Redskins running back Clinton Portis hinted after Sunday’s game that he wasn’t happy with coach Jim Zorn.
Now he’s gone a lot further than hinting.
In a radio interview today on John Thompson’s show, Portis sarcastically labeled Zorn a genius, and wondered whether he wouldn’t be better off going on injured reserve — or becoming a cheerleader.
We got a genius for a head coach, I don’t know, I’m sure he on top of things,” Portis said, per Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “He’s got everything figured out. Hey, that’s up to him. All I can do is when he calls a play is go out and try to execute to the best of my ability.”
Said Portis of why Zorn pulled him out of the game against the Ravens, “You go back and watch film, I guarantee you won’t see me make no mistakes. Maybe he’s watching a different film than me.”
Asked how he should be used, Portis added, “Hey, bro, it ain’t rocket science how to use me. They can figure that out. If they want to put the ball in my hands I can try to help the team win. They don’t I’ll try to do whatever I can. If I need to cheer Ladell on, I’ll cheer Ladell on.”

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
  1. brianforster says: Dec 9, 2008 4:18 PM

Clinton is just upset because he wants to be in there every play. The fact is he did not practice all week. He did not practice the protection schemes needed to face all the looks that defense brings. That, combined with the fumble and him DESPERATELY needing rest made it a smart decision to bench him.
    I am hoping this blows over, but it appears the media is really trying to run Zorn out of town.

2. VikingAP says: Dec 9, 2008 4:21 PM

Except the fumble that led for a TD.

3. Slappy says: Dec 9, 2008 4:26 PM

Which Portis personality said this, that’s what I want to know!

4. AlexSupertramp says: Dec 9, 2008 4:28 PM

And Clinton also said to Zorn, “Whatcha talkin bout”.

5. MNFANINAZ says: Dec 9, 2008 4:29 PM

4-1 doesn’t seem that long ago… Hey Skins… two words for ya: HA HA!!!

6. brianforster says: Dec 9, 2008 4:31 PM

“Except the fumble that led for a TD. ”
    I still think he was down, I have seen a few calls this year where the ball clearly moved but the runner still had possession until the ground gave the final blow to knock the ball loose. I expect some sort of rule change/clarification in this coming offseason.

7. empty13 says: Dec 9, 2008 4:31 PM

portis is hurt. you need look no more to ascertain why his playing time is down.

8. ACDC84 says: Dec 9, 2008 4:32 PM

“You go back and watch film, I guarantee you won’t see me make no mistakes.”
    It’s probably cause you didn’t make no mistakes. I would WANT my players to make no mistakes.

9. chifan17 says: Dec 9, 2008 4:33 PM

I wouldn’t talk about running backs fumbling the ball after your boy AP’s Ahman Green like performance last Sunday if I were you.

10. FlorioHatesMyTeamMoreThanHeHatesYourTeamWaahhh says: Dec 9, 2008 4:34 PM

Damn VikingAP, you are stealing my thunder. I almost laughed out loud, when I read that Portis “guaranteed” that in the film you wont see any mistakes. Maybe Portis is only talking about blocking assignments when he is in to protect Campbell, or maybe he mans that he didnt run through the wrong hole, lol, just pay no attention to the fumble, that lead directly to a TD for the Ravens. Classic.

11. simpleton says: Dec 9, 2008 4:37 PM

The issue is that Zorn said CP made pass pro errors. CP is saying that isn’t the case and Zorn is trying cover his own ass.

12. bavaro89 says: Dec 9, 2008 4:37 PM

Did Zorn ever explain his bizarre challenge which would not have effected possession or his rather interesting use of timeouts in the second half?

13. limitedgoods says: Dec 9, 2008 4:39 PM

VikingAP — maybe he was watching the game they played in 2004, all he saw n that one was Ed Reed picking up Mark Brunell’s fumble and running it in for a TD.

14. WetHog says: Dec 9, 2008 4:39 PM

Yeah good old Southeast Jerome forgets that little fumble that put the Skins in a 14-0 hole. No biggie right?
    This is Clinton Portis. He’s your typical me first professional player. He didn’t practice at all last week and started the game. He had some good runs, but the fumble didn’t help and at that point the Skins couldn’t run the ball that much being that far behind. Ladell Betts is a better pass catcher out of the back field. That is a fact. Although Portis is probably the best RB in the NFL at helping in pass protection, I would assume most teams know that when he’s in their on passing downs he’s not going out in a pattern, but staying in to block. Betts is a different story.
    Regardless, my beloved Skins are in trouble. They have the Bungles this week to turn things around, but how they perform in that game will say it all for the Skins the rest of the year. And if they do poorly it could mean Zorn’s job. Said but true.

