CABLE IS PISSED AT KIFFIN

As the U.S. Postal Service deals with its busiest week of the year, the crush of snail mail won’t feature many/any Christmas cards crossing paths between Oakland and Knoxville.
Former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin was fired in September, complete with a scathing press conference from owner Al Davis regarding the reasons for the move.
Kiffin has since filed a grievance with the league office regarding the money that he hasn’t been paid.
And so should interim (for two more games) coach Tom Cable be upset to learn that Kiffin is rounding up some of his former Oakland assistants for Kiffin’s new job in Tennessee?  Regardless of whether Cable should be upset, he is.
I’m pissed. That’s the best way to put it,” Cable said, according to Jerry McDonald of InsideBayArea.com.  “Quite frankly, that’s the only way I can put it.”
Gone is offensive line coach James Cregg, who filled the spot Cable occupied before his promotion.  Director of football operations Mark Jackson and administrative aide Steve Reaves is leaving, too.
Amazingly, Reaves was still employed by the Raiders even though he is Kiffin’s brother-in-law.
For starters, Cable really shouldn’t care, because he won’t be the head coach next season.  Also, what the hell are these guys supposed to do?  Hang around to see whether they still have a bunk on a sinking ship or get in on the ground floor with a new opportunity?
Maybe the primary source of Cable’s frustration is that he hasn’t been invited to join Kiffin.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “CABLE IS PISSED AT KIFFIN”
  1. Nos20 says: Dec 15, 2008 7:30 PM

Teehe, you said pissed!

2. Naitch says: Dec 15, 2008 7:31 PM

If Cable is let go as head coach(which is pretty much a forgone conclusion at this juncture), I hope they can talk him into staying on and taking back his former position as Offensive Line coach. The O-line was improving with him at the helm.

3. ROMO4PRES says: Dec 15, 2008 7:34 PM

Tom Cable is a blip in the ‘great’ history of the Raiders, who will never be heard from again after this year.
    Whatever happened to JUST WIN BABY? Seven years of 11 loss seasons is not just winning.
    Sad.
    Patriots scored TOUCHDOWNS on their first five possessions. A high school team could do no worst. Where’s the pride?
    Let Asomugha go to free agency. He’s being held hostage under the franchise tag.

4. IWS says: Dec 15, 2008 7:41 PM

Clearly heading to Knoxville is an upgrade over Oakland. Cable must be the only one to thinks he’s got another year there.

5. titans_fan says: Dec 15, 2008 7:43 PM

Tom Cable = retard

6. joetoronto says: Dec 15, 2008 7:46 PM

I just watched the press conference and yes, Cable was clearly pissed off at Lame Kiffin.
    ————————————————————————–
    ROMO4PRES: Nothing like stretching the truth there buddy. It’s 6 years of 11 loss seasons, not 7, and the Pats scored on their first 4 possessions, not 5 but whatever.
    I’m old enough to remember decades of bad Patriot teams, never mind 6 years. Enjoy what you have to the fullest because your window of opportunity is closing fast.
    Just watch and see.

7. jkr says: Dec 15, 2008 7:54 PM

Who gives a s#!* if cable is pissed or not I’m a 31 year old die hard raider fan I should be pissed I have been suffering my whole adult life except for a couple of years with gruden/gannon I can’t stand al davis he should have never got rid of kiffin.What the hell kind of offense are they running this is by far the worst offense I’ve seen in 15 years screw davis screw cable and by the way how the hell do the get a hat to fit that giant noggin of his.

8. 909raiderlifer says: Dec 15, 2008 7:56 PM

Cable, should be more concerned about trying to stay withen two touchdowns of the other team.

9. BuckFutter says: Dec 15, 2008 7:58 PM

That’s really lame of Kiffin to disrupt the coaching staff this close to the playoffs. This could seriously impact the Raiders change to make a run at the Super Bowl.

10. VonClausewitz says: Dec 15, 2008 8:01 PM

I guess you throw out good form when there’s a nasty divorce.

11. inmymind says: Dec 15, 2008 8:02 PM

Oakland is still in the NFL?

12. brauneyz says: Dec 15, 2008 8:05 PM

Al Davis and the Raider Nation need to look at everyone bailing from this sinking ship and put 2 + 2 together. Where there’s smoke there’s fire, yes, even, especially, on a sinking ship.
    I agree. Free Nnamdi!

13. radrntn says: Dec 15, 2008 8:09 PM

who cares..all of these guys are no names.it’s not like when gruden left, he took bruce allen etc…
    Kiffin can’t coach, and Tennesee will be doing their own press conference here shortly announcing how they made a mistake…

14. SpartaChris says: Dec 15, 2008 8:14 PM

>>joetoronto says:
    December 15th, 2008 at 7:46 pm
    Like he said, you don’t quit during the season, you give it your all till the end.<<
    News flash- The season was over week 1.
    Besides, other than a paycheck, there is nothing to gain in Oakland by hanging around the final two weeks.

