Dolphins Prepping Henne for 2010

Although Chad Pennington is entrenched as the Miami Dolphins’ starting quarterback for next season, the team plans to prepare former University of Michigan quarterback Chad Henne to become the starter by 2010, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.
Citing a team source, Salguero reports that the Dolphins will increase Henne’s playing time during the preseason this year.
“‘We need to get Chad Henne ready to play,” the unnamed source told the Herald. “We don’t think Chad Pennington has to play 12 quarters in the preseason to get ready for the regular season. But we do need to give Henne a chance to get ready because his time is coming.”
Henne has reportedly convinced the organization that he’s the Dolphins’ quarterback of the future, so much so that they’re not negotiating a contract extension for Pennington as the 32-year-old enters the final year of his contract.
Plus, the Dolphins are of the belief that Henne’s ability to throw deep could benefit wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr’s career.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Dolphins Prepping Henne for 2010”
  1. titans_fan says: Mar 24, 2009 2:24 PM

Pennington will probably have a monster year in ’09 and put them in an awkward position and the fans will all say “they should have locked him up long-term…” and they’ll franchise him for what will by that point be $20 mil…
    Its so predictable.

2. ahstoosu82 says: Mar 24, 2009 2:26 PM

I’d like to see if Henne has improved his poise any since his college days. Any pressure, be it a pass rush or mental, seemed to make him shrink on the field.

3. KILLER FINS FAN says: Mar 24, 2009 2:35 PM

Ginn just needs to step it up with or without Henne, even tho Henne will be great!!! Pennington may be a big helper with the grooming of Henne & a great back up for the kid!!! I’m afraid Ginn is a bust tho!!! GO FINS 2009!!!

4. empty13 says: Mar 24, 2009 2:39 PM

big immobile target

5. Matt Hoover says: Mar 24, 2009 2:41 PM

Kent Graham-immobile.

6. RobJH says: Mar 24, 2009 2:42 PM

At first I couldn’t believe that Miami wasn’t going to re-sign Pennington to have a capable leader as a backup, or at least try to trade him for some value, but he really deserves to go wherever he wants after next year. Plus, Miami would probably end up with a 3rd round compensatory pick if/when he leaves. So I can’t really complain. Henne has looked good when he’s been in, even though that was mostly in preseason and garbage time in the blowout loss vs the Cardinals.

7. garyofferdahl says: Mar 24, 2009 2:42 PM

I guess John Beck is the backup of the future?

8. joemommascallin says: Mar 24, 2009 2:46 PM

How many qb’s since Marino retired???

9. FillyFinatic says: Mar 24, 2009 2:47 PM

Im intrigued with Henne – good ole’ Pennsylvania boy! But we might seem him earlier than later cause theres a good chance with the teams we play this year that Chad will get banged up. If thats the case we might see Henne. As for Ginn… um not sure if he will become a better wide out with Henne in the backfield. Seems the best wideouts do more than just run.

10. Ralph GreNader says: Mar 24, 2009 2:50 PM

Yah so this just looks like a recipe for disaster after the 09 season.

11. JaggedMark says: Mar 24, 2009 2:51 PM

Henne shrinks on the field when pressured? You mean like when he destroyed Florida in the Capitol One Bowl. Pennington isn’t half the QB that Henne will end up being. Book that and lock it up!

12. NickkciN says: Mar 24, 2009 2:51 PM

Pennington to the Jets…Lets start that rumor right now. You listening Florio?

13. TheDPR says: Mar 24, 2009 2:52 PM

Ted Ginn’s career will be maximized when they get a QB who can make the throws necessary for WRs to be successful. Pennington is a good leader and makes accurate throws within his range, but his range is limited, and that limits what his WRs will be able to accomplish on the field.

14. Campbell2Mossfor6 says: Mar 24, 2009 2:53 PM

Pennington had a 93 qb rating last season and lead the team to the division title. Shouldnt he at least get a chance to solidfy his position as the teams long term option?

15. svnrdr says: Mar 24, 2009 3:20 PM

empty13 says: big immobile target
    ——————————————————————–
    NOT COMPARING HENNE TO ANYONE HERE, just pointing out other big immobile NFL targets
    Dan Marino
    Tom Brady
    Kurt Warner
    Jim Kelly
    Peyton Manning
    The list continues…

16. JakeDSnake says: Mar 24, 2009 3:21 PM

The Fins with Henne Youngman?
    “I told the trainer I broke my leg in two places. He says, ‘Don’t go to those places anymore’”.
    “That Ravens defense is tough. One of their guys bet me $10 I was dead. I was afraid to take the bet.”
    “My other brother-in-law died. He was a karate expert, then joined the army. The first time he saluted, he killed himself.”
    “My running back, Ricky Williams, complains about headaches in the morning. I keep telling him, when you get out of bed it’s feet first!”

