EAGLES FIRE EMPLOYEE WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT DAWKINS' DEPARTURE

For those of you who don’t reside in Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love has featured a copious amount of brotherly hate in the wake of the local football team’s decision to allow long-time safety Brian Dawkins to leave via free agency.
We’ve heard from various media types in Philly, who uniformly say that Dawkins’ departure provoked the harshest, loudest, and most negative reaction they’ve ever seen in response to anything the Eagles have done.
It’s probably going to get even louder in the wake of the news that the team fired a game-day employee who voiced frustration with the move on his Facebook page.
According to John Gonzalez of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Dan Leone was let go last week, specifically as a result of something he typed onto the popular web site regarding the team’s decision not to bring Dawkins back.
Specifically, here’s what he wrote:  “Dan is [expletive] devastated about Dawkins signing with Denver. . . Dam Eagles R Retarted!!”  (On the bright side, his spelling skills are slightly better than the average PFT commenter.)
“I shouldn’t have put it up there,” Leone said.  “I was ticked off, and I let my emotions go, but I didn’t offend any one person or target a specific individual.  I was just upset that we lost such a great guy.  Dawkins was one of my favorite players. I made a mistake.”
Within two days, Leone heard from the team’s director of event operations, Leonard Bonacci.  Bonacci told Leone that they “needed to talk” about the Facebook page, and Leone agreed.
Two days later, guest services manager Rachel Vitagliano (are there any non-Italians in Philly?) fired Leone over the phone.
“I tried putting in my case to Rachel,” Leone said.  “I told her I worked there for six years.  I did whatever they asked.  I only missed one Eagles game the entire time I worked there . . . .  I told her it was my dream to work for the Eagles and that I’d never do anything like that again.”
The Eagles’ response was this:  “The only information we can share is that Dan was a seasonal game-day employee and not a full-time member of the Eagles staff.”
Apparently, that same attitude applied to another “seasonal game-day employee” who wasn’t a full-time member of the team’s staff.
Otherwise, Brian Dawkins would still be an employee of the franchise, too.

Permalink 81 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
81 Responses to “EAGLES FIRE EMPLOYEE WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT DAWKINS' DEPARTURE”
  1. Bud Grant says: Mar 9, 2009 10:13 AM

I wonder which teams are now searching Facebook (and MySpace) for their employees’s comments?

2. bcity120 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:17 AM

Wow. The Eagles are getting to be pretty ridiculous. Florio, you’re the lawyer… isn’t this free speech? Does this guy have a case?

3. rasalas says: Mar 9, 2009 10:17 AM

“On the bright side, his spelling skills are slightly better than the average PFT commenter.”
    But not as bad as the average PFT editor.

4. MarkB says: Mar 9, 2009 10:18 AM

So he tells the world that his employers are retards, and he’s surprised that they fire him?
    Florio can’t understand. No one fired him when he reported that Terry Bradshaw was dead – what’s the problem?

5. Ice-9 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:19 AM

Dude, if you’re going to do this: “(On the bright side, his spelling skills are slightly better than the average PFT commenter.)”
    Don’t do this: “We’ve heard from various media types in Philly, who uniformly say that Dawkins’ departure provoked the harshest, loudest, and most negative reaction they’ve ever *since* in response to anything the Eagles have done.”

6. east96st says: Mar 9, 2009 10:19 AM

“On the bright side, his spelling skills are slightly better than the average PFT commenter”
    One of your better snide comments as of late, Florio. Touche.

7. skettler says: Mar 9, 2009 10:20 AM

r.i.d.i.c.u.l.o.u.s.

8. SkapePhin says: Mar 9, 2009 10:22 AM

When did NFL teams start hiring FASCISTS to run their organizations? I hope this guy sues the team, because imo this is not just cause.

9. Dallassucks17 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:22 AM

In the plus column, the Eagles will now be able to subsidize Leone’s salary into Andy Reid’s Krispy Kreme budget.

