As Sheil Kapadia of pointed out in a Wednesday night item posted while I was huddled in the storm cellar hoping that Auntie Em didn’t get whisked away to Munchkinland (where Jay Glazer spends the offseasons as the starting center of the local basketball team), the Giants are upset that agent Drew Rosenhaus sent an e-mail to all NFL teams mentioning that receiver Plaxico Burress is available via trade.
The problem is that Burress hasn’t been given permission to shop himself.  And this means that no other team may talk to Rosenhaus regarding the possibility of acquiring Burress.
Rosenhaus addressed the situation on Thursday morning during a weekly radio visit with our pal Joe Rose of WQAM in Miami.
“Let me just say in general that as an agent I can do whatever I want,” Rosenhaus told Rose.
“Let me clarify the rules.  Teams cannot talk to an agent about a player who is under contract, but there’s no limits on what an agent can try and do to help his client,” Rosenhaus explained.  “You know, the bottom line is that I get paid by my clients to advance their agenda, not the teams’ agendas.  And there’s no rule that prohibits me from talking to teams about any of my clients.”
So, basically, Rosenhaus’s position is that, while it might be a violation of the league’s tampering rules for a team to talk to an agent of a player who is under contract with another team, the agent commits no violation of the rules by engaging in such a conversation.
“The bottom line is they make it seem like it’s impermissible for an agent to talk to teams to communicate with teams about players who are under contract,” Rosenhaus said.  “That’s not correct.  I’m not violating any rules.
“I’m not required to follow the rules of NFL teams. . . .  [A]ccording to NFLPA rules, which I’m governed by, which is the players association, I’m permitted to talk to the teams about any of my clients.  As long as they have a representation agreement with me and they’re my client, I can advance whatever agenda I want.”
Rosenhaus also said that the e-mail mentioning Burress was part of a common practice in which the agent engages.  “I send e-mails, probably 3, 4 times a week, year-round, which list my free agent clients, my pending free agent clients, my restricted free agent clients, my upcoming rookies in the draft, players that are potentially going to be released, and players who, you know, are interested or who desire a trade. . . .  That’s what an agent does.  I’m doing my job.”
But while an agent might be immune from punishment via the NFL Players Association for instigating and/or participating in tampering, we wonder whether a team could take the position that such activites constitute on the part of the player conduct detrimental to the team.
Let’s assume the Cardinals refuse to give receiver Anquan Boldin permission to shop his services via a trade, and then let’s assume that Rosenhaus spends the next few weeks sending faxes and e-mails and texts to executives from other teams cajoling them into making an offer.
Under the rules as interpreted by Rosenhaus, such tactics are permissible.  So if Rosenhaus isn’t violating any NFLPA rules by attempting to incite tampering, the question becomes whether, at some point, the player becomes responsible for the actions of his agent.
We think it’s another issue that should be added to the laundry list of items for discussion between the NFL and the next Executive Director of the NFLPA.  Because regardless of whether the rules currently permit Rosenhaus to shop his clients even when they’ve been told that they’re not allowed to be shopped, players and the people who work for them should be required to respect the terms of the contract between the player and his current team.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
  1. tiktokdok says: Feb 12, 2009 12:41 PM

I think we can all agree, Rosenhaus is a douche bag.

2. psudu says: Feb 12, 2009 12:42 PM

Doesn’t it then become against the rules for a team to speak with Rosenhaus? Rosenhaus can do what he wants, but the teams he contacts can’t speak to him because it would be tampering.

3. tiktokdok says: Feb 12, 2009 12:43 PM

“I think we can all agree, Rosenhaus is a douche bag”
    …………..with a bunch of douche bag clients.

4. inmymind says: Feb 12, 2009 12:47 PM

Douche yes, but if I were a player, I want him to be on my side.

5. outliar says: Feb 12, 2009 12:52 PM

Why? What’s the harm as long as the team in possession of the player seeking a trade has made its position clear that the player is not available for trade. What’s the worst that happens? That team gets unsolicited trade offers, and might get one that actually piques their interest? What’s the harm? If a player wants a trade, he can continue to tell anyone who will listen that he wants a trade. Why can’t his agent do the same thing. And if a Team wants to call the request for a trade conduct detrimental to the team, then they can role the dice on an appeal.

6. longdarkface says: Feb 12, 2009 1:00 PM

This reminds me of the Lance Briggs situation with the Redskins a year or two ago. Redskins were able to avoid any repercussions because of what Rosenhaus is talking about here.
    His persona is still totally that of a scumbag.

7. Vox Veritas says: Feb 12, 2009 1:00 PM

Good luck trying to make a player asking for a trade out to be actionable conduct that’s detrimental to the team.

