MORE ON THE MATT JONES ARREST

Though the web site of the Washington County, Arkansas Sheriff’s Department says that Matt Jones was busted for possession of a controlled substance, KFSM in Arkansas reports that Jones was jailed after admitting that he drank alcohol while golfing, in violation of the diversion program into which he was placed to resolve felony cocaine possession charges.
Judge Mary Ann Gunn reportedly gave Jones a choice between seven days in jail and entry into a six-week residential drug program.
That said, there’s a conflict between this report and the content of the Sheriff’s Department’s web site, which strongly implies that Jones is being held on $150,000 bond (and thus could get out right now if he posted it).
So stay tuned for more on this one.  Either way, Jones did something incredibly stupid; the only question is whether he did it with alcohol or something else.
UPDATE:  Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union reports that, indeed, Jones landed in jail after testing positive for alcohol in violation of his plea deal.  He initially opted for the six-week drug treatment program, but then changed his mind after the judge suggested that he consider the potential impact of the treatment program on his football career.  It remains to be seen whether the positive alcohol result triggers any penalties for Jones under the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “MORE ON THE MATT JONES ARREST”
  1. brian_21 says: Mar 9, 2009 9:44 PM

Do people think Matt Jones should be punished severely if it was just alcohol? This somewhat changes things, if it indeed was just alcohol on a golf course and he didn’t put anyone’s health at risk.

2. splibmoney says: Mar 9, 2009 9:45 PM

Wow, this guy is an idiot. It’s like he won the Pac-Man Jones version of The Bachelor. Glad he’s not a Brown!

3. CFioren317 says: Mar 9, 2009 9:48 PM

Relax everyone…it’s not like he killed some dogs or anything. He is a fine upstanding individual, just like Leonard Little, Pacman Jones, and Ray lewis, and not the DEVIL like Michael Vick.

4. Ralph GreNader says: Mar 9, 2009 9:49 PM

well looks like at will be anoth 4 game or an 8. I doubt hell get a full season since he admitted to it openly instead of denying it.

5. greensmackginny says: Mar 9, 2009 9:57 PM

Hey whats wrong with what he did? My golf game was much better after I boozed up a bit.. well I didn’t feel I did as bad anyway.

6. Southernboi727 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:01 PM

Leave the guy alone. Who cares really? Did you know NFL players take steroids?

7. ColumbusWVU says: Mar 9, 2009 10:04 PM

Regardless of whether this is “just alcohol” or not, it is incredibly stupid to EVEN DRINK when you have a 2nd chance. Just stay clean for your prob. period. Am I saying he shouldn’t even have a sip of alcohol? Absolutely…..It sucks when you break the law and you live and learn, so f–kin’ learn from it, period.

8. employer says: Mar 9, 2009 10:15 PM

He was just trying to keep up with the Jones’

9. SATAN says: Mar 9, 2009 10:18 PM

Just wait a minute CFioren317!!! As SATAN AKA The Devil I resent being compared to Michael Vick. I may torure the eternal soul of Hitler, Saddam and Khomeini. And you can bet I can’t wait for Al Davis to arrive… But torture an an innocent animal??? Even I wouldn’t stoop that low.

10. johnny2times says: Mar 9, 2009 10:26 PM

So, he initially opted for the treatment program that might have potentially done him some good and then the judge, suggesting that he think about his NFL career, talked him out of it???
    Sounds like a good judge.

11. ftomeo says: Mar 9, 2009 10:31 PM

Goodel should suspend the judge. What the F kind of enabling is that? “You’ve hardly even done anything on the field, will never amount to anything, have a drug problem, but you shouldn’t clean yourself up if it means missing a couple of voluntary practices two and a half months before the first real OTAs.” What? Judge, enforce the law bitch, leave the encouragement and monitoring of NFL careers to the NFL officials, moron.

12. Gitlin1 says: Mar 9, 2009 10:32 PM

Next time I see the cart girl while playing golf I will order soda only. I would hate to have one beer while playing golf and end up getting a week in jail!!

