REPORT: CUTLER WANTS OUT OF DENVER, ASKS TO BE TRADED

Breaking his public silence, disgruntled Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler told Chris Mortensen of ESPN.com that he doesn’t trust coach Josh McDaniels and wants to be traded.
Cutler and McDaniels had vastly differing views about their Saturday meeting intended to deal with the fallout of the Broncos engaging in trade discussions about quarterback Matt Cassel.
“I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco,” Cutler told ESPN.com.  “We weren’t in there but about 20 minutes, [McDaniels] did most of the talking and as far as I’m concerned, he made it clear he wants his own guy.
“He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback.  He said he wasn’t sorry about it.  He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he’ll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization.”
From his standpoint, Cutler said he felt like it’s clear he’s unwanted by Broncos management.
“At the end of the meeting, he wasn’t like, ‘Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you’re our guy,'” Cutler said.  “It felt like the opposite.  He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can’t work this out, to let him know.  I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco.
“Really, I figured we’d hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward.  What happened was the last thing I expected.  If I didn’t think it could be fixed, I never would have come back to Denver.  It was painfully obvious to me and [Cutler’s agent, Bus Cook] it’s not something they want to fix.”
Cutler also said that he felt like he could no longer trust McDaniels since, at first, the coach told him that he didn’t try to trade for Cassel, who was ultimately traded from the New England Patriots to the Kansas City Chiefs, only to later acknowledge that actually was the case.
The Broncos have since told Cook, who also represents retired quarterback Brett Favre, that they don’t intend to trade Cutler.
“Before this trade for Cassel thing ever came up, in the two weeks or so I had spent with McDaniels, he was basically telling me that he came to Denver because he wanted to coach me and that we needed to trust each other,” Cutler said.  “He’s never been critical to me.  But trust now? How can I trust him now?”
Responding to Cutler’s remarks, McDaniels told ESPN.com that he had wanted to avoid this kind of back-and-forth through the media.
“I really have wanted to avoid a he-said, she-said thing but it’s only fair for us to present the Bronco side of the story rather than let things get taken out of context,” McDaniels said.
McDaniels claimed that Cutler hasn’t been responsive to his calls or Broncos team owner Pat Bowlen.
“Again, I think that’s been a pattern,” McDaniels said.  “When he came here this weekend, we couldn’t get a one-on-one meeting, just me and him alone.
“There wasn’t any yelling, none of that.  I can’t believe we get to a totally different [interpretation].  It’s an unfortunate set of circumstances that has cropped up, a potential distraction and we’ve done our best to limit that.”
For his part, Cutler’s agent said he’s shocked that things have gone so badly.
“I thought it was going to get worked out,” Cook said.  “But it was very clear to me that Jay Cutler is not their choice to be quarterback of that team.”
About the only thing McDaniels and Cutler seem to agree on is that McDaniels hasn’t knocked Cutler’s performance from last season.
Cutler reiterated that he won’t attend Monday’s workouts, but will show up for mandatory minicamps as well as training camp.  Of course, that’s assuming that Cutler is still on the roster.
Plus, the quarterback emphasized that recently putting his house up for sale isn’t a reaction to this controversy.

Permalink 98 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
98 Responses to “REPORT: CUTLER WANTS OUT OF DENVER, ASKS TO BE TRADED”
  1. mofo7 says: Mar 16, 2009 1:37 AM

Hello, Detroit Lions.

2. greggyd717 says: Mar 16, 2009 1:38 AM

I was giving Cutler the benefit of the doubt with this whole thing and sticking up for him when all of the people came out criticizing him for whining about this whole thing, but that stops now. There is no need to air your gripes with the national media to the extent that he did. He is making a spectacle and shining the spotlight on himself to paint the image of the poor guy who’s being treated unfairly. I’d want to trade him too at this point for being such a b*tch about this whole thing.
    Detroit will gladly take him and then Denver can move on with this whole thing because it’s more of a media/PR headache than anything at this point. The he-said, he-said crap is annoying. Just trade him and get it done with.

3. NDCowboysfan says: Mar 16, 2009 1:39 AM

This is better than the favre will he or wont he retire saga from last spring….

4. truwarier says: Mar 16, 2009 1:39 AM

this kid is such a whiner i wanna puke, if he was a black
    qb the media would be all over him for being a sore loser.
    Last time I checked Jay Cry-ler has never won a playoff
    game, has never made the playoffs, and choked in the last
    half of the season in order to secure a playoff spot, he
    is just another flash-in-the-pan QB like Todd Marinovich,
    Tony Romo, Rob Johnson, Jim Drunkenmiller.

