Skip to content

INCOMPLETE REPORTS FUEL RUMORS OF HUE TO CINCINNATI

Facing the “if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em” reality of the new media, newspapers are mimicking web sites and blogs.
In many respects, it’s good.
In some respects, it isn’t.
Because newspapers still carry a certain amount of weight (and maybe they shouldn’t), the stuff they say gets repeated and magnified and often taken as fact.
Case in point:  We’ve received plenty of e-mails this morning regarding “reports” of former Bengals receivers coach Hue Jackson returning to Cincinnati as offensive coordinator. 
The last we checked, however, the Bengals have an offensive coordinator, Bob Bratkowski.
So what the hell is going on? 
Well, it started with Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun suggesting in a Sunday blog entry that “Jackson is . . . being approached by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to become Cincinnati’s offensive coordinator.”  Preston offered no details or citations to support the notion that Lewis would be firing or demoting Bratkowski and bringing Jackson back to town.
Enter the Cincinnati Enquirer, which seized on this single sentence and converted it into a full-blown article.
And so, because it’s now appearing in the Enquirer, it’s being regarded as the truth.
It remains to be seen whether there’s any actual accuracy to these reports.  And that’s fine; plenty of stuff that appears here and on other web sites and blogs are couched as rumor and possibility, not fact and certainty.
The lesson is that it requires the readers to have a more discerning eye when it comes to reading the local rags that follow specific NFL teams.  Just because a newspaper is saying something doesn’t mean that the newspaper is “reporting” it.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “INCOMPLETE REPORTS FUEL RUMORS OF HUE TO CINCINNATI”
  1. hrmlss says: Jan 19, 2009 12:46 PM

    So we have a rumor article about a rumor article, based a an article based on an unsubstantiated rumor? I have a headache.

  2. tgoods says: Jan 19, 2009 12:49 PM

    Hope it’s true! We’ll take any change we can get in the Nati.

  3. AdamF says: Jan 19, 2009 12:59 PM

    Wow, is this all you got today?
    What about Anquan Boldin crying like a bitch on the sidelines?

  4. Crushing Touchdown Run says: Jan 19, 2009 1:01 PM

    “And so, because it’s now appearing in the Enquirer, it’s being regarded as the truth.”
    I must be missing something. That, or the Enquirer changed the text. It reads, “The Baltimore Sun is reporting that…” I don’t see anywhere that “it’s being regarded as the truth.”
    Also, note the word “might” in the opening sentence.

  5. empty13 says: Jan 19, 2009 1:01 PM

    Ohso stinko will be overjoyed.

  6. Mr Football says: Jan 19, 2009 1:08 PM

    Mike Preston is a hack and most of what he says ends up not being true. He’s constantly making stuff up to create controversy to get people to read his articles and blogs.

  7. foss312 says: Jan 19, 2009 1:09 PM

    I can only hope the reports are true that Marvin is looking to bring back Jackson. He had (and still does) a great relationship with Palmer, Chad and TJ along with many others. Hell, they had to bring in Chad’s mentor to the Bengals staff just to keep the lines of communication open between the WR’s and coaches. The offense needs more than the 3rd and 12 shovel pass for a gain of 4, or the famous 3rd and eight pass to Reggie Kelly for a gain of 2. I think Hue would be a great Off coord. Lets just hope the reason for no changes yet was because Hue was in Baltimore. BRING HIM BACK!!! I will not renew my season tix if Brat is still the OFF Coord.
    Crossing my fingers in the NKY.

  8. empty13 says: Jan 19, 2009 1:16 PM

    I am sure ohso stinko is all choked up.

  9. Snake says: Jan 19, 2009 1:24 PM

    Well thanks for the lesson Florio. But doesnt it behoove you to keep us as ignorant as possible so as to create more hits for you? Or are you just being your altruistic self?

  10. ParkerFly says: Jan 19, 2009 1:34 PM

    Bratkowski was one of the hottest assistant coaches on the market a couple of years ago. He had a top 10 offense from ’05-’07, until it sunk last year without Palmer. Seems unusual he’d go, but when the coach’s seat is hot they do unusual things.

  11. 52decleetzu says: Jan 19, 2009 1:51 PM

    Preston is a disgrace to all “journalist” because while he claims to be one all he does is make s%^t up and try to cause controversey.There is about a 1% chance of this being true,and a 99% chance of it being complete garbage.