13. titans_fan says: Mar 9, 2009 10:44 PM

For the “I don’t see what the big deal” crowd out there that think he’s being treated unfairly… HE AGREED TO THE TERMS OF THE DIVERSION PROGRAM NOT EVEN 6 MONTHS AGO!!! He agreed to it to avoid felony charges for cocaine posession. He knew the rules, he knew what was expected.
    The “there’s nothing wrong with what he did” attitude is a big part of whats wrong with this country… no accountability. Whether or not we think its ok to have a beer he still had rules he had to follow to avoid being prosecuted for an even worse crime. If anything I think he’s getting off easy, especially with the judge not making him serve the full sentence.

14. Chanduski says: Mar 9, 2009 10:45 PM

What a world class idiot, now he’s facing felony charges because of the diversion program he was in.
    Yeah he maybe didn’t pop a DUI, but he violated the terms of his plea agreement, so it’s pretty stupid.
    See you in the UFL!

15. obscenery says: Mar 9, 2009 11:14 PM

I’ve never done anything “stupid” before, so i’m going to be really harsh on Matt Jones for having a drink. I think it should cost him his job!
    okay, you caught me. I drink, and I even do drugs which could land me in jail for a lengthy term if i did them in the US. I get drunk, I get high, so i refuse to have negative opinions over anybody else who does. I just feel sorry for them if the dream they have doesn’t coincide with their personal life choices.
    Matt Jones hasn’t hurt anybody, and there are a lot of hypocrites who think the dream you have or the money you make should free you from the desire to relax having some (questionable) fun. Oh, if only life were like that.
    I’m not saying the guy shouldn’t suffer punishment for breaking the rules he broke, based on the system he bought into. I just can’t believe their are so many saints who post comments on PFT.

16. r5156c says: Mar 9, 2009 11:17 PM

Man takes the drink,
    the drink takes a drink,
    then the drink takes the man.

17. MaineMan says: Mar 9, 2009 11:19 PM

Drinking alcohol doesn’t really improve my golf game, it just makes me feel better about it. Of course, it also makes it geometrically more dangerous to innocent bystanders.

18. cliff1982 says: Mar 9, 2009 11:28 PM

Who cares, the point is he violated his parole. I think for drinking on the golf course and getting put in jail for it is a bunch of B.S. too. But if I was given the option for playing in the NFL getting paid millions or drinking with the risk of failing a random drug tests while I’m in a substance abuse program, getting kicked off the team, and going to jail, I think would definitely choose the millions. I mean the guy knew the consequences, why risk it? Who the hell gets caught for drinking on a piss test anyways? What a loser.

19. SoCal Bengal says: Mar 9, 2009 11:29 PM

Unless you’re getting paid to golf, who doesn’t drink when they’re on the links!?

20. ecsacker6306 says: Mar 9, 2009 11:37 PM

guy was on probation, wasn’t supposed to drink alcohol. He did. End of story.
    The NFL needs to drop the hammer on one of these guys, and quick.

21. Eddie Drycleaner says: Mar 9, 2009 11:58 PM

I love you Mike, but I would hang myself before letting you handle a speeding ticket for me… WORST lawyer ever. We have a constitution, itsays innocent until proven guilty.
    I love you Mike, you make football more intriguing. I have learned more about Pro Football in the last 8 months than I had in the previous 24 years of my life.
    But I don’t think you should defend anyone. I know, real life is seperate from court. But as an ethical matter, this is just wrong in my eyes for a lawyer to be so openly biased and perhaps even drive the bandwagon against defendants. Me thinks it’s time for you to start campaigning for the Prosecutor position. That, I could live with.
    I won’t fault you if you don’t post this, it’s your site and you have to protect it.

22. east96st says: Mar 10, 2009 12:05 AM

obscenery says:
    “I just can’t believe their are so many saints who post comments on PFT”
    Wow. How oblivious can you be? None of us are saints and we’re not claiming to be. Most of us have watched our home equity evaporate, our 401ks collapse, and we pray at night that our businesses and/or jobs are still there tomorrow since we all know hard working people who have lost their jobs and/or businesses because the economy is in the tank. Under those circumstances, most of us “sinners” could lay off the booze in exchange for getting a “get out of jail free card” for doing coke and the opportunity to make millions playing a game we fell in love with when we were kids. We’re not pissed that Jones is a “sinner”. Personally, I think the “war on drugs” is an absolute joke and a colossal waste of money. Legalize it, tax it, and use the tax revenues to treat the addicts. What we’re pissed about is that he’s throwing away a golden opportunity during a time where second chances are few and far between for the rest of us. It’s called appreciating what you’ve got. Obviously, Jones is a self destructive, narcissistic addict who won’t “get it” until well after it’s all been taken away.