5. ekidd07 says: Mar 16, 2009 1:40 AM

As a Broncos fan. I’m devastated.
    Somebody hit the “panic” button.

6. go_bucs says: Mar 16, 2009 1:40 AM

yes! the bucs have to bring him here…. whatever it takes get him in that red and pewter.

7. Fart Face Killah says: Mar 16, 2009 1:40 AM

8. bigtganks says: Mar 16, 2009 1:40 AM

Why is Cutler even shocked at all…?

9. ekidd07 says: Mar 16, 2009 1:43 AM

But where does he actually say “I want to be traded?”
    I don’t see it.

10. Chiggs says: Mar 16, 2009 1:49 AM

Good riddance, Cutler. You’re not a leader; you’re a whining, crying baby.

11. cameron says: Mar 16, 2009 1:49 AM

what a baby,
    grow up Cuddless

12. podeveryday says: Mar 16, 2009 1:52 AM

What a bitch! Im sure he’ll go the JETS and get beat up by the pats for a few years.

13. subzero2401 says: Mar 16, 2009 1:52 AM

14. spankythebowler says: Mar 16, 2009 1:55 AM

Many thanks on burning the midnight oil gentlemen, any thoughts on a plausible trade for Cutler?

15. ocasas6 says: Mar 16, 2009 1:55 AM

Cutler for Hasselbeck! a NW uprising that is picking up legs… fills a great need for Denver – yeah, the Hawks will be OK… I’m the brother of someone in the front office – only leaking cause this is a front office conversation and a “legit consideration” per Ruskell and in my opinion a great move – p.s. the Broncos are lovin’ it… they realyy want to give Cutler a “goodbye”

16. juggadore says: Mar 16, 2009 2:04 AM

i think we found the next T.O.

17. mrf47 says: Mar 16, 2009 2:09 AM

I’m amazed this news got out; I figured the conversation would have gone something like this:
    Cutler: “I want to be traded.”
    McDaniels: “Ok, I hope you’re happy in Detroit.”
    Cutler: (.0001 seconds later) “I’ve decided that I’m happy in Denver and confident that I can work with this organization, and will do whatever is best for the team.”

18. alex825 says: Mar 16, 2009 2:12 AM

haha, trade him to the lions. as a raider fan im loving this, jay cutler is overrated, ever since you guys benched jake plummer it all went downhill from there. good luck with chris simms this year.

19. steveadler76 says: Mar 16, 2009 2:15 AM

This is great! Looks like the Broncos can start from scratch.
    Go Bolts!

20. Clayton Bigsby says: Mar 16, 2009 2:16 AM

“We don’t want to trade Jay. We never did. He’s our quarterback. We’re excited about this season.” – McDaniels 3-01-09
    “We were contacted multiple times about different scenarios,” McDaniels said. “Some of the scenarios we discussed, and we did take part in those conversations.” – McDaniels 3-16-09

21. gambinoutah says: Mar 16, 2009 2:19 AM

If I’m Chicago and the dumb asses that we call our front office I would be offering the broncos whatever it takes to get cutler in Chicago. Cutler has already gone record stating he wants to be in Chicago but as we all know our front office and angelo they will just say they are not interested in cutler and think orton is the second coming of Montana. If the bears don’t make a push for cutler now it will only further everything about where this team is and and how much they want to win which isn’t high on there list..which they have proved to us time and time again.

22. Dan Dizzle says: Mar 16, 2009 2:19 AM

Even if Josh felt this way, why would you tell Cutler? You didn’t get Cassel so just shut it and go with the promising Cutler, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

23. Idle Hands says: Mar 16, 2009 2:21 AM

Come on Minnesota……….. make the trade!!!

24. CompanyCalls says: Mar 16, 2009 2:22 AM

This is just incredibly entertaining.

25. FillyFinatic says: Mar 16, 2009 2:24 AM

Fire McDaniels and it might recoup your loses

26. Patscantcheatkharmabitches says: Mar 16, 2009 2:24 AM

No offense Mr. Montana, Tanks for the great years, but we feel we need to go in a different direction for the sake of the team. Thanks for the 4 Supebowls. Good luck in KC. Oh wait, we are talking about Jay Cutler. All those wonderful years = 0 and that’s how much leeway you’ve built up. How bout coming in hear and proving something to your new coach. You are not Aikman or Favre or Young who did not have to prove to their New coaches they were winners when their previous coach was fired. So, go practice, build a rapport with your new coach, and if you are as good as you tell everyone you are, then he will love you 10X’s more than he loves cassel. Or you can continue to act like a baby and think you’ve performed so wonderfully that there is no question you are the starter. But believe us, your performances have been hit and miss. That said, your COACH, should do what is best for HIS team.