10. JustPlayFootball says: Mar 9, 2009 10:22 AM

Wow- the Eagles acting like other big business in the United States when you publicly critize the company and you are not in an important position- tear em’ apart Florio…

11. dawk20db says: Mar 9, 2009 10:23 AM

They did fire Brian Dawkins. He left. I don’t get this backlash, they made an offer they felt was fair for an aging saftey with below average caverage coverage skills. He chose to get the biggest payday possible (understandably) so he went to Denver. This stuff happens all the time. Montana, Rice, Emmitt Smith, Derrick Brooks, ect.

12. stini777 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:23 AM

Big Brother is watching, Kids. Would they really can a guy for his FB message? Something tells me there’s more to this story that we’re not hearing.

13. Blackacre says: Mar 9, 2009 10:30 AM

14. JohnnyH says: Mar 9, 2009 10:30 AM

I expressed my frustration over the way The Eagles handled the Dawkins departure on my Facebook page as well. After hearing this, I am really surprised they let me buy a Dawkins jersey. Maybe they’ll even take my name off of the season ticket waiting list, if anyone from The Eagles is reading this I’m somewhere in the 60,000’s on the list. I hope they don’t because I am really going to need something to look forward to when I’m in my 90’s.

15. filbertkiwi71 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:33 AM

That may be true Buttercup, but that is only because we don’t have the ability to edit our comments after they are posted.

16. bwnyc says: Mar 9, 2009 10:34 AM

In my mind, the guy’s passion for his team is obvious. He sounds like a good, solid Philly fan. Calling the Eagles retarded is actually pretty tame as far as what I’ve heard.
    That said, employees are idiots when it comes to Facebook. Like the guy who called in sick and then posted Halloween party pics the same day (from the night before) with him dressed as a fairy.

17. TheDPR says: Mar 9, 2009 10:36 AM

>>>>>>
    “Leone said Vitagliano didn’t want to hear it. He said that she told him he couldn’t be trusted, that the post made the team look bad, and that the only way to resolve the situation was to fire him.”
    >>>>>>
    Yeah Rachel, because firing the guy makes the team look so much better. What a blatant display of ignorance. This chick’s in charge of guest services for the team? Wow.

18. Ytsejamer1 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:37 AM

In this market, it’s disgusting that any company would fire someone for such a comment. Now I can understand if this guy named an individual in the organization and smeared his name all over facebook, that he would be let go. But this wasn’t anything more than a fan’s reaction…I would be hard pressed to find any less than 50 similar comments on other social networking sites by regular fans.
    I think the Eagles should have brought it to his attention and asked him to remove it and refrain from anything similar, but not let the poor guy go. When people are trying to survive and hang onto their jobs in this economy, I think it’s just in poor taste.

19. jimmythe greek says: Mar 9, 2009 10:37 AM

Go Cards!

20. terraincognita says: Mar 9, 2009 10:41 AM

I bet Rachel Vitagliano is not having a good Monday morning!

21. mdel1120 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:45 AM

The Eagles Organization is the most arrogant, egotistical, dishonest, cap oriented organization there is..disgusting.

22. dbartdog says: Mar 9, 2009 10:52 AM

Seems that the Eagles are in every way as much of a thug team as Tampa….I wonder if they are studying the Tampa Message board, getting tips from Mod III?

23. gotwestbrook says: Mar 9, 2009 10:54 AM

“It really is astonishing how quickly the Eagles reputation has plummeted in this city. ”
    Yet they’ll still sell out every game and make millions in merchandise sales.

