RAIOLA WANTS TO HAVE A FISTFIGHT WITH LIONS FANS

Lions center Dominic Raiola says he has no regrets at all about his decision to yell at and give the finger to fans who were booing the team on Sunday.
In fact, Raiola just wishes he could make that finger into a fist and use it to pummel the fans who express their frustration with the team’s 0-13 record.
“I don’t take one thing back,” Raiola said Monday, per the Detroit Free Press. “I’ll say the same thing to a fan that I see in the street. I wish I could give my address out to some fans. I’ll do that. But, you know, I can’t. Nobody plays with fists. Everybody wants to play with metal. So I can’t. I’m so frustrated. I’m tired of being a doormat for people to just talk to us how they want to talk to us. I’m just not going to put up with it anymore.”
The NFL says it’s looking into Raiola’s actions. Based on the standard set by the league’s fine for Michael Vick in 2006, the going rate for giving fans the finger is $10,000 for each bird.
It’s no surprise that Lions fans are taunting the players, but it’s interesting to note that from the players’ perspective, it gets worse with fewer fans in attendance. Now that Ford Field has tens of thousands of empty seats on Sundays, it’s easier for an individual fan to make sure the players can hear his taunts.
Says Lions left tackle Jeff Backus, “Part of it is how quiet the stadium is. Seriously, you can hear individuals yelling at you. It doesn’t all blend into just a roar.”

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “RAIOLA WANTS TO HAVE A FISTFIGHT WITH LIONS FANS”
  1. G-man says: Dec 9, 2008 9:16 AM

Raiola needs to shut his mouth and win a game or two.
    The fans are paying outrageous ticket prices to watch a team who hasn’t won a game yet and he’s acting like they should be praising him. Give the fans something to cheer about and they won’t waste time taunting you.

2. Fail Cat says: Dec 9, 2008 9:18 AM

You’ve got to wonder if these fans are showing up out of obligation, or just to get a chance to insult the hell out of the players like it’s a minor league baseball game. It’s really sad to see this happen to the Lions.

3. itsjusthoop says: Dec 9, 2008 9:19 AM

Tell me again why Detroit still has a team?

4. brianlion says: Dec 9, 2008 9:20 AM

well Dominic in addition to you being a gargantuan douche, perhaps if you weren’t also a human turnstyle out on the field, people wouldnt be taunting you.

5. titans_fan says: Dec 9, 2008 9:20 AM

If you don’t like the boos then why don’t you do something about it… like, you know, win some games.
    If I were running a team, a shitty team such as the Lions, and I had a player get mad like that because the fans were justifily booing the team I would cut said player on the spot, send a message to the team. The problem with Detroit is that attitude. Decent teams would realize why the fans are booing, try to do something about it… losing teams get mad at the fans.

6. alexg114 says: Dec 9, 2008 9:24 AM

you don’t like it??? Win some games!

7. josereyes0 says: Dec 9, 2008 9:25 AM

They’re lucky just to have fans.

8. La Milicia Negra says: Dec 9, 2008 9:26 AM

I understand him, man it must suck tobe on such a bad team and then hear the fans…
    fist fights was a good way in the old days to clear the air.. now a days kids walk around with knifes in the age of 12 and at 14 they move “up” to guns… sick world:/

9. shuxion says: Dec 9, 2008 9:29 AM

making movies, making songs and fighting round the world……..
    What a glorious way to spend the day fighting round the world……
    Russell Crowe fighting around the world…….

10. ClevelandsOwn12 says: Dec 9, 2008 9:33 AM

Tough situation for all. Please turn this Lion team around. The fans and Players deserve better.

11. ROMO4PRES says: Dec 9, 2008 9:34 AM

Here’s a guy who’s obviously unsatisfied with his employer.
    Do what most other people do. Quit. Get another job. Nobody has a right to ‘punch’ their employer.
    Another example of how a pampered pro athlete completely whiffs on connecting with the real world.
    Wants to punch a fan in Detroit, who’s probably going to be out of a job when the auto bailout falls apart.
    If not for the Lions, he’d be playing in teh Arena League.
    Wait… they’re going bankrupt too!