23. Juicer says: Mar 10, 2009 12:40 AM

i want to drink on a golf course

24. Eddie Drycleaner says: Mar 10, 2009 1:15 AM

Cry me a river east96-whatever. I’m sorry, I live in a capitalist country. So you can argue all about you being a f-up like us all, but don’t give me a sob story that because most of are hurting financially people with money need to be more moral.
    Same for you closet commies. Stop talking about athletes or whomever making more money than us like they’re a-holes. You want to make more money, do something else.
    As a small business owner, I have/will feel this recession in a bad way. BUT worrying about what Kurt Warner or TO or Albert Haynesworth make will not help me out of it. Good for them, they were smart/lucky enough to be in an industry that is recession proof.
    Just remember we are not Commies.

25. *Legion* says: Mar 10, 2009 1:30 AM

It’s nice to see such a level-headed bunch at PFT in the middle of the night.
    I say “middle of the night” like that makes any difference around here.

26. DarthJay says: Mar 10, 2009 3:42 AM

27. FumbleNuts says: Mar 10, 2009 5:43 AM

This has Taco Bill written all over it!

28. Elmagister says: Mar 10, 2009 6:46 AM

obscenery says:
    What a load. Sure, he hasn’t hurt anybody yet, but if he can’t go the duration of his probation without a drink, it’s probably just a matter of time until he does hurt someone. Remember, he was in his car when busted for the cocaine too.
    Eddie Drycleaner says:
    I guess you missed the part of the story that said Jones opted for the jail stay? He tested positive for alcohol, which was in violation of his probation agreement, at which point he was guilty. That’s why he’s in jail now.
    obscenery says:
    “I just can’t believe their are so many saints who post comments on PFT”
    I’m guessing there aren’t too many people posting comments who are on probation for felony possession of cocaine…

29. Elmagister says: Mar 10, 2009 6:52 AM

DarthJay says:
    ==================================
    I live in Arkansas, but I’ve lived in other states too, and in all of them it was a felony to possess cocaine. What state do you live in that it’s not? He was lucky to get probation in the first place. Most people would at the very least keep their nose clean until their probationary period was complete. Despite not being able to do that, it looks as though Jones may still only get a week in jail…and you still feel sorry for him. What a joke.

30. Chanduski says: Mar 10, 2009 6:53 AM

“See… in the other news story I said that people didn’t need to jump to conclusions because a “controlled substance” could be Vicodin. This is, in fact, pretty ridiculous. A grown man can’t have a few beers on the golf course? Because what? He screwed up with something completely unrelated? Stupid hick laws…”
    Stupid hick laws? He was caught with nose candy, and agreed to keep his hand out of the cookie jar…and he couldn’t do it. Completely unrelated? It’s becoming clear he has an issue staying clean…if the guy was truly someone who made a mistake he’d agree to the terms of his diversion program.
    Like the one poster said before, no one has accountability in this country and we’re always making excuses for the F-ups. He’s an F-UP. If he has a problem, it’s life or death and he’s just playing with fire.
    But who cares? He sucks on the field anyways and the Jags should just cut their losses.

31. irj915 says: Mar 10, 2009 7:23 AM

Hey Dallas needs another receiver and Matt Jones is an Arkansas guy. If his agent is Rosenhaus he’ll be a Cowboy by May. I think pro sports should have a zero tolerance policy. Your warning is when you sign your first contract. Your first violation lands you a 1 year suspension and your second gets you promoted to fan. Sports and entertainment aren’t real life and higher pay should require higher standards be held. Would anyone really miss Chris Henry, Adam Jones, Matt Jones, or Larry Johnson?

32. DarthJay says: Mar 10, 2009 7:52 AM

The stupid hick law is banning alcohol as part of this “diversion.” What the man was doing was perfectly legal in accordance with state law and is in no way related to what he was arrested for.
    Was he also banned from renting movies at Blockbuster? Having steaks at the Sizzler? Shopping at the Gap? I mean seriously. If he got a DUI for being drunk, then maybe I get it. But he didn’t. So it makes no sense.
    This has nothing to do with Matt Jones. It has to do with the theory behind his “diversion” program. But the main point was that everyone was ready to crucify him in the other post and it turns out he had a couple beers. Whoopty doo.