27. williamsbros says: Mar 16, 2009 2:25 AM

Well, assuming Florio reads these, I hope you can take back the comments about Cutler being a cry baby. Who in the hell wouldn’t be pissed to have a new, green as grass coach come in and treat the QB ths way. I hope he gets traded and I see a couple down years for the Broncos coming up.

28. chip says: Mar 16, 2009 2:25 AM

why not bring back Jake?
    trade Cutler to Tampa Bay for Griese/Plummer
    & a second round pick ?
    there would be a certain Zen quality to it anyway

29. J_Cut says: Mar 16, 2009 2:27 AM

Is it too late to bring back Shanahan?

30. meo04d says: Mar 16, 2009 2:34 AM

With me being a KC fan I should be enjoying this. But this whole situation is painful to watch unfold. It’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Ugh…….

31. Mr.Rodgers Neighborhood says: Mar 16, 2009 2:36 AM

uh-oh nfc north…

32. Elaw6 says: Mar 16, 2009 2:41 AM

Just like the Portis-for-Bailey trade in ’04
    Jay Cutler
    Vince Young

33. Jmoney7 says: Mar 16, 2009 2:46 AM

I feel bad for McDaniels getting stuck with such a wuss as his QB.. Matt Cassel is 3X the man Little Jay Cutler will ever be… Obviously he has alot of rebuilding to do in Denver and that could include the QB position.. Denver should consider trading for NE’s Gutierrez or O’Connel…

34. r5156c says: Mar 16, 2009 2:48 AM

Based on what I’ve read (Mostly from this site) it seems that Mcdaniels is an egotistical pr**k. The Bears should make a play and getting Cutler, after all one teams trash us another teams gold.

35. barry0181 says: Mar 16, 2009 2:52 AM

Come to Tampa baby! I will personally pay for your plane ticket out here! Please Tampa, bring this guy on! Its your best shot and we will actually have a franchise QB! Cutler to Bryant next year!

36. descendency says: Mar 16, 2009 2:58 AM

“I really have wanted to avoid a he-said, SHE-said thing but it’s only fair for us to present the Bronco side of the story rather than let things get taken out of context,” McDaniels said.
    That about sums this up.

37. Common Sense says: Mar 16, 2009 3:01 AM

Great start for McDaniels, running off the franchise quarterback. But both Cutler and McD seem to be behaving in self-defeating ways, like marriage partners who interact in ways that perpetuate their misery.
    Seriously, they should get a mediator to help them work this out. There is still potential for both to learn and grow from this difficulty. Right now, though, they are trashing the franchise.

38. powerte says: Mar 16, 2009 3:20 AM

Backdoor dealings tend to end nasty.

39. dldavidlong says: Mar 16, 2009 3:21 AM

maybe the broncos might draft a qb with the first pick.

40. DanSnydersPetCeratto says: Mar 16, 2009 3:35 AM

I declare this the Curse of John Elway. This is bad karma from John Elway stiffing the Baltimore Colts and forcing his way into Denver. Since Elway, they haven’t had an effective quarterback until Cutler and now he’s pulling an Elway on them.

41. Chargers-Superhero says: Mar 16, 2009 3:38 AM

GO CHARGERS !!!!
    Denver sucks !!!

42. reo says: Mar 16, 2009 3:59 AM

I’d trade Kerry Collins and a 1st rounder for him. I’d toss in Vince too but if they had to take him off our hands it would probably raise the Broncos price. Maybe toss LenDale in there though.

43. jeff303 says: Mar 16, 2009 4:04 AM

As a life-long Chiefs fan now living in Denver, all I can say is that this just keeps getting better and better!!
    They never should have fired Shanahan in the first place, but they did, and they replaced him with a MORON! Thanks Josh, the whole Chiefs’ nation would love to buy you a drink or ten right now – but by all appearances you’re shit-faced already!!

44. The Last Emperor says: Mar 16, 2009 4:16 AM

Sounds very similar to last year with good old Bert Farve. Wonder if James ” Buzzard ” Cook might be behind this & pumping Jay’s head up with all the underappreciated blah blah crap. I wonder if Jay is an only child…

45. The Last Emperor says: Mar 16, 2009 4:23 AM

Buzzard Cook is NO DOUBT pumping his head up & surely making it a whole lot worse then it had/has to be. Similar to last year with the whole Bert Farve saga isn’t it?

