ROMO WANTS TO COACH THE BRONCOS

Maybe it’s the lingering effects of the steroids.
Or maybe he’s just not very bright.
Regardless, former NFL linebacker Bill Romanowski wants to be the next head coach of the Broncos.
And unlike other former NFL players such as Deion Sanders and Marshall Faulk, who have merely talked about their desires, Romo has rolled up his sleeves and gone high-tech, preparing a Power Point presentation that makes his case.
Slide No. 7:  “If a player gets out of line, I will break his face.”
Romo, we hope this is just a way to inject your name back into the NFL consciousness, given that you’ve pretty much dropped off the face of the earth — and would have remained out of view until the time comes for Hollywood to cast the next movie featuring former football players showing tremendous range by playing, um, football players.
Regardless, he sounds serious about it.
“I can’t stop thinking about this,” Romanowski told the Associated Press.  “This may be a complete fantasy and that’s all right. . . .  At the end of the day, nothing may happen from it.”
Well, at least he’s not completely delusional.
And that’s the reality — Romanowski has no experience, apart from helping with his son’s team.  So if he wants to become an NFL head coach, he needs to rekindle a relationship with a former teammate whose face he didn’t break or position coach whose authority he didn’t undermine by breaking teammates’ faces and become an assistant coach, and then work his way up.
“For Pat [Bowlen] to do something like this, it would take him being a visionary, thinking outside the box,” Romanowski said.
Visionary?  No.
Inebriated?  Yes.
But Romanowski doesn’t simply want to coach the team.  He wants to revamp the front office, specifically as it relates to draft preparations.
“I’d take the top 60 colleges in the country that produce pro prospects and I would treat those 60 like they were their own league and start looking at freshmen when they come in,” Romanowski said.  “When 80 percent of your talent comes from 20 percent of the colleges, I think you ought to have a pretty strong focus on those colleges.”
Great.  Fine.  We like it when people have ideas.  But, again, there’s a way to go about getting in position to be able to share those ideas.  Publicly grandstanding for a high profile job despite having no experience and an admitted history of steroids use and confirmed erratic behavior (probably from the steroids) isn’t the way to make it happen.
Think of it this way.  How many of the other candidates for any of the current NFL head-coaching jobs are publicly lobbying for the positions?
Exactly.
Romo, you’ve gotten your name on television and in the papers again.  Congratulations.
Now, please let the Broncos focus on their efforts to hire a coach.  A qualified one.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
41 Responses to “ROMO WANTS TO COACH THE BRONCOS”
  1. notkrisroe says: Jan 9, 2009 7:19 AM

Yeah, he has no chance, but at least the man can dream.

2. Vox Veretus says: Jan 9, 2009 7:22 AM

tony romo?

3. JoeSixPack says: Jan 9, 2009 7:40 AM

I assumed you were talking about Tony Romo once I saw the headline too – which tells you how realistic Romonowski coaching them would be.

4. Scout says: Jan 9, 2009 7:50 AM

Think of it this way. How many of the other candidates for any of the current NFL head-coaching jobs are publicly lobbying for the positions?
    Marshall Faulk. Jim Fassel.

5. jakethesnake says: Jan 9, 2009 7:51 AM

“tony romo?”
    My first thought when I read the title…

6. RobJH says: Jan 9, 2009 8:06 AM

I’m all for it. I think it would be great to see Romanowski spitting in the opposing coaches face instead of shaking hands after a loss. Plus, it would be pretty “visionary” for an NFL Head Coach to also the players’ roids dealer. This could have HBO’s Hard Knocks all over it.

7. Legend says: Jan 9, 2009 8:21 AM

I’m enthusiastic about this. I think Pat Bowlen needs to take this very seriously and put his “visionary” cap on. I think this would be a very bold move by the franchise and would be the perfect next-move after the offense-minded Shanahan to have a tough defense-minded coach like Romonowski – who would not be able to say that the Broncos best days lay in the future. I assure you I’m only looking out for the future of the Bronco organization – as a Raider fan I have a vested interest in having strong, quality teams within the division.
    LOL!

8. TCLARK says: Jan 9, 2009 8:23 AM

Let him coach the Jets. PPPPPLEASE?

9. Kotite says: Jan 9, 2009 8:25 AM

He should stick to what he knows best and open a pharmacy instead.

10. oakland211 says: Jan 9, 2009 8:35 AM

I think of Singletary pulling his pants down in the locker room…..now this. I could only imagine what Romanowski would do after a big loss.

11. goJags says: Jan 9, 2009 8:39 AM

I also thought it was Tony Romo. If its Romanowski, I would imagine Slide 13 would be about HGH.

