HAYNESWORTH NOT INTERESTED IN "HOMETOWN DISCOUNT"

Unlike Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs’ stated willingness to give his team a “hometown discount” to remain in Baltimore as well as fellow impending free agents Ray Lewis and Bart Scott, Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth isn’t embracing that idea as he approaches free agency.
Haynesworth is looking to cash in with the Titans as much as possible. He’s reportedy seeking a six-year contract that would make him the highest-paid defensive player in the league.
“Not unless they give me a 100 percent guaranteed contract,” Haynesworth said when asked if he would be open to possibly taking less money to re-sign with Tennessee. “You want to try and make as much as you can because if you have a career-ending injury you are out … and the team sure as heck is not going to pay you. It’s not like baseball or basketball. You want to get as much as possible.
“I’m not Terrell Suggs, that’s all I can say. He was saying they’d all stay and take a hometown discount, but it is kind of hard now being in the NFL and that contract is not guaranteed. My agent knows what we want to get and he has a number he wants to get. … I just want some money.”
Negotiations have been slow so far, according to Haynesworth who didn’t like the Titans’ initial offer. Haynesworth was the Titans’ franchise player last year, triggering incentives that prevent the Titans from using the tag again to retain his rights.
Haynesworth was named to his second Pro Bowl, recording 8 1/2 sacks last season.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
52 Responses to “HAYNESWORTH NOT INTERESTED IN "HOMETOWN DISCOUNT"”
  1. Mbehavin2 says: Jan 30, 2009 10:16 AM

“… I just want some money.” Kinda tough when Albert was paid in Cherrios and other food products.
    Gee a greedy player and agent. Of course he wants a lot of money. He would not like the real job he might qualify for if he actually had to work for living.

2. HAILSKINS says: Jan 30, 2009 10:18 AM

WOW at least he is honest and not blowing smoke up the Titans collective asses.

3. PackAttack says: Jan 30, 2009 10:18 AM

Lighten up Francis.

4. Bill In DC says: Jan 30, 2009 10:23 AM

Ray Lewis isn’t interested in a hometown discount either. I listened to an interview with him on local Washington DC sports radio yesterday and he said he is completely divorced from the contract end of things and would not be giving Baltimore a ‘hometown’ discount. He was non-commital on his desire to continue on in Baltimore, more or less it was, “I’m fine with that as long as it’s the best contract for me.”
    Other stuff he said makes me think he would not be a good match for Dallas. His response to the direct question, “How did you deal with the season-ending loss in the NFC Championship?” was worse than Romo’s in my book. He more or less said I play hard and as soon as the game was over, I moved on, I don’t dwell on that stuff and don’t let it upset me.

5. Mastro says: Jan 30, 2009 10:29 AM

I agree with empty13. Two years ago they did an entire report on guys like Haynesworth who slack of when they’re in the beginning years of the contract, but in the final year suddenly become pro bowlers. If I were the Titans I’d continue to give him a string of one year deals worth his value at each year, at least then you’d actually get some quality play out of his fat ass!
    GM’s should beware, signing him to anything more than a 4 year contract are going to be really disappointed.

6. empty13 says: Jan 30, 2009 10:30 AM

and what will he do after snagging such a contract – slack off like he did his first 2 years in the league?

7. pointNumberOne says: Jan 30, 2009 10:31 AM

Yuck. I don’t want him.

8. shuxion says: Jan 30, 2009 10:33 AM

He shouldn’t be, he has every right to test the market and Bill Polian has every right to change the rules so The Colts get extra cap room to sign him.

9. joetoronto says: Jan 30, 2009 10:35 AM

I’m willing to bet that Haynesworth returns to being an overpaid bum, once he gets his payday.

10. F00kFl0ri0 says: Jan 30, 2009 10:39 AM

Finally someone, anyone is stating the obvious…. NFL owners don’t care about the players, hell most fans don’t care about the players so why should players give a damn about anything else but making as much money as they can for their family?

11. spanky07 says: Jan 30, 2009 10:42 AM

I bet the average fan who pays out the rear end would like a discount as well…this fat, greedy bastard is lucky to be playing football for the Titans.

