John Madden Retires

Rarely if ever is one of our crackpot ahead-of-the-curve theories accurate.
So on the unusual occurrence that we nail one, we are compelled to celebrate by feasting on a block of cheese the size of a car battery.
NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol announced Thursday that living-legend NFL broadcaster John Madden is retiring.  And we had it pegged earlier this year, after Matt Millen made an unscheduled appearance on the playoff edition of NBC’s pregame show, Football Night In America:
“In our estimation, John Madden will retire from broadcasting after the season, Cris Collinsworth will take Madden’s place on NBC’s Sunday Night Football, and Millen will replace Collinsworth on FNIA,” we wrote on January 3.
We had been hearing rumors that Madden would exit the industry, along with speculation that he’d re-join the Raiders in a front-office role.  Last September, owner Al Davis hinted during the infamous “Lane Kiffin Must Consume Fecal Matter And Die” press conference that a local figure could soon be added to the organization.
“It’s time,” Madden said in a statement.  “I’m 73 years old.  My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall.  I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not . . . .
“It’s been such a great ride. . . .  The NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion — it still is.   I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have . . . that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League . . . my broadcasting partners Pat [Summerall] and Al [Michaels] . . . the production people and the fans . . . is still great . . . it’s still fun and that’s what it makes it hard and that’s why it took me a few months to make a decision.
“I still love every part of it — the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people . . . but I know this is the right time.”
As we’ve previously heard it, Madden and Ebersol agreed upon execution of Madden’s six-year deal that, after three years, they’d revisit his situation.
Sundays and Mondays won’t be the same without John Madden, and in hindsight he capped his career the right way — by calling one of the most exciting Super Bowls ever.

Permalink 88 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
88 Responses to “John Madden Retires”
  1. raiderclay says: Apr 16, 2009 10:42 AM

Some time ago, Al Davis suggested that the Raiders would hire someone for the front office at some point soon… nothing’s been said about it since – my guess is that John’s that hire.
    Now, as for what role he’d have – who knows…

2. empty13 says: Apr 16, 2009 10:47 AM

and his seat is warm and ready for favre to take over!

3. dldove77 says: Apr 16, 2009 10:48 AM

Jon Gruden…Al Michaels would like to have a word with you in the broadcast booth…

4. bobbymack says: Apr 16, 2009 10:48 AM

No Millen Please
    How can anybody listen to what he has to say about football after what he did to my beloved Lions. I rather listen to Madden with the sound on before listening to Millen talk about Football

5. FloriosPhillyFan says: Apr 16, 2009 10:48 AM

If you like extra drama with your hot dogs, you’re getting it today.

6. john-o says: Apr 16, 2009 10:49 AM

Are Madden-Favre registered at Younkers, because I look for them in Des Moines on the 27th of this month?

7. occtown58 says: Apr 16, 2009 10:50 AM

How bout have Frank Caliendo provide the game anaylsis as John Madden

8. Slappy says: Apr 16, 2009 10:51 AM

Brett Farve retired, which means John Madden has nothing else to talk about.. He can take his obssession with Favuruh and retire to paradise with some thousand island dressing.

9. titans_fan says: Apr 16, 2009 10:52 AM

Who’s gonna replace him? Please no more experiments with non-sports folks.

10. bmsmelser says: Apr 16, 2009 10:53 AM

How fitting, John Madden follows Brett Favre every step, even into retirement.

11. FinFanMan13 says: Apr 16, 2009 10:53 AM

Thank goodness. I can start watching the game with the sound on again.

12. vikes02 says: Apr 16, 2009 10:55 AM

This needed to happen years ago.

13. DCNinerFan says: Apr 16, 2009 10:56 AM

Thank God. I don’t know how much longer I could take Madden… Well, it pretty much reached its peak of stupidity when Madden talked about Tampa’s Center’s butt sweat during the Colts/Bucs game 3 or 4 years back. It was a snoozer till the end when the Colts came back, but damn, he talked about that guys ass water for like 10 minutes…
    Some of John’s highlights… “The key to winning a game is to score more points.” “The best defense is the one that stops the ball.” “The only way your going to score a touchdown is to get the ball into the endzone.” Thanks John! I’ve been doing it wrong all along!
    Seriously, he was ok for a while, but he should have packed it in long ago.