17. KILLER FINS FAN says: Mar 24, 2009 3:24 PM

I think this will be 10 since Marino!!! Beck should be traded out poor guy didn’t have a chance when the Parcells staff took over!!! Henne will probably get his shot to start probably mid year either by injury to Pennington or poor play!!! Either way get Henne ready!!! GO FINS 2009!!!

18. JakeDSnake says: Mar 24, 2009 3:31 PM

More Henne Youngman at QB:
    “I says to Bill (Parcells):’You look like a talent scout for a cemetery.’”
    “Tony (Sparano) and Bill are a fastidious couple. Tony’s fast and Bill’s hideous.”
    “When I told the team doctor I couldn’t afford to be hurt for Sunday, he offered to touch-up my X-rays.”
    “I’m not saying my WR’s are slow, but when Beason runs a deep post he keeps a diary of the trip.”
    “What’s the use of happiness? It can’t buy you money.”
    “Like my buddy Jay in Denver says: ‘Take my Head Coach…please!’”

19. cab1030 says: Mar 24, 2009 3:31 PM

Is this the same Chad Henne that was 0-4 versus Ohio State?? HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!eleven

20. texasPHINSfan says: Mar 24, 2009 3:32 PM

rofl @ jakedsnake.
    well done!

21. Torontochamp says: Mar 24, 2009 3:37 PM

Dolphins overachieved last season, due in part to a soft schedule. They will come back to earth this season, 7-9, so expectations for Henne will be minimal.

22. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 24, 2009 3:55 PM

Who gave Jakedsnake less than a 5 for either of his posts? Classic!

23. Jmac0585 says: Mar 24, 2009 4:16 PM

Dear KILLER FINS FAN,
    The appropriate number of exclamation points in a row is three, ONLY if you are going to use them fewer than twice in a paragraph. You’ve been warned.

24. greensmackginny says: Mar 24, 2009 4:17 PM

Kevin from Philly says:
    March 24th, 2009 at 3:55 pm
    Who gave Jakedsnake less than a 5 for either of his posts? Classic!
    Chad Henne… remember dude didn’t have alot of talent at Michigan…
    Wait, who is the Dolphins WR? I think the team will be renamed the Golfins because thats what they will be doing after week 17.
    But then again everytime Parcells has drafted or has been involved with the drafting of a QB they have done well.

25. KILLER FINS FAN says: Mar 24, 2009 4:18 PM

as long as they get big wins in their division, it will be a good season!!! GO FINS 2009!!!

26. virtualplague says: Mar 24, 2009 5:00 PM

Pennington gets no damn respect.
    I just can’t wait till he’s out of the AFC East.
    So under-rated.

27. FinFanMan13 says: Mar 24, 2009 5:03 PM

Hey, it could be worse. We could have signed Quinn and from what I’ve been reading, CLEVELAND considers him a bust (now how bad is that?).

28. speedy1383 says: Mar 24, 2009 5:07 PM

When I think of big immobile QBs, I think of Drew Bledsoe or Brad Johnson. Marino, Manning and Brady aren’t good examples of big immobile QBs. All of them are big, but they know how to move around in the pocket. Marino was a master at that. You don’t have to be a Steve Young or a Michael Vick to be a mobile QB.
    I haven’t given up hope on Ted Ginn Jr. I thought he made some great progress last year as a receiver. I see him making even a bigger jump next season.
    It is smart to prepare Chad Henne for the starting job. It will get a bit tricky if Chad P has a great year and leads them far in the playoffs. Then you are in a tricky situation like SD (Brees, Rivers) had a few years ago and Cincy (Kitna, Palmer) had as well. Both Brees and Kitna had good seasons before they left. It helped SD that Brees got seriously hurt his last game. And Cincy knew that Kitna was not going to get any better and it was time to turn it over to Palmer.

29. Mistress Rachael says: Mar 24, 2009 5:38 PM

Not much will help Ted Ginn…officially A bust…about as fundamentally poor a top 10 pick as ever come to NFL
    Drafted because ‘ Cam knew his family’….got great exposure @OSU…but reality was his team, and teammates made him look better than he is.
    Ginn won’t be more than average receiver and decent returner….more like 3rd round talent.

