WILFORK CALLS MEETING "VERY PRODUCTIVE"

Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork addressed the media today about his meeting yesterday with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, a meeting he referred to as “very productive.”
Wilfork didn’t say specifically what discipline Goodell has handed down, but we’ve heard Wilfork will be fined but not suspended.
I think both sides were happy,” Wilfork said of his conversation with Goodell, per Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe. “I got a chance for him to hear my side of my story and how I approach the game. I got a chance to hear what he had to say about the whole situation of my past history and playing football and all that good stuff. I think we both left pretty happy.”
Wilfork said he explained to Goodell that he plays hard, and Goodell explained to him that playing hard is fine, but he needs to stop playing hard as soon as the play is over.
“I play hard, and that’s one thing I stressed to him — I’m very passionate about the game,” Wilfork said. “Sometimes it might be too hard, and I told him that. We’ll go from here. I told him I’ll try to change my style up a little bit, and hopefully, get a better slate.”
Here’s a look at Wilfork’s comments:

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
36 Responses to “WILFORK CALLS MEETING "VERY PRODUCTIVE"”
  1. CameraMan says: Oct 29, 2008 1:01 PM

“I’m very passionate about the game”, so passionate that he will bury an elbow into someone’s knee or head.

2. svnrdr says: Oct 29, 2008 1:06 PM

“I think both sides were happy,”….ending

3. ironballsmcginty says: Oct 29, 2008 1:06 PM

Sorry Colts, Peyton will have to do it through the air with a BIG push coming at him up the middle.

4. partner55416386 says: Oct 29, 2008 1:13 PM

Maybe he can do UFC in the off season.

5. sonvar says: Oct 29, 2008 1:29 PM

Is the same conversation productive if he got suspended though?

6. John says: Oct 29, 2008 1:40 PM

And here comes the haters…

7. tom3565 says: Oct 29, 2008 1:43 PM

8. BUCK NASTY says: Oct 29, 2008 1:48 PM

9. Tsaikotic says: Oct 29, 2008 1:53 PM

who the hell does he think hes fooling..”I told him I’ll try to change my style up a little bit, and hopefully, get a better slate.”..
    after as many season as he’s played in the “style” he plays in, theres no way he chnges..Goodell is a fool to not look at his past and suspend him.

10. PFTiswhatitis says: Oct 29, 2008 1:55 PM

Vince is the man. You pinkhat haters that want football to be played in ballerina shoes can kiss Wilforks huge ass.

11. DarthJay says: Oct 29, 2008 1:58 PM

12. Nikos says: Oct 29, 2008 2:04 PM

Hey CM,
    It’s football and it’s a contact sport. Why don’t we just make it glorified flag football to appease you and all youre pink hat wearing friends.

13. Simdogga77 says: Oct 29, 2008 2:16 PM

As a Pats fan, thanks Commish!

14. Murabma says: Oct 29, 2008 2:17 PM

Nice job, Florio–where are your usual editorial comments or has Bob Kraft got your tongue (or perhaps he has threatened to cut access perhaps if you don’t “play ball”)?
    What a joke, but it shouldn’t be a shock to anyone based on past Pats*’ (grammar question, in the possessive of “Pats*” does the apostrophe go before or after the asterisk?) treatment that he’d skate here too….

15. radneck says: Oct 29, 2008 2:32 PM

He explained to Goodell that he has to play extra hard now that the Pats* can’t cheat anymore.

16. TCLARK says: Oct 29, 2008 2:38 PM

17. pfitz says: Oct 29, 2008 2:46 PM

I want to know why Lohsman slammed his knee into Vince s elbow

18. TBIH says: Oct 29, 2008 3:03 PM

Another day, another Pats player gets a pass from the Commish.
    Shocker.
    Goodell was quoted as saying, “mhmmmfh, hmmmmfn, lmmmmfmt”
    Which was later translated to…”I can’t talk now, I’m too busy giving Mr. Kraft his weekly tongue bath”.