14. RobJH says: Apr 16, 2009 10:58 AM

I think I’d rather have Matt Millen in the booth than Collinsworth. He’s another pompous ass.

15. raiderfan2k4 says: Apr 16, 2009 10:58 AM

who’s gonna say stupid things now

16. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Apr 16, 2009 10:58 AM

Wait a minute….now who is going to tell me that the team that scores the most points usually wins the game?

17. SpartaChris says: Apr 16, 2009 10:59 AM

Good Luck John! A class act and a legend who will be greatly missed.

18. HaveYouQuitYourDayJob says: Apr 16, 2009 10:59 AM

Maybe they should get Frank Caliendo to take his spot.
    Please, if Mike Vick won’t be allowed to play football in the NFL, then Matt Millen should not be allowed to broadcast for the NFL.

19. Wallace says: Apr 16, 2009 10:59 AM

In related news, Frank Caliendo is retiring from comedy.

20. irj915 says: Apr 16, 2009 11:00 AM

Damn. No Madden, no Farve, no Manning-to-Harrison, no Dungy Shannahan Gruden or Holmgren, are they even playing football this year?

21. rickyk1040 says: Apr 16, 2009 11:01 AM

22. geaux says: Apr 16, 2009 11:01 AM

I for one am sad to hear the news. I know it was inevitable, but Madden has become a fixture in the football landscape and a living legend as “the announcer” for the NFL. When you think of announcers for the NFL, he is the first who comes to mind. He’s the standard, and who FOX’s top analyst, Troy Aikman, clearly emulates.
    I grew up on Madden and Summerall, and have enjoyed Madden and Michaels for the last several years. The oversimplification that he presents helped me to learn and understand the game growing up, and I have appreciated that same approach through the years. He also has a genuine passion for the game that really comes through in his broadcasting. It is fitting for him to close his stellar career with what many regarded as one of his best calls in the most recent Super Bowl.
    Some will hate, but most people will find fault with whoever is calling the games in some way or form. I’m going to miss Madden’s familiar voice this fall; it simply will not be the same without him.

23. TimmySmith says: Apr 16, 2009 11:01 AM

come on madden, youre killing caliendo’s routine now

24. Mamba says: Apr 16, 2009 11:02 AM

Praising yourself is lame.

25. bobinpr says: Apr 16, 2009 11:02 AM

Clearly, John Madden knows more about football than any other announcer in the history of the game. It is not by accident that he is in the Hall of Fame, but because he was the coach with the best won/loss record in the history of the NFL. He will be greatly missed, but he deserves a chance to enjoy his remaining years with his family. Enjoy your retirement coach!

26. Bubby Brister says: Apr 16, 2009 11:03 AM

All jokes about Madden aside, do you really think the booth is better with freaking Collinsworth in it? You have to admit the man was at least entertaining — even if it was by way of his goofy mannerisms and expressions.

27. LiveNBreath Football says: Apr 16, 2009 11:03 AM

Love him or hate him, he made calling a game distinctly his own. It’s the end of an era.
    God Speed Mr. Madden. Take care and enjoy your post-broadcast life.

28. hayward giablommi says: Apr 16, 2009 11:04 AM

Wow, whats with all the haters? I loathe Favrah and listening to Madden wax poetic about him ‘just having fun out there’, but the man is a legend. You always knew it was a big game when Madden was calling it. He definitely has lost some miles off the fastball but nowhere near as much as his former parter Pat Summerall who went senile and embarrassed himself his last few years in the booth.
    they don’t make annoucers like they used to. Try listening to the insufferable Joe Buck if you dont believe me.

29. clemenza says: Apr 16, 2009 11:04 AM

i bet anything after philly legend harry kalas passed away this week john did some soul searching and decided this

30. ramathorn83 says: Apr 16, 2009 11:05 AM

“The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.” –John Madden

31. Boltschick says: Apr 16, 2009 11:05 AM

That’s a bummer. I was just watching replays of the Chargers/Broncos and Chargers/Colts games that he called. He is so awesome and I can’t imagine anyone filling his shoes.