46. 4theloveofthegame says: Mar 16, 2009 4:44 AM

some team is about to get very lucky…Arizona would be crazy not to wave a pick and Lienart out there… Denver might jump all over that.

47. raiders117 says: Mar 16, 2009 4:58 AM

Boom! Roasted

48. DanSnyder says: Mar 16, 2009 5:13 AM

Problem now is if he is to be traded who has enough value. Broncos would need a QB more then anything and all the teams interested in him need one too. I highly doubt 1st and 3rd or even 2nd would be enough unless they really feel like they want to go in another direction. Truth is even though i’m not much of a cutler fan a 1st and a 3rd is worth it considering hes at worst a solid qb. Spending those picks on a QB in the draft would be really risky. McDaniels is really burning bridges and he needs to do something. Maybe trade Cutler to the Jets for vernon gholston, their first rounder and one of their backup qbs. A proven QB at an above average level for a unproven LB, backup QB, and a 1st rounder is fair. Doubt Rex Ryan would want to give up gholston this early though, probably thinks he can toughen him up.

49. AlwaysSonny says: Mar 16, 2009 5:20 AM

McDaniels is way over his head. You can say Jay is a cry baby, but if you try to trade any star QB in this league, especially as a new coach, you’re asking for trouble. Who wants to play for an unproven 32 yr old coach who can’t keep his mouth shut or his trade attempts secret? As a Bronco fan, I don’t blame Cutler at all. Bowlen doesn’t sound happy about it either. i

50. Old School says: Mar 16, 2009 5:51 AM

Cutler needs to get out there and start chucking int’s if he really wants to be the next Bret Favre.

51. OrangeCrush_77 says: Mar 16, 2009 5:56 AM

I’m a Bronco fan, and a Cutler fan. Here, in Denver, it seems like the fans are split 70/30 in Cutler’s favor. As much as I want to see Cutler stay, I have to say that it feels like he and his agent are doing everything they can to get a new deal (either here, or somewhere else).
    Even if McDaniels entertained trading Cutler for Cassel, there is no excuse for the way that Cutler has handled this. He has used the media to fight this thing out, which has hurt his team. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with saying that “anyone on the team is subject to trade, it it helps the team.” That is true of every player on every team – and that’s a fact. What is also fact, is that the Broncos have made no effort to trade Cutler since Cassel went to KC. Cutler, and the douchebag (Bus Cook) are trying to turn that into a new deal, but Cutler has three years left on his rookie contract (which paid him as the 12th player taken in that draft).
    He needs to keep his head down, play football, be a team player and then he will be taken care of. Talking through sources, twenty minutes after phone calls with the team, constantly whining in the press, not returning the owner’s phone calls and repeatedly stoking the fire by claiming you are not wanted (when you are) is just petulant behavior by a QB who has an agent with a history of ruining teams and careers.

52. Tim says: Mar 16, 2009 6:03 AM

I know its a typical phrase, but could there be a verbal shot at Cutler in the “he-said, she-said” thing. Could McDaniels be calling Cutler a “she”?
    I’ve used that term before and used he-said, he-said if it was two guys.

53. BuckFutter says: Mar 16, 2009 6:06 AM

This whole situation is weird….but there has always been something about Cutler that seemed off. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out.

54. Kotite says: Mar 16, 2009 6:08 AM

“Bwahahahahahahaha!” ~ Mike Shanahan

55. ClevelandSucks says: Mar 16, 2009 6:35 AM

what a pussy

56. 24bucs says: Mar 16, 2009 6:35 AM

I am sure that the Tampa Bay Bucs would welcome Jay with open arms….and CASH. I think that would be an instant upgrade and that the Bucs should trade for him now.

57. George C says: Mar 16, 2009 6:41 AM

The drama…….
    God, does every QB need their asses kissed?
    Thank GOD for Trent Edwards here in Buffalo.
    Jay…How about proving yourself as a grown up first, then try proving yourself as a QB in camp. Maybe then McDaniels will grow respect for you.

58. "Hate" says: Mar 16, 2009 6:42 AM

Jay-C, its nice and warm here in Tampa and the golf and fishing is great!!