33. Mike D says: Mar 10, 2009 7:54 AM

How stupid is Jones? Not so much because he was drinking (although that was clearly stupid), but because the judge actually had to inform him that six weeks in rehab would conflict with his offseason program. What a stooge.

34. empty13 says: Mar 10, 2009 9:00 AM

moonshine back on the moonshine…
    there goes jax pass offense for 09!

35. east96st says: Mar 10, 2009 9:20 AM

Eddie Drycleaner says:
    “Just remember we are not Commies.”
    Eddie, your posts are usually so moronic and sophomoric that I ignore them, but this is a beaut. What’s it like living back there in 1963, Ed? Got your bomb shelter all ready? Those sneaky reds are just waiting to get us!!! This was never an argument about capitalism vs. communism (I guess reading comprehension was never your strong point). It’s about personal responsibility and accountability to the law. Sorry you don’t get that. Why don’t you go out and buy some blow, speed down the highway, get pulled over and arrested for possession and then come back and let us know how that turned out for you. I’m guessing that PFT will still be here in seven to fifteen years from now. Maybe, while you’re in jail, you can take a beginning readers course that will start you on the path to comprehending simple subjects. Check your vents in your dry cleaning store. I think the fumes are killing off the few functional brain cells you have left. But, as you would say, better brain dead than red!!!

36. 7734077340 says: Mar 10, 2009 9:34 AM

I found his mugshot! Check it out . . . http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0306092mugs5.html

37. titans_fan says: Mar 10, 2009 10:05 AM

“The stupid hick law is banning alcohol as part of this “diversion.” What the man was doing was perfectly legal in accordance with state law and is in no way related to what he was arrested for”
    Whether we think it is related or not it was still part of the diversion program that he willingly agreed to.
    “Was he also banned from renting movies at Blockbuster? Having steaks at the Sizzler? Shopping at the Gap? I mean seriously.”
    If it was in the program THAT0HE AGREED TO that he couldn’t rent movies from Blockbuster and he did then he would be in violation.
    Why is this so hard for people to understand? He’s not doing time because of drinking a beer or two, he’s doing time for a felony cocaine charge that he more or less pleaded down to nothing in exchange for a few rules… rules that he couldn’t follow. They can put whatever rules they want in your probation or diversion program, its the defendant that benefits. Basically the judge said he could avoid being tried for a felony and the possibility of jail time if he followed a stricter set of rules for a few months… he couldn’t so now he’s in jail.

38. Vox Veritas says: Mar 10, 2009 10:32 AM

“What does alcohol, which I can walk into any store and purchase, have to do with cocaine? Or weed? Or LSD? Or shrooms? Or any other NARCOTIC that I can not walk into a store and purchase?”
    Nothing, but nobody’s talking about YOU. The discussion is about Matt Jones. As far as he’s concerned, all of the above are forbidden.
    “What the man was doing was perfectly legal in accordance with state law”
    Obviously not. The law as it applies to Matt Jones states that it’s illegal for him to consume alcohol. Doing so is a violation of his probation.

39. glomgold says: Mar 10, 2009 1:28 PM

Unless he got a DUI, this is a non-story. The guy had a few beers. Get off his case.

40. ZN0rseman says: Mar 10, 2009 1:30 PM

He got busted for drinking on the golf course.
    Hrm… what country was he in at the time, Iran?

41. glomgold says: Mar 10, 2009 1:31 PM

Eddie Drycleaner. The NFL is not recession proof. What cave do you run your small business from/live in?

42. obscenery says: Mar 10, 2009 7:33 PM

east96st had a really good point. These are tough times, and we all have to be smarter, even young, naive professional athletes. I hope when people slip up in these tough times, that we are compassionate towards them as well.
    Philosophically, i don’t agree with people being defined by their mistakes, especially when those mistakes don’t hurt anybody. Initially I thought it must have been that he can’t drink in public places, and the course was public. I couldn’t fathom somebody going to jail for a beer. That assumption was a mistake, I guess.
    I probably went the wrong way about it, but I’m really just trying to get people to look at the mistakes they got away with in the same light as the mistake Matt Jones didn’t get away with. He’s a 25 year old who had a beer, for crying out loud. My comments are directed to the people who insult him for that, and cry for punishment without leniency.
    I believe those people to be highly hypocritical. I believe that type of negativity benefits nobody.