32. Simdogga77 says: Apr 16, 2009 11:06 AM

He’s the man and I will miss him!
    Thanks for the great years John, the games won’t be the same without you.

33. NoFingChance says: Apr 16, 2009 11:08 AM

I effing HATE Collinsworth.. in fact i dont even know anyone that does like him.. his own father probably mutes the TV when he’s on

34. brauneyz says: Apr 16, 2009 11:08 AM

This sux! I love Madden.
    Enjoy your retirement, Coach. You will be greatly missed.

35. SkapePhin says: Apr 16, 2009 11:10 AM

What will EA Sports do now?
    Collinsworth 2010 just doesn’t have the same ring to it…

36. svnrdr says: Apr 16, 2009 11:11 AM

Maybe he can sign with the patriots so he get get one last ring.

37. kessdaman says: Apr 16, 2009 11:12 AM

Another opening for Florio? Maybe Pat Kordell White will be his Brett Favre

38. Alabama leprechaun says: Apr 16, 2009 11:12 AM

Brush up on your mic skills Florio

39. doctor diggs says: Apr 16, 2009 11:13 AM

This is awful. My favorite part of SNF was watching the shot where they zoom out and Madden is just sitting there like an idiot ready to do what he did best. I will miss that guy.

40. jsdarkman says: Apr 16, 2009 11:14 AM

The guy was sometimes annoying but he was always knowledgeable. Besides, 3 years ago I was listening to Joe Theismann and Paul McGuire on Sunday nights. You decide……..

41. bengalfan says: Apr 16, 2009 11:15 AM

This almost made me cry. I love John Madden. The stupidest thing xbox ever did was replace him and Al Michaels with that stupid “every team radio announcer” dude. “Boom! That’s why it’s called football!” This is a very sad day.

42. zachintosh says: Apr 16, 2009 11:16 AM

does this mean i can unmute the game now?

43. DarthPirate says: Apr 16, 2009 11:17 AM

“Here’s a guy, who when he retires, he stops working.” You will be missed Mr. Madden.

44. vikes02 says: Apr 16, 2009 11:18 AM

raiderfan2k4 says:
    who’s gonna say stupid things now
    Don’t worry raiderfan2k4, Florio is still around!
    P.S. Yes, Joe Buck is horrible, he can stay with baseball and never come back. By the way, does anyone else think that he and Aikman have a little man love going on?

45. JohnnyH says: Apr 16, 2009 11:21 AM

Maybe Don Merrideth, Dan Fouts and Dennis Miller can combine beards and broadcast as one of Maddens eyebrows, although they still couldn’t hold a candle (nor should they) to one of his eyebrows.
    We’re all going to miss you John. Be well.

46. Andy_Reid says: Apr 16, 2009 11:21 AM

47. neutral_like_sweden says: Apr 16, 2009 11:21 AM

This is a truly sad day for the NFL. On that note, I’d like to see Parcells take a swing at it.

48. WalrusCP says: Apr 16, 2009 11:22 AM

This should have happened 3-5 years ago. Madden simply contributed little to nothing to game broadcasts in recent years. Time to finally bring in some good, new talent.

49. jackyb says: Apr 16, 2009 11:30 AM

The more important question is what will happen to his video game series? I do NOT want to play Collinsworth ’10!

50. unstable2day says: Apr 16, 2009 11:30 AM

Does anyone else think that Madden retiring might have been influenced by Harry Kalas passing away? Granted, he had plans (good call Florio), but both were 73 and spent the bulk of their life on the road…
    At least Madden goes out on HIS TERMS. All the best John!

51. texasPHINSfan says: Apr 16, 2009 11:34 AM

i’m upset by this. madden, as crazy as his words can be sometimes, was an EPIC color guy.
    he has given us so many good memories, hilarious bits, everything. i will greatly miss him, for sure!
    now for some levity: why not get Caliendo in there to pretend to be him one game? just for fun? heck if they can give dennis miller a whole year in the booth (which i actually enjoyed), can’t they give Caliendo ONE game? That would be great, i mean seriously…..
    We’ll miss you Madden. Hope you come back and do a guest game hosting gig every once in awhile. :)

52. Messiah says: Apr 16, 2009 11:35 AM

NFL Announcing got just a little better today.
    Hey Madden, Any chance you can drag Dierdorf with you?
    Good luck Madden.