24. MOOCH says: Mar 9, 2009 11:01 AM

Hard to strike back at a team – you love them so you have to watch and go to the games. And we, as Eagles fans, were here before Boston Trust Fund Baby and Joe Comboveryellowteeth came…we’ll be here when they’re gone. It’s our team, so you cannot cheer against the Eagles.
    They revenue share, so not buying hats and jerseys is not an option.
    So how does a fan base get at the pocket book of a trust-fund baby like Jeff Lurie?
    BOYCOTT. Boycott the local sponsors (not the NFL sponsors). Anyone who is the “official x of the Philadelphia Eagles” gets boycotted.
    Training camp and the festival of sales / sponsorships it entails, gets boycotted. That is a big revenue loss.
    Boycott anything that directly goes into the pocket of Jeff Lurie. I mean, if we aren’t going to spend money as a franchise, they won’t be hurt by it.
    And he owes the city $8mm, so he should be hissed every time he shows his face. At the Art Museum. At Verizon Hall. Driving down Market Street.
    And shame on Michael “Tommy Carcetti” Nutter for palling around with a franchise that owes his city this much money when we’re closing libraries.

25. BFPA says: Mar 9, 2009 11:01 AM

(SkapePhin)
    *****************************************************
    When did Eagle management become part of government? You show a complete lack of what Fascism is, so I have no doubt you voted for Obama…
    The Eagles organization is a joke, no doubt about it. They handled the whole thing poorly, if you assume they want to please the fan base. Clearly, they don’t care about that, it’s all bottom line.
    I’m a Broncos fan, and I think my team overpaid for Dawkins. Hopefully his leadership will offset his declining skills, we’ll see.

26. empty13 says: Mar 9, 2009 11:03 AM

fascism?
    since a chick fired a white guy for speaking his mind… communism.

27. Tuck You says: Mar 9, 2009 11:05 AM

Yet another reason why it sucks to be a Eagle fan and great to be a Giants fan

28. Iggs_pissed_on_Dawk says: Mar 9, 2009 11:06 AM

who does he think he is upgrading the Iggs to “retarted” like that?

29. gotwestbrook says: Mar 9, 2009 11:06 AM

Brian Dawkins isn’t an Eagle because he chose to be a Bronco. I don’t fault him a bit for that, but Dawk didn’t get “fired.” He wasn’t released. He wasn’t cut. He was a free agent who CHOSE to sign elsewhere.

30. smiley says: Mar 9, 2009 11:07 AM

The organization looks bad…because…it is bad!

31. litzsout619 says: Mar 9, 2009 11:08 AM

$$$$$$ LAWSUIT $$$$$$

32. TCLARK says: Mar 9, 2009 11:08 AM

It always stinks when you lose a great guy. But do the philly fans remember how they use to be? Once again it sucks when a long time starter leaves, but in this game, you gotta stay young. You have a boat load of draft picks, you may draft a guy that starts for your team for the next 10+ years.

33. Hail To The Redskins! says: Mar 9, 2009 11:10 AM

Yo Florio! Are you actually cracking on the grammar of those who read this here site? Yes I agree this is the best dang football news site on the internet but don’t be disillusioned and think we are reading it for your writing and editing skills.

34. Campbell2Mossfor6 says: Mar 9, 2009 11:11 AM

Think about it from the perspective of the eagles organization. If I ran a company and had an employee publicly calling management “retarded”; I’d fire his ass too. Not approprite for an employee to question the decisions of the executives, at least not publicly. Its a business; doesnt run well when every tom, dick, and harry weighs in with their .02

35. phillyburdzfan says: Mar 9, 2009 11:21 AM

“He said that she told him he couldn’t be trusted, that the post made the team look bad, and that the only way to resolve the situation was to fire him.”
    She didn’t want the team to look bad…..so she fired him.
    – Non-Italian Philadelphian

36. Hollywood Wags says: Mar 9, 2009 11:30 AM

“(are there any non-Italians in Philly?)”
    RACIST

37. Dan O says: Mar 9, 2009 11:30 AM

He absolutely deserved to get fired. Companies today often look up facebook and myspace pages prior to hiring someone. everyone knows you cant badmouth your own employer publically, especially if your job is one that can be filled by practically anyone, and quickly as well.

