Pittsburgh Steelers free agent cornerback Bryant McFadden has agreed to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals, according to a league source.
McFadden received $5 million in guaranteed money, compensation that will be paid out entirely during the first year of the deal.
McFadden was drawing interest from four NFL teams: the Cardinals, the Steelers, the Miami Dolphins and the Philadelphia Eagles.
John Clayton of and Alex Marvez of are also reporting that McFadden has agreed to terms.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
  1. CountSnail says: Mar 8, 2009 5:50 PM

Damn! There goes the Eagles trade leverage, to the Cardinals no less!! Oh well, I guess Boldin isn’t coming to Philly 😦

2. 43 pick 6 says: Mar 8, 2009 5:52 PM

Good for him, glad he got his payday. Too bad he couldn’t stay in pittsburgh. Hopefully William Gay is ready to be a starter.

3. Eddie Drycleaner says: Mar 8, 2009 6:06 PM

Holy jebus, we made a move!!! Of course overpaid because graves is trying to put us in the ground (he put me on the ground!)
    I guess we needed a CB desperately, but $5 mill of cap space seems like a lot considering all the other moves we need to make.
    Could Florio please give a summation of what we have to do as far as personnel, relative to the cap space we have left? By my count we have less than $25 mill left with which to extend Adrian Wilson, Anquan Boldin, maybe Darnell Dockett, get a feature running back, other marginal reserves, and sign our draft picks. Can/will -$25 mill do all that? Wilson apparently wants over $20 million guaranteed, per Mike Jurecki of Xtra 910. I personally think he deserves it.
    Break it down Mikey. Or if you’re busy, give Junior a shot. He needs to learn the family business, and no time like the present to start his training.
    Damn Suns lost again. I wish football was year round…

4. Eddie Drycleaner says: Mar 8, 2009 6:10 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like the Cardinals are aligning everything to blow this team up in 2 years?

5. Dorchester Frank says: Mar 8, 2009 6:12 PM

A big ha-ha-ha for the towel people. You can wipe your tears and blow your nose with those things, too.

6. Dewvine says: Mar 8, 2009 6:13 PM

Wow I thought he would get atleast 7 or 8 million a year. This is even more surprising knowing the Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. Great deal for the Cards who needed a corner opposite of DRC and they can now move Hood back to where he belongs as a nickel corner.

7. steeltown pride says: Mar 8, 2009 6:15 PM

8. ChrisJNelson says: Mar 8, 2009 6:20 PM

I’m so impressed that your league source has access to

9. big haircut says: Mar 8, 2009 6:29 PM

Excellent, great pickup for the Cards!

10. ScoobyDooDoo says: Mar 8, 2009 6:30 PM

Why dont the Super Bowl Failure Cardinals just go ahead and change their uniforms to black gold as well.

11. steel_twin says: Mar 8, 2009 6:31 PM

why would he want to go from the superbowl winners to the LOOSERS?

12. tbtsm15 says: Mar 8, 2009 6:41 PM

This is a two year “show me” contract… when it expires he’ll be 29 and in line for another pay day.

13. clouded cosmic says: Mar 8, 2009 6:53 PM

That officially ends the Anquan Boldin rumors. They were still trickling, but Sheldon Brown will continue to be a Philadelphia Eagle, making three times less than nickel-DB of the Eagles — Joselio Hanson.

14. Coach21 says: Mar 8, 2009 6:56 PM

Good football player. However, this is way to much money for his services. Steelers will use William Gay to fill this void. The good news with Gay is he is young and reliable. Gay played just as many snaps as McFadden this past season mainly as B-Mac’s backup.

15. CD_Ridge says: Mar 8, 2009 7:17 PM

Looks like CB has become a higher priority in the draft.

16. Gigantico says: Mar 8, 2009 7:33 PM

Solid FA pickup, nice one.

17. pasmithlaw05 says: Mar 8, 2009 7:42 PM

that figure seems low, at least in terms of total money based on a longer term, and I find it hard to believe the Steelers couldn’t come up with a comparable offer; either way, the steelers will miss him

18. steelerfan9598 says: Mar 8, 2009 7:54 PM

Doesn’t seem like he broke the bank on that one. I would imagine the Steelers didn’t make much of an offer.

19. Fly 1-2-3 says: Mar 8, 2009 7:55 PM

Eagles had no interest in McFadden.

20. Ballz_Deep says: Mar 8, 2009 8:11 PM

I wonder what the other teams were offering.

21. yoyo says: Mar 8, 2009 8:23 PM

So much for McFadden ever getting a shot at another ring. This years Chris Hope and Randel El. How did that work out? Steelers move on.

22. cardsfaninutah says: Mar 8, 2009 8:39 PM

I would have liked to see them chase Chris McAllister first, as I don’t know much about McFadden. Solid pickup though, and one that will make the defensive secondary deeper.
    Now lets get the Boldin and James situations taken care of, and extend Wilson, Dansby, and Dockett. Then take care of building depth – get more contributors like last offseason.
    Good move Cards, now keep it up!

23. yoyo says: Mar 8, 2009 9:22 PM

cardsfaninutah say I don’t know much about McFadden, but a solid pickup.
    Do you realize how stupid a comment that is? Maybe not, there are Obamaites on this site.

24. dystopianow says: Mar 8, 2009 9:42 PM

“I wonder what the Steelers offered if he only got a 2 year 10 m contract ……. We couldnt afford it ? ”
    Where’s that HGH guy when you need him?

25. andyreid says: Mar 8, 2009 9:48 PM

You are right Yo Yo but do you know who is REALLY stupid? People who voted for Sarah Palin to do ANY job

26. mrmagoo says: Mar 8, 2009 10:18 PM

yoyo says:
    March 8th, 2009 at 9:22 pm
    cardsfaninutah say I don’t know much about McFadden, but a solid pickup.
    Go get a bandaid. The douche is leaking.