RUMORS FLY THAT LEBEAU IS READY TO RETIRE

There are mounting rumblings in league circles that Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau could be retiring after next weekend’s Super Bowl.
We first caught wind of the talk on Thursday, and our initial snooping didn’t result in anyone telling us that it was a crazy suggestion — especially since LeBeau is 71.  (I hope I look as good as LeBeau when I’m 71.  Hell, I’m only 43 and I don’t look as good as LeBeau at 71.)
We opted to post the item because a reader advises that Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio were talking on-air about the rumors today.
LeBeau, whose NFL playing and coaching career spans half of a century, deserves serious consideration for the Hall of Fame if the Steelers win another Super Bowl on his watch.
And the strong possibility that Super Bowl XLIII could be the final game of a distinguished career might motivate one or more Steelers defenders to attempt to pummel Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner into retirement, too.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
34 Responses to “RUMORS FLY THAT LEBEAU IS READY TO RETIRE”
  1. omegalh says: Jan 23, 2009 11:48 AM

Sounds like a gay moment: “I hope I look as good as LeBeau when I’m 71. Hell, I’m only 43 and I don’t look as good as LeBeau at 71.”
    When did PFT hire Carson Daly?

2. ChewbaccaforSix says: Jan 23, 2009 11:49 AM

Wow, that’s huge motivation for their defense. Good luck Cardinals.

3. IHateTheStoolers says: Jan 23, 2009 11:57 AM

“(I hope I look as good as LeBeau when I’m 71. Hell, I’m only 43 and I don’t look as good as LeBeau at 71.)” – Mike Florio, PFT
    “Cut. Print. Gay.” – Brian the Dog, Family Guy

4. ChillyBall says: Jan 23, 2009 12:03 PM

“And the strong possibility that Super Bowl XLIII could be the final game of a distinguished career might motivate one or more Steelers defenders to attempt to pummel Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner into retirement, too”
    Can LeBeau and Warner room together at the Senior Living Community?

5. VonClausewitz says: Jan 23, 2009 12:06 PM

Carson Daly called. He wants his gay back.

6. LionsfaninClev says: Jan 23, 2009 12:07 PM

Dick LeBeau deserves to be in the Hall of Fame based upon his playing career alone. He was a Pro Bowl selection in 1965 through 1967. In an era when the ball wasn’t thrown as much as it is today, he is tied for 7th in interceptions all-time with 62 career interceptions (for 762 return yards and 3 touchdowns), and holds the NFL record for consecutive game appearances for a cornerback with 171. He also recovered 9 fumbles, returning them for 53 yards and a touchdown.

7. LionsfaninClev says: Jan 23, 2009 12:10 PM

LeBeau deserves to be in the Hall of Fame based upon his playing career alone.
    In an era when teams did not throw the ball as much, LeBeau is tied for 7th all-time in interceptions with 62. He was a Pro Bowl selection in 1965 through 1967. He had 762 interceptionreturn yards and 3 touchdowns, and holds the NFL record for consecutive game appearances for a cornerback with 171. He also recovered 9 fumbles, returning them for 53 yards and a touchdown.

8. dabooo says: Jan 23, 2009 12:11 PM

He’s a HOF guy as it is. Mike Tomlin had better soak up every bit of info LeBeau has.

9. I C light pounder says: Jan 23, 2009 12:21 PM

i just hope that we dont switch to a bullshit tampa cover 2 system. when he leaves

10. WhoDey08 says: Jan 23, 2009 12:25 PM

LionsfaninClev is absolutely right. Dick Lebeau should have been elected to Canton many years ago.

11. ClevelandSucks says: Jan 23, 2009 12:33 PM

This might be one of the dumbest things you posted recently Florio. Keep it up jackass.

12. moswesley says: Jan 23, 2009 12:33 PM

Florio, I’m surprised you say you look worse than a 71 year old. With all the bloodsucking and soul stealing involved in the legal profession, I hear most lawyers live forever!

13. garyofferdahl says: Jan 23, 2009 12:37 PM

Dick LeBeau deserves the HOF. Bronko Nagurski says he was the best defensive back he ever faced.

14. HarrisonHits says: Jan 23, 2009 12:44 PM

Talk about hammering QBs, the Cards defensive plan should be to keep beating on Concussionberger and knock him out of the game so the Steelers have to put in the Pillsbury Dough Boy at QB.

15. Bud Grant says: Jan 23, 2009 12:45 PM

LeBeau should be in the Hall based on his record as a player. However, he played for the Lions at beginning of their 40+ years of sucking (aka the Ford era).

16. mrmagoo says: Jan 23, 2009 12:51 PM

Dick deserves to be in now. Selfishly I hope he doesn’t, but good luck to him either way.

17. John Cittebart says: Jan 23, 2009 12:54 PM

Not to mention his invention of the “zone blitz” — the first effective defensive scheme against the West Coast Offense.
    This is a major contribution to the game.