8. marcduke says: Feb 12, 2009 1:01 PM

Someone, please, render Rosenhaus mute already. Not dead, just mute.

9. TuPlaxicoHarrisSmithShakurBurress says: Feb 12, 2009 1:02 PM

Drew Rosenhaus is a clown and scum of the earth. The NFL should ban this tool for life

10. TheBigOldDog says: Feb 12, 2009 1:03 PM

“I send e-mails, probably 3, 4 times a week, year-round, which list my free agent clients, my pending free agent clients, my restricted free agent clients, my upcoming rookies in the draft, players that are potentially going to be released, and players who, you know, are interested or who desire a trade. . . . That’s what an agent does. I’m doing my job.”
    The man was doing his job. You may not like it, but that’s what they do and teams both benefit and suffer from it.

11. seaner44 says: Feb 12, 2009 1:11 PM

stop talking about your little windstorm that came through. Down in Texas and Oklahoma there are 8 people dead from Tornadoes that rolled through the area.
    Oh yeah, and Rosenhaus is a dick…

12. Santoniosgloves says: Feb 12, 2009 1:14 PM

What a tool…

13. yash says: Feb 12, 2009 1:22 PM

Drew Rosenhaus is the biggest scumbag in sports, next to Scott Boras. Well, they get to stand side by side in terms of douchebaggery, too close to call.

14. BarkingTuna says: Feb 12, 2009 1:34 PM

Florio, perhaps you could expound on agency as a legal concept within this context. My layman’s understanding is that an agent has a fiduciary responsibility to the client, and is bound to act in their best interests. If the player is prohibited from, say, shopping himself to prospective suitors to seek a trade, and the agent who is a fiduciary of the client is doing that very thing… do the rules not extend to the agent? Surely, there are limits (for example, not breaking the law) that an agent must adhere to in advancing his client’s interests… does that fiduciary relationship not extend prohibitions on the client’s actions to the agent by definition?

15. VonClausewitz says: Feb 12, 2009 1:42 PM

Rosenhaus is inadvertently acting as a one-man filter system for egocentric jackasses. Prior to bringing a player on teams should just ask themselves if Rosenhaus reps them or has thought about repping them, and, if so, discard the player from consideration. Problem solved.

16. spanky07 says: Feb 12, 2009 1:42 PM

Must be a trip to know that NOBODY but the people you are making rich and maybe, just maybe, your own family are the only ones that like you…what a life eh Drew?
    I can’t imagine what it must be like to have to deal with Ocho, Turd Owens and that assortment of players he represents…

17. jmikeh says: Feb 12, 2009 1:46 PM

Let’s not tee up Rosenhaus to be the keynote at the next ethics CLE.

18. Sonoco says: Feb 12, 2009 1:55 PM

When the 49ers got tagged by the league for tampering with Lance Briggs last year I suspected at the time that Rosenhaus was the instigator and the 49ers were falling in their own sword. It’s all that much easier to believe now.

19. teddybayer says: Feb 12, 2009 1:59 PM

If Rosenhaus can talk to anyone, but under the rules of the league, no one can respond, how exactly does this further the interest of the client? Answer: it does not. It incites, perhaps entices but at the end of the day, it’s nothing more than ‘agent masturbation’.
    Drew Rosenhaus, like Scott Boras, are so busy picking up the last $10k left on an owners floor, that I don’t think they actually do “serve” their clients. They’re whores, money-grubbing whores. They tell an Alex Rodriquez to take the money and go to Texas, a team that would never compete and only placed ARod under a microscope that he will never escape. How is that better?
    Let’s do the math: Seattle, at the time, would have probably paid ARod around $15 million/year. Went to Texas and NY, got an additional $10 million per year…lots of money, sure. But is he better off with $100 million in the bank vs. $200 million? He couldn’t spend either amount in two lifetimes. So how is that better? Scoreboard? Bull.
    And all of this, which, for all intents and purposes, ruined ARod’s life. Certainly wrecked his marriage. But the real beneficiary here is the agent, not the player. In my opinion, Boras wrecked ARod’s life with his meddling and advice. But that’s just me; I could be wrong.
    Isn’t douchebag one word? Drew Rosenhaus is a complete douchebag. And Plax has got more problems than where he’ll next play. “Longest Yard” ring any bells, Plax?

20. TheDPR says: Feb 12, 2009 2:10 PM

Just further evidence that Rosenhaus is a complete tool.
    Sure, it’s not against the rules for him to talk to other teams about his under-contract clients but it IS illegal for any of those other teams to respond to him. So what’s his point in doing it? Is he entrapping teams into tampering? Would he just cover up any responses until he got his player’s team to give permission to shop the guy? Really classy, Drew.
    What a scumbag.