19. Murabma says: Oct 29, 2008 3:09 PM

“Didn’t everyone celebrate when someone did something like this to Tom Brady? You know, start websites selling shirts and starting the Bernard Pollard fan club? Whiny bunch of hypocrites…”
    A. not everyone was celebrating when Brady was hurt and more importantly B. it’s pretty clear to unbiased observers that Pollard did not intentionally hurt Tom Brady, but just played to the whistle–his job is to tackle the QB which he tried to do from the position he was blocked into, nothing more, unlike Fat Vince who goes out of his way to intend to injure people

20. CameraMan says: Oct 29, 2008 3:12 PM

“So let me get this straight. Several players are busted for a roid masking agent and still the only team fans want to jump on are the Pats.”
    You mean those players who just recently tested postive and very likely could see a 4 game suspension this season? Yeah, the league is in the process of dealing with those guys. Speaking of which, what happened with Nick ‘Scarface’ Kazcur? I guess 300 pills isn’t enough to warrant a suspension. Wheels of justice turn slowly in Mr. Kraft’s neighborhood.

21. wdkjr says: Oct 29, 2008 3:28 PM

I just hope Vince didn’t hurt his hand on that big hard helmet those cheating quarterbacks are wearing now…..

22. LuvThatDirtyWatah says: Oct 29, 2008 3:33 PM

Wilfork is one charming dude. It surprises me not that Goodell didn’t suspend. In fact, I bet Goodell walked away chuckling…

23. tom3565 says: Oct 29, 2008 3:38 PM

I got an idea why don’t all you Patriot fans get over the alledged cheap shot on Tom Brady. It is unbelievable how you are for your Patriots to hurt other team’s players, but Tom Brady gets hurt during a play and you all want to whine. Football is rough game but why should Wilfork or the Patriots get a pass every time. Your team not good enough to play by the rules with the rest of the league.

24. Scout says: Oct 29, 2008 3:56 PM

Yeah, after the events of last year, I can say the league is definitely biased in favor of the Patriots and Belichick.
    Are you fu@!#ing kidding me?
    FYI I believe Kazcur’s case is pending. One of the league’s truly good people, Kevin Faulk, was already suspended for carrying a blunt or four. Rodney was suspended for HGH last year.

25. TCLARK says: Oct 29, 2008 4:15 PM

tom3565
    Dude I’m on this website so much I would get fired if my boss found out. I haven’t seen Pats fans complaining about the Pollard hit. The Pollard fan club,yes that was cheep. See we Pats fans don’t whine or make excusses like the “haters” do. We used to suck. We are enjoying the ride while it lasts. I’m not calling Pats fans the best or anything like that, they could definatly be louder at home games. But excuse monsters they are not. You just mad that our back up is better than your starter.

26. Ralphie says: Oct 29, 2008 4:24 PM

Tom3565, you want some whine with that cheese?

27. CanadaBob says: Oct 29, 2008 4:54 PM

@ Murabma
    To indicate the posessive case of a plural noun the apostrophpe goes after the “S”: the boy’s (singular boy) room, the boys’ (plural boys) room. Hope that helps.

28. bledsoe9mm9 says: Oct 29, 2008 5:00 PM

vince is a good guy , just plays hard

29. pfitz says: Oct 29, 2008 6:28 PM

Vince is a good man and I dont think he is dirty..I also dont think the hit on Brady was dirty and I am a long time Pats season ticket holder.Pollard was knocked down and trying to make a play..Its football and shit happens in the trenches once a guy as big as Vince starts to fall he is going down hard.

