Jason Taylor Says He's Talking To The Dolphins

Free-agent defensive end Jason Taylor, who presumably plans to weigh possible employment offers just long enough to avoid offseason practice, has been hinting about a desire to return to the Dolphins.
Though former teammates Channing Crowder and Joey Porter have expressed a strong desire to bring J.T. back to Miami, the team’s interest has been on the tepid side.
According to Taylor, however, the temperature is rising.  Taylor tells Tim Graham of ESPN.com that the 2006 NFL defensive player of the year is talking with the Fins about a return.
We’re not prepared to say we don’t believe Taylor.  Wait, maybe we are.
Given the manner in which Taylor forced his way out of town last year, due to his belief that a team that was 1-15 in 2007 simply wouldn’t be competitive, we can’t imagine V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells slaying the fatted calf for the prodigal dancer.
“Hey, Jason,” Parcells might say, “you made your choice last year.  I don’t want guys who only want to be here when things are good.  I want guys who want to be here in the bad times, too.”  (I guarantee you that a small percentage of the audience will believe Parcells actually said that, even though I am trying to emphasize via this parenthetical that Parcells didn’t actually say it.)
One team Taylor isn’t interested in joining is the Jets.
“I’ve had a lot of history saying bad things about Jets fans,” Taylor said.  “The fireman hat guy [Fireman Ed] and all of the people in New York that are Jets fans are not the ones that are working on Wall Street.  I’ve said all of those things.  So I’ve got to leave it at that.”  (If anyone out there understands that quote, would you be willing to enlighten the rest of us via a comment to this post?)
Our guess is that Taylor would prefer to play for the Patriots, and that he’s flirting with both teams in order to maximize the value of his contract.
If nothing else, feigning interest in returning to the Fins is great practice for his acting career.
Then again, given that he seems to be destined for the Michael Irvin/Bill Romanowski “former football player” roles, it’s not as if Taylor needs much acting practice.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Jason Taylor Says He's Talking To The Dolphins”
  1. sactoking says: Apr 8, 2009 5:18 PM

I believe he means that he’s called Jets fans stupid and he doesn’t want to end up playing for them and getting killed in the media.

2. ScottieC says: Apr 8, 2009 5:23 PM

Jets fans are not smart enough to work on Wall Street.
    He’s right, I have no problem with that comment.

3. brianforster says: Apr 8, 2009 5:23 PM

Florio I heard something about the Redskins getting their pick back if he signs with the Dolphins. It sounds ridiculous, but I figured PFT would be a great place to ask about it. Any truth to it?

4. NYJets28 says: Apr 8, 2009 5:27 PM

Wow I can’t believe Parcells actually said that!

5. garyofferdahl says: Apr 8, 2009 5:32 PM

He attacked Fireman Ed saying he was trashy more or less…calling out individual fans is showing a pretty deep seeded hatred indeed. Pats or Phins I’m sure for Taylor.

6. Titans_Tim says: Apr 8, 2009 5:32 PM

I think his quote vis-a-vis Wall Street was implying that fans of the Jets are more of the blue-collar type.

7. vikes02 says: Apr 8, 2009 5:36 PM

Hey Jason, the people on Wall Street aren’t real fans! People like Fireman Ed are the real fans. I hope no team signs you!!

8. sportfan1234 says: Apr 8, 2009 5:45 PM

This is from the NY POST – Jets Blog
    During his time in Miami, Taylor ripped the Jets repeatedly and threw gas on the rivalry between the two teams. The Patriots also are looking at Taylor, and he would not have as much of a problem going to New England, another AFC East rival of the Dolphins.
    ”I never said it wouldn’t be difficult to play for either, but the Jets are the Jets,” Taylor said. “I’ve had a lot of history saying bad things about Jets fans. The fireman hat guy and all of those people in New York that are Jets fans aren’t the ones working on Wall Street. I’ve said all of those things, so I’ve got to leave it at that.”
    Taylor is referring to comments he made in 2004 before the Jets played in Miami. Taylor referenced how he expected many Jets fans to be at the game, “a bunch of them chanting their dumb-ass chant and all that other stuff, being the ignorant fans they are. I said it. I don’t care if they get mad at me or not. They don’t like me anyway. Quite frankly, I don’t care … I’m just being real. I’m telling the truth. You carry yourself with some class, and we’ll talk about you as if you’ve got class. If you want to act crazy and do all the crazy things they do, I’ll call a spade a spade.”

9. Mike D says: Apr 8, 2009 5:47 PM

Maybe theyre talking to him about being a Dolphinette or whatever the hell theyre called. Would be more in line with his career goals.