12. pfitz says: Dec 9, 2008 9:53 AM

The fans would probably win..Im sick of the Lions ruining every Thanksgiving for me with shitty football games..

13. MNFANINAZ says: Dec 9, 2008 9:56 AM

Try picking on someone your own size Raiola… oh, never mind you have… for 13 glorious punches to your proverbial face. I guess I’d want to beat up some fans if I were a Detroit Lion as well. You’ve proven you’re no match for the rest of the NFL.
    Shut your mouth Raiola and keep cashing those checks, which are paid to you by the very people you’re flipping off and wanting to fight, moron.
    If the Lions had any leadership they’d throw this bum off the team… he’s obviously one of the main reason they suck!

14. TheBozforPres says: Dec 9, 2008 9:56 AM

The Lions are a horrible team run by a horrible organization. That being said, I respect that team more than the Bengals or any other team that has more talent, yet doesn’t put an effort out on every Sunday.

15. Chris from MD says: Dec 9, 2008 10:02 AM

Lions players = “Stop picking on us! We’re trying our best! We swear!”

16. dlmcc0202 says: Dec 9, 2008 10:06 AM

what a moron. the only person or people he should be mad at is himself and his crappy team. You want to charge ridiculous money to go to games in the freezing cold, in a city that may be devastated by the auto companies going under. Then you wonder why people get upset when you suck?
    Those fans come to a game to take their minds off their troubles at home. And when they show up, your team responds by getting blown out by just about everyone in the league. Real nice. So on top of the fact they just blew $500 of money they cant really afford to waste only to watch you and your team half ass it every time out. Fans have a right to boo when you suck. I have seen Mariano Rivera get booed in NY. If he can get booed when he doesnt perform well then so can you and your doormat of a team.Grow up and deal with it. If you dont like it then pull a Vince Young and stop playing or perform better

17. TCLARK says: Dec 9, 2008 10:06 AM

“It doesn’t all blend into just a roar.”
    Ironic being the Lions and all.

18. spanky07 says: Dec 9, 2008 10:35 AM

Some fan needs to punch this guy in his vagina.

19. Deacon Blues says: Dec 9, 2008 10:46 AM

I feel Riola’s pain…..
    If I were a Lion player right now, I’d be blindsiding the QB while he is calling the plays in the huddle….
    I’d take my helmet off an crack the refs mellon before he could call a penalty
    I’d take out the other teams HC with a low chop block
    I’d take an axe out onto the field or even a chain saw
    I’d take all the toilet paper out of the visitors locker room, and set off a smoke bomb
    ANYTHING to vent frustration and get a win, and get the smell of Millen out of the air at Ford Feild.

20. Pea Tear Griffin says: Dec 9, 2008 11:00 AM

@Fail Cat
    I’d go see my favorite team no matter how bad they are. And obviously you’ve never been to a Minor League game. They are fun and inexpensive (especially compared to the majors). Besides, who insults minor league players. You do realize most major stars were in the minors at some point right?

21. patsfan1776 says: Dec 9, 2008 11:05 AM

I agree. Quit your job if you don’t like it and then you can punch the customers that complain about the hamburger and fries you just made them.

22. Ray Guy says: Dec 9, 2008 11:15 AM

23. vincelombardi says: Dec 9, 2008 11:18 AM

hey raiola “if you can’t stand the heat, get the HELL out of the kitchen”. idiot, suck it up and win a game or two or shut your pie hole and collect your millions.

24. MONSTER889 says: Dec 9, 2008 11:48 AM

“Is a person really considered a “fan” if they hate their team? Or is there another word for it?”
    I was at the Silverdome in ’01 when the Lions beat the Vikings to get their first win after 12 losses. Place was 80,000 strong. Afterwards I saw people celebrating like they won the damn Super Bowl.
    You can love the team and hate the product being put on the field. I’ve been to many games and while I’m not one to stand and boo the team I am there to root for it’s impossible not to understand massive disappointment in the product on the field.

25. RedbullnRaiders says: Dec 9, 2008 12:10 PM

Best thing this franchise can do it go 0-16 and draft a QB.

26. MNFANINAZ says: Dec 9, 2008 12:12 PM

Hey Raiola, what makes you think you could even beat up a fan?