38. Ben Roethlisbunger says: Mar 9, 2009 11:32 AM

Is anyone here allowed to publicly criticize his or her employer and accuse management of being retarded?
    Does anyone really think he should be able to do that?

39. bushead says: Mar 9, 2009 11:36 AM

yes, you can be fired for calling your company retarded. Yes, many companies will check on Facebook, etc and use the information as they see fit. If you didn’t realize this already, take note. No, there is absolutely no way this person wins a lawsuit in PA. Check the PA labor laws – it is an employement at will state, you can be dismissed for any reason whatsoever so long as it is not discrimitory.

40. Mike Florio says: Mar 9, 2009 11:37 AM

@hollywood wags . . . .
    is your opinion affected at all by the fact that (drum roll . . . or organ grinder) I’M ITALIAN?

41. bender says: Mar 9, 2009 11:38 AM

Can someone let me know where I should mail the burnt remains of all my Eagles gear?

42. benevolent anarchist says: Mar 9, 2009 11:39 AM

Are people always this stupid or do they make a special effort when writing on the internet? Oh yeah, I forgot; it’s cool to write like you’re brain-dead. :rolleyes:

43. al-in-dc says: Mar 9, 2009 11:44 AM

That is ridiculous. The guy works for the team for *six years* and they can’t give him a warning first? BTW if they are so worried about public perception of the organization, which gets more attention: some random person among thousands in Philly griping about the Eagles losing Dawkins, or the Eagles firing an employee of six years because of one ill-advised Facebook posting? I guarantee you nobody would’ve noticed what he wrote had they just given him a warning and moved on. Now the Eagles *really* look bad. Nice PR work by the staff there

44. Mike Maher says: Mar 9, 2009 11:48 AM

Maybe now the Eagles won’t have any Furloughs.

45. Andy_Reid says: Mar 9, 2009 12:02 PM

Watch your comments regarding our spelling, Florio. Don’t forget that many of us are at work, using our employer’s computer (and time) to read your articles and post our comments and are primarily concerned with not getting caught…at least more than we’re concerned with spelling.
    Re: The Eagles firing this poor schlep. It was a horribly stupid PR move on the Eagles’ part. All it has done is compound the “Dawkins” error and bring more attention to them. How much damage to the Eagles could this dude’s comments have actually done??? Anymore than letting Dawkins walk?
    I wish to God that I could quit this team.

46. Autoriot says: Mar 9, 2009 12:08 PM

Not sure if Pennsylvaniva is an “At-will employment” state or not, but if it is, then the Eagles organization didn’t need any reason to fire this guy. At-will employment means just that, you can quit your job anytime you wish (at-will), and you can be let go/fired anytime your employer wishes (at-will), for whatever reason.
    Sure it’s too bad that this guy was let go because of the comments he made on his own personal FaceBook account. However, the comments were not viewed as constructive by the employer, and they used it as a means of termination for this guy.

47. Smush Rodrigez says: Mar 9, 2009 12:10 PM

FireAndyReid21 says:
    March 9th, 2009 at 10:42 am
    The Christ killers running this organization are a joke!!! If they wanted Brian Dawkins back, he should have never been able to hit free agency. If they wanted him back so bad like those liars say they did, they should have began negotiating with him the day after the season ended. Instead, Banner goes on WIP and blames the whole thing on Dawkins saying Dawkins never gave them the oppurtunity to match the offer. This is typical Eagles management. Do everyone a favor and sell the team! You don’t want to win, so sell to someone who does. Nobody will miss you, you’ve made your money, you’re worse than Norman Brahman. Go back to Boston and make terrible movies Lurie.
    ******
    First off, FireAndy, worse than Braman? Come on. Just look at the track record. This organization has been WAY above average since Lurie bought it. I might not like everything they do (or don’t do)but please do not overstate it.
    THis guy got fired because he did something stupid. You do not rip a company publicly that you work without expecting reprecussions.
    And, contrary to the talk shows, not everyone is up and arms about Dawkins. He chose to leave for a great deal that I would have been pissed if the Eagles matched that. Dawkins is at end of his distinguished career. I must admit that I will miss him greatly but I must admit that it was sad seeing him not cover well and miss open field tackles.
    Also, your anti-semite comment, is stupid far from the truth. How can you call them cheap. THey pay money, they just want to spend it on worthwhile players. For instance Asante Samuel over that b1tch Lito.
    Sometimes wanting to win is to make the hard decision. Wouldn’t it have been worse to relegate Dawkins to a role player and have him passed on the depth chart? or to see him bouncing off bug WRs and chasing them? The team made the RIGHT call with: Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Trotter, Runyan, and Tra Thomas. I think they messed up with Duece. You want to hold on to people for nastalgia – you get old and stink real quick.