59. blackoutzone says: Mar 16, 2009 6:48 AM

Im out of work ill take the job Rex Grossman

60. adammwilson says: Mar 16, 2009 7:01 AM

it make sense Mcdaniels is a jerk he went behind cutler’s back loyalty is very important in the nfl
    Lions get Jay cutler and Tony scheffler
    broncos get the 20th pick n a later pick

61. alewatcher says: Mar 16, 2009 7:21 AM

Cutler = Whiny Douchebag
    Note to Cutler: Dude, this is the NFL, not cheerleading. You’re supposed to be a leader of men, not a little girl. Grow up and grow a set of balls.

62. 390STEVE says: Mar 16, 2009 7:37 AM

VIKINGS PLEASE

63. bored_of_seinfeld_jokes says: Mar 16, 2009 8:03 AM

I wonder if Cutler realizes he is hurting his own trade value here – he’s an average QB with great upside, but I don’t think he’s hit that upside yet. All he’s done in the past couple of weeks is made the case that he’s a prima donna and will be a huge distraction. In the wake of the Favre fiasco over the past year, I’d be shocked if teams weren’t taking things like this into consideration. Unless you are an organization that is like the Lions where you have so many holes and can’t afford to be as choosy.
    Think about it this way…. if this was T.O. and not Cutler, there wouldn’t even be any debate that he was acting like a douche, and Florio would be putting up an “anti-Cutler” list.

64. All Pro says: Mar 16, 2009 8:07 AM

Cutler won’t get traded to the Lions. That would leave them in a situation where they have to draft a QB #1 overall, and this is not the draft to do that. Denver wants a QB that can win games now and there is no QB in this draft who will immediately be ready to do that.
    Two possibilities that are being discussed:
    1. Cutler to the Phins for Pennington and a pick
    2. Cutler to Seahawks for Hasselbeck and a pick
    Either option could make sense.
    IMO, the Broncos management has totally mishandled this situation. They misled Cutler leavin him uncertain of his role in the organization. Now, he wants out. Who can blame him? If your boss says “we are thinking of replacing you”, what is your reaction? Find a new job, right (albeit a tough task in this economy). Cutler is in that situation where he knows he could get replaced at any time and is basically saying let’s just get this move done now. I don’t blame him.
    I could see Pennington as the Broncos QB next year.

65. fcspikeit says: Mar 16, 2009 8:09 AM

You left out one of the better truths from the interview Cutler said, “As coach said, he needs every eye in the meeting room to be on him and not me.” That is why he wasn’t coming to the meeting Monday.. McDaniels didn’t want him to.

66. HarrisonHits says: Mar 16, 2009 8:18 AM

Hope he enjoys going 1-15 in Detroit ROFL

67. big bucks fan says: Mar 16, 2009 8:19 AM

Looks like deal with Cleveland may still be a possability but i dont see the Browns giving up Rogers. Maybe Quinn and second round pick.

68. bigtrav425 says: Mar 16, 2009 8:23 AM

Im loving it!!!……You Guys will be better with Chris Simms anyways…Cutler has been over rated so far atleast,altho he is still young

69. TheDPR says: Mar 16, 2009 8:24 AM

Why do so many people keep saying that McDaniels “tried to trade” Jay Cutler? That simply is not the case. OTHER teams approached HIM with offers. OF COURSE he entertained and considered them.
    It just so happens that one of the offers was tempting enough to go beyond the initial question and led to some discussions.
    It’s looking like he’s going to try and pull a T.O. What a doofus.

70. apallday569 says: Mar 16, 2009 8:40 AM

Come on T. Owens, do something stupid. We need a new news story!

71. spanky07 says: Mar 16, 2009 8:46 AM

72. All Pro says: Mar 16, 2009 8:55 AM

“Looks like the new coach is making friends in Denver huh? He’ll be gone in 2 seasons. Cutler won’t last till training camp at this rate. Brandon Marshall is a punk. Champ Baily is way over rated and Coors is the worst beer made.”
    Now that is funny.
    Denver coach – gone in two years? Yes. He is a nobody that rode the coat-tails of a very strong coach, QB and WR.
    Cutler won’t last until training camp? Agreed. He will be a Seahawk or Dolphin.
    Marshall is a Punk? Undoubtedly.
    Coors is the worst? It’s in the bottom 10.

73. FootballRocks09 says: Mar 16, 2009 8:57 AM

What a gigantic weenie this guy is. 2 years ago they needed to beat a sub par SF team at home to make the playoffs and they laid an egg, last year they completely melt down (with Cutler one of the prime reasons) and it cost Shanahan his job. The guy just thinks way to much of himself. If he strongarms a trade I sincerely hope the ship him off to Detroit and it will take exactly 1 quarter and 3 sacks before he wishes he was back in the Rockies. Grass ain’t always greener JAY.