27. T says: Dec 9, 2008 12:13 PM

That’s OK Dom, everyone is rooting for you guys to go 0-16. Good luck with your historic failure. The Bengals are a doormat, the Lions are an embarrassment. Get your mask on.

28. wkheathjr says: Dec 9, 2008 12:23 PM

You can’t just quit or the team will collect bonus money and all.
    I would say the blame falls on coaching and management so fans shouldn’t blame it all on players so I do feel players’ pain. Detriot Lions just don’t have loyalty fan. Their players played their heart out. They came close to few of the best teams in the NFL and were unfortunately to come up short.
    I hope one day the Detriot will rise and become a serious contender, but maybe it won’t happen as long as the Ford family owns it and operate it as poorly as they are doing to Ford Motor Company. Henry Ford is probably rolling over in his grave!

29. 78thballothalloffamer says: Dec 9, 2008 12:35 PM

I’m amused by the people trying to draw idiotic comparisons between the fan-player relationship and the employer-employee relationship. If any employer behaved as badly as the average NFL fan, he’d be universally despised by reasonable men.
    Look, if you don’t want Raiola giving you the finger, don’t shout obscenities at him, right? How many players do you think want to fight the people who verbally abuse them every week? Nearly all of them.
    So what is Raiola guilty of here? Matching his words to his thoughts. There are few sins in our society today that are less excusable.
    As far as I’m concerned, the paying fans can say what they want. And Raiola can respond in kind. And if any of you ladies have a problem with that, take up knitting.

30. Meriwether says: Dec 9, 2008 12:43 PM

I don’t blame Raiola a bit. Loud mouths who have never played a down or gone through a training camp call players and their families every name in the book. Most professional football players have been on championship teams at one time or another and it rips their guts out to lose like the Lions. Detroit fans are going through hell right now and should be angry but swearing at players from the stands is cowardly. It’s like cussing someone out online. Takes no guts at all. Do it to a mans face if you are going to do it. Otherwise write a letter or email to the Lions ownership. Ask for your money back or if you havent bought a ticket then boycott the games and then write them and tell them why. My team has been on a losing streak for several years but not as bad as Detroit. The ownership is responsible for hiring and paying everyone below them so its on them. The 49ers have made moves to start winning again. At least you guys have gotten rid of Matt Millen who was a great football player but one of the worst GMs in the history of the NFL. Also WHAT THE HELL are the lions doing by trading Roy Williams to the damned cowboys for????? How are the lions ever goign to be any good by giving talent away???

31. darth_vincent says: Dec 9, 2008 12:45 PM

the only thing keeping this Packers fan clinging on… is the hope that the Pack will hand the Lions their 16th loss this year. I still have hope…
    So please leave Raiola alone… I’m counting on him and his team-mates to help guarantee a Packers victory at the end of the year.

32. The Jimmy says: Dec 9, 2008 1:02 PM

I didn’t know the lions had a center.

33. patsfan1776 says: Dec 9, 2008 1:11 PM

Back in the early 90’s the Patriots sucked. I used to get free tix from a season ticket holder. I went to a few games but it wasn’t worth the $10 in cost to park back then. The last game I went to, the Pats are like 1-8. First half, 2 mins remaining, down 14-0, and nothing going. Get to the opponents 25yd line, 4th and 1 to go. Fans yelling for the team. Out comes the freakin field goal unit. Got up, walked out, security gate says to me, there is no readmittance, and I blast the poor guy saying that I won’t be back and the tickets were free. Didn’t go back until Parcells was the coach.
    Point of the story – You are not a fan if you don’t get upset by poor performance by the team, coaching staff, front office. The dolts like Matt Millen love the fact that there are people out there that say “I am a real fan and would never boo my team.” because it keeps them from getting canned. Fan means passion which means wanting your team to be playing it’s best.

34. FlorioHatesMyTeamMoreThanHeHatesYourTeamWaahhh says: Dec 9, 2008 4:19 PM

dlmcc0202 says:
    December 9th, 2008 at 10:06 am
    _____________________________________________
    Are you possibly a very attractive female meteorologist? Or are you one of the fans sitting in the “windy” “freezing cold” stands of Ford Field? Hahahaha, the Lions play in a dome, priceless