10. grant says: Apr 8, 2009 5:47 PM

He has made comments about the Jets fans as being stupid.
    However, Miami cannot sign him until July 20th. Otherwise they lose the draft pick that they received when trading him to Washington last year.

11. kjmacdon says: Apr 8, 2009 5:48 PM

I find it distasteful that he wanted out because they weren’t any good and wants right back in after they’ve had a decent season. This lowers my opinion of Taylor, much more than the DWTS situation.

12. Lost says: Apr 8, 2009 5:49 PM

Dolphin have given big signing bonus to Cameron (Derek) Wake as DE in a re-aligned 3/4 defense. Wake is an unbelievable athlete and has the resume to prove it.
    How does Jason Taylor fit into Parcells revamped D?

13. KILLER FINS FAN says: Apr 8, 2009 5:58 PM

c’mon back J.T.!!! 1 more season the kick ass in the AFC EAST!!! one more season to knock Brady on his ass too!!! GO FINS 2009!!!

14. Eddie Drycleaner says: Apr 8, 2009 6:00 PM

But… Jets fans IS stupid…

15. getagrip says: Apr 8, 2009 6:02 PM

I think Taylor has said that he thinks Jets fans are stupid/trashy, that sort of thing. The comment he made there seems like an awkward way of trying to mention that.

16. Humpty Dumpt says: Apr 8, 2009 6:02 PM

“All of the people in New York that are Jets fans are not the ones that are working on Wall Street.”
    No, the Jets fans aren’t the ones working on Wall Street, and this dancing defensive end is turning his nose up at the prospect of playing for a team whose fan base is mostly blue collar working types.
    The real reason that he doesn’t like Jets fans is because he had to give up a home game every year when enough Jets fans showed up to Joe Robbie that it was more like Manhattan than Miami. Once fans saw that their catcalls got under his skin, they poured it on even more.
    Sorry Jason, but your issue isn’t really with the Jets fans who abused you over the years — it’s with your own fans who didn’t show up to the games.

17. oldschool says: Apr 8, 2009 6:07 PM

He means that ‘Fireman Ed” sits on his brothers shoulders and farts…..

18. UltimateDolfan says: Apr 8, 2009 6:07 PM

Bring Jason back for 1 more year and then let him retire as a Dolphin.
    GO FINS!!!

19. datboy21 says: Apr 8, 2009 6:09 PM

So the tuna said that?

20. bpenlandjr says: Apr 8, 2009 6:12 PM

“I’ve had a lot of history saying bad things about Jets fans,” Taylor said. “The fireman hat guy [Fireman Ed] and all of the people in New York that are Jets fans are not the ones that are working on Wall Street. I’ve said all of those things. So I’ve got to leave it at that.” (If anyone out there understands that quote, would you be willing to enlighten the rest of us via a comment to this post?)
    ——————————————————-
    Jets fans are idiots. They are not bright enough to work on Wall Street. Unless they are cleaning the street…

21. Buckeye Chad says: Apr 8, 2009 6:18 PM

If you haven’t seen the NFLN interview with Jeff Ireland this morning regarding Taylor it’s worth a look. Ireland sounded cold to the idea. Ireland commented on Taylor’s age an desire to commit. Another point Ireland mentioned was Taylor not wanting to participate and his being there hurting the development of others who may sit behind him.

22. seamusfurr says: Apr 8, 2009 6:22 PM

That’s right. He said that back when “working on Wall Street” was considered a sign of intelligence.

23. Bucket says: Apr 8, 2009 6:34 PM

In his mind he equated Wall Street to “intelligence” and thus his comment was that certain jets fans essentially weren’t bright… Not exactly a clever statement for Taylor, who also apparently doesn’t “work on Wall Street.”

24. bigblueisback 56 says: Apr 8, 2009 6:36 PM

he’s calling jets fans uneducated poor white trash…pretty obvious

25. Bucket says: Apr 8, 2009 6:37 PM

Kind of weird for him to bring it up though- The Jets must have told him that there was no way on earth it was going to happen, or he really just felt like limiting his options even more, which considering it is already April and he is unemployed tells you a lot about him. … Jets fans would’ve been more than happy to forgive after a double-digit sack season, especially after Gholston.