21. JimmySmith says: Feb 12, 2009 2:22 PM

With that distorted logic, let me guess, Rosenhorseass is a democrat.

22. radneck says: Feb 12, 2009 2:24 PM

Rosenhaus is a total scum merchant. He should contact “Mean Machine”. I heard they need a good wide reciever to go with their new dog killing QB.

23. fumble1 says: Feb 12, 2009 2:48 PM

Stay Classy, Drew….

24. dcarde1 says: Feb 12, 2009 2:49 PM

Rosenhaus is the man. If I was a pro football player, I would love that guy to represent me. What do you think he gets paid to do, play tiddly winks? Its cut throat and the guy is money when it comes to this. If they do not thinks his tactics are legal then it should be addressed in new CBA. But its all fair game now.

25. dcouzens says: Feb 12, 2009 3:01 PM

Rosenhaus is a douche, scumbag and every other word you can associate with being slime of the earth.
    He is the only agent who is constantly on radio and tv shows to talk about any and everything.
    Teams should refuse to negotiate with him or any of his clients in order to persuade players from signing with him.
    Although it will most likely destroy their team, the Cards should hold Boldin to the next 2 years of his contract and tell him he gets no restructure and will not be traded. Just let him and Drew implode and embarrass themselves for the next 2 years. No matter how out of control he got, I would in no way cut him or do what Philly did with T.O. and cave in to Drew’s B.S.

26. robrosz says: Feb 12, 2009 3:25 PM

So is Rosenhaus implying that Burress has asked for a trade ?

27. TheDudeAbides says: Feb 12, 2009 3:56 PM

It’s not acting in the best interest of his clients because it gives them an inaccurate view of what the most likely scenario is. If your advisers are lying to you, that doesn’t qualify as advice. By leading Chad Johnson to think he would get out of Cincinnati, Rosenhaus set Johnson up to crater last year. Now, because he is seen as being washed up and a bad team guy, Johnson will never get that final big contract he wanted.
    The situation is similar with Anquan Boldin. Since the Cardinals have Boldin under contract at bargain basement prices for two more years, there is probably a less than 10% chance they’ll trade him. In fact, the Cards will keep him for 2 more years, franchise him, and then trade him. Which means Boldin will play the next two years for less than $6 million and then negotiate a new contract at the age of 31. For a player as injury prone as Boldin, waiting two more years to get a new deal simply because of bad blood with the Cards probably leaves $15-20 million on the table. If money is what this whole thing is about, that’s bad strategy. Most commentators believe having Breaston and Early Doucet makes the Cards more likely to trade Boldin, but it also makes it easier to keep him. The Cards have guys they know they can count on while Boldin holds out. Anquan will eventually have to come back and play down the stretch and in the postseason in order to get a year of service, and he has to play well in order to create a future trade/contract market. I hope it doesn’t go down that way since Anquan is one of my favorite players, but he really has no other choice than to sign an extension with the Cardinals.
    Contrary to what some have suggested, I still think any realistic bidding for Boldin starts at 2 first round draft picks. When you value a player to a team, you must not only value the quality of the player but the cost value. Having Anquan under contract for under $6 million for the next two years is like having Albert Haynesworth or Julius Peppers signed for that much in the next two years. That’s not the kind of value you’re going to give away for a mid-first round draft pick that’s 50-50 to be a bust and a 3rd round pick.
    Why would Rosenhaus care about creating a trade market for a guy who’s 100% to go to jail and be there longer than Michael Vick? Hearing all the Giants guys talk about getting Plax back really brings home the fact that they don’t have a good concept about jail being the consequence for breaking laws.

28. december says: Feb 12, 2009 5:42 PM

I know the Lions like to stockpile receivers, but even they wouldn’t trade for someone who’s going to jail, right?

29. Bob Zombie says: Feb 12, 2009 6:19 PM

Rosenhaus is a douche, that goes without saying. But he does show an uncanny knack for getting his clients out of difficult situations.
    Maybe Joaquin Phoenix should have called him from the Late Show.

30. fmfnavydoc says: Feb 12, 2009 6:36 PM

The lowest scumdwellers in the hierarchy known as life:
    5. Politicians
    4. Lawyers
    3. Investment Brokers
    2. Child Molesters/murderers
    1. Drew (gravy train) Rosenhaus/Scott (money bags) Boras
    Drew needs to keep those 14 karat gold gravy ladles full of the gravy he’s ladling off his “clients”…he and others like him are nothing but sports “pimps”…