The Arizona Cardinals — yes, those Arizona Cardinals — have announced that their season-ticket holders will soon be advised of the procedures for purchasing playoff tickets.
To which the franchise’s season-ticket holders might respond by saying, “What are playoff tickets?”
The 6-3 Cardinals haven’t hosted a postseason game since 1947, when they secured their lone NFL title with a 28-21 win over the Eagles.  [UPDATE:  The Cardinals also won an NFL championship in 1925, in the days before they actually had a championship game.]
It was also the only postseason game that the Cardinals have ever hosted, dating all the way back to 1933, the first season in which the NFL actually had postseason games.
Since 1947, the Cardinals have won only one postseason game, ten years ago at Dallas.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill
  1. JZuluaga1 says: Nov 14, 2008 9:49 PM

holy crap, it took them that long to figure things out?

2. theredskin says: Nov 14, 2008 9:50 PM

3. empty13 says: Nov 14, 2008 9:53 PM

I dont see them clinching before week 14. i also dont see them winning 10 games.

4. BuckFutter says: Nov 14, 2008 9:53 PM

The Detroit Lions recently advised their fans of the procedures for purchasing playoff tickets…..”Just go ahead and continue to stay home.”

5. dswen2 says: Nov 14, 2008 9:57 PM

quite a cool day for cardinals fans…congrats guys you deserve it!! Go jets go!!

6. Spank says: Nov 14, 2008 10:04 PM

7. wooderson says: Nov 14, 2008 10:06 PM

Kudos to Whiz if he can do it. He would be one of the few Cowher prodigies to do it (I think). As a Steelers fan, I have been rooting for him big time. He would be coaching the Steelers if Ben liked him, and I’m beginning to see how that is turning out. Go Whiz!

8. lionsfan6976 says: Nov 14, 2008 10:14 PM

FYI… The Cards have 2 NFL championships, not one.
    They were the champs in 1925 and 1947.

9. teddybayer says: Nov 14, 2008 10:15 PM

I once shook the hand of William Bidwill, Sr., the guy who looks really, really white
    and really, really old. The thought that occurred to me that day had never once
    ever occured to me previously: I shook his hand at it was so…soft…I thought ‘this
    man has never done a day of work in his life’.
    The Chicago Cubs can testify about not to speaking about Championships, or playoffs or
    excellence before its time. Why ask for playoff money in the eleventh week of the
    season! What? If they waited until a mathmatical clinch?
    60,000 x $70 (average)=$4.2 million. They clinch in week 14, so —
    and this is how cheap the Bidwill’s are, they would be out, what, 4%
    interest for 3 weeks? $10 grand for a jinx. And you know this is a jinx!
    LOSERS! The Bidwill’s have been, is, was, and always will be LOSERS!

10. ME-23 says: Nov 14, 2008 10:15 PM

“ten years ago at Dallas”. Florio just lit up a cuban cigar and sipped, ever so slightly, a 12 year old glass of scotch. and exhailed…”ahhhhhhhhh”

11. vegas42 says: Nov 14, 2008 10:15 PM

Jake Plummer’s best NFL accomplishment…WINNING a Cards playoff game in Dallas….

12. Eric says: Nov 14, 2008 10:18 PM

Sincerely, Jim Mora

13. Philtration says: Nov 14, 2008 10:21 PM

And that is why no one in Chicago cared when they left for St. Louis.

14. Ntrikit says: Nov 14, 2008 10:30 PM

Adrian Peterson took off his helmet.

15. fmfnavydoc says: Nov 14, 2008 10:34 PM

Damn, if it happens, I’ll have to shave my junk to make it pron star smooth…

16. 26Hawk says: Nov 14, 2008 10:35 PM

The Chicago Cardinals were also NFL Champions in 1925.
    So it’s ’25, ’47, and possibly 08?
    An NFL title every 50 or 60 years.
    Sounds like a plan.