12. FumbleNuts says: Jan 30, 2009 10:46 AM

When it’s all said and done, He’ll be a Detroit Lion.

13. clint taurus says: Jan 30, 2009 10:47 AM

‘bye Fat Albert, it was nice having you in TN…well, you know: most of the time…well, OK, the last 2 years and that’s about it…
    anyway, enjoy your time with the Redskins or Panthers or Bronocos or whoever it is willing to give you Peyton Manning money…

14. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Jan 30, 2009 10:49 AM

““Not unless they give me a 100 percent guaranteed contract,” Haynesworth said when asked if he would be open to possibly taking less money to re-sign with Tennessee.”
    That’s actually a pretty reasonable statement. Why should he demonstrate loyalty if they won’t? If they want him to take less than market value, they should be willing to commit to keeping him around.
    In the wake of what’s happening with Tomlinson, I don’t blame a player for not feeling like giving management the benefit of the doubt.

15. VonClausewitz says: Jan 30, 2009 10:50 AM

Haynesworth is spot on. It is about money and your family’s future. Why pretend it’s not?

16. bet sports says: Jan 30, 2009 10:53 AM

Au revoir, Albert.

17. jaxjaguar says: Jan 30, 2009 10:54 AM

hahahahahahahahahaahahahaahah have fun with that tennessee. i cant wait til you guys give in to his demands and then his play suddenly drops off.

18. marcduke says: Jan 30, 2009 10:56 AM

Stay away from this joker, Ted Thompson! He is going to get his money and then play like a second stringer. Good luck with that Titans.

19. thesimplesilence says: Jan 30, 2009 11:00 AM

Buyer beware. Haynesworth followed up a good 2007 with a great 2008. But prior to 2007, the only thing people knew him for was stomping on the head of Andre Gurode. His play was wildly inconsistent and there were rumors about his lack of consistent motivation. Once he gets that big paycheck, there is a decent chance his quality of play will decrease.

20. phinfan13 says: Jan 30, 2009 11:04 AM

Gotta love the old saying “Show me the money!” I wish I could get paid millions to do something I love to do!

21. jamaltimore says: Jan 30, 2009 11:11 AM

HE’S DEFINITELY NO TERRELL SUGGS OR RAY LEWIS FOR THAT MATTER. FOR THE GUY COMPARING RAY LEWIS TO HAYNSEWORTH, DON’T BOTHER.

22. Bucco Brewski says: Jan 30, 2009 11:16 AM

Welcome to Tampa Albert.

23. titanfan says: Jan 30, 2009 11:17 AM

Who can blame the guy? Why would he sign with a hometown discount now, when he can just wait a few weeks, test the market, and then decide what’s best for him?
    I say no way he signs before free agency starts unless they pay him more than market?
    Hometown discount means two things. One, I don’t really want to move my family, even for another five million dollars (Think about that…how many of us would actually do this?) Second…I am in the right system that allows me to be effective. (Once I get paid, lack of effectiveness is a team problem, not my problem). I don’t see anybody doing hometown discounts unless as Terrell Suggs says, they really want to keep the band together.
    I completely understand a player that gets as much as they can, when they can. They are the show, the revenue is there, and I don’t regard it as greedy at all. Just bidness.

24. Vox Veritas says: Jan 30, 2009 11:18 AM

BUT DID HE MAKE A RAP VIDEO?!?

25. empty13 says: Jan 30, 2009 11:21 AM

he will if jonesy signs him.

26. clintdogg says: Jan 30, 2009 11:26 AM

if he doesn’t get some money, does he put his cleat in their face?

27. east96st says: Jan 30, 2009 11:30 AM

Nothing he said is a lie. But with a massive recession and people losing their homes left and right, a little tact might be in order. It’s one thing to stand up for your right to be paid the going market rate -IN PRIVATE. It’s another to be so divorced from the economic reality confronting your fans that you come off as an greedy asshole.

28. AllSeeingEye says: Jan 30, 2009 11:33 AM

He tanks just as soon as he gets his money. Guaranteed.