12. brasho says: Jan 9, 2009 8:40 AM

I don’t think you understand the whole steroid thing, Florio.
    Not to excuse his use but look at where the man was coming from.
    An unheralded draftpick by the 49ers out of Boston College of all places. Not only was he not expected to play as long as he did, #53 wasn’t a great bet to even make the league. A league that as far as he knew, that was full of steroid users. So the man wanted to live his dream and compete.
    So here’s the question for you, Florio and the rest of PFT Planet.
    Would you rather fall just short of living your dream or take something that you are 99.9% sure you won’t get caught using, something you’ve been told and witnessed many other players usng, live your dream and play the sport that you love and make millions of dollars in the process?
    Let’s weight the pros and cons-
    Don’t use:
    Fall short of your dream
    Spend rest of your life wondering
    Work a 9-5 like every Schmoe out there
    Use:
    Play the sport that you love
    Make millions of dollars
    Become famous
    Do something that you’ve witnessed or been told that “all other players are doing”
    Take a few years off the end of your life.
    I’ve been into competitive weightlifting and bodybuilding for nearly 15 years and I would never even consider using steroids (though I hear good things about low doses of HGH for people over 30) but if I had the opportunity to live my dream and make that kind of money and I didn’t think I’d get caught… I’d do it in a heartbeat… and so would 99% of us. I’ve never used ANY ILLEGAL drugs in my life and I frown upon those that do but when you consider the trade-off I can’t blame a guy for using.
    Look at Hollywood, do you guys seriously think those actors from “300” got in shape simply through a strict regimen of diet and exercise? It’s called Winstrol and I would bet my house that nearly all of the actors in that movie was on it. That’s the way they do it in Hollywood, a guy needs to get into shape quickly so he hires a professional bodybuilder trainer to get them what they need to get into shape… diet, exercise, steroids. This has been going on since the early 80’s between Sylvester Stallone’s Rocky II and Rocky III… between those two films he turned into a different guy… and why do these guys in Hollywood do it? The same reason guys in sports do it, to live their dreams and money. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t try something, Florio, that would be guarantee to make you into a great writer… which would accomplish two things… live your dream… make you rich… you’d do it, even if it MIGHT have a few minor side-effects down the road.

13. patsfan1776 says: Jan 9, 2009 8:42 AM

Will it be a real powerpoint presentation or will he have an assistant changing overheads as he clicks his fingers like when Newman has Jerry in the Post Office for mail fraud. Will Romo’s slides contain any hot tub photos?

14. WheresSeptien says: Jan 9, 2009 8:46 AM

Nice Title Florio

15. artvandelay says: Jan 9, 2009 8:52 AM

Vox is a tool.

16. LBcrazy says: Jan 9, 2009 8:54 AM

How about getting some coaching EXPERIENCE and working your way up asshole? The egos and absolute delusional stupidity of these former players absolutely drives me insane when it comes to matters like this.

17. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Jan 9, 2009 9:00 AM

““I’d take the top 60 colleges in the country that produce pro prospects and I would treat those 60 like they were their own league and start looking at freshmen when they come in,” Romanowski said. ”When 80 percent of your talent comes from 20 percent of the colleges, I think you ought to have a pretty strong focus on those colleges.” ”
    Gee, I bet nobody’s thought of looking for top talent in the SEC, Pac-10, Big12, Big 10, ACC, and Big East. And here I thought all the NFL teams were looking in the Ivy League. What a great idea. Yep, that’ll get you ahead of your competition.
    Kids, this is why you lay off the ‘roids. Rots your damn brain.

18. ronry says: Jan 9, 2009 9:02 AM

Will J.J. Stokes be his reciever coach? Seriously, how would Romanowski possibly set an example to the players about how they are to behave.

19. Delta Rider says: Jan 9, 2009 9:06 AM

I think the Broncos should do it – at least then, I’d feel a little better about what the Bills did about their head coach this offseason!

20. mike428 says: Jan 9, 2009 9:18 AM

Hmmm…maybe the Lions will take a crack at Romo?

21. stwasm says: Jan 9, 2009 9:24 AM

Heck, fire Wade Phillips and let him coach the Cowboys. I’d love to see what happens when Romanowski spits in T.O.’s face when he starts whining about not getting the ball enough.

22. Vox Veretus says: Jan 9, 2009 9:26 AM

Judge Arthur Vandelay is a tool

23. Vox Veritas says: Jan 9, 2009 9:27 AM

“Don’t tell me you wouldn’t try something, Florio, that would be guarantee to make you into a great writer”
    You’re a meathead. You realize that, right?