48. Philly5NDime says: Mar 9, 2009 12:11 PM

Boycott the Eagles season and when Dawkins comes to town with Denver, wear orange and have an orange out. If it is possible, hurting their bottom line, will make them realize letting Dawkins leave was the worst thing they could have done.

49. BFPA says: Mar 9, 2009 12:20 PM

If I’m a business owner, and my employee bad mouths my company in public, his ass is fired, period.
    I don’t mind if he objects within the confines of privacy, but going public like that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of bounds.

50. anebriated says: Mar 9, 2009 12:22 PM

It was public defamation of the team. Whether intended as such or not the team has the right to terminate his employment. What if he was only a mediocre worker to begin with and this was the last straw? You never get the full picture in these stories.
    And for every Eagles fan that has their panties in a bunch still theres 2 or 3 of us who understand what they are doing and are looking forward to a season of actually being able to cover deep…JJ had to run 3 safeties last season because Dawk was unable to cover, now we only need 2…

51. db105 says: Mar 9, 2009 12:24 PM

There is probably more to this firing than mentioned. Why would anyone give their employer any reason to look at them negatively in this economy?

52. bored_of_seinfeld_jokes says: Mar 9, 2009 12:25 PM

“FYI, to anyone who thinks this is an “outrage,” welcome to Corporate America! I know a few people who’ve been fired after posting negative comments and blogs on MySpace and Facebook. If you’re not bright enough to watch what you post in public forums, especially when you have fellow employees or even management added as “friends,” that’s your own problem.”
    Agreed. If you are going to comment about your employer, and your comments aren’t something you’d say to the CEO’s/Owner’s/big boss’s face, then don’t post them on the Internet. If you want to complain about your employer, vent to your spouse, or your coworkers over a beer. But wtf would you go and post that online? Yeah, the Eagles probably overreacted here, but I don’t have an ounce of sympathy for this guy.
    Oh, and one tip – if you’re actively interviewing, put your facebook and myspace on private. Or better yet, don’t post stupid stuff. You’d be amazed at how many people I’ve interviewed for a position, then look them up on facebook or myspace to make sure they aren’t freaks, and SURPRISE! They are quickly eliminated from consideration for a job.

53. chadp123 says: Mar 9, 2009 12:25 PM

what does a seasonal game day employee do exactly? sounds like a cool job. free admission to home games.

54. brddroppings says: Mar 9, 2009 12:31 PM

Way to make fun of a handicapped guy for spelling mistakes…….Bravo.

55. DirtyBirds06 says: Mar 9, 2009 12:44 PM

Heartless city! I love my Eagles, but damn!
    I have, however, read that more employers and colleges search myspace/facebook for potential employees/applicants to see what they’re really like. Ans a lot of the college recruiters won’t bring you on to their repsective campuses dur to the content on your page. Becareful of what post on these pages as it could serve detrimental.

56. Favre2012 says: Mar 9, 2009 12:44 PM

Dawkins is washed up, this is one of the few smart decisions of the Andy Reid era.

57. alewatcher says: Mar 9, 2009 12:51 PM

bcity120 says:
    March 9th, 2009 at 10:17 am
    —————-
    Free speech doesn’t cover publicly bashing your employer. You are free to say what whatever you want, but your company is equally free to fire your dumb @ss.