29. titans_fan says: Jan 30, 2009 11:35 AM

Tricky situation. He has the means to be one of the best players in football but as others have pointed out he’s only made an impact the last 2 years (both coincidently “Contract Years”).
    I hope they resign him because I think he’s addicted to the attention and the hype and I think he’ll be dominate for the next few years… but if the Titans lose him I don’t think it would be the end of the world. He was out for the Steelers game and the reserve guys still dominated. I think as long as Washburn is coaching them up the D-lineman for the Titans will always be good… maybe not great but good.
    But I don’t blame him for wanting the money. All the players think that way but most of them will never admit it. Its their job and, much like myself, people who earn a living always want to make the most money possible.

30. overkil2 says: Jan 30, 2009 11:35 AM

yes, these guys probably couldn’t get a job outside of the NFL, but they put their bodies on the line every week. Owners and GMs give them great looking contracts, but because they can be cut at any time and aren’t entitled to all the money on the contract, I don’t have a problem for a guy who is a FA trying to get what someone is willing to pay for him.
    The problem that I have is those guys who sign long term mediocre deals and end up playing well, then they want a new contract since they over-performed. Well, who’s the idiot who signed that crappy contract the first time? Take responsibility for yourself.

31. ditka96 says: Jan 30, 2009 11:39 AM

A Dude has to eat.

32. hurst2112 says: Jan 30, 2009 11:40 AM

VonClausewitz says:
    January 30th, 2009 at 10:50 am
    ——————————–
    Not always. In all the major sports, there have been many players who ‘adjust’ their contract or take lesser money to stay with the team.
    Hell, just this week, Henrik Zetterberg signed a 12 year deal to remain with the Wings. Round $6 million a year and he could have got way more than that if he went to market at the end of the season.
    Favre took less money, Aikman took less money a few times, Didn’t Brady as well? There are others that I can’t think of right now.
    What’s the difference with the above examples and Haynesworth? They are all proven winners, all champions. Al hasn’t proven anything yet.
    So, I’m not sayin, I’m just sayin.

33. oigetit says: Jan 30, 2009 11:54 AM

Its refreshing to hear him say its about the money. We all know it is. Others who say differently are LIARS!

34. centeredwarrior says: Jan 30, 2009 12:09 PM

Haynesworth really is an impact player, but the Titans are more of a team. I hated watching Kearse walk to Philadelphia when the Titans were having cap trouble, but the defense picked it up and they were fine. The Titans’ blue collar ethic works well for them – even if they have great players, I don’t see them having the “highest paid player” at any position – it’s not what the team is about. Haynesworth will go, and the Titans will continue to compete with the Colts for AFC South dominance.
    If he tests the open market, I don’t expect Haynesworth will end up with any of the teams that are “one player away” from a championship – his history and attitude suggest he’ll back off once he’s got guaranteed money, and I think a lot of football people will see that. That said, Detroit sounds like the perfect destination for him – they’ll want to make some kind of splash on the defensive side, and they don’t have any football people running the show there. He’ll fit in great on a team where 4-12 will look like a successful year. Of course, the Schwarz factor could motivate him, and maybe he won’t disappoint.

35. thegregwitul says: Jan 30, 2009 12:14 PM

I hope Albert doesn’t get sunstroke down in Tampa from consuming all of the team’s cabbage, because I don’t know if Tennessee is going to break the bank to that extent to keep him under contract, especially if they fear that he will follow the trend of other highly paid DT’s and take it easy once the money is in the bank.
    j.

36. LionsfaninClev says: Jan 30, 2009 12:23 PM

Any players and agents motivation for getting as much money as they can now is probably due, at least in part, to the fear of a lockout by the owners. If the players get more guaranteed money up front, they presumably won’t have to return money already received if the owners lock them out because they would be “ready, willing, and able” to work–assuming they don’t pull a Kellen Winslow.

37. Ralph GreNader says: Jan 30, 2009 12:38 PM

Man a majority of these posts have the word Greed in them. Its kind of sad that the man gets crushed even though he does what few athletes do now a days…TELL THE DAMN TRUTH. The owners have the money and he wants to get his hands on it. I mean why shouldn’t he? he’s the one putting asses in the seats. And with that horseshit roster he should be the highest paid player on the team. aside from Bulluck who’s old and johnson practically an unproven rook theres nobody worth a damn on that overachieving team.
    For Christ’s Sake he was in the MVP discussion late into the season as a DT.