24. k-new says: Jan 9, 2009 9:54 AM

It seem obvious that in addition to shrinking certain vital parts of his manhood…..the roids have obviously decreased the mass of the grey and white matter he has. Either that or he has gotten his hands on some extremely potent hallucinogenics.

25. ROMO4PRES says: Jan 9, 2009 9:56 AM

Page 1 of his power point presentation will no doubt deal with properly medicated players. Page 2 deals with spitting in opponent’s face as a way to gain an advantage.

26. Vox Veritas says: Jan 9, 2009 9:58 AM

“I’d love to see what happens when Romanowski spits in T.O.’s face when he starts whining about not getting the ball enough. ”
    Romanowski would get his JAG ass kicked, just like Hugh Douglas did.

27. Mastro says: Jan 9, 2009 10:27 AM

The obvious solution to this is let him coach the Raiders. It’s a team that he’s played for, it’s a mentality that they enjoy, he’ll be reconnected with his friends from BALCO and maybe somebody will finally break Al Davis’ face. It’s a win-win-win-win!

28. JimmySmith says: Jan 9, 2009 10:29 AM

The guy is an idiot, a delusional idiot.
    Get him back on the meds before he hurts himself.

29. Pea Tear Griffin says: Jan 9, 2009 10:35 AM

This has to be the most ridiculous statement ever. Aside from the glaring basic math error (60 teams is actually more than 50% of Div 1-A), I kinda think NFL scouts do watch the top teams. Or is it coincidence that every year the first round of the draft is loaded with players from USC, Ohio, Florida, LSU …. etc, etc.

30. Kotite says: Jan 9, 2009 10:39 AM

I would like to see how he runs “spitting drills” though.

31. 3efin says: Jan 9, 2009 10:41 AM

“Then again, anyone who thinks that he can become an NFL head coach with no prior coaching experience is mostly delusional.” – Florio
    Hey….if Matt Millen could land a job as GM and team President, why not?

32. jimicos says: Jan 9, 2009 11:01 AM

oakland211 says:
    January 9th, 2009 at 8:35 am
    —————————-
    Maybe he’d sh!t in his hand and eat it?
    —————————-
    Kotite says:
    January 9th, 2009 at 10:39 am
    I would like to see how he runs “spitting drills” though.
    —————————-
    Duh… A SPITTS machine, dummy. The real question is how he comes up with volunteers for the ball squeeze, test and pull drills. I don’t think junkies off the street would volunteer for that.

33. Jon Snow says: Jan 9, 2009 11:26 AM

“Romo, you’ve gotten your name on television and in the papers again. Congratulations.”
    Again??? His mug has been on television in Denver as one of the analysts on Fox Sports RM’s “Football Playbook”. He’s also referenced and remembered quite often in the Denver media. So, it would be more correct to say that “you’ve gotten your name on NATIONAL television and in papers NATIONWIDE again.”
    Morning comedic relief to be sure…

34. hulksmash says: Jan 9, 2009 11:40 AM

I think he should be the Cowboys receivers coach, just sayin’

35. LOLFOOTBALL says: Jan 9, 2009 11:46 AM

This has to be the funniest thing I have read so far this year.
    I will literally* call Pat Bowlen my personal lord and savior if he hires Bill to be his head coach.
    *not literally

36. Freak Show says: Jan 9, 2009 12:19 PM

It’s always said the NFL is about who has the best drugs. Why not Romanowski?

37. techstar25 says: Jan 9, 2009 12:27 PM

And by “Romo” you don’t actually mean “Romo” because, you know, that’s another guy altogether.

38. andyreid says: Jan 9, 2009 12:54 PM

I thought you meant TONY homo. I was going to say thet he would be a good choice because of his years under Bum Phillips.

39. HarrisonHits says: Jan 9, 2009 1:54 PM

Oh yeah, the dirtiest player in the history of the league wants to coach a team. They would lead the league in injuring opposing players and not much else.

40. andyreid says: Jan 9, 2009 3:06 PM

As per standard operating procedure, we will not be accepting feedback from Cowgirls fans outside the state of Texas. HAVE SOME GUTS AND ROOT FOR YOUR HOME TEAM! “Americas Team, How bout them cowgirls”, these sayings are antiques. Vox was 14 growing up in Cleveland when that era ended with Troy going mongoloid. Long time ago. Grow up and root for your home team candy asses.

41. moonbeam says: Jan 9, 2009 3:19 PM

hey brasho,let me clue you into some facts.the lifespan
    of an nfl player is approximately 55 years old.the rest of
    the population lives to about 75 years old.
    i would rather live in the shadows of fame,than give up
    twenty years of my life.