15. mcrowell says: Dec 9, 2008 4:39 PM

He’s talking but all I hear is “me, me, me, me, my, my, I, I, I, me, me”…in the six sentences he said (poorly I might add), Clinton said “me”, “my”, or a version of “I” FOURTEEN times!!!!!!! Seriously Clinton; there are other guys on the team.

16. cmac33 says: Dec 9, 2008 4:44 PM

“I guarantee you won’t see me make no mistakes”. Thats a double negitive, so you made mistakes.

17. omegalh says: Dec 9, 2008 4:48 PM

18. smiley says: Dec 9, 2008 4:48 PM

Ditto Brian Forster. Also just curious, what picks would you give for Portis in the upcoming draft? Hail!

19. dlmcc0202 says: Dec 9, 2008 4:49 PM

I think Zorn has done an excellent job with the Redskins this year. In all honesty they are over rated, but have exceeded with the talent they have to work with. Thats a sign of good coaching.
    Portis gives it his all every time out but hes been banged up recently and its obvious. Hes too much of a warrior to admit when he is hurt and his team is on the fence so I can see why he would want to be in on every play. That being said he will do more harm than good by playing if he is really hurt

20. limitedgoods says: Dec 9, 2008 4:54 PM

Funniest part of the interview was Portis dropped an S Bomb and they didnt dump it, John Thompson was so bewildered (even more that normal).

21. ychrombob says: Dec 9, 2008 4:58 PM

didn’t make any mistakes? what does he call the fumble that lead to Reed’s touchdown?

22. smiley says: Dec 9, 2008 4:58 PM

P.S. The boss told him…you practice…you play. And CP know the difference between a middle LB being out of practice versus a running back is completely different. And another thing…how do you know you make a mistake or not if you don’t practice? if you’re 2 feet away from where you should be in a route? How about timing of that route? C’mon CP…don’t go baby on us now!

23. Nittany Munchkins says: Dec 9, 2008 4:58 PM

was this portis talking during the interview, or one of his mild-mannered alter egos?

24. snccoach says: Dec 9, 2008 5:05 PM

Why is this guy’s conditioning always a problem? ALWAYS! Second…I love when players without a work ethic criticize their coaches. It’s either, “they’ve never played in the league…they don’t get it” or if they did play in the league…like Zorn did…then it’s “oh he’s old school…this is new school” You can never win with slapd***s like that….no matter how talented they are.

25. Bill In DC says: Dec 9, 2008 5:11 PM

If true, Portis is a spoiled child and a moron.
    LOL, with all the clamoring about a TO explosion coming (for 3 years the constant chant), it looks like Portis is about to blow.
    It’s coming, I can feel it.

26. teddybayer says: Dec 9, 2008 5:16 PM

Clinton Portis is a really good running back and legend in his own mind. I’ll take Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. He’s a gangsta, a bad apple, a me-me-me, I-I-I kind of player. When he put on that ridiculous championship belt in Denver, you could hear Pat Bowlen trading him. He’s good, he’s just not as good as he thinks he is. He’ll be out of the league in a year, maybe two. But he could be available for Champ’s Hall of Fame induction.

27. Spank says: Dec 9, 2008 5:20 PM

***brianforster says:
    Either way, I am a Skins fan living in b-more and I hope I don’t have to wait another 31 years for the skins to get a chance to beat the ravens in their house again. ***
    Nahhh, just 8 years.
    They switch houses every four years. So in 2012 they’ll play @ Washington & in 2016 they’ll play @ Baltimore.
    Unless the NFL changes the format before then.

28. whuteva says: Dec 9, 2008 5:21 PM

I’m no Skins fan, but a fumble is not a mistake. Did you see the Ravens hitting and yanking on the ball to make it come out?? Now if he were running down the field and just dropped the ball, then that would be a mistake. How many of you yokels would be able to withstand Ray Ray and Ed Reed tugging on your arm like Vick’s winners?