58. wonderwoman3566 says: Mar 9, 2009 12:52 PM

You should hear how the non game day employees talk about the company they work for…. Everything is nice when they are inside the building….but as soon as they are out watch out….

59. CheezWhizard says: Mar 9, 2009 1:08 PM

Wow, I’m impressed the front office got off their asses long enough to fire an employee. That’s the 2nd biggest move they have made this offseason.

60. johnnybroadst says: Mar 9, 2009 1:15 PM

This just in…badmouthing your employer is a bad idea.
    That being said, this Eagles company has enough to worry about on the field. They should not be firing people for echoing the fan base while the team is slowly dismantled. Way to let the fans know you’re being aggressive with your personnel decisions….provided the personnel in question doesn’t wear a jersey and pads.

61. empty13 says: Mar 9, 2009 1:16 PM

well you go girl, spill some more…

62. east96st says: Mar 9, 2009 1:18 PM

He should start a blog called EaglesFootballTalk.com and rip the Eagles a new daily from his Sprint phone while drinking Pepsi and eating Lucky Charms.

63. footballnut says: Mar 9, 2009 1:28 PM

If you’re a grown man you should be fired for having a Facebook page anyway…
    If you are going to play with a worldwide network, becareful of what you say and the pics you post otherwise you reap what you sow.

64. FireAndyReid21 says: Mar 9, 2009 1:39 PM

**********************************************************************
    Smush….I don’t disagree with anything you said. Maybe I went too far with comparing Lurie to Brahman, but there are similarities between the two. Example: It was no secret that Buddy Ryan’s teams of the late 80’s needed offensive line help. Plenty of pro bowl offensive lineman were available at times (Joe Jacoby being one who wanted to come to Philadelphia). Brahman knew the offensive line was an issue and refused to ever address it. The same thing is happening now with Lurie. Donovan has needed weapons around him every year except 2004. 10 years into McNabb’s career we are still waiting fgor them to spend money on skill position players who can make a difference. All the while, the Eagles are millions upon million under the cap, year after year after year. This is the reason I call the Eagles management cheap. Sure they built a beautiful new stadium and practice facility. But these things don’t win football games.
    I completely understand AND agree with the players you named and “who they were right on”. But the one difference is that Dawkins was the FACE OF THE FRANCHISE.
    As far

65. tomskiffington says: Mar 9, 2009 1:39 PM

“are there any non-Italians in Philly?”
    are there any non-inbreds in west virginia?
    and btw, nice of you to make fun of a mentally disabled guy for his spelling and grammar mistakes. stay classy florio.

66. ProfNozesall says: Mar 9, 2009 2:42 PM

From the wouldn’t-know-irony-if-I-tripped-over-it dept:
    Wow. His emotional post about a longtime fan favorite, apologized for and removed, made the team look bad? Not half as bad as firing this poor numbnuts just for posting what 99.9% of Eagles’ fans are saying/thinking. Talk about retarded – who would have even heard of his post, without this senseless, asinine overreaction by the Eagles’ FO?
    Overall I don’t quite believe the FO are actually ‘tards, though they’re not nearly as smart as they think they are. This event does show their true character, however – they are more like … turds.
    No wonder that no decent or better, experienced player wants to sign a LT deal in Philly anymore. He knows that if he does, he’ll only get screwed, sooner or later.

67. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 9, 2009 2:43 PM

The Eagles just don’t understand how to deal with the Philly fans, or maybe they just don’t give a rats ass. They seem to be destined for a “let them eat cake” PR nightmare some day, but I don’t think this is it – yet.

68. tomskiffington says: Mar 9, 2009 3:28 PM

“The Eagles just don’t understand how to deal with the Philly fans, or maybe they just don’t give a rats ass”
    i’m pretty sure it’s that they don’t give a rat’s ass. they do just enough to fill the seats and sell the merchandise. and unfortunately we come crawling back for more abuse year after year. we are loyal to our own detriment and they know it.