17. desides says: Nov 14, 2008 10:45 PM

Congrats to the Cards, though they may be counting their chickens before they hatch one or two weeks too early. Get to 8-3 and THEN start making noise about playoff tickets.

18. lionsfan6976 says: Nov 14, 2008 10:46 PM

fyi… the cards have won two NFL championships.
    1925 and 1947

19. titans_fan says: Nov 14, 2008 10:47 PM

Thats good, I’m happy for the Cards and the Cards’ fans. A very deserving bunch. I hope this is a sign of things to come out there in the desert.

20. ikeiacono says: Nov 14, 2008 10:48 PM

Its been that long since Florio has written a good article too.

21. CheersAdam says: Nov 14, 2008 10:54 PM

I may be one of the only Gen X’rs who got a Cardinals helmet as his first helmet. My Grandfather was a Chicago Cardinals fan….. Go Cards!

22. Riggo44 says: Nov 14, 2008 11:00 PM

Playoffs, you’re talking about playoffs??
    The 1947 game was the first playoff win for the franchise and the 1999 Wild Card game in Dallas was the second and last. They’ve had more hometowns than playoff wins.
    The Cards have been in existence since 1898 and in the NFL since 1920, 110 years of futility. (Well, OK 109, since they did win the 1947 championship). But I guess that still counts as kind of a tradition.

23. Riggo44 says: Nov 14, 2008 11:05 PM

Oops, forgot about the 1925 game. That was tainted, though, just ask the Pottsville Maroons.

24. freedomispopular says: Nov 14, 2008 11:14 PM

I’ve always been a big fan of Kurt Warner since he came out of nowhere back in ’99. I’m glad to see him having success again. Here’s hoping he stays healthy.

25. kdrtoona says: Nov 14, 2008 11:19 PM

Actually, the Pottsville Maroons should be officially recognized as the 1925 NFL Champions (or at least holding part of the title. )
    But the Bidwells claimed the title as their own (starting in ’33) and since the NFL gives preferential treatment to the families who helped found the league, (see Rooney, Dan) the Cardinals have been the champions de jure. Fortunately, the Ghosts of Pottsville, have cursed the Cardinals ever since (or maybe they’ve been cursed by Bidwell ownership.)

26. Ghosty says: Nov 14, 2008 11:31 PM

@Steelers fan about Whiz. He’s doing great, but so is Tomlin and I don’t think there is much of a fall off as there about equal at coaching IMO. And they both have a great staredown which is key to good coaches. And tolin looks cooler in Shades and seems more likely to be in a club then on a football field and looks like Omar Epps which is also cool.
    But on topic, you know your conference sucks when the Cardinals have a four game lead in week 9 despite only winning 6 games. The NFC West just sucks.

27. JohnnyH says: Nov 14, 2008 11:31 PM

All of the sudden I feel preety good about being an Eagles fan.

28. AFKfootball says: Nov 14, 2008 11:56 PM

Yeah 1925 was definitely NOT a Cardinals championship. That was the Pottsville Maroons.

29. adaml says: Nov 15, 2008 12:11 AM

Am I the only person who wants to see teams that have never won a Super Bowl make it all the way?? I’m a Patriots fan, but if they don’t make it in I always want to see a team like the Browns, Lions or Cardinals finally make it. The teams that never made it are:
    Arizona Cardinals
    Cleveland Browns
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Houston Texans
    Detroit Lions
    New Orleans Saints
    The Ravens and Panthers should consider themselves lucky to have made it in after being in existence for so short a time.
    The Houston Oilers were around for awhile, but didn’t make it in until after they were the Titans.
    The Browns and Lions haven’t won a Super Bowl, but they both won championships previously. The Browns were a juggernaut during the Otto Graham era but haven’t made it since the 60s…the Ravens winning in 2001 must have been a slap in the face to all Browns fans.