38. VonClausewitz says: Jan 30, 2009 12:45 PM

hurst2112,
    Zetterberg is an apples/oranges situation. First the NHL has guaranteed contracts. Secondly he’s playing on Detroit the best franchise in the league by a country mile, which translates to a longer career and a way smoother ride. Third any continued success he has in the league will be useful to him when he retires to Sweden and has a load of business opportunities and endorsements.
    Re: Favre. He’s made his money already. Money wasn’t an issue.
    Re: Aikman. He’s made his money already and he had a career mapped out for him after retirement. Money wasn’t an issue.
    Re: Brady. Same deal as above. If you don’t think he’ll have a sweet life post football think again.
    The other thing that separates these examples from that of Haynesworth is that these guys are white and they’re quarterbacks. Haynesworth puts himself in a much higher probability of physical danger than anything experienced by a qb. Also I doubt he’ll be getting a whole bunch of endorsement deals when he retires. Same thing goes for almost every player who isn’t a qb. And then factor in the black factor particularly relating to endorsements and it gets worse.
    The point is, for the vast majority of players in the league, what they make when they play is all they’ll have. And they do this at great risk of brain injury (http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26/athlete.brains/index.html). So it is about money, especially since teams AND THE UNION have shown a real failure to give a damn about players post-football. It might have been different if teams weren’t so callous and operated with a non-mandated degree of honor, but they don’t. They run a business. Well so do the athletes. Their careers are their business. I don’t begrudge them getting what they can for their work. And I certainly don’t hold them to a higher standard than that of owners.

39. murray22 says: Jan 30, 2009 12:52 PM

There are a lot of players who play only for the money. Those players don’t really care about making the playoffs or winning the Super Bowl as long as they are getting paid and their stats are good, so they can get their next payday. Those players are happy when the season is over so they can start their holidays. The Cowboys have a team full of those type of guys. The smart teams try to find guys who love the game and want to win. The Steelers and Cardinals are in the Super Bowl, in part, because there are enough guys on each team that want to win, beyond getting a paycheck.

40. atlantafalCANS says: Jan 30, 2009 1:00 PM

“It’s kind of hard being in the NFL”…..yeah getting paid millions to do something you love is hard…what a joke! I WAS hoping Atlanta would go after him, but this just shows that he wants the money so he can become a lazy fat slob again but still get paid…unbelievable……..

41. ACDC84 says: Jan 30, 2009 1:03 PM

If you are aiming for the biggest contract ever for a defensive player, fine, but just keep it to yourself. You’re not going to get a lot of sympathy or support when you’re going to be making more money next year than 98% of fans will make their entire lives.
    The whole “I just want to be making enough money to take care of my family” line is so weak. I had my yearly review with my boss last week and he told me he had a $2 an hour raise for me. I argued that I deserved a $4 an hour raise and kind of felt like a jerk for asking for that.
    I got no problem with these athletes making a ton of money. Don’t hate the player, hate the game. I just wish they wouldn’t imply that they are making hardly anything.

42. east96st says: Jan 30, 2009 1:20 PM

VonClausewitz says:
    “And then factor in the black factor particularly relating to endorsements and it gets worse. ”
    Yeah. The “black factor” really held back Micheal Jordan and Tiger Woods from getting endorsement money. Never saw those guys in a commercial. Maybe, the endorsement issue is the guy stomped on another player’s head as opposed to the color of his skin.

43. ten-a-key tyrants says: Jan 30, 2009 1:24 PM

Get your paper big man…but if you do get paid you better come to play. He has been playing like the best DT in the league but I honestly don’t think that he means as much to the titans as he thinks. Big AL eats up blocks, he’s a beast, but when Tennessee’s defense is on the field for more than 2 thirds downs, he disappears. He doesn’t keep himself in shape, he is injury prone, and they convincingly beat the team that is playing in the super bowl without him. They have a tremendous defensive line coach who can develop guys. The Titans have a bright future, re-sign him for 2-3 years, pay him what he wants, see if he pulls a”Shaun Alexander” then trade/release him. He isn’t the long-term answer, but he can help them win now, and they have the talent and coaching to do so.