26. UncleBuck says: Apr 8, 2009 7:00 PM

You Jet hatin Zero’s are just like Taylor…..LOOSERS.
    This guy choked everytime he stepped on the field against the NYJ.He and his boy Zack Thomas were owned by the NYJ. I would be excited for him to get back into the AFC East..one less end to think about. I’ll never forget his dumb A## miked up during the Monday Night Miracle……priceless LMAO

27. Pantherfan105 says: Apr 8, 2009 7:15 PM

The people on Wall St. apparently aren’t even smart enough to work on Wall St…
    In all seriousness, I dont see him fitting in with the Jets anyway. I see him back in Miami, going to Tampa, or maybe even the Jags.

28. BlogHog says: Apr 8, 2009 7:39 PM

Jason Taylor will NEVER be a Dolphin. He might be begging for a return, but it will not happen with Bill (give em’ hell) Parcells calling the shots. Why would he back peddle when they had a better season without him? It doesn’t work like that. If J.T. wants a family life while “dancing” around a football career, you can’t have it both ways.
    I promise you, he may be talking to the Phins, but they are not listening to him. He needs to cut bait and fish for another team… do you know how i know?… The Skins cut him loose and that is all you need to know.

29. jwestbay says: Apr 8, 2009 7:41 PM

Not that you are ever cynical Florio, but there is no way Taylor is talking to the Phins to drive up his market value. He had 8 MILLION on the table in DC. If he wanted the most money possible, then all he had to do was show up for workouts, a small commitment for such a huge payday. He had to do know he wouldn’t get that much on the open market. This is NOT about money.
    Miami has Porter and a highly unproven (in the NFL) Wake and not much else for pass rush. I know Ireland said he wouldn’t want to bring in Taylor because it would prevent other players from growing into the role, but puleaze, Taylor would be worth every cent as a situational pass rushing specalist. Give em 25 plays a game and he would be a beast. Let the young pups play the rest of the snaps, keep JT fresh for the playoff puuuuuuuuush!

30. jwestbay says: Apr 8, 2009 7:43 PM

Bucket – JT doesn’t care about limiting his options. He has all the money he needs, so either hes going to play for HIS team, the Miami Dolphins OR take a shot at a ring with the Pats. Thats it.
    You would think Jets fans would understand the hated rivalry between the Phins and the Jets especially!

31. xgbx says: Apr 8, 2009 8:21 PM

Jason Taylor says he’s talking to dolphins? Do they call him at home? Does he have a dorsal fin?
    -Ace Ventura, Pet Detective

32. descendency says: Apr 8, 2009 8:50 PM

Let him play for the flops or the Just End The Season jets. Mark my words, he will regret it.

33. Football is life says: Apr 8, 2009 9:36 PM

Mopping the floors at a peep show is not blue color.

34. FinfanJim says: Apr 9, 2009 12:19 AM

UncleBuck says:
    April 8th, 2009 at 7:00 pm
    You Jet hatin Zero’s are just like Taylor…..LOOSERS.
    ______________________________________________
    If you’re going to start your own little rant, how about learning the English language? What does the Zero own? Learn to spell loser. If you want to be superior to morons, you’ve got to start acting like it…

35. UberJet says: Apr 9, 2009 9:34 AM

Its really hard to pass rush with your foot in your mouth Jason, even harder with your head up your ass.
    I agree with Bucket, the Jets already told him to piss off, but I hear the AFL is still hiring.
    “So I’ve got to leave it at that.”

36. texasPHINSfan says: Apr 9, 2009 12:12 PM

taylor didn’t want out last year b/c of the team’s poor performance. i’m sure that frustrated him, but that’s not why. it was that fuss about his dancing activities & his missing the voluntary OTA’s. he’s a lifelong dolphin, so obviously going to the Jets is a bad idea. The Jets are our arch-enemy. I hate the Pats too, but at least the Pats have a legitimate shot at a title. JT just wanted a title before he retired. i supported him on that effort. our team was 1-15 a year ago. if you’re on the absolute twilight of your career and you’ve never won, you can’t blame a player for wanting to win. JT was in Miami through several crappy seasons – he paid his dues. he deserves to win.
    i’m not going to ostracize him for that.
    all that said, i wouldn’t bring him back unless he’d take a seriously cheaper contract, and only for a year or two. and even then you have to wonder where he’d fit in our system now.

37. jets83 says: Apr 9, 2009 12:38 PM

Jason Taylor is 4-12 against the Jets since 2000….sounds like he has a reason to hate playing the Jets

38. UncleBuck says: Apr 10, 2009 5:14 PM

FinfanJim says:
    April 9th, 2009 at 12:19 am
    C’mon Jim = You know he sucks !
    And thanks for the English lesson sister.
    As for your Phish:
    Let’s go to the Video Tape !
    LMAO