortably on top the AFC North. Keep hating.
    As for Ravens fans, you guys lost all privileges to comment on legal matters in the NFL when you let a murderer stay on your team.

18. No offense, but I’d take Brandon Marshall or Greg Jennings over Colston in a heartbeart. By the way, I love Chris Johnson, what an awesome pick.

19. As a diehard Stillers fan, I can only say that this is indeed a very sad day.
    Now, we are going to have to look into the eyes of the fans of one to four to six of our opponents after the game with their team this year or next and say,
    “Sorry, that really wasn’t fair. We kicked yer arses with one of our best players suspended.”
    Ah, wait. No. It wouldn’t have been fair if THEY were without one of THEIR best players.
    Nevermind.

20. Uhhh, Sarge, what about driving under the influence of drugs???? If the odor was coming from the car the time it was stopped, then someone had just smoked it up. I guess Santonio “Blunt” Holmes was lucky these cops didn’t care.

21. Thank you, Sgt. Vogel. My thoughts exactly. What a player does in his free time is between him and the law. How is penalizing a guy for something the government already punished him for not double jeopardy?

22. Vox Veritas says:
    October 24th, 2008 at 12:04 am
    Yeeeah I don’t want to hear about Dallas cops ever again
    ______________________
    Why not? The Pittsburgh police put Santonio’s name on the report.

23. packers233,
    Double jeopardy only applies to being tried in court. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any disciplinary action taken by your employer. He broke the NFL Substance Abuse policy and if convicted he’ll face the music. It’s pretty simple.
    I’m very dissapointed in his stupidity though. If you’re going to break the rules then do it in your home, not driving around town. For that matter, it’s not exactly a performance enhancer and he shouldn’t be using it at all during the season. He should wait until he retires then smoke all he wants.

24. Ummm…I am a full time firefighter….If I was found in possession of pot I would be suspended and forced into a rehab program for at least 30 days.

25. It’s a cultural thing, not a team thing. I can guarantee you if your favorite team has guys from the hood playing for it, they have people smoking dope on it.
    And if the player in question is productive, the team will stand behind him. That’s a winning=money thing. If he’s down on the depth chart they’ll cut him. That’s a “you’re more trouble than you’re worth” thing.

26. One of the most honorable things that the Steelers have going for them is that when one of their players does something against the law or of questionable morals, they council them and often send them packing. Considering they are one of the elite teams in the league year in and year out (obviously not EVERY year, since I know semantics on this thread get irrationally beat to death)but, historically, the Steelers are one of the more strict teams when it comes to conduct control and have still played well.
    In other words, Holmes is not the only reciever the Steelers can employ, so, if this is a problem (which I’m sorry Mr. Vogel, illegal drug use is a problem) then I’m certain it will be dealt with and I’m certain that if it continues, Holmes will be dropped.

27. “How is penalizing a guy for something the government already punished him for not double jeopardy?”
    Because double jeopardy only applies to the GOVERNMENT punishing you twice.
    Will you retards PLEASE stop waving around the Bill of Rights when you haven’t even read it?

28. So I guess when Holmes said he preferred playing on Grass he didn’t mean what we thought he meant.

29. It is kinda funny. If he were a regular guy, the police would have done exactly the same thing, issue a summons then go. If he were a regular guy his boss probably never finds out and probably doesn’t care. Whoever compared this to their government job is an idiot. I would hope that federal employees have higher standards than do football players. What he did was dumb and illegal, but in no way effects the lives of other people. You want to bury someone in this story, look to the officer. There is the biggest problem in this whole thing.

30. How long til the generic prepared statement that his agent gives him to read, about how he apologizes to the fans and regrets and distraction this may cause for the team. Blah blah blah.