69. awesomeX says: Mar 9, 2009 3:34 PM

Do any of you morons actually have a job?
    You criticize ANY professional organization publicly and it is MORE THAN LIKELY you will be terminated.
    You’re all acting like this is a surprising and unfair move by the Eagles….That moron has EVERY RIGHT to be fired.

70. drbob1 says: Mar 9, 2009 3:47 PM

Rachel was funny to say to Leone that he ” Can’t be trusted”… Say, Rach, you mean he can’t be trusted the way one of his backstabbing collegues can’t be trusted for bringing his comment to the attention of the front office in the first place? By the way, Rachel, he didn’t make the organization look bad with his comment( probably only about 5 people saw it); you made the organization look bad with your over the top decision to fire him… and for all of the ‘HR darlings’ on this website that are saying the Eagles had the “right” to fire him; of they did, it’s an ‘at will’ organization, the question before the house is “should they have fired him” and more importantly how does a guy that wrote his thesis in public policy manage to screw up from a PR standpoint every chance he gets? Let’s remember folks, the Eagles are the business, we’re the fans, if there’s a ‘disconnect’ between the fans and the team, it’s their responsibility to figure out why and to fix it. I’m tired of this team always acting like martyrs when they do something stupid.

71. phillyphan68 says: Mar 9, 2009 3:50 PM

Gonzo wrote “The truly remarkable part about all this is that Leone isn’t bitter, and he doesn’t want revenge. He simply wants to be part of the team again.”
    If that’s the case, how did he get this story? I’m sure the Eagles didn’t tell him. This guy knows it was stupid to post what he did but as an Eagles employee (full-time or seasonal) he should have known you don’t put negative comments about your employer in writing. I’m sure the Eagles have an employee handbooks that covers this – maybe he should have read that before posting his comment.
    He’s now SOL…

72. Andy_Reid says: Mar 9, 2009 4:11 PM

@ tomskiffington,
    Your statement “we are loyal to our own detriment and they know it” could not possibly be more true.
    What the Eagles brass wants is to keep the team just good enough each year to keep the fan base excited & optimistic without spending anymore than necessary to do it.

73. Strider119 says: Mar 9, 2009 4:14 PM

I haven’t waded through all the comments, so this might have already been mentioned, but this guy is handicapped on top of all this other crap.
    Not that it should grant him any special consideration in terms of free-freaking-speech, but still, it makes what is already a disgusting display by an organization seem even more comically horrible. It’s like the Eagles FO is run by egomaniacal caricatures of 1920’s moustache twirling villains. It’s almost like they are going out of their way to piss everyone off.

74. Pea Tear Griffin says: Mar 9, 2009 4:29 PM

Wow!
    And the Eagles thought HE made the team look bad!
    oh yea and “are there any non-Italians in Philly?”
    -Yes. But this city is like 85% Italian.

75. Iggs_pissed_on_Dawk says: Mar 9, 2009 4:49 PM

the Iggs wanted Dawk back, but they wanted him back on the cheap. you see, banner and lurie are going for the off season salary cap championship once again and you can tell by how they boast that they will never be able to spend all of the cap room that they have. it’s not about winning or getting older because if they didn’t think that they could win with him they would not have offered him a contract. a million, two million, what kind of price do you pay for leadership like that? who are the leaders now? should have paid the man. instead they piss on him in the name of saving money. this team is def. retarded. you can have Dawk or the last guy that makes the roster. EASY choice.

76. awesomeX says: Mar 9, 2009 5:03 PM

I love the “free speech” argument some people are making..
    You should go to your job and start swearing and badmouthing your fellow employees–and when your boss tries to fire you, try dropping your “FREE SPEECH” defense. See what happens….

