Ratliff To Steelers

Unrestricted free agent defensive back Keiwan Ratliff has agreed to a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to a league source.
Ratliff recorded 32 tackles and two interceptions last season in four starts for the Indianapolis Colts.
The former University of Florida standout has registered 136 career tackles and five interceptions during his stints with the Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Cincinnati Bengals.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Ratliff To Steelers”
  1. 13hater says: Apr 24, 2009 11:51 AM

Wow! This changes the draft, doesn’t it?

2. Manofsteel says: Apr 24, 2009 11:56 AM

Looks like the Steelers are preparing to draft a plethora of linemen, and possibly another linebacker. They’re definitely in a position to draft best player available. Just depends who’s left on the board when they are on the clock.

3. pimpinnati says: Apr 24, 2009 12:01 PM

He’s cut before the season starts. Dude sucks.

4. BOO3LEGS says: Apr 24, 2009 12:01 PM

he will be a pro-bowler this year

5. ChrisJNelson says: Apr 24, 2009 12:04 PM

I don’t understand why you post stories as being “reported by a league source” when it’s already on the internet by media outlets. Google news is your friend.

6. icase81 says: Apr 24, 2009 12:06 PM

When I saw the headline I thought Brett Ratliff. I also thought this made no sense since the Steelers just resigned Charlie Batch. I was wrong in this thinking.

7. jackinthebox99 says: Apr 24, 2009 12:15 PM

I’m finally a member… I expect to be around here quite a bit.
    I like this signing. I was starting to think that we might be forced into picking a corner early on, when there is a lot of talent at that position on the back side of the draft.
    Does anybody know if we are able to cut Big Max if he won’t sign a long-term deal, and still be able to recoup the cap space? I was thinking how nice it might be to trade up for Oher, Smith, or Britton and let them duke it out with Hills and a FA for the LT spot, but the way it stands, we don’t have cap room for that high of a draft pick.

8. Alabama leprechaun says: Apr 24, 2009 12:25 PM

How many NFL players are not college standouts?

9. joepinion says: Apr 24, 2009 12:45 PM

jackinthebox99 :
    No, a signed Franchise tender is guaranteed.

10. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Apr 24, 2009 12:48 PM

Now if the Steelers can just get themselves a decent quarterback…

11. MaineMan says: Apr 24, 2009 1:02 PM

Doesn’t change much for PIT, but it might mean that Indy goes CB in RD-1 and WR in RD-2, instead of the other way around.

12. TheCoop says: Apr 24, 2009 1:06 PM

If this guy can read, he’ll raise the literacy rate of the Steeler defense.
    Oh wait, he went to Florida.

13. Kurt M. Weber says: Apr 24, 2009 1:41 PM

Keiwan Ratliff is the guy who almost cost Indianapolis the game against Detroit this past season when he muffed two punts…

14. dustin_chandler says: Apr 24, 2009 2:09 PM

Oh damn, this thread scared me. I thought it was the GOOD Ratliff… that plays for the Cowboys.

15. Asanine Comment says: Apr 24, 2009 2:42 PM

“I’m finally a member… I expect to be around here quite a bit.”
    Well, Whoop-dee-doo

16. Bubby Brister says: Apr 24, 2009 2:44 PM

“How many NFL players are not college standouts?”
    Willie Parker didn’t even play in college… but that’s just the first name off the top of my head.

17. right-here-i-say says: Apr 24, 2009 2:51 PM

Sounds like they just wanted a player that can sub instead of a rookie.

18. Asanine Comment says: Apr 24, 2009 3:04 PM

Willie Parker…”He attended the University of North Carolina. In his first year he had some success with 355 yards on 84 carries”

19. steeltown pride says: Apr 24, 2009 4:55 PM

Still want to see who the Steelers draft . It will be one of these 4 players in the first round . In no perticular order ………….
    Tyson Jackson
    Alex Mack
    Alphonso Smith
    Percy Harvin .

20. rtko says: Apr 24, 2009 4:57 PM

How many NFL players are not college standouts?
    Matt Cassel
    Antonio Gates
    Marcus Pollard
    Simeon Rice
    aforementioned Willie Parker
    Sav Rocca
    Darren Bennett

21. rtko says: Apr 24, 2009 5:20 PM

not Rice. I meant Eric Swann.

22. TheEE says: Apr 24, 2009 5:27 PM

Where did the Steelers find the cap room for this? I thought that the official party line is that they had to cut Russel to sign Batch. If so, then there’s no room to add Ratliff. What gives?

23. SixburghDynasty says: Apr 24, 2009 6:56 PM

@ TheEE
    good question…doesn’t really make sense to me since the Steelers were like 400k under the cap the other day. I think they might be releasing Foote to start Timmons next season but who knows.

24. jackinthebox99 says: Apr 24, 2009 7:12 PM

Ike Taylor restructured to make room under the cap. It’s starting to look like Mr. Foote is going to be the next one out the door. I don’t see any way that he makes the team this year with our cap issues.

25. steelymcDUI says: Apr 24, 2009 7:51 PM

The cap room came from restructing Ike’s contract.

26. Umdayo says: Apr 24, 2009 10:07 PM

EverybodygotAIDS: I have a question for you…
    Why do you want the Steelers to downgrade themselves to a decent quarterback.?
    They have one who has proven to be great when needed and he’s got 2 rings.
    Do I detect a little jealousy?

27. capa says: Apr 24, 2009 10:09 PM

Add James Harrison to your list of college nobodies too

28. shuxion says: Apr 24, 2009 10:26 PM

@ Alabama
    I don’t think Brady was really a stand out.

29. praveen says: Apr 25, 2009 6:54 AM

If they didn’t overpay their mediocre OL by millions, they would have had a ton of capspace. They should have locked up Starks last year for a multiyear deal. Giving him back to back tags just ensures that he won’t sign a reasonable multi year deal.
    Giving Colon a high tender was the height of stupidity. You could have gotten away with a medium tender and saved more than 500K. Even if there was a small chance someone would have given you a 2nd rounder to sign Colon and Steelers didn’t match it, what was the big deal, you still get an extra 2nd rounder.
    And then the ridiculous 4M a year being paid to Kemoeatu. I wonder if Jets made that offer to screw with the Steelers cap.
    Steelers have been great in other areas, but their OL payscale is mind boggling.