30. radneck says: Nov 15, 2008 12:20 AM

As a Steeler fan also, I agree with wooderson. Go Cards and Whiz! This is just another arguement for the salary cap and trying to keep the playing field as level as possible. “Phoenixes” like the Arizona Cardinals (do they even have cardinals in Arizona?) can actually have a legitimate chance at a championship if they manage themselves well finacially and personnel wise. Long live the salary cap and maintaining a degree of financial fairness in the NFL.

31. westclaims says: Nov 15, 2008 12:24 AM

Well florio, WHEN they clinch, I will think of you first.

32. gone gator says: Nov 15, 2008 1:17 AM

Hey 26 Hawk, Did you just say 25, 47 & 08 ? Are you out in the dessert with the Entourage boys or what? Better chance that the Clippers win the NBA than the Cards winning the NFL. By the way, I miss Jim Hart,Jim Otis, Conrad Dobler and Terrance Metcalf. That’s the last time they were good right?

33. speedy1383 says: Nov 15, 2008 2:21 AM

The ’25 championship is a croc of crap. Pottsville won that fair and square and it was stolen from them by the Cardinals. So Mike you were right the first time when you said they won only 1 Championship.

34. Nackul says: Nov 15, 2008 2:59 AM

Hey with an offense that much fun to watch, I hope they make it to the SB!

35. Hollywood Wags says: Nov 15, 2008 7:06 AM

The Cordinals need to be sayin’ to themselves right now that “Hey, I can’t be countin’ my chickens before they leave the hatch.”
    Emmitt Smiff

36. goJags says: Nov 15, 2008 7:38 AM

Florio, Forgot to mention one thing. This is the first playoff hosting by the Cards since the Truman administration.

37. MaineMan says: Nov 15, 2008 8:18 AM

It is kind of amazing that Arizona is the closest team, at this point, to clinching a playoff birth – even closet, mathematically, than the Titans.
    If both Arizona and STL win this weekend (over SEA and SF, respectively), and then Arizona beats STL in Week 14, Arizona wins the division (even at 8-8) no matter what else happens. So that’s two wins away.
    Tennessee’s “magic number” is four.

38. cheeseburger says: Nov 15, 2008 8:45 AM

Close, Florio, but I think it happened when we elected a guy who said “My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you’ll join with me as we try to change it.”

39. Celsior says: Nov 15, 2008 9:16 AM

I grew up a fan of the football St. Louis Cardinals a/k/a the Big Red. I would have preferred they stay there, and just let the Bidwills move to Phoenix (the team was called the Phoenix Cardinals for a year or two, I think). Count me in, though, as a supporter of the 1925 NFL champion Pottsville Maroons.

40. bigblue59 says: Nov 15, 2008 10:17 AM

Come on now even if they do have a playoff game they will be one and done
    A good High School team could win the NFC west hell a bad HS team could
    The North will give you the Vikes the South the Falcons and well the East will Give you three and one of those three will go all the way
    My choice is the G Men but only time will tell

41. empty13 says: Nov 15, 2008 10:56 AM

wait a minute. the titans made the super bowl and they were the original oilers.
    the ravens WERE the original browns and they made the super bowl.
    so the browns mentioned above as a franchise that never made the super bowl are the “only been here 9 years browns”. the ravens as an organization have been around 64 years.
    now… best team to (attend but) never win a super bowl – i say vikings.
    for reference, the teams who have visited but left empty handed are the vikes, bills, bengals, oilers/titans, chargers, eagles, falcons, panthers, seahawks.
    duane thomas: if it’s so super, why do they have it every year?

42. Dolfan77 says: Nov 15, 2008 11:43 AM

Yes, there are cardinals in Arizona. And, for the record, the Cardinals have sent out playoff notices before. This is not a new event. They haven’t made it, but they have sent out the forms.

43. East Bay Ray says: Nov 15, 2008 12:32 PM

I’m loving the lively debate about who the 1925 champion was. Keep defending the honor of the Pottsville Maroons. LOL.
    Regarding the Cardinals’ history: I was at a game in Phoenix in the early 90s, bought a program, and in there was an article about the Cardinals’ playoff history with pictures of…..player in leather helmets.