  12. foss312 says: Jan 19, 2009 1:52 PM

    Bratkowski was one of the hottest assistant coaches on the market a couple of years ago. He had a top 10 offense from ‘05-’07, until it sunk last year without Palmer. Seems unusual he’d go, but when the coach’s seat is hot they do unusual things.
    –When you do the same thing over and over,year after year, other teams tend to catch on, the opposing def. coordinators get paid as well, but no reason to make it easier on them. If average fans know the play before it happens, what makes you think that opposing coaches (who study the tendencies) cannot see it coming from a mile away…

  13. kazkal says: Jan 19, 2009 2:04 PM

    Bratkowski’s head has been being called for since 2006 because well offense was finishing top 10 it was still the same old playcalling….it’s like he can’t adjust at all….
    I would welcome hue back with open arms but I don’t see it happening because why would the ravens let him go to a division rival.

  14. WhoDey08 says: Jan 19, 2009 2:04 PM

    If you don’t have a O-line does it make any difference who the O coordinator is? And if the same o-line coach as the past 20+ years
    is still here how much change has occurred?

  15. foss312 says: Jan 19, 2009 2:30 PM

    You could see the decline begin to start when Richie Braham retired….
    Bengals need a difference maker at center.
    and a pass rush…
    and another stud tackle..
    and a fullback that will report to mini’s below 400 lbs
    and a run stuffer
    and a healthy Palmer
    and a competent front office that understands how hard it is to run a franchise and is willing to put a winner on and off the field.

  16. frox says: Jan 19, 2009 2:31 PM

    Mike Preston reported something without any support? Now there is a shocker.

  17. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Jan 19, 2009 2:39 PM

    “The last we checked, however, the Bengals have an offensive coordinator, Bob Bratkowski. So what the hell is going on? ”
    I’ll tell you what’s going on. Brat’s play calling is so predictable he might as well tell the defense what they’re running. You’d have to watch it to appreciate it, but those unfortunate few of us who count ourselves Bengals fans understand exactly what’s going on.

  18. 4G63 says: Jan 19, 2009 3:19 PM

    Preston is and will always be a hack………and this just takes the cake, or is it the bacon?!?!
    http://bacolicio.us/http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/19/incomplete-reports-fuel-rumors-of-hue-to-cincinnati/#comments

  19. cincykid says: Jan 19, 2009 3:46 PM

    Bob “Tecmo Bowl Playbook” Bratkowski’s playbook is as stale as lactating milk left out in the Nevada desert in mid August. The funny thing is that Hue Jackson would be a great addition back to the staff, but I think Ken Zampese would do just as good a job running the new o. He has bided his time and am suprised he is still the qb coach in Cincy. He will be gone soon and now is the time to give him a shot.

  20. realityonetwo says: Jan 19, 2009 4:02 PM

    “Because newspapers still carry a certain amount of weight (and maybe they shouldn’t)”…………….
    This coming from a blogger who every day rips off newspaper stories in a “one liners” column. What a joke…

  21. ampats says: Jan 19, 2009 4:16 PM

    Wow I wonder if this ever happened somewhere else?? A hometown newspaper writing an article of something that never happened and not checking their facts?? John Tomase !!! Who I can’t believe still has a job with that rag called the Boston Herald??

  22. south-fl-steel says: Jan 19, 2009 4:24 PM

    you certainly must have a “discerning eye” when coming to this site.
    .

  23. voyager6 says: Jan 19, 2009 7:43 PM

    I heard a rumor (so take it for what it is) that only staffs that haven’t had a coaching change are eligible to coach the Senior Bowl. So Bratkowski stays until Saturday.
    Hue Jackson would revitalize the passing game, but he won’t come to Cincy. Mike Brown will not eat the last year on Bratkowski’s contract or will hesitate too long until a better offer from another team is presented to Jackson.
    Brat’s offense is so lame that he couldn’t adjust from having Rudi Johnson to Chris “Fumble” Perry and ran Perry relentlessly up the middle when he was an outside the tackles RB. He tries to fit players to his offense, rather than to adjust the offense to the available players and the opponents. The Bengal’s offense will be impotent until Bratkowsi goes.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!