AFC GOES WHACKO FOR FLACCO

Ravens rookie Joe “The Passer” Flacco, a first-round pick in the 2008 draft, has justified the team’s faith in him by being named the AFC’s offensive player of the week.
Flacco completed 17 of 29 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns in a 37-27 win over the Browns.  The victory capped a sweep by Baltimore of Cleveland, and vaulted the Ravens to 5-3 on the season.
After opening the year with two wins, the Ravens lost two close games to Pittsburgh and Tennessee before being blown out by the Colts.  The Ravens have responded with three straight W’s.
The Ravens are a game behind the Steelers in the AFC North, and are squarely in the mix for one of the two AFC wild-card berths.
But the schedule gets no easier in the second half of the season.  The final eight games include each of the four NFC East teams, and a rematch with the Steelers.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “AFC GOES WHACKO FOR FLACCO”
  1. The Nomad says: Nov 5, 2008 12:22 PM

P Manning had better numbers against a better team in a game everyone saw.

2. mw4365 says: Nov 5, 2008 12:40 PM

if this team resigns Suggs and gets another DE/OLB, 2 corners(c-mac or rolle are done after this season, maybe both) and a stud wide out they could really contend. Joe Flacco is doing a lot with little to nothing. I’ve never been a real ‘fan’ of any of the home teams around here but if Ozzie makes some good moves, I might start believing in them.

3. RobJH says: Nov 5, 2008 12:41 PM

4. Heinekenfun says: Nov 5, 2008 12:42 PM

I wasn’t sure if this was somebody they needed to trade up for, but yet again.., Ozzie Newsome and his staff know a gem when the find one. I think the Ravens have finally found a legitimate QB to build around. However.., it’s a little more then ironic that the Ravens find this guy in the first draft without Brian Billick. Perhaps Mr. Billick should stick to broadcasting, because it doesn’t seem like ‘Coaching’ is his thing any longer.

5. woodyjunior says: Nov 5, 2008 12:53 PM

Hey, RobJH
    60% of the time, he works every time…

6. JonD says: Nov 5, 2008 12:57 PM

“Under 60% passing against a bad defense wins you the AFC POW? Must’ve been a shitty offensive week in the AFC. With their remaining schedule, the Ravens will be lucky to end up 8-8. The Wildcards will come from the AFC South & East this year.”
    You’re a tool. This “bad Browns defense” absolutely shredded the Giants on MNF. Flacco also looked perfect against the Steelers defense.

7. Uncle Bubbles says: Nov 5, 2008 12:58 PM

Flacco’s throwing to Mark Clayton who hasn’t scored a TD in like 2 years, and Derrick Mason… I mean I love my Ravens, but Flacco is putting up numbers with 2 WR’s who are both under 6′ foot…
    Plus, has Peyton ever run a TD, thrown a TD, and nearly caught a TD in one game? I think not, nor will he ever because the villagers would hunt him down and deconstruct his Frankenmanning arse…

8. NYJets28 says: Nov 5, 2008 1:09 PM

and its made with bits of real panther, so you know its good

9. The Nomad says: Nov 5, 2008 1:34 PM

@ Uncle Bubbles
    Cleveland has a horrible D. They can’t stop the run and they give up 7+ yards per pass, tied for seventh worst in the NFL. Flacco had a good game, and you’re correct about their respective arsenals, but the NFL doesn’t look to give these awards to the most deserving player. The look to give it to “different” players.

10. Ravens553 says: Nov 5, 2008 1:35 PM

I love Lamp.

11. stiller43 says: Nov 5, 2008 1:40 PM

Uncle Bubbles,
    The award isn’t “Best offensive performance by a player who’s not supposed to put up big numbers.”
    And I don’t think being under 6’0″ hurts Steve Smith that badly.
    Also, If “almosts” mattered, Tennessee can pretty much count that Superbowl against the Rams then huh? And goal line stands shouldn’t count because the offense “almost” got in, right? So if the real question is if Peyton has ever run for a TD and thrown a TD in the same game, (with much more efficiency and command of the offense) then the answer is yes.

12. raven bob says: Nov 5, 2008 1:50 PM

Let’s not get too carried away. I mean, it was Cleveland…..

13. Uncle Bubbles says: Nov 5, 2008 2:13 PM

BLASPHEMER!!! Come on “raven” bob, where’s your Flacco spirit… All I can say is “typical”… Your probably one of the Boo Birds who takes every chance you can get to boo somebody in the purple and black even through you say your a fan… I sit next to “fans” like you at every game..
    Stiller43 – an under 6′ 0″ Steve Smith is a WHOLE lot different then an under 6’0″ Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton…
    Nomad – Touche, touche… Got call my friend…

14. titans_fan says: Nov 5, 2008 2:13 PM

“Nomad, are you kidding me? I mean seriously, it’s Peyton Manning, he’s suppose to put number up like that, plus he’s throwing to Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Dwight Clark…”
    Dwight Clark is still playing? Huh…
    And I agree, hardly a POW worthy performance. Not that impressive and it did come against the Browns. I think Matt Ryan is a great rookie QB but I don’t think Flacco is that good.
    And for you Raven fans that disagree with me save it until after he throws 3 ints in his next game.

15. Ravens says: Nov 5, 2008 2:13 PM

Obviously, the NFL decided they were going to do a Rookie QB Player of the Week package deal, and handed out these awards to Flacco and Ryan to help continue hyping them as up and coming stars.
    Who cares who the Player of the Week is? It’s even less meaningful than the Pro Bowl.
    That being said, the world continues to sleep on the Ravens — I can’t believe they’re underdogs vs. Houston and the Texans’ woeful run defense. The Ravens got whipped by the Colts (like they always do, including in the 2006 divisional playoffs in Baltimore), but otherwise lost only to Pitt and Tenn in the final seconds after leading all game. They are legit, particularly when it comes to running the ball, and playing defense — which are usually good indicators of a team’s success.

16. raven bob says: Nov 5, 2008 2:30 PM

relax bubbles. flacco is an up and coming qb. let’s see him put the numbers up against the Giants, not a bad team like cleveland, that’s all. I don’t expect him to be Bert Jones over night, for God’s sake!

17. titans_fan says: Nov 5, 2008 2:54 PM

I agree, Ravens are very legit. However they face a rough second half of the schedule. If they make it as a wild-card they will be a very dangerous, battle-tested wild-card team.
    Assuming the Ravens and the Titans meet in the playoffs I’ll be scared and that game will probably be preceded by flashbacks and nightmares from the 2001 divisional.

18. axlwarrior19 says: Nov 5, 2008 3:22 PM

*Newsflash*
    Titans re-sign Al Del Greco for pivotal divisional showdown.

19. williebutch says: Nov 5, 2008 3:30 PM

I can’t see the Ravens beating any one of the NFC east teams, or the Steelers the way their D is playing. That’s 5 losses (at least) out of the 8 remaining games. I really don’t see this team in the playoffs. Unless the Jets, Bills and Dolphins fall apart.

20. Ravens says: Nov 5, 2008 5:09 PM

Williebutch,
    Have you seen any of the Ravens’ games? I’m not sure why you pencil them in for an 0-4 vs. the NFC East. The Ravens match-up extremely well vs. run-heavy teams like the Giants and Redskins, Dallas is a mess, they get the Eagles in Baltimore (where they have one of the NFL’s best home records over the last decade). Plus, they already took the Steelers to overtime in Pittsburgh.
    But keep on sleeping. People like you must be why the Ravens got points last week vs. the Browns and are getting them again this week vs. the Texans. My bank account thanks you.