74. babyvegas says: Mar 16, 2009 9:02 AM

I actually don’t think Cutler cares about the attempt to trade himself – I think he’s more concerned with them trying to trade his best friend/favorite target, Tony Sheffler.
    Think about it. McDaniels told Jay that they weren’t trying to trade him, but that “anyone could be traded.” That, and the fact that Sheffler isn’t planning to show up to workouts today makes it look like Jay’s more concerned about losing his third and final confidant (Shanahan and Bates being the first two), which would make going to “work” suck. I’m a diehard Broncos fan, and I think this situation is beyond repair. I think the McDaniels era is off to a bad start, and the closest comparison I can make is when Dan Reeves fired then-QB Coach Mike Shanahan because he thought he was too close to Elway (similar to McDaniels firing Jeremy Bates). Reeves was “the Man” then, and Elway was mature enough to swallow his opinions and move on with his job, but it cost the Broncos a lot of years of mediocrity before Shanahan was finally brought back and they were able to win some Superbowls. If Cutler doesn’t get traded, I hope he’s able to do the same thing and wallow in the mediocrity that is a team run by a Belichick disciple (aren’t they pretty much 0-3 so far?) for a few years until Pat Bowlen brings back Jeremy Bates or Gary Kubiak (who will probably be fired from Houston within a couple of years) to replace McD.
    If a trade happens, I’d be happy with Cutler for Brady Quinn and a 1st round swap of picks, provided BJ Raji is still on the board when Cleveland’s pick comes up.

75. dashoe says: Mar 16, 2009 9:04 AM

I think McDaniels has let Belichicks success go to his head. This guy isn’t going to last years.
    Trading Cutler for a QB who couldn’t win a starting job since highschool, has one good season on a team with Randy Moss & Wes Welker shows poor judgement. Going into only his 4th season, Cutler is a good QB and will be a great QB. He’ll instantly make a mediocre team good and a good team a Super Bowl contender. Anyone who thinks Cutler sucks just because of a teams win-loss record is an idiot. Look up Cutlers stats and compare them to any QB in history in their first 3 years, that ought to enlighten you a bit.
    Go ahead and put McDaniels on the long list of Belichick deciples who failed.

76. All Pro says: Mar 16, 2009 9:06 AM

Brady Quinn? hahahahahahahah

77. MoparMan says: Mar 16, 2009 9:10 AM

I agree with subzero. McDaniels sucks and Cutler and Bus Cook need to call the Vikes and get this deal done. Minnesota would be Super Bowl bound!!

78. drexes says: Mar 16, 2009 9:13 AM

Yeah, because, Denver has been keeping to that whole code of silence bit on its end…
    McDaniels claimed that Cutler hasn’t been responsive to his calls or Broncos team owner Pat Bowlen.
    “Again, I think that’s been a pattern,” McDaniels said. “When he came here this weekend, we couldn’t get a one-on-one meeting, just me and him alone.
    In what world does a guy who is represented by an agent meet alone with his boss? Did McDaniels call him up and say “Umm, yeah, I’m gonna need to you to go ahead and come in on Sunday… Oh and come alone so we can talk.” That’s just retarded. Like his agent or not, this a business where player representation is the norm and expecting private conversations with players whom you’ve tried to trade and have lied to is just idiocy.
    “There wasn’t any yelling, none of that. I can’t believe we get to a totally different [interpretation]. It’s an unfortunate set of circumstances that has cropped up, a potential distraction and we’ve done our best to limit that.”
    Oh my, I was unaware that you could have a conversation without yelling that might make somebody angry. Read this next sentence aloud and understand that the voice you are interpreting as mine should be completely calm. “You are a tool and nobody here likes or values you as a human being.” Wouldn’t make you mad if your boss said that to you?

79. DCIrish says: Mar 16, 2009 9:15 AM

I love how critical we are. All of us douchebags think we can predict that McDaniels is going to get fired. What the hell makes all of us so self righteous? Most people here don’t know the first thing about football outside of a fantasy league.

80. Urinal Mint says: Mar 16, 2009 9:20 AM

a McNabb-for-Cutler swap would be highly entertaining…

81. Mbehavin2 says: Mar 16, 2009 9:22 AM

Well Bowlen wanted to be the man in Denver and be in control of the Broncos. Now he has a much younger head coach who has a bigger ego than Shanahan, a baby GM who is controlled by the EHC, his Pro Bowl QB has asked for trade, and now players are not showing up for the “voluntary” team meetings.
    Yep Pat you got what you asked for – just not what you wanted. Your new EHC has lost a very good portion of the team even before his first meeting with the team. Not sure Cutler would stay if you fired McD and Xander today then somehow talked Shanahan into returning as the known HC. What a pile of dung Bowlen has created.

