RAY LEWIS' NEW CONTRACT IS A SEVEN-YEAR DEAL

Baltimore Ravens All-Pro middle linebacker Ray Lewis’ contract, which he officially signed Monday, is a seven-year, incentive-laden pact, according to NFL Players Association records.
It’s not a three-year, $22 million contract as originally reported.
Per Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, Lewis received $15.5 million in guaranteed money in an intricate structure that pays the two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year a total of $10 million during the 2009 season. According to the article, Lewis gets a $6.25 million signing bonus, a $2.75 million roster bonus and a $1 million base salary.
The Ravens have option-year decisions to make in 2010 and 2011. A 10-time Pro Bowl selection, Lewis has a $1.25 million option bonus in 2010 with a $4.25 million base salary.
His 2011 option bonus goes up to $2 million with a base salary raise of an additional $250,000 from his 2010 compensation level.
An NFLPA source told Cole: “The reason for doing it this way is to deal with the salary cap, assuming that there’s a cap again. It’s just a way of handling the proration on the signing bonus and the other money.”
Per NFLPA records we’ve seen, Lewis is due the following base salaries: $1 million in 2009, $4.25 million 2010, $4.5 million in 2011, $4.95 million in 2012, $5.4 million in 2013, $5.85 million in 2014 and $6.3 million in 2015.
Of course, it’s extremely unlikely that Lewis will be playing middle linebacker when he’s 40 years old. Lewis turns 34 in May.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “RAY LEWIS' NEW CONTRACT IS A SEVEN-YEAR DEAL”
  1. Staff Sergeant Bandazewski says: Mar 10, 2009 4:50 PM

since i have aspirations of law school in the future, im guessing maybe its the lawyer in you Florio, but aside from that, why the desire to always break down the contract language in an effort to post the base salaries of nfl players? I highly doubt any fan is playing fantasy GM and keeping a personal tally on their favorite teams cap. We all know they are making a lot of money, i think we get that. but until a player has a base salary of $48,775 like myself, i dont think its news.

2. serecovery says: Mar 10, 2009 4:50 PM

“What time is it?”…..”What time is it?”…..”Any crybabies in the house?”…..”Any purple jerseys in the house?”….. “It’s purple jersey, cry baby time.” “Its narcissistic, self indulgent, bloated, egotistical personality, purple jersey crybaby time.”

3. Steelers2Tampa says: Mar 10, 2009 5:13 PM

Sweet, the Steelers get to embarass Raging Ray for a few more years. Well, except Willie Parker. Ray owns him.

4. frox says: Mar 10, 2009 5:30 PM

So in other words, when Ozzie says Ray can end his career with the Ravens, that’s only if Ozzie decides it does not make more sense to save a million in cap room by cutting him before they pay him his option bonus and $4.5 million salary in 2010. I know Ray said he does not play less so he will not get paid less, but someone better tell him that he better play well or he will not get paid well.

5. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 10, 2009 5:40 PM

Serecovery…nice rant!!! That was a hoot!
    I think teams do this kind of thing in hopes that Roger Goodell will glaze over (like I just did) when reading it and approve it…..
    You have to figure, the Ravens had to incentivize this thing since the new humble Ray may not have the same team spirit as he did in his contract year last year…this way, every year is contract year!!

6. RonInCharlotte says: Mar 10, 2009 6:16 PM

StaffSeargeant,
    It may not be news to you, but many of us are interested in those things. Florio would not post them if NOBODY cared. Sometimes the NFLPA news is something I would skip over because I don’t care that much. If you don’t like it then stop reading at whatever point suits you. Some of us enjoy the numbers. Florio has taught many of us a lot about understanding contracts and what they REALLY mean. If someone said Lewis signed a seven year deal, we might be taken aback by it if we didn’t know it was really a two year deal worth about $15M or so. Some of us have a thing called intellectual curiosity that drives to understand things. It’s called intelligence. If you don’t care then stop reading after the first snen tence where it is clear the story is a contract breakdown.
    The fact that you would tike your time to post a comment about not wanting to read what you just read is just plain stoopid. But maybe that’s why you make less than $50K per year.

7. 7734077340 says: Mar 10, 2009 7:57 PM

@ Staff Sergeant Bandazewski:
    Wow, Dude, TMI . . .

8. saintsfan504 says: Mar 10, 2009 7:59 PM

If there were ever a brand new deal I’d bet 10,000:1 odds woud not be finished out, this is it.

9. Staff Sergeant Bandazewski says: Mar 10, 2009 8:05 PM

RonInCharlotte,
    That was a well written, thought out response on behalf of Mike Florio. Just one minor inconsistency with your flawed logic though and that would be you incorrectly identifying my post as about something I didnt want to read in the first place. You see, I posed a question to the poster, which in this case was not you. You however felt the need to speak when not spoken to and in a grossly predictable way allude to the fact (maybe, if so, good for you) that you make more than me. You see, the difference obviously between you and I is that I am as the title states a Staff Sergeant in the Army and along with my additional pay for serving currently in the capacity of a Drill Sergeant, my salary as mandated by the Department of Defense is $48,775. Congratulations to you for I guess making more money than me. I managed to graduate from college while still serving and as my original posts states will ultimately head to law school just as soon as I have completed the terms of my contract(hey, contract talk!) and keeping people like you safe behind your computer screens typing away every night. You’re welcome, Ron.

10. ppdoc says: Mar 10, 2009 8:25 PM

Only shows you that Oz was in the drivers seat the whole way. Serecovery – I’m not sure what you’re smoking, but I bet it isn’t legal. Ravenmaniac may have thought it was funny, but I thought it was moronic.

11. heybeerman95 says: Mar 10, 2009 9:32 PM

I think Ozzy was smoking something.

12. yoyo says: Mar 10, 2009 9:38 PM

If I were Rayray, I would allegedly stab my agent.

13. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 10, 2009 10:07 PM

@ Staff Sergeant Bandazewski….
    Well said!!! I wish you the best of luck in your future!!
    And by the way…THANK YOU for serving our country!!!
    ppdoc..I did think it was funny. I for one am one AVID RAVENS FAN and season ticket holder that will take some winning over with Ray! I have always been a huge Ray Lewis fan and defender…but when I heard what he said on the interview with NFLN and what he said about the Cowboys…I WAS PISSED and felt somewhat betrayed as a fan. You can call it a business move but that would be BS!! If his heart was really in Bmore none of that would have been an issue. Now he comes back to the Ravens a humble man. He is the one that preaches team!! Lets see if he can live up to what he preaches!!!!

14. Staff Sergeant Bandazewski says: Mar 11, 2009 7:58 AM

Ravenmaniac,
    it’s an honor sir, thank you

15. refuse2fail says: Mar 11, 2009 9:30 AM

Wow… who else sees this contract as being the dagger that cuts Lewis free after just a couple years.
    They’re not going to pay him that kind of money in the final 3 to 4 years of this contract; no way.