53. y2jdilemma says: Apr 16, 2009 11:37 AM

“Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they’re bigger than everybody else, and that’s what makes them the biggest guys on the field.”
    He was sometimes annoying, sometimes ridiculous, to the point of being a parody of himself, there was never a doubt that he knew and loved the game.
    I loved complaining about him, but somehow, am going to miss him.
    And yeah, Collinsworth is terrible.

54. ShockAndAweD-LineNYG says: Apr 16, 2009 11:40 AM

he retired because bretts not coming back!

55. Enrgy2Burn says: Apr 16, 2009 11:41 AM

And there was much rejoicing… Yaaaaaaay!!!
    Now, any way to convince Troy Aikman and Joe Buck to call it quits or is that asking too much?!?!?

56. phillyburdzfan says: Apr 16, 2009 11:46 AM

Is Madden gonna emulate his idol and undo his retirement sometime in June?

57. Eddie Drycleaner says: Apr 16, 2009 11:49 AM

Well this sucks… I know most of you hate Madden, but he was great. Football will never be the same again

58. Rawsmoove says: Apr 16, 2009 11:52 AM

HES GONNA RETIRE!!!! HIP HIP HOORAY LOL That is great news, hope he doesn’t get any tips from brett favre…

59. zygi milf says: Apr 16, 2009 11:56 AM

Wallace says:
    April 16th, 2009 at 10:59 am
    In related news, Frank Caliendo is retiring from comedy.
    Wait – Caliendo is a comedian?

60. east96st says: Apr 16, 2009 11:58 AM

It seemed to me that he was never the same after he dumped Summerall. Summerall had his faults, but he did bring out the best Madden had to offer. Now we’ll be stuck listening to how no one knows more about football than Collinsworth.

61. albertperk says: Apr 16, 2009 12:00 PM

62. OZZ13 says: Apr 16, 2009 12:03 PM

If Collinsworthless takes his spot… SNF will forever be muted in my household.

63. milehighbrownsfan says: Apr 16, 2009 12:07 PM

sorry to see you go dude, collinsworth will be great

64. researchALLwars says: Apr 16, 2009 12:09 PM

65. xskippzx says: Apr 16, 2009 12:21 PM

Bring back Pat Summerall!

66. field of corn says: Apr 16, 2009 12:21 PM

madden was a great announcer, yeah he said some basic things that everyone should know (though everyone doesnt) but i am certain that he just dumbed down to the audience’s lowest common denominator. people bitch about madden because he is real basic or points out wierd stuff then they bitch about guys like billick who are too technical. i’d much rather listen to madden or billick do color for the game instead of guys like kornheiser, aikman, pearson or even simms.

67. buzmeg says: Apr 16, 2009 12:24 PM

Matt Millen is a very good football analyst, Before he took that lengthy vacation in Detroit he was one of my favorites. He should definitely be considered as a replacement for Madden.

68. vincelombardi says: Apr 16, 2009 12:32 PM

bobinpr, yeah he has almost as many super bowl wins as the man who replaced him tom flores, so i guess flores should be in also?

69. JimmySmith says: Apr 16, 2009 12:37 PM

This is the first sign that Brett Favre is really going to stay retired this time.

70. Tyler E. says: Apr 16, 2009 12:40 PM

Collinsworth is a suck ass. I can see it now… “Oh that Tom Brady is the greatest athlete to ever live… I wonder if he’ll let me see im undress in the locker room…” with that annoying accent of course.

71. berlew says: Apr 16, 2009 12:42 PM

;ohn is the man…I don’t know about anyone else but I’m going to miss those maddenisms a whole lot..he’s like a crazy grandfather who has been drinking and has alzheimers calling a game…what could be better??