18. Mike D says: Jan 23, 2009 1:01 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

19. tomincle says: Jan 23, 2009 1:07 PM

I heard Terry Bradshaw was dead again, too.

20. Sillygoose says: Jan 23, 2009 1:14 PM

Oh, I like this one… One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy’s sayin’, “Whadda ya want from me?’

21. Snake says: Jan 23, 2009 1:15 PM

Great news for the AFC North
    Who Dey

22. duke_ford says: Jan 23, 2009 1:18 PM

I can’t think of anyone who deserves to go to the HOF more than Dick LeBeau. A terrific cornerback in his own right, he always saw plenty of action during his playing career because he was on the opposite corner from two Lions HOF CB’s – first Night Train Lane, then Lem Barney. He’s also had a remarkable career as a defensive innovator.

23. Mike Florio says: Jan 23, 2009 1:21 PM

@mrmagoo . . . .
    i feel compelled in light of the first sentence of your comment to take a moment for this very important and compelling observation.
    “that’s what she said.”

24. south-fl-steel says: Jan 23, 2009 1:21 PM

should’ve checked with me. that’s absolutely ridiculous.
    but, at least it’s a rumor on a rumor site.

25. thebeerbaron says: Jan 23, 2009 1:28 PM

The rumor was probably started by most of the offensive co-ordinators in the AFC…

26. steelerfan9598 says: Jan 23, 2009 1:47 PM

If he tells his players that he is retiring, the Cardinals have no chance.

27. mrmagoo says: Jan 23, 2009 1:47 PM

Mike Florio says:
    January 23rd, 2009 at 1:21 pm
    @mrmagoo . . . .
    “that’s what she said.”
    _______________________________
    LOL. I didn’t even know was working blue!

28. florio4prez says: Jan 23, 2009 2:04 PM

Mike, I can’t live without you but you drive me crazy sometimes.
    Glad to see you are (finally? not sure) on board the “Lebeau for HOF” bandwagon that actually been trucking around now for several years.
    I just wish though that you’d do at least a little research or simply know some of the critically relvant facts about many of your musings.
    Correct me if I’m wrong here (I don’t get paid to write so YOU do the reaserch) but I believe I’ve several times read and generally seem to know that NFL Assistant Coaching experience is irrelvant in NFL HOF consideration.
    All right, I’ll do two minutes of research…
    Per Wikipedia: “To be eligible for the nominating process, a player must have been retired at least five years, and a coach must be retired (as of 2007, retired for five years). Any other contributor such as a team owner or executive can be elected at any time.”
    I’m pretty sure that the word “coach” here means Head Coach, which of course usually includes Assistant Coach experience. But if you weren’t a player, Head Coach, owner, executive or writer/braodcaster (?), I don’t think you are eligible.
    That said, Lebeau still should have been inducted eons ago.
    Now get to work Mike.

29. Pea Tear Griffin says: Jan 23, 2009 2:05 PM

@Mike Florio
    Ha!
    BTW, let’s hope this doesn’t have “Monte Kiffin effect”

30. florio4prez says: Jan 23, 2009 2:21 PM

BTW, as a follow-up to my previous post here, Lebeau was of course the HC of the Bungals from 2000-2002 where he went 12-33, including a whopping 2-14 in 2002.
    If anything, those “accomplishments” would count against him
    Bottom-line: I believe it’s what you did as a HC not as an Ass’t HC.

31. joetoronto says: Jan 23, 2009 3:29 PM

Hell ya, LeBeau should ALREADY be in the hall of fame, but since he isn’t, he should go in asap when he retires.
    Nobody runs a zone dog scheme like LeBeau.

32. CT Stiller says: Jan 23, 2009 3:33 PM

“Mike Florio says:
    “that’s what she said.””
    Excellent! I knew there was a reason I can’t totally hate this guy.
    By the way, Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan aren’t on until 3:00pm EST so they couldn’t have been talking about this today.

33. Wick says: Jan 23, 2009 10:14 PM

Not only is LeBeau most assuredly meritous of being in the HOF, he’s lonnng overdue.
    I just hope it’s not one of those things that they finally figure out 50 years from now, when he’s long since deceased and his then 63 year old great grandkids are giving a speech about the guy they knew for during their childhood.
    As for the magnitude of the loss to the Steelers, it’d be IMMENSE on a number of levels.

34. SteelerChick0754 says: Jan 25, 2009 2:29 PM

Total baloney! Ridiculous! Talk about a rumor! This is typical of the media, trying to distract the players from their mission, constantly digging up dirt. In case you don’t already know this, the Steelers have had major hurdles to overcome this season, not the least of which was a possible change in ownership of the team which began at the beginning of the season and the toughest schedule in the NFL. They have overcome. They are focused and ready. They will succeed.