82. Orangello_Jones says: Mar 16, 2009 9:28 AM

“Wow, I’d be shocked too if a coach from a real winning organization (and I can’t stand N.E.) comes in and wanted me, a 17-20 sub.500 record QB gone and his own guy in.
    Why is Cutler even shocked at all…? ”
    Some of you really need to pay closer attention to actual facts before you open your yaps. Cutler threw for 4500+ 25 TD’s with 18 INT’s. That aint doing nothing. The only reason Denver didn’t have more success is because their defense is abysmal.
    To the bronco fan lamenting another Portis for Bailey trade…yes please! Bailey has done virtually nothing to improve that team’s defensive ranking while Portis has had a record setting MVP career in Washington. Oh and you guys forgot the pick involved that allowed the Redskins to aquire Shawn Springs who even missing games was more effective than Bailey ever was for Washington. So yes Denver please give Washington another call, we’ll trade ya Jason Campbell and a bag of chips for Cutler.
    “There isn’t a team or player in the league that is above such discussions. What I don’t get is exactly why Jay Cutler seems to think that he is. How many playoff wins? What’s your overall record? Shut up and do your job. And fire your agent; that guy’s a tool.”
    Trust and lying are actually big deals in this business. No Cutler wasn’t above trade talks, but according to him he asked about it and was flat out lied to. That’s the kind of crap that poisons a team, ask Tampa Bay. Every single ex player who’s been critical of Gruden has referenced his penchant for lying. So yea it IS a big deal when the coach who is brand new starts off things by lying to folks. Cutler is whiny no doubt, but these quotes (thanks Clayton) say all ya need to know about this scenario.
    I totally believe Cutler and Cook, the evidence backs them up in spades. Contrast this scenario and how the rookie HC is dealing with it to Zorn and his problems with Portis last year and you see the right and the wrong way to smooth things out. Lying to your guy is going to do nothing but piss him off further…rightfully so.

83. inmymind says: Mar 16, 2009 9:36 AM

Ok perfect, the Eagles should send McNabb and a second or plus Kolb for Cutler. Then sign Holt draft a RB and TE in the first round go beat the heck of the NFC East.

84. VaBthang4 says: Mar 16, 2009 9:37 AM

McDaniels says: “I really have wanted to avoid a he-said, she-said thing but…” and then he proceeds to do what he says he wanted to avoid. Whatever. This coach is a dumbass. Implying that he was unable to talk to Cutler (implied man to man) because his agent was with him is BS.
    You think Tony Dungy or Bill Bellicheck or Mike Tomlin have difficulty communicating exactly what they want to at any given time, regardless of the crowd?
    Owner Pat Bowlen should’ve stepped in the instant this thing started jumping off. Took Culter out to dinner (without McDaniels) and smoothed everything out. There’s a way of letting your QB know who is in charge without sticking it in his face.
    Anyway, there went the Broncos. ;/

85. VonClausewitz says: Mar 16, 2009 9:39 AM

Cutler needs to go public if he’s going to force the issue. He has to make the situation so ugly that he’ll be moved. You think this dance step wasn’t choreographed?
    Personal attacks aside, this is about money. Cutler should be paid as an elite. I’m a Titans fan and this much is obvious to me. Denver doesn’t want to give him that, so queue the drama.
    He will be traded. His value is at its highest. If he and Denver play the sit out game his trade value drops. So they’re going to move him. Where will he go? Scratch the Titans, although I’d love to see this. They have nothing to trade. Zona has Leinart. Meh. Cleveland has Anderson or Quinn. Getting warmer. Detroit has #1. Maybe. And here’s a wildcard – Romo? Might seem nuts but I can see this happening. I figure there aren’t any qb’s in the draft who fit the McDaniels mode, although you never know (Pat White? Sanchez?). Of the young qb’s out there I think he’d only trade for Quinn or the “I can’t believe anyone is suggesting this” Romo. Or he’ll just stockpile some picks and see what Simms can do and wait a year till a suitable qb draft comes around. On the other side of the coin there are lots of places to shop Cutler. It’s a sellers market.

