ALLEN, GRUDEN TERMINATION APPARENTLY WAS A SURPRISE TO THEM

As we began calling some of our connections regarding the bombshell news that the Bucs fired coach Jon Gruden and G.M. Bruce Allen, we learned something very interesting.
Less than an hour before the termination, Allen was transacting business as usual.
So this thing came out of the blue, at least as far as Allen was concerned.
And, presumably, Gruden.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
16 Responses to “ALLEN, GRUDEN TERMINATION APPARENTLY WAS A SURPRISE TO THEM”
  1. dick_curl says: Jan 16, 2009 6:58 PM

Its time for Cowher Power! Bill Cowher is going to be the next coach.

2. Kool Herc says: Jan 16, 2009 7:08 PM

Yea he hired Joe Barry today or last night — clearly didnt see this coming — I feel for Joe Barry, who now will probably be looking for a job yet again in two weeks.
    This whole thing smacks of lack of foresight by the Bucs — the timing is absolutely ridiculous

3. ganggreen says: Jan 16, 2009 7:09 PM

you have to think they think they could bag a big time coach..i.e. shanahan?? gm/coach..???

4. Simdogga77 says: Jan 16, 2009 7:15 PM

WOW! I thought nothing could top the Shanahan firing, I was wrong.
    December must have killed them. I mean they lost their last game, at home, to the raiders.
    Seems rather late though, there must have been a beef.

5. Bradybunch says: Jan 16, 2009 7:17 PM

Jon Gruden and G.M. Bruce Allen says: 7:28pm
    Was that wrong? Because if we’d know this sort of thing was frownd upon… I mean, back in Oakland I used to do this all the time.

6. BuckFutter says: Jan 16, 2009 7:18 PM

Right out of the blue like that? The Bucs must already have a better option already lined up. I mean, they wouldn’t just fire their coach unless they were POSITIVE someone like Bill Parcells was going to join the organization, right?
    I mean, that’d be stupid.

7. Fanball58 says: Jan 16, 2009 7:22 PM

Cowher Power in Tampa Bay!
    Good riddance to Chucky the boy DumbA$$ and his “Dink and Stink” offense.
    Charlie at Noter Dame is next – the Irish and John Gruden are a perfect match.

8. mikebrownlovesmattmillen says: Jan 16, 2009 7:24 PM

I would think this would be a very attractive position for Cowher. He could have GM/personnel powers, as well as coach, which is what he is rumored to want. The Glazers are good people to work for. Supposedly.

9. Steve-o-bucsfan2 says: Jan 16, 2009 7:25 PM

10. Rick O'Shea says: Jan 16, 2009 7:29 PM

They suddenly came upon a situation with a coach, that was a lot better… mark my words. Spags? Cowher? Shannihan? Mike Martz… just kidding.

11. MYFRIENDJOHNISAHOMO says: Jan 16, 2009 7:33 PM

12. BuckFutter says: Jan 16, 2009 7:43 PM

“mikebrownlovesmattmillen says:
    January 16th, 2009 at 7:46 pm
    Also, for all you Gruden haters: Gruden hasn’t won his last Super Bowl.”
    Right. All he has to do is find a situation where the team is already built to win the Super Bowl, but is coached by a guy whose butt clinches tighter than a seal’s as soon as the playoffs roll around….
    He should wait until Marty Schottenheimer gets fired again.

13. mikebrownlovesmattmillen says: Jan 16, 2009 7:46 PM

“Bill Cowher is NOT the answer we don’t have the players for a 3-4 defense. Also I like the fact that no talent Shawn King is on local radio bashing Gruden.”
    – Cowher’s not an idiot. I’m sure he can coach 4-3 until the pieces are in place. However, being a defensive coach, he certainly doesn’t fit as well as Shanny, et. al.
    – I totally agree with the Shawn King comment; he’s an idiot.
    “I know it is far fetched but what about the possibility of Gruden going back to the Raiders (fingers crossed). That is the only real coach that Lord Al has/did trust.”
    – Agree with the Lord Al comment. Doubt if Gruden would take it.
    Also, for all you Gruden haters: Gruden hasn’t won his last Super Bowl. This guy is passionate beyond words about football. No one out there out-works him. He just needs to temper his temper and learn some people skills. His star is just now rising. You’ll see.

14. WorldChampionBears2008 says: Jan 16, 2009 8:07 PM

What would be funny is if Allen fired Gruden and then he got fired right after?
    Allen: “Hey, I just fired Gruden”
    Bucs: “Thanx, you saved me the trouble. Now how about you follow him right out the door.”

15. ParkerFly says: Jan 16, 2009 8:34 PM

For all you Gruden haters and Cowher lovers: Cowher won one Super Bowl, just like Gruden. Who cares if Gruden did it with Dungy’s team, what matters is he got the ring.
    Pittsburgh fans were calling for Cowher’s head because he couldn’t win a Super Bowl, and missed the playoffs for 3 consecutive years at one point. So you Tampa fans REALLY think you’re gonna be happier with Cowher? You’ll be getting the same thing you already had…a team that’s a playoff contender almost every year and one that occasionally advances through the playoffs a little.

16. ghtampa says: Jan 16, 2009 11:45 PM

All I can say is that it was 2 1/2 weeks too long.