29. Slappy says: Dec 9, 2008 5:27 PM

I wouldn’t worry too much Skins fan.. the Bengals have already given up… they’ll be satisified with a field goal, so if you can get more than that on the Bengals Defense (which anybody can including a gang of nuns can score on) then you wont have any problems winning

30. johna440133 says: Dec 9, 2008 5:29 PM

I think a house cleaning is in order. I love CP, I am a west coast fan. I dont see everything. But I see every game and I feel like we blitz the same every time. I see us blitz outside in. Does Blache know we can blitz the A Gaps? We seem to use our DBS as tacklers not shut downs. I love the Skins more then anything, but I am sick of watching. I am sick of seeing the players looking like they are so down. You look at teams like the Patriots, great team, but they are having fun. Our guys are always looking lik eteh world is ending. I like Zorn, good guy, but when it comes down to it he will be here a few more years, gone and on to the next rebuilder. Lets clean house now, we need a GM, a HC with experience, a few players who are leaders. I may be off base and if I am I am sorry but I am burnt out on teh Skins.

31. smilergrogan says: Dec 9, 2008 5:52 PM

i;m no redskins fan; but as an eagle fan who saw portis play hurt over the past years, and who watched him roll on our d earlier this year when they were stopping everyone else, i am bewildered how zorn could play betts instead of portis. You don’t have to be new school to know that punking out a guy who has been a warrior for your club should only be done when you gain a result. westbrook, for example, didn’t practice this week, and had a big game.
    i can’t imagine the difference in the few pass protection situations occurring after portis was benched would have materially changed the result of the game. certainly not worth alienating your best offensive weapon, unless of course they are in the process of cutting him loose for some reason.
    if so, i’m guessing that with the right prodding, portis would be indiscreet enough to talk himself out of town. i just don’t see what the skins gain by this.
    perhaps if they had paid attention over the years to the offensive line instead of going for big name receivers and dbacks, and of course jason dancing with stars, their best player, portis, could be used for something besides blocking.
    portis isn’t the overpaid punk on the redskins. getting rid of brandon lloyd only offsets picking up smoot again and overpaying him again when he stinks and got ran out of detroit. and the other dbs, high draft picks all, didn’t look too good either.

32. Fade 2 Black says: Dec 9, 2008 6:06 PM

Glad to hear about
    all the Peace and Love
    on the Redskins Squad
    this week! LOL
    Hope it lasts!!
    Go Eagles!!!

33. NoWearMan says: Dec 9, 2008 6:33 PM

whuteva says:
    December 9th, 2008 at 5:21 pm
    bleh, theres at least one idiot like this on every board. with the way this moron (CP) talks, he couldnt hold a real job anyway.

34. cobrala says: Dec 9, 2008 6:44 PM

Clinton’s a little bitch.

35. SpankyJanky says: Dec 9, 2008 6:46 PM

You all are crazy. Portis is the heart and soul of the Redskins. When did the Skins start losing? When Portis got hurt. He plays harder than anyone on the team and Zorn even says so. He has all the right in the world to be pissed and if I was a Redskin I would be pissed that he wasn’t in there. He gives you a better shot to win then Betts does and you should have your best players in right? I would be worried if he wasn’t pissed. It shows he cares about being in there and helping his team win. Zorn pretty much said he benched him because he stayed in and protected his QB instead of releasing… sounds pretty selfish to me.

36. giant67 says: Dec 9, 2008 6:51 PM

I know there’s a lot of frustration, but to call for Zorn’s head is ridiculous. The Skins could’ve just laid down and let themselves get trampled at halftime, but I thought they showed some fire, and that has to be attributed to Zorn.

37. Tex Big Balls says: Dec 9, 2008 7:11 PM

Now there’s a team on the verge of meltdown. Go ahead and remove their name from NFC Wildcard Hunt charts.
    Lost two offensive linemen, Portis is blasting the genius and Campbell is playing like Heath Schuler. Look for Cooley to outdo shianco this weekend.

38. PhinInCanada says: Dec 9, 2008 7:30 PM

39. Rockpile08 says: Dec 9, 2008 8:14 PM

I’m down with Clinton on this one. The Skins have 19 players going to the Pro Bowl and 7-6 is all Zorn can do?

40. tom3565 says: Dec 9, 2008 9:35 PM

What is hard to believe is some people wonder why he was traded for Champ, the dude doesn’t know when to shut up!! Talent but no filter and it needs to be all about Clinton

41. WetHog says: Dec 9, 2008 10:22 PM

A fumble is a mistake when you are being tackled by two players and you don’t put two hands on the ball.
    Portis is what he is. You take the good with the bad. You practice you play. No practice no play. Not that hard to understand and the days of Gary Clark never practicing because of his terminal hamstring pulls and showing up for game day are long gone.

42. footballnut says: Dec 10, 2008 12:39 PM

I’m sure he is a product of an enabling mother and father…
    Portis should just keep his mouth shut to the media and play when he is called upon and be a team player when not…