30. delgriffith says: Oct 29, 2008 6:35 PM

“tom3565 says:
    October 29th, 2008 at 1:43 pm
    Of course it was productive he can continue to take cheapshots, all he has to do is just shell out a few dollars for charity, after all He’s just “playing hard”. Gotta to love this, once again the Patriots get a pass. Suspension is coming for Matt Jones for his drug issues and a Patriot’s linemen’s issues just goes away. Jets safety hits Anquan Boldin during a football play, he get’s a fine and game suspension. Appeal denied, that hit was a hard hit, but it in now way did it look like it was intentional, yet he gets suspended. I watched a Patriots linebacker taunting Jay Cutler, referee not more than five feet away, no flag, maybe Goddell could review that and at least hand out another fine. Consistency would be nice, but at least the NFL went against Jerry Jones and Cowboys. Now step up to the plate on the Pat’s ”
    There…there…sweety….it’s ok….sshhhhh….shhhhh….come here…..it’s gonna be ok…atta boy…let all those tears out…..big boys do cry don’t they!

31. Murabma says: Oct 29, 2008 6:40 PM

“To my knowledge, the league has never suspended anybody for a late hit, unnecessary roughness, or intent to injure. If anybody has deserved it, it’s Roy Williams. I just don’t see this double standard everybody’s whining about.”
    Dude, Roy William WAS suspended one game last year for horse collar tackles. In fact, a member of the Cardinals was also suspended a game this year for a single incident involving Anquan Boldin that wasn’t anywhere near as “cheap” as FatBoy Vince’s transgressions. You’ve confirmed my suspicion about typical no-nothing Pats* bandwagoneers. That’s what we’re talking about here, the double standard the Pats* seem to get.
    PS CanadaBob, many thanks for the grammar lesson–it’s just so hard figuring out what to do with those asterisks…..

32. JoeSixPack says: Oct 29, 2008 7:21 PM

Should I hold my breath waiting for an ESPN story noting that according to the NFL that there was no evidence of an intent to injure and that Wilfork helped Cutler up?
    “Wilfork was summoned before Goodell after the Broncos claimed tape of New England’s 41-7 win Oct. 20 showed Wilfork elbowing Cutler in the helmet.
    “However, the tapes that were reviewed during the hearing DID NOT show that clearly, upholding New England’s contention there was no intent to injure. They also showed Wilfork helping up Cutler and patting him on the back after the play.”

33. tom3565 says: Oct 29, 2008 7:57 PM

I fully expect some of you to see things from your teams perspective only, you can claim that I am whining, so be it. Put it into this perspective, would you be supportive of a player from some other team trying to hurt a player on your team, no you would not. My point is this , I support some one playing hard as hell, but I would be disappointed if one of the Bronco’s intentionally tried to hurt Tom Brady, you all would be steamed as hell. The taunting was done by your new linebacker who’s name is escaping me, if Wilfork helped up Cutler than fine I will respect him for that part.

34. empty13 says: Oct 29, 2008 8:38 PM

lets call it even IF roger sends wilfork after arlen “magic bullet” spector.

35. titans_fan says: Oct 29, 2008 10:29 PM

CanadaBob,
    While what you said was the way I was taught to make a plural noun possessive in high school in college they taught it another way. Apparently some years ago the MLA decided to change it to what would be “Pats’s”. However, I think most people would recognize intent if its listed as the old correct way (Pats’) or the new correct way (Pats’s).
    Being a Titans’s fan I’ve seen dirty hits as Albert Haynesworth is usually good for at least one per game. With that in mind I think its good the league is at least acting like they are trying to correct this. I think Wilfork will have learned his lesson. He seems like a decent guy, reasonable guy.

36. samlv4 says: Oct 30, 2008 9:06 AM

JoeSixPack thanks for the link. Maybe some people will read this and understand that all the “spin” that the networks put on “poking in the eye” did not happen but “put finger in face mask” after trash talking. JP Losman was out what 2 games and there was no intent to injure. Very similar to Bernard’s hit on Tom Brady. Wilfork fined for and Bernard got a fan club. Sick just very sick.
    “However, the tapes that were reviewed during the hearing did not show that clearly, upholding New England’s contention there was no intent to injure. They also showed Wilfork helping up Cutler and patting him on the back after the play.”
    If you watch the NFLN on Wednesday head of officiating Mike Perarra (spelling) said hits like the one Anquan Boldin received will be called 10 out of 10 times. The receiver is in a defenseless position.