31. TheAzzMan,
    Dude, it isn’t cause you are 5-1. We hate the Steelers because you have so many fans that are not football intelligent and like the Steelers cause they are good and on TV all the time. We hate the Steelers cause you wave little yellow towels that make no sense at games home and away. We hate you because every weed smoking thug wears a Bettis jersey like he is now part of the game cause he found it on sale at TJ Maxx. We hate the Steelers because nothing you guys do is ever wrong, and every other guy in the NFL is trying to wrong the Steelers. We hate you because you can’t admit Hines Ward is a cheap shot artist, legal hits or not, you can’t admit that Kimo went low on Carson in 2005, that the refs didn’t hand you a Super Bowl in 2005, that Big Ben is overrated beyond belief, that you got a bunch of thugs low lifes on your team, and most of all that you think your winning is going to last forver. Wear another throw back jersey, drink some more IC Light, and roll another blunt. Pittsburgh is just want the name says, the pits!! Your town sucks, your rivers are dirty and IC Light tastes like my pee after a night of drinking Microbrews.
    Go Bengals, Go Ravens, Go Browns! Anyone but the b1tche$ with little yellow towels. Who Dey!

32. Hey I have an idea, why not suspend the players for violating league rules and the money that they lose for not playing go back into a fund where the price of tickets and food are more reasonable to purchase.

33. The cop is out of his mind you cant get a job at Micky D with out taking a drug test you can not stock the shelfs at Kmart if you fail a drug test
    If I got busted for pot I would be out of work and out of my profession for life no if and or buts about it
    And I am not a cop fireman or NFL spoiled brat
    The NFL does not need a bunch of pot heads running around out on the pitch

34. I highly doubt most of the people in here have any problem with marijuana, they are just posting these comments because it happens to be a player from a team they hate. I mean, do you really care that the person Holmes smokes weed? Would you really care if he did it if he was on your favorite team? I really think the answer to these last two questions is no. It’s the same thing with Hines Ward. Do you think that the types of blocks he makes are dirty? Possibly. Would you complain about them if he was on your favorite team? Hell no.

35. As a Steelers fan, I am very disappointed in Holmes. When his contract expires, I expect that the Steelers will let him go. What a dumb-ass.
    CD

36. Wow!
    I wish I played WR for the Steelers, then I could smoke blunts all day long and not worry about any consequences.
    Also, please suspend Brandon Marshall again for being under the suspision of beating his girlfriend but just go ahead and turn a blind eye to Holmes here.
    What a city Pittsburgh must be.

37. WhoPlaysWhere
    I’m sorry you need to speak up, we can’t hear all the way down there with the worst record in the league, 0-7 that is something to be proud.

38. WhoPlaysWhere says:
    October 24th, 2008 at 8:05 am
    TheAzzMan,
    I think I have a man-crush.

39. “His SUV was stopped because it matched the description of a vehicle that had been involved in a crime.”
    AKA, DWB (Driving While Black)

40. 4G63 says:
    October 23rd, 2008 at 11:58 pm
    And the Ravens have “Thugs”!?!
    If Santonio is lighting up the bomb during the week of a huge game vs. The Super Bowl Champion New York Giants, you really have to wonder how many players in the league are smoking bud in-season (everyone knows players smoke out during their off-season).
    Santonio Holmes : “Damn,that was a hell-of-a practice today. Glad I got a fat one rolled in the glove-box out in the whip.”

41. TheAzzMan,
    _____________________________________________________________________
    Wow you really are pathetic. You must lead a sad sad little life to carry such hatred towards a football team. I’m guessing by the “Who Dey!” that you are a Bengals fan…. Keep talking about Ben being overrate while he wins division championships, super bowls, goes to Pro Bowls, and carries a QB rating over 98 for 3 out of 4 years. If you don’t like the Steelers thats fine. Just don’t run your mouth like a 12 year old, it makes you sound like a complete cry baby. Waw waw waw. Completely pathetic.

42. “His SUV was stopped because it matched the description of a vehicle that had been involved in a crime. ”
    Black man, SUV. He had to know he was bound to be pulled over sooner or later. Why get high in your car? Idiot.
    I guess that’s what you get when you draft a player from Ohio State.

