Troubled former Denver Broncos running back Travis Henry owes $170,000 annually in child support for his nine children and is unemployed as he remains under house arrest due to a pending cocaine trafficking charge, according to the New York Times.
The 30-year-old former NFL star’s children are ages 3 to 11, and all of them have separate mothers. Henry says he can’t afford to keep up with the child support payments.
“They’ve got my blood; I’ve got to deal with it,” Henry told the Times.  “I love all my kids.  I’ve lost everything in this mess I’ve gotten myself into.”
Henry said he didn’t plan the children with one exception, and was informed by some of the mothers that they were on birth control only to learn that they weren’t.
“I did use protection at first,” Henry said.  “Then they’d be saying they’d be on the pill.  I was an idiot to trust them.  Second or third time with them, I didn’t use it.  Then, boom!
“My counselor asks me, ‘How can you do the same thing over and over?’  Knock on wood, or something, I’m blessed not to have AIDS.  That never crossed my mind.”
Henry declined to discuss the drug case, which is set for an arraignment next month.
UPDATE: According to ESPN’s Outside the Lines’ program, Henry recently became the father of twin girls, upping his total to 11 children with 10 different women.  [Editor’s note:  On the bright side, he can now expand his baseball team to a football team.]

Permalink 79 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
  1. LSCII says: Mar 12, 2009 11:46 AM

Stupid is as stupid does. How many kids does he need before he starts wearing protection and not taking some random woman’s word for it? He has to be the poster child for stupidity at this point. Well done sir, well done.

2. tiktokdok says: Mar 12, 2009 11:51 AM

My heart pumps purple piss for you, you scumbag.

3. topcide says: Mar 12, 2009 11:51 AM

monogomy anyone?

4. 7734077340 says: Mar 12, 2009 11:52 AM

At least he’s got family(s).

5. mitchrapp says: Mar 12, 2009 11:55 AM

What a joke. Quit whipping it out and get a life Henry.

6. cmich06 says: Mar 12, 2009 11:56 AM

When will some of these athletes learn…there are a multitude of gold diggers looking to get knocked up by a pro athlete and the TAX free money that comes with it

7. BigSarge87 says: Mar 12, 2009 11:57 AM

Funniest thing I’ll read all week. Sounds like a skit from SNL!!

8. jimicos says: Mar 12, 2009 11:58 AM

Oh, Travis Henry. I thought this was going to be about Chris Henry.

9. shuxion says: Mar 12, 2009 11:58 AM

Pull out.

10. CrazyAnime says: Mar 12, 2009 12:02 PM

You made your bed, now lay in it.
    Maybe unmade is a better word.

11. thelinc says: Mar 12, 2009 12:04 PM

Oh Hendry….
    “That was all the money, Karen!”

12. Shaun Lowrie says: Mar 12, 2009 12:05 PM

Never has the term ‘Knock on wood’ been more appropriately used.

13. CrazyAnime says: Mar 12, 2009 12:05 PM

All kidding aside but does anyone else think that basing child support purely on a percentage of a person’s income is silly? Does it really cost that much per year to raise children? As a father who provides very well for his child and knows first hand how much it costs, I doubt it.

14. Jerkstore says: Mar 12, 2009 12:09 PM

I Dont blame him for learning his lesson after the first 8 kids with 8 different mothers, but 9 …. that is ridiculous….what an idiot

15. Old School says: Mar 12, 2009 12:10 PM

He should marry the Octomom. She seems to have sources for lots of cash.

16. db3300 says: Mar 12, 2009 12:12 PM

Henry was stupid and now gets to pay for it.
    Reminds me of the 1993 Eastwood film “A Perfect World” where the 7 year old kid gets shot after going on a crime spree with Costner and getting in a shootout with the police. As the kid lay dying, Eastwood says “Take your medicine, boy.”

17. lions2011champs says: Mar 12, 2009 12:15 PM

WOW is all you can say about that

18. phinfan13 says: Mar 12, 2009 12:17 PM

Wow what an idiot, people like you should be castrated for having all those kids with a different woman like that. And now your out of the NFL, how are you going to pay all that child support lol.

