SAVAGE ACKNOWLEDGES E-MAIL

Cleveland Browns General Manager Phil Savage has acknowledged that he sent an e-mail to a fan telling him — in colorful language — that he should go root for the Bills.
It happened,” Savage said of the e-mail to the fan. “We have both apologized to each other since. Browns fans have overwhelmingly been positive towards me since 2005 and I appreciate that greatly.”
Savage replied by saying, “Go root for Buffalo-f#@* you-”.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “SAVAGE ACKNOWLEDGES E-MAIL”
  1. TheNaturalMevs says: Nov 20, 2008 5:55 PM

I was told by someone who knows Savage well: “He carries a knife in one hand and a bible in the other.”
    Phil you aren’t cut out for Cleveland.

2. mcchater says: Nov 20, 2008 5:55 PM

I dont blame savage. Worst than B Davis? Nobodys that bad.

3. titans_fan says: Nov 20, 2008 6:01 PM

“The exchange began when someone sent Savage an e-mail calling him “easily the worst GM in the NFL” and saying “this is officially a regime that is worse than Butch Davis.”
    The dude might be on to something… I mean Savage did extend Anderson and Crennel after a season where the Browns missed the playoffs. Maybe that was jumping the gun a little bit? (of course the Bills extending Dick Jauron after a 5-1 start was jumping the gun a lot)

4. mneezy1 says: Nov 20, 2008 6:01 PM

Styled on?

5. kazkal says: Nov 20, 2008 6:06 PM

aTLeast they have a GM

6. hutch says: Nov 20, 2008 6:07 PM

Guessing ownership is going to give him the same treatment he gave the fan in the near future.

7. FlorioHatesMyTeamMoreThanHeHatesYourTeamWaahhh says: Nov 20, 2008 6:08 PM

Phil, did you send that email?
    F_ck yeah!!! responded Phil Savage
    And it wasnt that big of a deal, says Romeo Crennel

8. Randy Inman says: Nov 20, 2008 6:08 PM

I guess that fan never heard of the Chief’s GM.

9. Smush Rodrigez says: Nov 20, 2008 6:13 PM

He should be fired – this is worse then not knowing the OT rule.

10. delakern says: Nov 20, 2008 6:23 PM

He’s a real Savage…..

11. denver_high says: Nov 20, 2008 6:26 PM

Really Cleveland has gotten better. I remember when Phil Savage told me to go *!ck myself except at that time there wasn’t a worse team to tell me to be a fan of. Go Browns.
    Come to think of it Buffalo must be feeling pretty low.

12. PAJOI34 says: Nov 20, 2008 6:31 PM

Savage must use the same PR firm as Brian Urlacher.

13. JimmySmith says: Nov 20, 2008 6:52 PM

Now that Matt Millen is gone, Savage moved up a notch but with the Raiders in a state of disrepair, its hard to argue he is the worst.
    As if that’s any consolation to the Brown’s fans.

14. GZ says: Nov 20, 2008 6:57 PM

I don’t understand — Did the fan want a cookie? I applaud Savage’s honesty.
    Look at that scoundrel fan, trying desparately to get 15 minutes of fame for his e-mail exchange with a powerful man. What a fan he must be; he likes his team so much that he took his little debacle to the press, and ruined the rest of his beloved team’s season! What a great fan!

15. t1092 says: Nov 20, 2008 7:01 PM

If you don’t chew big red then f*ck you!

16. cybertom says: Nov 20, 2008 7:03 PM

GO GET EM PHILL!!!

17. Pea Tear Griffin says: Nov 20, 2008 7:27 PM

“easily the worst GM in the NFL”
    That’s a little harsh. Maybe like 27th outta 32. Give him a little cred. He did bring in 3 or 4 good players.

18. titans_fan says: Nov 20, 2008 7:37 PM

Come on Phil, you see any message that says that you right click and click delete.
    Though I don’t think its too bad of an idea for Phil to make an Outlook message rule that automatically places any messages with the words “Butch Davis” in the trash bin.

19. aj says: Nov 20, 2008 8:21 PM

This is nothing if the Texans beat the Browns on Sunday.

20. deymond says: Nov 20, 2008 8:23 PM

Is this even a “fan,” or is it what we refer to on the internets as a “troll”? From what I’ve read, the emails to PS either originated at WXDX (Pittsburgh), or they were sent to WXDX after the fan got his intended response (and after the Browns won).
    This strikes me as the behavior of someone who is a fan of another team. I encourage you to investigate, Florio

21. edgar poe says: Nov 20, 2008 8:44 PM

I wrote my best when I was drinking too.

22. Real Football Fan says: Nov 20, 2008 10:19 PM

I love this guy, lol.

23. Dmullins says: Nov 20, 2008 11:18 PM

Upon hearing the full story, I immediately felt that the response by Mr. Savage was unprofessional. But after I thought about it, I said, this guy just recieved an Email, which is personal, not public, so the comment was not supposed to be open to the public.
    Then I felt differently about Phil’s commet altogether. He had just been called the worst GM in the NFL along with other nasty comments, and if I were in his shoes, I may have responded with much more harsh comments.
    Now that I think about it, I am proud that Phil Savage used enough restraint to make the response so clear and to the point as he did. And I believe he spoke for a lot of us Browns Fans when he typed those few CHOICE WORDS.

24. BarkingTuna says: Nov 20, 2008 11:23 PM

“Is this even a “fan,” or is it what we refer to on the internets as a “troll”?”
    He’s a fan. Was on two of the local radio shows today. 32yo Clevelander who moved to Pittsburgh several years ago for a job transfer.

25. SpongeJim says: Nov 23, 2008 12:35 PM

I take great offense to this!
    There is no comparison of who is the worst GM in the league. Any owner who styles himself a GM, let alone one that is doing a good job after 17 of 18 seasons at .500 or worse, is not only the worst GM in football, but the worst GM in SPORTS. Step down, Mike Brown!
    And let’s not forget that last year the majority of Browns fans were saying Savage is a genius. When we won the division in 2005, not one single Bengal fan who ever spoke ill of Mike Brown thought any different of him. We just assumed that either Marvin was given more power than we’d figured he would, or possibly Mike was giving more power to his daughter. Now it seems more likely that hell had received a temporary cold-front.

26. Umdayo says: Dec 28, 2008 5:47 PM

Phil,
    There may be a job opening up in Cincinnati. There is talk of hiring a GM there.
    You would be the perfect fit for the “Mike Brown System.”
    Hop a plane or drive down I-71 A.S.A.P. !!!
    Open interviews at the Speedway by the Montgomery Inn.