86. VaBthang4 says: Mar 16, 2009 9:41 AM

subzero2401 says: “This is all very senseless to me. Everyone likes to take shots at Cutler calling him a crybaby, but the fact of the matter is that Josh McDaniels is proving himself to be an idiot. He has utterly mismanaged the situation and this mess his doing. Teams search high and low for a franchise QB…this clown walks into a situation where there is already a franchise QB on the roster and he wants to run him out of town. Oh yeah, and hs didn’t get Cassel or any other suitable replacement.
    All these Belichick wannabe’s (i.e. Mangini and McDaniels) who want to walk around swinging big sticks like they are Belichick need to wake up and realize that they are NOT Belichick. McDaniels could have had it all and he’s well on his way to blowing it.”
    __________________
    Agreed. The Patriots coaching tree has turned out to be a complete joke and McDaniels is setting himself up to keep that lineage alive.

87. VaBthang4 says: Mar 16, 2009 9:50 AM

drexes says: “The circumstances, as presented, didn’t “crop up”, McDaniels created them. He hasn’t done his best to limit distraction and any difference in interpretation can be found in the two mutually exclusive comments from McDaniels on the 1st and 16th of March. I don’t believe for a second that McDaniels was only analyzing the offers he was permitted. I’m not that naive. He was actively seeking Cassel from day one, and his ego is too big to do damage control now that he has failed. ”
    ___________________
    Bingo!

88. e.c. matter says: Mar 16, 2009 9:56 AM

McDaniels’ only mistake was trying to tip toe around Cutler’s fragile psyche.

89. CaptainFantastik says: Mar 16, 2009 10:03 AM

“Send him to the Steelers! They’re in desperate need of a QB, Big Ben is a moron…. ”
    —————————————————
    Actually, you’re the moron. Ben just won the Super Bowl making plays all over the field that no other QB in the game is capable of making.
    As for Cutler, looks to me like he’s the one pouring gas on the fire in this situation. His play on the field hasn’t been good enough to give him any kind of leverage anyway. If the Bronocos don’t trade him, he can either play for the Broncos or retire. Those are his options.

90. brandon2443 says: Mar 16, 2009 10:11 AM

if he is looking for a new home someone said the skins are paying great..

91. egypt123 says: Mar 16, 2009 10:17 AM

Texans: Matt Schaub and a 2nd and 4th round pick for Cutler. Or, PAnters: Jonathan Stewart and a 3rd round pick for Cutler

92. titanhitman says: Mar 16, 2009 10:30 AM

oh my god the quarterback is toast

93. VaBthang4 says: Mar 16, 2009 10:33 AM

DanSnydersPetCeratto says:
    I declare this the Curse of John Elway.
    ____________

94. Daryl_S says: Mar 16, 2009 10:55 AM

Hey Florio, Tom Kowolski is reporting that the Lions and Broncos will discuss a trade for Jay Cutler!!!

95. purpleguy says: Mar 16, 2009 10:56 AM

The Lions need so much it wouldn’t be the best move for them to trade for a QB at this time. Seems like the Bucs or the Vikes would be the best options, but the Vikes and their dope of a head coach seem happy with the un-dynamic duo of Rosenfels and T-Jack. Thus, I’d put my money on the Bucs.

96. Jon Snow says: Mar 16, 2009 11:29 AM

10:30 (Mountain Time) press conference announced for today.
    I would be thoroughly enjoying this if it wasn’t happening to my favorite team.

97. kellyb9 says: Mar 16, 2009 11:52 AM

I’m a Pats fan, but wow, did McDaniels really mess up this situation. If you’re going to pull the trigger on Cassel, pull it and never look back because this has opened pandora’s box. Either way, I think bringing in Cassel is a little too much nepotism on McDaniels’ part.

98. eklypse69 says: Mar 16, 2009 4:14 PM

What blows my mind on this whole thing is how infantile Cutlet is. What a baby! This is the nature of the beast. Every year, teams look at trade possibilities. NO ONE is immune, especially after the few mediocre seasons he’s had at QB.
    I didn’t see a statue of him outside the stadium or a big picture on the side of the building with a billboard that said “JAY CUTLER. THE FACE OF OUR FRANCHISE.” He’s no Peyton Manning. Hell, he’s no Eli Manning! He’s a cryin little bitch who thinks because he plays for starting QB for the browncows that he somehow must be considered in a higher reguard than someone who led his team to a 12-4 season?
    Go ahead, get your trade. Just don’t be suprised if you’re wallowing in a 2-14 season in the motor city next season. Of course, after the losses Denver’s taken in the off season, don’t be suprised if you end up with that record where you’re at! HAHAHAHA!
    GO RAIDERS!