43. Sit him for 4 games. If he effs up again, cut him. Next man in.
    To “TheAzzMan”, mostly typical rants against the Steelers, I can take it. You only show your stupidity when you say how Ben is overrated. You do need to seek some professional help about your obsession with the Steelers though. You sound like a child crying for help.

44. “VitoC1257 says:
    October 24th, 2008 at 9:05 am
    4G63 says:
    October 23rd, 2008 at 11:58 pm
    And the Ravens have “Thugs”!?!
    Wow, smoking a blizzie makes you a thug? News to me. Hey, George W. blazes up, would you call him a thug?…Nevermind, bad example.”
    As I said earlier in a response:”No. Smoking weed doesn’t make you a thug just like playing D for the Ravens doesn’t make you a thug…….make sense?”
    Does that help you out?

45. “…. IC Light tastes like my pee after a night of drinking Microbrews.”
    Just thinking that you can compare the two is more than a little alarming.

46. So much hate on this board… as far as Azzman you are a complete idiot. Kimo’s hit wasn’t intentional, Big Ben is a top 3 quarterback in the game. Which calls were given to the Steelers in the XL? The offensive pass interference that occurred in front of the referee? (I admit it’s not called a lot but it was a penalty). Are you referring to blatant holding calls that negated huge plays for the Seahawks? Just f’n ridiculous… go back and watch the superbowl without a bias and you will see the only calls that were wrong was the uneccesary roughness on Matt Hasselback and the other 2 were against the Steelers – the block in the back by Big Ben and the fumble by Jeramy Stevens were botched calls. Smoke weed everyday!

47. We’re gonna rise up (wake and bake!), gonna rise up (wake and bake!), we’re gonna rise up (wake and bake!), early in the mornin’
    Leftover Salmon

48. “Wow, smoking a blizzie makes you a thug? News to me.”
    No. Smoking a blunt does not make one a thug.
    However, if you smoke blunts and…
    get busted beating on women,
    get busted for disorderly conduct,
    get busted for domestic violence and assault,
    and have three kids with two different women…
    You might be a thug.

49. I think Vogel was high when he made his statement. I suppose he’s right, a member of the fire or police department would not be suspended without pay for getting busted for pot… they’d get their dumb arses fired. What is this dummy thinking making a stupid statement like that?

50. Vox Veritas says:
    October 24th, 2008 at 9:55 am
    “Wow, smoking a blizzie makes you a thug? News to me.”
    No. Smoking a blunt does not make one a thug.
    However, if you smoke blunts and…
    get busted beating on women,
    get busted for disorderly conduct,
    get busted for domestic violence and assault,
    and have three kids with two different women…
    You might be a thug.
    _________________________________________

51. Hey Brewdog21
    You still smarting about that superbowl? For crying out loud, get a life!
    The steelers made the plays and won. Refs or not….it’s over.
    GET A LIFE!!!!!

52. Not to take a Michael Irvin line of reasoning here, but I’m guessing the officer gave him a sobriety test and that he passed, otherwise he would not have let Santonio drive away on his own accord. It’s quite possible that it wasn’t Holmes who was doing the smoking in his car.

53. look, i’m as dissapointed in holmes as anyone, but azzman, you really need to seek professional help. if you really have this much pent up rage and anger as well as out-and-out HATRED for the steelers,i would take this as a sign that something is mentally and/or emotionally wrong with you. do me a favor, print out your comment, show it to your closest family member, and see what their respose is. if they don’t immediantly make you go see a shrink, then no one really gives a crap about you. i do feel bad for you to live in such misery over A FOOTBALL TEAM.
    on a seperate note, always makes me feel good to see 150 comments on any story about the steelers. much like the patriots, it proves we’re in the upper echelon of elite pro teams. unless you’re a fan, you’re a hater.

