Michael Smith of ESPN reports that new Browns coach Eric Mangini is expected to hire Rob Ryan to serve as defensive coordinator, and Brian Daboll to become the offensive coordinator.
Both Ryan and Daboll have contracts that will expire soon, presumably at the end of the month.
Last year, reports surfaced that Ryan would be fired by the Raiders and hired by Mangini and his former team, the Jets.  The Raiders denied that Ryan was leaving, and the incident was widely believed to mark the beginning of the end for former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin, who apparently had hoped to dump Ryan and hire Kiffin’s father, Monte.
Daboll, previously the Jets’ quarterbacks coach, jumped from New England to New York in 2007, a year after Mangini did the same.
As Adam Schefter of NFL Network points out, the Raiders have lost three assistant coaches in one day — offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, and running backs coach Tom Rathman.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
  1. miller4545 says: Jan 7, 2009 8:27 PM

say huh?

2. redright88 says: Jan 7, 2009 8:32 PM

help me; i’m in hell

3. RAWDAWG says: Jan 7, 2009 8:40 PM

WHAT THE @#$%^&*()_ them, Mangini needs some big names and fire power to impress me, not hooking a bro up if you feel me. Wrong Ryan in my opinon but hey brother vs brother when Ravens play Browns I guess. I need some good crap to get me going, because it seems the news doesnt come as easy

4. The Fun Bunch says: Jan 7, 2009 8:46 PM

5. Darth Ringo says: Jan 7, 2009 8:50 PM

I like how the Raiders are playing this. Next season they won’t even use any coaches. The players will be guided by Al Davis from his tower a la Emperor Palpatine.

6. kiji says: Jan 7, 2009 8:51 PM

Rob Ryan is a terrific DC. Daboll was said to be the OC in waiting with the Jets.

7. Mbehavin2 says: Jan 7, 2009 8:56 PM

Rob might be the “inside man” for the Browns like he has been for Weird Al.

8. jaxdolfan says: Jan 7, 2009 8:56 PM

At what point can Goodell enforce a Baker act on Al Davis?

9. JckVncenz says: Jan 7, 2009 9:01 PM

I’d stick with Chudzinski personally. If Mangini calls the plays (unlike RAC), and let’s Chud draw up the plays. Chud is a good O-coordinator.

10. boardnut32 says: Jan 7, 2009 9:07 PM

Good bye Rob Ryan! Sorry Cleveland. His Defense could never stop the run!

11. virtualplague says: Jan 7, 2009 9:07 PM

Because Ryan worked such incredible wonders with that amazing Raiders defense

12. mpoles says: Jan 7, 2009 9:11 PM

Will the last one out at the Coliseum please turn out the lights…

13. Simdogga77 says: Jan 7, 2009 9:13 PM

This just gets better and better LOL
    What a mess!

14. Flint521466 says: Jan 7, 2009 9:34 PM

Chud is a Pud.

15. ppdoc says: Jan 7, 2009 9:39 PM

Rob ain’t Rex. Sorry Clowns.

16. Patsfanin Philly says: Jan 7, 2009 10:05 PM

The fun Bunch wrote..
    >>>I went to college with Daboll. He was on my intramural basketball team one year. What do I win?<<<<
    You win a week back in Rochester……Second prize is two weeks……..

17. Rob0729 says: Jan 7, 2009 10:07 PM

Actually, before the season was over, I actually expected Mangini to throw his coordinators in New York under the bus and hire new coordinators. I actually predicted that DaBoll would be promoted and Ryan would leave the Raiders to come to the Jets. So it is the right configuration, wrong team.
    So basically, it is now all three former position coaches under Belichick. The Jets are done trying to copy the Patriots apparently, but Randy Lerner isn’t quite ready to give up hope that he can create a Patriots Central in Cleveland. My guess is the copy of the Patriots will fail like it has in every other place that has tried to copy the Patriots’ blueprints.

18. JoeSixPack says: Jan 7, 2009 10:26 PM

Give Lerner credit. He wanted to sell tickets and sales are going through the roof. Pittsburgh fans can’t buy them quick enough.

19. vincelombardi says: Jan 7, 2009 10:48 PM

good one joe six pack, had me chuckling! yeah i am sure the ben-gals, ravens and steelers are all just enjoying this. relax mike brown, you are now SECOND worst organization in ohio!!!!