44. daaa birds says: Jan 30, 2009 1:50 PM

yeah its greedy blah blah blah….but (deny it if you want) every single person on here writing how greedy it is would do the exact same thing, just probably not publicly. why not make every single penny you can make a team think you’re worth?

45. hurst2112 says: Jan 30, 2009 1:50 PM

VonClausewitz,
    Very good points. I guess in rebuttal, I would use murray22’s explanation or simply agree with him. I’m guessing Al wants his payday and isn’t really willing to do what it takes to win a championship. That’s fine. I don’t agree with that but some players are business first.
    ‘Maybe, the endorsement issue is the guy stomped on another player’s head as opposed to the color of his skin. ‘
    Exactly!

46. Favre2012 says: Jan 30, 2009 2:09 PM

As soon as Haynesworth gets paid, he’ll suck again.

47. purpleguy says: Jan 30, 2009 2:24 PM

All male cheeser fans just sprouted woodies.

48. VonClausewitz says: Jan 30, 2009 2:42 PM

Hey if you want to believe that there isn’t a demographic spectrum in endorsement earning potential feel free to maintain that delusion. But you don’t see guys like Niklas Lidstrom making lots of endorsement deals in North America unlike in Sweden, despite the fact that he plays here. Same deal with Matsui or Yao Ming. In America the same demographic pressures exist whether or not you want to believe it, and it has nothing to do with racism.
    But to address your exact example, the people you listed are “stars”. Haynesworth isn’t a “star”. For whatever reason football players who become “stars” are either QBs, the occasional RB, pretty boys and contestants on Dancing with the Stars. I dunno why this is. Perhaps a swami somewhere can advise as to the reasons and then you can go yell at him.
    east96st says:
    January 30th, 2009 at 1:20 pm
    VonClausewitz says:

49. moonbeam says: Jan 30, 2009 2:43 PM

when the eagle finally shits,ol albert’s play will
    fall off the end of the table.

50. RuloMeck says: Jan 30, 2009 4:18 PM

Once Headstomper gets his check, he’s gonna be the same ole take 2 plays off for every 1 I try on kind of player that he was for the first 3 years he was in the League.
    He’s only had 2 good years, BOTH of them contract years. That’s no coinkydink.

51. east96st says: Jan 30, 2009 5:32 PM

VonClausewitz says:
    “But you don’t see guys like Niklas Lidstrom making lots of endorsement deals in North America unlike in Sweden, despite the fact that he plays here. Same deal with Matsui or Yao Ming.”
    Lidstrom plays hockey. Americans don’t care about hockey. Look at the NHL TV deal. Why would you pay millions to use an athlete most Americans haven’t even heard of? Matsui makes millions in endorsements in Japan – which is where he’s a “big” star. Here, not so much. Plus, the guy has a rough time with English (in fairness, I don’t speak one word of Japanese, so he’s far more bilingual than me). Yao makes some sweet cash here despite not really being a true “superstar”, but the money he makes here pales in comparison to the money he makes in China – again, where he’s really huge. Ad agencies want the biggest of the big in the biggest sports (which leaves out ALL your guys) BUT NOT have the guy be a polarizing figure. When Jordan was asked why he didn’t support a black Senate candidate in North Carolina, he responded that Republicans buy Nike’s too. THAT is what ad agencies want!! Head stomping, not so much.

52. superBROWNS 69 says: Jan 30, 2009 11:04 PM

VonClausewitz says:
    January 30th, 2009 at 2:42 pm
    ———————————————
    I couldnt even tell you what sport Lidstrom plays and i watch more sports than the average fan. Matsui is the 19th most talented player on the Evil Empire… a team that already has Jeter and A-Rod, why would anyone use Matsui when they could have those guys? and Yao Ming has made a shit load of TomTom ads. Yao gets hurt so much that we barely ever see him play… he’s lucky just to have that endorsement deal.
    your points are weak