77. Hail To The Redskins! says: Mar 9, 2009 5:28 PM

@ tomskiffington
    tomskiffington says:
    March 9th, 2009 at 1:39 pm
    “are there any non-Italians in Philly?”
    are there any non-inbreds in west virginia?
    Based on your statement, are you the mentally disabled guy Florio is making fun of?
    If you don’t like Florio, don’t read the site fool. Stay Classy? That is original. How do you make such an unclassy statement and follow it up with stay classy?!?! Did you make a guest appearance in THE DELIVERANCE? Ned Beatty is that you?
    For the moron that called Florio a racist based on Philly being a town of with alot of Italians, who cares? How is that racist? Just because there is a majority of a particular background in a certain demographic, does not make that a racist statement. Get a life.

78. TheVet700 says: Mar 9, 2009 6:18 PM

This organization has sunk to new lows. They have lost touch with its fan base. They have become the face of corporate America not a beloved sports team. They are too stupid to realize that they have owned this town for years and they are letting it all slip away. They have had a strangle hold on us for years but the team across the street is pulling us back fan by fan. Me being one and sure winning a world championship helps. But the Phillies don’t seam to be a cold heartless organization with the attitude that a lot of big business has. If morale does not in prove the beatings will continue. And the sad part is they don’t even see it. They are so caught up in there own little reality that one day soon they will look up and the city will be all wearing red and they will only have themselves to blame. At least when Norman Braman was here we all new were we stood.

79. shuxion says: Mar 9, 2009 6:27 PM

Upcoming Eagles articles:
    1. McNabb complains about not having a receiver
    2. McNabb has some bad games and gets benched
    3. McNabb comes back and has great games.
    4. Begin again from part 1

80. bored_of_seinfeld_jokes says: Mar 9, 2009 8:09 PM

For all of you complaining about how this hurt’s the Eagles PR, how many of you are planning:
    1. To not go to another Eagles game
    2. Not watch the Eagles (or any NFL team) on television
    3. Refuse to buy any NFL licensed products
    4. Refuse to buy any product from a company that advertises during an Eagles game?
    That’s what I thought. Unless tons of people are planning on doing all 4 of the things above, the Eagles won’t lose one red cent because of this move. Who is going to stop rooting for a team because a gameday beers salesman or whatever he did was stupid and got fired?
    If you really hate the way the Eagles is run as an organization, hit them where it hurts – their bottomline. If you aren’t willing to do that, then just STFU and move on.

81. y2jdilemma says: Mar 10, 2009 6:03 AM

Free speech has nothing to do with it. Its the 21st century, and the fact is, you simply can’t publicly bash your employer, even on the internet. Here’s an excerpt from my Company’s Rules and Regulations:
    Blogging
    “Company X respects the right of Crew Members to use personal websites, online journals, and any other public forum where information is shared, psoted, or rovided through an electronic medium as a method of self-expression, and generally views them positively. However, if you choose to identify yourself as a Company X employee or to discuss matters related to Company X’s business, operations, personnel, or technology on any website or weblog the possibility exists that some readers may view you as a de facto spokesperson for the company. It is for this reason that Crew Members of Company X are required to observe the following guidelines:
    1. Clearly state that the views expressed in a blog are yours alone and do not necessarily represent the views of Company X.
    2. Comply with the company’s confidentiality and proprietary information standards which include the use of images of company logos, work locations, any other equipment, or sites used by Company X or its affiliates.
    3. Comply with this Handbook’s standards concerning respect for the Company, Crew Members, customers, partners, and competitors.
    4. Ensure that your blogging activity does not interfere with your work.
    5. Contact HR if you have any questions about what is appropriate to include in your blog.
    Failure to follow these guidelines may result in disciplinary action, up to and include termination of empolyment.”
    If my employer has this, it’s reasonable to assume that the Philadelphia Eagles have a similarly worded policy as well. If that is the case, he would have clearly violated #3, and the Philadelphia Eagles followed with what they deemed appropriate disciplinary action.
    Bottom line, the guy is a part-time, easily replaced employee, who was publicly bad-mouthing his employer.