20. Ralph GreNader says: Jan 7, 2009 11:08 PM

wow. im kind of speachless. I really want to slam my browns but at this point its like kicking a retarded dog with emphasema will he’s lying on his dawgy death bed

21. PurpleRulz says: Jan 7, 2009 11:37 PM

More penis envy from the Cleveland nation. They so want to be the Ravens that it is hilarious.
    GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!

22. DarthPirate says: Jan 8, 2009 12:42 AM

I’m bummed out about Rathman though, he was a good coach. So is Brian Schneider, and rumor has it he will be leaving as well. I would like Cable to hang around in some capacity, be it as a HC or OC, or as the line coach. We need some continuity.
    I think Cable stays as head coach.

23. Dok GonZo says: Jan 8, 2009 1:43 AM

When Daboll left the Pats to join Hamburger Helper in NJ there wasn’t much effort made to halt his migration. Now with Tubby ridden out of town to the wilds of Ohio, he’s taking what few friends he has with him. Either way, the Browns are getting another cast-off.
    Mark my words, his next move is to take a page out of Tuna 101 and grab a few decent FA’s from the Jets to build his powerbase of support in Cleveland. Which will no doubt do wonders for overall team morale.
    What Lerner (and I guess the rest of the owners) haven’t figured out is that “copying the Patriots” has to start at the top. Kraft sets the tone for the whole organization, he makes some tough choices but his motivation is always “what’s best for the team.” And if you take care of the team, the championships take care of themselves. There’s no “i” in team, but there is in “idiot” – actually there’s 2 of ’em. There’s a deep meaning in there someplace.

24. Lynyrd Skynyrd Fan says: Jan 8, 2009 2:38 AM

“boardnut32 says:
    January 7th, 2009 at 9:07 pm
    Good bye Rob Ryan! Sorry Cleveland. His Defense could never stop the run!”
    And we could before? He’ll fit right in! 😀

25. MrSalamander says: Jan 8, 2009 6:19 AM

All hail the end of the Silver and Black Cul de Sac!
    Somewhere Willie Parker, Willis McGahee and Cedric Benson are taking bets. Peace out, Ryan – the brown suits you and your bullsh.. defense. Sorry Brownies, you got the wrong Ryan. Look at the bright side: you can fire this guy in a year, plus: we didn’t have time to staple Weird Al to his fat ass!

26. joetoronto says: Jan 8, 2009 6:20 AM

Rob Ryan is gone?
    It’s a happy day in Raiderland.

27. oakland211 says: Jan 8, 2009 7:35 AM

If its Brown……
    Bye bye Ryan

28. TDAWG69 says: Jan 8, 2009 8:21 AM

“ppdoc says:
    January 7th, 2009 at 9:39 pm
    Rob ain’t Rex. Sorry Clowns”
    Are you really the PeePee Doc? I have this burnign sensation everytime I see one of those urine soaked towels you a.h.o.l.e.s. wave around….
    peepee doc….hilarious! Now go enjoy your last game of the season with your squeelers and that wuss QB of yours….Is it just me, or does Hines Ward have that same John Elway, I want to smack that smile off your face” look??

29. blknslvr says: Jan 8, 2009 10:06 AM

well no more prevent to win defense. 2 coordinators and a coach out in 1 day. your move Al.

30. eklypse69 says: Jan 8, 2009 11:23 AM

On one hand, I am a bit relieved to see Ryan go. His defense was good in spurts, in spots, etc, but never all at once and never the entire D.
    Knapp was a giant waste of space. plain and simple. When you lose your play calling duties cause you suck so bad, it’s obviously not the job for you.
    Rathman hurts. I’m not gonna sit here and bullshit as though getting rid of him was a good decision. I think it sucks, considering it was the only avenue of our offense that was improving.
    My main concern is, what the hell do we do now? The guys we cut were above average to piss poor, but who out there in the open market is A. available
    B. as good or better than what we had
    C. willing to put up with Al Davis’s bullshit
    D. willing to come to a sinking ship and bail water till it rights itself?
    I recall someone saying earlier in the season when we cut Whiner-baby Kiffin “It’s only gonna get worse before it gets better.” More prophetic words could not have been spoken it seems.

31. radrntn says: Jan 8, 2009 11:38 AM