15. leemuncy says: Dec 15, 2008 8:28 PM

coach cable makes larry the cable guy look like a
    mensa society memeber

16. dean2512 says: Dec 15, 2008 8:39 PM

Good for Kiffin, the Raiders are getting what they deserve.

17. BuckFutter says: Dec 15, 2008 8:40 PM

“radrntn says:
    December 15th, 2008 at 8:09 pm
    time for a new coach, and a new staff in Oakland….if the new coach wants cable, i think he is a great o-line coach…however Al needs to get somebody like denny green, who knows how to turn things around. ”
    I’m still trying to figure out if you’re serious or not….
    Either way, it was really really funny.

18. dean2512 says: Dec 15, 2008 8:42 PM

Maybe JaMarcus Russell should join Kiffin, he could improve his wonderlic score and become a real NFL QB.

19. Rossy P says: Dec 15, 2008 8:42 PM

20. dean2512 says: Dec 15, 2008 8:43 PM

RobShipe is a Scumbag!!!

21. BuckFutter says: Dec 15, 2008 9:26 PM

“Rossy P says:
    December 15th, 2008 at 8:42 pm
    The Raiders are a JOKE. What used to be a respected organization has turned into a comedy. I can’t see why anybody would want to be the head coach on that team. I feel for the hard core fans. That’s just about as bad as being a Lion fan.”
    I actually think it’s worse. Lion fans know there is no hope. Raider fans are for some reason both optimistic, and indignant.
    It’s like you tell them their ship is sinking, and they tell you it isn’t, and call you stupid for making that suggestion….while they are ankle deep in trout.

22. nflfollies says: Dec 15, 2008 9:33 PM

Kiffin proving what a classless idiot he was.

23. junior says: Dec 15, 2008 10:13 PM

Rossy P and BuckFutter:
    Actually it’s nowhere close to as bad as being a Lions fan. I won’t even go into too much detail except to say 3 Superbowl wins, 5 appearances. The last appearance being 6 years ago. The Lions have never even sniffed the Superbowl. It’s amazing how easily all the haters forget the rich history of the Raiders. Sure it has been bad for 6 years, but that’s nothing compared to teams like the Lions who have been bad for 60 years.

24. ParkerFly says: Dec 15, 2008 10:19 PM

nflfollies: College coaches hire NFL assistants during the season all the time, but most wait until the season is over to leave. It’s the people getting hired’s decision whether they leave now or wait, and has nothing to do with Kiffin. So if you’re blaming anyone, blame the assistants. Kiffin reached an agreement with Saint’s DL coach Ed Orgeron to join the Vols too but he is waiting until the sesson is over to leave.

25. Jim Beam says: Dec 15, 2008 11:45 PM

JoeToronto.. please don’t predict that the Patriots window is closing fast. If you could see into the future then please tell me this Wednesday 649 numbers cause i really hate my job. You telling us that the Patriots window is closing fast is implying that you can see into the future and know all. I’m sure a 100 other people have come on here to predict that the Patriots wont win for much longer and they have seem to pass the test of time. I cant stand when people talk like they know the future when their just pulling stuff out of their asses. And no, i dont even like the Patriots..
    AS for the Raiders.. I thought no one on the team outside of the head coach got a contract. Isnt that what happend to Lombardi? He sued the team even though he had no contract

26. evil says: Dec 15, 2008 11:46 PM

ROMO4PRES :
    No the Raiders should tag Asomugha eith the non-exclusive and deal him. They could gain another 1st in this years draft and an additional pick or player easily. Hell maybe they can ship him to AZ for Q.

27. egypt123 says: Dec 16, 2008 12:23 PM

I’m willing to bet that if Cable didn’t get the interim HC position he probably would have bailed too given the chance. Cable must feel more important or significant than he his. I’m sure these guys leaving before the end of the season was more a slap at Davis than at Cable. What a moron.

28. Brewster says: Dec 16, 2008 4:40 PM

It doesn’t matter who coaches the Raiders, this year, next year or thereafter as long as meddling Al Davis is the Owner. Until Al is gone you diehard Raider fans are in for more pain. If I were a Raider fan I’d get my Doctor to give me a prescription for Vicodin to put me out of my misery. I feel for you.
    The team is so pathetic again this year I’m not sure they could beat De La Salle. They sure don’t exhibit the heart & desire De La Salle has, nor do they play as smart as evidenced by the usual dumb penalties again.

29. KILLER FINS FAN says: Dec 16, 2008 8:22 PM

WHY SHOULD HE CARE??? HE’LL BE GONE IN 2 MORE WEEKS!!! GO FINS!!!

30. eklypse69 says: Dec 17, 2008 12:00 PM

He hires his daddy, he hires his brother-in-law, and yet no one can believe he had any ill intentions toward Rob Ryan?
    Man, some people are gullable.