19. Mistress Rachael says: Mar 12, 2009 12:21 PM

Some mens’ pr_cks…This is so funny!!! He speaks like he’s a victim here.
    Am almost certain 2 of those women were impregnated on the same day.
    Spread the seed Travis.

20. Good Newz Kennels says: Mar 12, 2009 12:25 PM

I’ve got a feeling that eventually Henry is going to wind up on a reality show with the Octo-Mom.

21. Jesman says: Mar 12, 2009 12:28 PM

All you hear from this guy is I, I, I. Maybe he should show some remorse for the kids. Self centered A-hole.

22. Nelson says: Mar 12, 2009 12:28 PM

He was just trying to break Shawn Kemp’s record for most bastard children. Since when is that against the law?

23. Umdayo says: Mar 12, 2009 12:29 PM

O.K. so he finally admits he screwed up (in more ways than one!)
    Looks like he will just have to learn to live with it….er -no wait, he’s better off without it!

24. jeff303 says: Mar 12, 2009 12:40 PM

Did Travis go to Harvard or Yale? I can’t remember.

25. givensr2 says: Mar 12, 2009 12:42 PM

Cry me a river. He should be fixed – I say fixed because he’s mating habits are closer to a wild dog than a human being. It took him 8 years and nine children to realize how babies are made.
    And how does he have a counselor? No to make light of the need for mental health, but shouldn’t he be spending money to feed his 9 children? Instead he’s paying a lawyer to defend him from his drug charges. And if he saves him from jail, he still won’t be able to find a job – no team in the NFL will touch him.

26. Borf says: Mar 12, 2009 12:42 PM

What a retard

27. coachbald says: Mar 12, 2009 12:46 PM

“knock on WOOD”?
    (insert joke here)

28. givensr2 says: Mar 12, 2009 12:46 PM

Nevermind – as pointed out in Florio’s update, apparently he still hasn’t learned.
    How scary is the idea of he and octocrazymom living together?

29. TheDPR says: Mar 12, 2009 12:52 PM

How can one screw up his life so badly by age 30?
    Owes $170K a year in child support? I don’t think I made $170K total in my lifetime by age 30.
    What a mess.

30. BK5931 says: Mar 12, 2009 12:53 PM

This guy is worse than the octo-mom. Maybe they should have some kids together and round out an entire 25 plus kids. What is wrong with this idiot. I don’t buy the whole “they told me they were on the pill” shit, how stupid can you be! And then to do it at least 8 or 9 more times! Just send him to jail with the other deadbeat dads.

31. mkuske says: Mar 12, 2009 12:58 PM

Here’s a scary thought…Travis Henry meets Octomom.

32. fumble1 says: Mar 12, 2009 12:59 PM

He always said he wanted his own football team…good job…

33. QQQ says: Mar 12, 2009 1:01 PM

Good god was did this man ever receive a sex education

34. jmikeh says: Mar 12, 2009 1:02 PM

Damnit Florio…my heart skipped a beat when I saw the headline. I was thinking “Chris.”
    Can you please use a first initial with “Henry” from now on? Thanks…

35. trailerdawg says: Mar 12, 2009 1:02 PM

How does the saying go? “Fool me once shame on you, Fool me 11 times and I’m a damn idiot”

36. Favre2012 says: Mar 12, 2009 1:03 PM

“Knock on wood, or something.”
    That’s hilarious.

37. 26Hawk says: Mar 12, 2009 1:06 PM

Man, Travis.
    Slow down, willya?
    The true tragedy is all those kids, whose father will be locked up for so long. You got your DNA well dispersed, Travis. Take a long break from fatherhood. It doesn’t seem to suit you.

38. Stoogie says: Mar 12, 2009 1:07 PM

Travis Henry’s counselor needs to introduce him to a medical procedure called “vasectomy”.

39. QQQ says: Mar 12, 2009 1:08 PM

This guy could be a great spokesman for Trojan Condoms
    “Hi! I’m Travis Henry and the best prophylactic is a Trojan prophylactic. Trojan Condoms use em or you’ll end up like me”

40. truwarier says: Mar 12, 2009 1:08 PM

damn, I thought I was having a bad day and I read something
    like this. Hopefully this guy can clear up his problems
    and move on with his life.