72. joetoronto says: Apr 16, 2009 12:47 PM

These comments are a real microcosm of PFT.
    The haters just can’t wait to dump on someone, anyone, but they’re drowned out by those with some class and decency, thank God.
    Those still in their first pair of shoes only know Madden by his video game and his love for Brett Favre, while those of us who have been around for a while know just how good he was, first as a Hall of Fame coach, and then as a tremendous color man in the booth.
    I will be some kind of happy to have him take over the Raiders until Mark Davis is ready.
    Good luck to all current and future HC’s out there, 103-32-7 will most likely never be broken.
    All the best, John.

73. footballnut says: Apr 16, 2009 12:49 PM

I guess the only way I am going to see yellow scribbles on my TV is if my 3 year old gets a hold of the French’s Mustard bottle…

74. Favre2012 says: Apr 16, 2009 1:01 PM

Thank God. I don’t care how much he knows about football, he’s impossible to listen to. He never got much of that knowledge out.

75. SpartaChris says: Apr 16, 2009 1:13 PM

Seems to me people will bitch regardless of who’s on the air. How about you just sit back, watch the game, and enjoy a nice can of STFU in the process?

76. crewfish13 says: Apr 16, 2009 1:14 PM

John wasn’t perfect, but there were few who could do it better. Hats off to one of the great figures in NFL history and a great career.

77. The Dox says: Apr 16, 2009 1:20 PM

You know, I was never a huge fan of Madden in the booth and his coaching days were before my time, but nonetheless this is pretty upsetting.
    Like them or not, it’s a bit rattling when an icon fades away – Madden has called games for my entire damn life (26 yrs). Maybe the first poster was right about a potential position with the Raiders, but having read his statement, it sounds like he’s going to actually retire.
    So 103 wins, 65 million copies of Madden games sold, and a 72.5% win percentage…
    I bid you adieu, Mr. Madden. I will definitely make a turducken and raise a cup for the man this weekend.

78. Boltschick says: Apr 16, 2009 1:24 PM

I loved it when he discussed Peyton Manning’s hair during the Colts’ playoff game. That was a classic.

79. meekdog78 says: Apr 16, 2009 1:26 PM

pat summerall: “i’ll drink to that!”

80. thecurseofmapco says: Apr 16, 2009 1:49 PM

John Madden put the turd in turducken. He offered no insight into the game of football, only the most basic of observations. The only advantage to his grating voice is that it was often muffled by his tremendous jowls.

81. jcinstpete says: Apr 16, 2009 1:50 PM

He was a great Coach who had some of the most colorful teams ever to step on an NFL field. He made the game fun when he announced and will be missed by those of us old enough to appreciate him.

82. Slow Joe says: Apr 16, 2009 2:51 PM

I’ll miss his voice in the booth. Have a happy retirement, John.
    P.S. Yes, he was slipping the last few years, no doubt, but come on: he was in his 70s!

83. empty13 says: Apr 16, 2009 2:57 PM

84. eklypse69 says: Apr 16, 2009 3:21 PM

zygi milf says:
    April 16th, 2009 at 11:56 am
    Wallace says:
    April 16th, 2009 at 10:59 am
    In related news, Frank Caliendo is retiring from comedy.
    “Wait – Caliendo is a comedian?”
    TRUE THAT! The guy’s about as funny as having a kidney stone lodged in your urethra.
    I’m gonna miss John terribly. Even when he was making stupid goofy comments, he was at least entertaining. And for every 1 dumb thing he said, he made hundreds of great analysis comments on the game.
    What’s Collinsworth gonna do? The man has no talent, he has the excitement of a drunk snail and is about as bland as a rice cake. They’ll never fill Madden’s shoes, but at least get someone who’s half-assed on par. I’d rather see Gannon or Flores than Collinsworth.

85. High Spyder says: Apr 16, 2009 4:09 PM

I can’t wait to play Collinsworth ’10.

86. fumble1 says: Apr 16, 2009 4:52 PM

I think they found love letters he wrote Favre in a cabin fire….

87. Alpheratz says: Apr 16, 2009 5:03 PM

Thank God.
    I’ve never understood what was so great about the blubbering Madden.

88. grandmachine says: Apr 16, 2009 11:26 PM

Favre retired. Madden had to leave.