Hall Defends Haynesworth Contract

In an interview with Sporting News Radio’s The Monty Show, Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall addressed the question of whether defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth deserves the big, fat contract he received from the team last month.
“Do I feel like he’s the most feared player in this league?  Yes I do. . . .  I think he’s the best player in the NFL, bar none,” Hall said.
“I am a little partial to defensive players, but I do feel like he’s the best player in the NFL.  His salary is definitely up there . . . but we didn’t go out and pay him ten times more than Peyton Manning or Jared Allen.  We paid him along those same lines and I think he’s going to help me and help this team and that’s what it’s all about.”
Hayneworth received $41 million guaranteed as part of a six-year, $100 million contract.  (As a practical matter, it’s a four-year, $48 million deal.)
Earlier this month, Haynesworth was indicted on charges arising from a December car accident that resulted in a 25-year-old man receiving a hip replacement.
Of course, Hall has every reason to defend his team’s expenditures.  After all, Hall also got a huge deal of his own from the Redskins – a six-year, $55 million package with $23 million guaranteed.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
24 Responses to “Hall Defends Haynesworth Contract”
  1. powerte says: Mar 25, 2009 5:20 PM

Who knew head stompin’ could be so lucrative?

2. CtownBleedsGreen says: Mar 25, 2009 5:22 PM

“Do I feel like he’s the most feared player in this league? Yes I do. . . . I think he’s the best player in the NFL, bar none,” Hall said.
    Sounds like a guy afraid to get his head stomped.

3. smiley says: Mar 25, 2009 5:39 PM

Hail!

4. TitansFanatic says: Mar 25, 2009 5:44 PM

Hanyensworth was a beast the alst 2 years, we will see if he can continue to produce now that he has received his big payday.
    The Redskins are known for making excellent decisions in free agency, right? haha.

5. packerfan4life says: Mar 25, 2009 5:49 PM

It was a seven year, $100 million contract.

6. VonClausewitz says: Mar 25, 2009 5:51 PM

He is the best defensive player in the league, easy. He’s a one-man bulldozer.

7. NDCowboysfan says: Mar 25, 2009 5:54 PM

birds of a feather flock together…

8. 2 Dimes and a Nickel Back says: Mar 25, 2009 5:55 PM

“Yes I do. . . . I think he’s the best player in the NFL, bar none”
    Must not have done too hot on his wonderlic.

9. TroyBoyDK says: Mar 25, 2009 6:08 PM

Am I the only one noticing the classic DeAngelo Hall statement, mentioning ‘help me’ before he mentions helping the team… Classic!

10. Cycloid says: Mar 25, 2009 6:12 PM

Peyton Manning or Jared Allen? Who is Jared Allen in this conversation?
    If you’re gonna name drop, make it a big name…not someone who is withering away in the NFC North.

11. gorillaghost says: Mar 25, 2009 6:16 PM

fat albert aint got shit on da eagles! washington foreskins last place again.. yall gotta hate it..

12. mattraider says: Mar 25, 2009 6:21 PM

“he’s going to help me and help this team” What a dick Hall is. Is he actually a starter for the skins because he flat out stunk in oakland. Hall is an average corner at best and for every pick or nice break up he gets he gives up half a dozen catches for big gains. Is it really news when this guy opens his mouth and spits dog eggs at everyone.

13. smfowler says: Mar 25, 2009 6:33 PM

D Hall knows nothing about the business side of football.
    He’s used to getting paid for doing a mediocre job, so Redskins fans, don’t get too happy just yet.
    Bad sign. I wouldnt back up anything D Hall advocates.

14. bartholder22 says: Mar 25, 2009 6:35 PM

This is coming from a guy who made 8M for 8 games in OAK before quitting on his team only to be rewarded by Snyder and Co in WSH– gotta love it

15. joepace79 says: Mar 25, 2009 6:46 PM

WHAT??? you think the Redskins spend too much???? Have you alerted the media? (and no you dont count)
    I cant figure out which the geek who does the site likes more: subtly attacking the Redskins or subtly kissing Obamas taint?

16. sacked92 says: Mar 25, 2009 7:02 PM

Glad he can defend something, wocka wocka

17. empty13 says: Mar 25, 2009 8:11 PM

When albert don’t do sheeyat next year what will widdle dee angela say?

18. Elaw6 says: Mar 25, 2009 8:32 PM

Once the season starts then we can see what teams/players are worth their $$. Both of these men will make perform far beyond what you dallas and philly fans think
    Hail2theRedskins!!

19. smiley says: Mar 25, 2009 9:32 PM

The guy is a bulldozer (Big Al)….D. Hall on the other hand? Ehhhh….I wasn’t THAT impressed with him in the 8 games he played for us last year. I do think with better coaching he can become a very good cover corner. He’ll never be a great tackler…he’s simply to small and he looked out of place at times last year. If he doesn’t know this defense is a team effort..he will. Big Al on the other hand is simply a beast. We can move him around on the line of scrimmage as well. If we can keep Griffin fresh throughout the year these two are going to be dominant. Obviously we still have a couple of holes at LE and SAM positions. We also need some depth at corner which we’ll address in late free agency (unless a steal is sitting late in the draft). This is the year London Fletcher should go to the ProBowl with 130-140 tackles. Hail!

20. superius says: Mar 25, 2009 9:35 PM

Obviously we still have a couple of holes at LE and SAM positions

21. branephood says: Mar 26, 2009 9:07 AM

“I think he’s the best player in the NFL, bar none,” Hall said.
    Ok so If I’m Redskin fan I’m seriously wondering about DeAngelA’s intelligence level because apparently Ang doesn’t know too much about football. She sounds like one of those Nascar pukes talking about how great of a race team they have when they finish 20 laps down week after week.

22. smiley says: Mar 26, 2009 11:47 AM

Superius – The QB doesn’t play on defense.

23. DatSkinsDude says: Mar 26, 2009 3:07 PM

The reality here is that no one man is worth a $100 million contract, however, the NFL is a business and the money is there. Remember, this is not your money; it is the money of the owners. I am sure Haynesworth believe he is not worth every penny of the contract; however, if he is the best defensive player in the league and has proven to make his teammates better then the market commands that he be paid in such a way…And it is not like he will see every penny of the contract either.

24. mattat39 says: Mar 26, 2009 7:25 PM

All you people are hating cause your team didnt get him!!! Hail to the Redskins bitches