41. vcbhome says: Mar 12, 2009 1:09 PM

Wow, he’s screwed….actually he did a lot of screwing.
    Boy, 11 kids, I guess his boys can swim.
    Does anyone have his phone #?
    Nadya Suleman

42. TheChu says: Mar 12, 2009 1:09 PM

If he could burst through the hole as consistently in football as in his social life, he might still be employed…

43. drhanniballector says: Mar 12, 2009 1:10 PM

That’s ok Travis, society will pay for all 9 of your kids. After all, your problems are in fact my responsibility. No problem, don’t worry about a thing. Cha-ching say the mothers.

44. Eagles233 says: Mar 12, 2009 1:20 PM

They should cut off his apple bag.

45. florio4prez says: Mar 12, 2009 1:20 PM

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.
    Fool me TEN TIMES, ??????????
    Seriously, I could not stop laughing while reading this one. So I read it again and laughed some more. This story really helps me feel better about all of the dumb mistakes I’ve made in my life.
    I know some of these guys are stoopid but Travis buddy, WTF man?
    Oh, BTW, you ain’t lost EVERYTHING buddy, you still got some pretty good swimmers.
    Now get out there and get started on that defensive unit.
    Oh, yeah, forgot about that whole house arrest thing. On second thought, bring some honnies home and get started on that defensive unit.

46. DCIrish says: Mar 12, 2009 1:21 PM

47. C-StudentGeardotcom says: Mar 12, 2009 1:22 PM

Its hard to believe anyone could be this stupid. Travis, did you really believe all those women were sleeping with you because you’re attractive or smart?
    NO you idiot. Those trifling golddiggers wanted a life where they could sit on their asses and collect child support off of an NFL player. And you were stupid enough to fall for the same trick 10 times.
    And what kind of women do you associate with? These tricks knew you had kids with 7, 8, 9+ other women and still decided to get knocked up by you? You and your baby-mamas are pathetic.
    And now you’re going to prison so the taxpayers have to support your kids. Thanks Trav.

48. Mike D says: Mar 12, 2009 1:24 PM

Fool me once…….shame on you….
    Fool me twice…….shame on…..
    Fool me won’t get fooled 11 times…..

49. SteelersFanatic87 says: Mar 12, 2009 1:26 PM

Take it from a woman, never trust one that says she’s on the pill, especially if you’re an professional athlete. Sad but true. But he’s was stupid enough to go around and have unprotected sex so shame on him.

50. Fruitland Generics says: Mar 12, 2009 1:32 PM

OK, the first 1 or 2 times, I could see Henry falling for “Of course I’m on the pill!”. But 10 times for 11 kids? That’s a special kind of stupid.

51. Eagles233 says: Mar 12, 2009 1:37 PM

off with his apple bag…

52. Anrkist says: Mar 12, 2009 1:39 PM

He needs a sitcom called “Oh, Henry…”

53. Tex Big Balls says: Mar 12, 2009 1:43 PM

Evander Holyfield shakes his in disgust.

54. joe.attaboy says: Mar 12, 2009 1:44 PM

If this guy isn’t a poster boy for what happens when you abandon personal responsibility for your actions, I don’t know who is. I can almost understand two or even three kids, but eleven? Did these women text one another with the news that Henry likes it bareback, and that they could cash in on his inability to keep it zipped?
    Then there’s drug thing…

55. moonbeam says: Mar 12, 2009 1:46 PM

i guess this all falls on a society that failed him,yea,that’s it,a society that failed him,yea.

56. SpartaChris says: Mar 12, 2009 1:53 PM

Gee, ya think?

57. warpstone says: Mar 12, 2009 1:55 PM

“Boom!” indeed. I guess even fool me twice isn’t enlightening enough for some people.

58. drian says: Mar 12, 2009 2:02 PM

“Then, boom!”
    That’s what happens to me too.

59. GFH says: Mar 12, 2009 2:03 PM

I think we’ll find out that Travis Henry is the unnamed father of Natalie Suleman’s kids.