54. DanSnydersPetCeratto says:
    October 24th, 2008 at 10:48 am
    The police did say that Holmes wasn’t “under the influence”. I don’t know how much credence to put into that considering the other lame brain things that Sgt said. Either way Holmes shouldn’t be around it at all if he has any sense. Personally I don’t think he has much.

55. Steeler fans,
    GET OFF THE BANDWAGON!!! If you can’t see that Ben is overrated, you need to stop drinking the water out of the 3 rivers. Show me where he has made a difficult pass over 20 yards and has performed well when he didn’t have a stellar run game to open up his passing lanes. Keep throwing the five yard out and the swing pass to wheelchair Willie Parker.
    Once again it goes back to what I said, Steelers fans are not football intelligent.
    Want an example: show up at Fat’s Bar and Grill in Stockton, CA on any Steelers game day. 95% of the fans who cheer for the Squelers there have never even been to Pennsylvania, nevermind actually going to Hienz Field. The only players on the team they know are the ones they can name off by looking around the bar for jerseys.
    I know, I know, you have 5 rings and my team, the Bengals (proudly support) do not have any. I would rather support an 0-7 team than be a Steelers fan anyday. 95% complete morons!

56. “Why not? The Pittsburgh police put Santonio’s name on the report. ”
    That’s because an actual crime was committed.

57. “Tell the truth. If this had happened before the trade deadline you know Jerry would be killing himself to trade for him.”
    Who needs Santonio Holmes when you have Sam Hurd?

58. To The Jimmy,
    Your comment makes me laught out loud. Classic, you got me there!!
    Rephrased: IC Light tasted like what I would imagine my urine tasting like after a night of drinking microbrews.
    Thank God its Friday!

59. @WhoPlaysWhere
    Sounds like youre just extremely jealous. Since the Steelers have a running game that allows Ben to throw quick passes, obviously Ben is overrated. I suppose ranking 4th all time in passer rating and 5th all time in yards per attempt means nothing. This year he is 13/27 between 20 and 30 yards (83.7 pass rating) and 8/11 from 31+ (119.55), man o man those are some awful stats eh?
    As for going to California to find die-hard Steelers fan who have gone to games, why dont you go to Texas and see if any of the Bengals fans down there (if your fanbase actually goes that far) and see how many of them can name every member of the team and how many times they’ve gone to Paul Brown Stadium.
    And making generalized comments about a teams fanbase makes you look like the biggest idiot in the world. Every single one of my friends, and yes we are all die hard Stillers fans (as we pronounce it up here, as I’m sure you’ll soon make fun of our accents), can name just about every single player on our team, but I suppose that just makes us complete football moron’s.
    Ill take my team’s 5 superbowl rings, numerous Hall of Famers, our terrible towels, and the good old IC light.
    as for Azzman
    Kimo hit carson as he was falling off a lineman, wasnt like he dove at his legs (you try falling as a 300lb nt and see if you can stop your momentum half way and stand back up to tackle the QB) and as for Hines, I guess you better call the refs next week to make sure they throw flags on all of his illegal actions, but we both know that wont work

60. I really hate when people lump Steelers fans into one group. Are there those people who will root for the Steelers just because they are good, and possibly even a “trendy” team to cheer for? Yes, but I think every team in the NFL with a consistant winning record has those types of fans (see Dallas Cowboys).
    Do you expect us to stop being Steelers fans just because you can point out some deficiencies that the team has, or you can write an entire book crying about how the NFL gave them the Super Bowl back in 2005? There’s nothing that makes you anymore of a loyal fan just because you root for a losing team, but there’s also nothing wrong with rooting for a losing team.
    What the hell happened to friendly rivalries with NFL fans? Have all of you Bengals/Browns fans gotten so bitter about us beating you guys the past few years that you have to resort to bitching about the Steelers getting “special treatment” from the NFL? Instead of blaming us, why don’t you look at the half-assed job that the management is doing with your teams. I’d rather have owners associated with casinos than ones that clearly don’t know how to run NFL teams.