30. JakeDSnake says: Mar 24, 2009 5:51 PM

virtualplague says:
    March 24th, 2009 at 5:00 pm
    “Pennington gets no damn respect.”
    Chad, the Fins’ No Respect QB:
    “I could tell that Henne hates me. For my birthday he gave me bath toys…a toaster and a radio.”
    “I haven’t spoken to Bill Parcells in years. I didn’t want to interrupt him.”
    “I remember the time I was kidnapped in the bye week and they sent a piece of my finger to Mr. Huizenga. He said he wanted more proof.”
    “When I got traded here, I told Coach Sparano that everyone on the Dolphins hates me. He said I was being ridiculous – everyone hasn’t met me yet.”
    “My mother never breast fed me, she told me she only liked me as a friend.”
    “My Offensive Coordinator is always trying to get rid of me. The other day Dan told me to put the garbage out during a team meeting. I said to him I already did. He told me to go and keep an eye on it.”

31. myusernamestinks says: Mar 24, 2009 7:06 PM

Is Henne a surgeon? The only way he’s going to be able to help Ginn is by removing his vagina.

32. dfins says: Mar 24, 2009 8:11 PM

Thank you myusernamestinks. I totally agree with your comment regarding Ted Ginn.
    I just that the Fins can compete and win at least 6 wins within their division; if they do, they’ll be in good shape to repeat as AFC East Champs.
    Forget about the Cheatriots and the Jetsssuk…
    go fins 2009.

33. RobJH says: Mar 24, 2009 8:38 PM

Calling Ted Ginn a bust after 2 years is absolutely ridiculous. It was known coming out of college that he was raw with loads of upside.
    His rookie year Ginn had a broke down Trent Green, Cleo-freaking-Lemon, and a gun-shy rookie John Beck throwing him the ball. This year with Pennington he made tremendous strides despite playing in an offense not suited to his particular strengths. The guy has been in the league 2 years and he’s a bust, seriously? Isn’t it fairly common knowledge the WRs take 3 years to mature?
    Take this for instance, look up Santana Moss’ first 2 years in the league. He was the 16th overall pick in 2001 and caught a whopping 32 passes for 473 yds and 4 TDs his first 2 years. So, was Santana Moss a bust? His 3rd year 74 rec for 1105 yds and 10 TDs.
    In Ginn’s 1st yr, again with 3 different subpar QBs, he had 34 rec for 420 yds and 2 TDs, nearly what Moss had in his first 2. Ginn’s second year? 56 Rec for 790 Yds 2 Rec TDs and 2 Rushing TDs. Could he fight a little harder for yards? Sure, but he’s young and he’s still learning. Has he been consistent? Not really, but the guy is progressing.
    So, please don’t dump Ted Ginn in the bust pile along with the likes of Mike Williams, Reggie Williams, Charles Rodgers, Rashaun Woods and Marcus Nash, because the fact is, he’s nowhere near that bad.

34. clevelandaewoo says: Mar 24, 2009 11:37 PM

chad henne pees sitting down.

35. clevelandaewoo says: Mar 25, 2009 5:42 PM

chad henne pees sitting down

36. FiNsFaN4lIfE says: Apr 13, 2009 12:02 AM

Pennington was the key to setting up the turn around from 1-15 to 11-5 and winning the Miami Dolphins division. Without Pennington being there Parcell’s process would of taken atleast two or three years. Chad Henne has a chance to become a good QB in the NFL. But the wide recievers the Dolphins have he wont do it. The wide recievers Miami have are perfect for Pennington to produce. He has never had a big arm an since his two rotator cuff injuries he has even less of a deep ball. But their is maybe to people in the league right now that has better short range accuracy. Pennington was the reason Miami won the last 8 of their 11 wins last season. The wildcat only opened up that team to build up their morale. Now they have it and Pennington has began to build up his trust in his recievers and they have built their trust in them. An as long as Ricky and Ronnie run the ball an their can be over two seconds in the pocket for him unlike in the playoff game against Baltimore, Pennington will produce. An as for Ted Ginn Jr he was drafted as a special team guy, they were hoping for a player like Devin Hester, I’m not saying the kid can’t play ball but he wasn’t suppose to build up to be a number one reciever, he got thrown into that after Welker an Chambers were traded an Booker left.