60. alimg52 says: Mar 12, 2009 2:09 PM

I wish that this situation serves as a reminder to all men when it comes to safe and responsible sexual behavior. Henry could have had a nice career. He was on that path in Buffalo. In a 2-year span he ran for about 2700 yards and 27 TDs. The more children were born that he fathered, the more likely he was going to find himself in a situation like this. Add to it the drug issues and you see a career that fizzles.

61. alimg52 says: Mar 12, 2009 2:26 PM

This needs to serve as a reminder to other pro athletes. His irresponsible sexual behavior and drug issues have pushed a once promising player out of the league. Fellas, use protection at all times unless you are trying to make a baby.

62. kolbe213 says: Mar 12, 2009 2:26 PM

Boo hoo.
    You make your own bed.

63. theVIC says: Mar 12, 2009 2:28 PM

This guy must be mentally retarded. I’m serious.

64. Slow Joe says: Mar 12, 2009 2:44 PM

MORE children? This guy has more offspring than IQ points!

65. rageagainst7 says: Mar 12, 2009 2:58 PM

what a pimp.

66. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 12, 2009 3:04 PM

So who’s the bigger knucklehead – Travis Henry or Octo-Mom?

67. empty13 says: Mar 12, 2009 3:05 PM

how would he know he doesnt have diseases?

68. VinsonK8 says: Mar 12, 2009 3:11 PM

What a tool. Bad decisions have plagued his career. I feel sorry for all the kids.

69. joetoronto says: Mar 12, 2009 3:26 PM

“My counselor asks me, ‘How can you do the same thing over and over?’
    Cause your one dumbass motherf–ker, right up there with the likes of Mike Vick and Pacman Jones.

70. lilraider says: Mar 12, 2009 3:28 PM

If five years from now you hear that Henry impregnated a giraffe, would you really be shocked?

71. BuckFutter says: Mar 12, 2009 4:00 PM

There should be a law that if you impregnate more than 2 or 3 women, you have your genitals set on fire.

72. jimicos says: Mar 12, 2009 5:00 PM

Umdayo says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 12:29 pm
    O.K. so he finally admits he screwed up (in more ways than one!)
    Up, down, left, right, upside-down, you name it he did it.

73. jimicos says: Mar 12, 2009 5:04 PM

lilraider says:
    March 12th, 2009 at 3:28 pm
    He’s too short for that. Now, if it were some kind of pygmy giraffe.. Then I could see that happening.

74. BuckFutter says: Mar 12, 2009 5:55 PM

Holy crap….did anyone know Henry scored a 7 on the Wonderlic?

75. Boltschick says: Mar 12, 2009 7:10 PM

Guys, if you don’t want to wear condoms, you can always use the withdrawal method.
    You should never rely on a woman’s word that she’s using birth control, unless it doesn’t matter to you if she gets pregnant. A woman’s drive to have children (particularly with a rich father) can be very strong and push her toward deception. I’ve known married women who have tricked their husbands into having kids they didn’t want.

76. voyager6 says: Mar 12, 2009 7:37 PM

A couple of snips would have sure cost a lot less than $170K/year. I’m sure he is saving it for that ‘special woman’ that he really wants to have a child with.
    In Jail, he is likely to be used as a woman. He’ll get his there.

77. heybeerman95 says: Mar 12, 2009 9:20 PM

Brain freakin dead!!!!!!!!! One, two ok MAYBE three times. But 11 freakin kids to 10 different women? How does this moron have the brain power to brush his teeth in the morning? This guy was smart enough to playfoot ball?

78. FumbleNuts says: Mar 12, 2009 9:43 PM

Octo-Mom and Henry should hook up and go for a world record!

79. R8RBOB says: Mar 12, 2009 11:22 PM

Someone needs to come up with a reality show with all of Henry’s 10 baby mamas and 11 childs. The cameras can follow the women around bitchin’ about not getting their money and telling stories on how they got him to shoot up in them and lying to him that they were on the pill. No wonder he turned to selling dope. 10 females hounding you for money. Whoa…