Pat White Is Ready For The Wildcat

Former West Virginia quarterback Pat White was widely believed to be an ideal candidate for the Dolphins’ Wildcat formation, a change-of-pace attack that helped fuel a ten-game improvement in 2008.
And the Fins apparently agreed with that belief, taking White in round two.
White is now saying all the right things about his new team, and his new role.
“I have heard a lot about the Wildcat, and I am happy to be a part of it,” White said during a post-draft conference call.
“I can play multiple positions, so I’ll see where I end up.  I’m ready for anything.”
He sees some similarities in the Wildcat attack and the college system in which he spent nearly four full years as the starter.
“It reminded me of West Virginia a little bit, when the defense goes one way and you shoot someone out the other way,” White said.  “It keeps the defense on its toes.”
But he also wants to eventually become a starting quarterback, which might come as news to last year’s second-rounder, Chad Henne.  That said, White realizes he still has plenty of work to do.
“I need to get better in all aspects:  dropping back, completing the ball, reading defenses, etc.,” White said.  “I feel that I have to get better every day, and that’s what I am going to try and do. . . .   I definitely still have confidence in myself.  I’m looking for the opportunity.  I got a great opportunity down in Miami.  I never doubt myself.  I know that I’ve got to keep working and try to get better.  That I’m willing to do.”

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Pat White Is Ready For The Wildcat”
  1. rimmerballz says: Apr 25, 2009 11:00 PM

i was expecting a lot longer piece than that… come on, its god (i mean pat white)

2. esafille says: Apr 25, 2009 11:00 PM

haha welcome to Miami Dolphins fanhood

3. arosen36 says: Apr 25, 2009 11:00 PM

florio brown-nosing pat white article #1

4. apeck says: Apr 25, 2009 11:00 PM

Gotta love it. A WVU QB competing with a UM QB for the starting job. Pat does’t stand a chance, sorry Florio, but the most he will see the ball is when Henne is throwing it to him.

5. JP-Phins fan says: Apr 25, 2009 11:09 PM

As A Dolphin fan, I am as baffled as can be.
    PAT WHITE IN THE WILD CAT IS NOT THE WILD CAT…IT’S PAT WHITE AT QB.
    Why don’t people get that? Man…

6. kirbysfriend says: Apr 25, 2009 11:10 PM

i hope this guy is a success. he’s fun to watch and to cheer for. just seems like a guy i’d like to be a fan of. shotgun!

7. Slow Joe says: Apr 25, 2009 11:13 PM

LOL!
    Glad you can make fun of yourself on this one.

8. savocabol1 says: Apr 25, 2009 11:17 PM

wow what a suprise, one hour after he gets drafted a long and boring article about pat white comes out. YAWN. Be on the lookout for the practice squad scrimmages if you want to see this guy get any NFL action.

9. kaos2288 says: Apr 25, 2009 11:17 PM

Yeaaaahhhhhh Florio atleast now when i have to read about your man-crush I get to be interested because its my team and i can’t even describe to you how shocked I was… Not in a bad way but never in a million years would i have thought that the Parcells run regime would take an ultra-versatile weapon like Pat … I sure hope he is as good as you say he is!!!

10. bigbaldpapahawk says: Apr 25, 2009 11:18 PM

No article you could post here today could be as good as the Raiders’ draft they had today.
    I would like to see this site dedicate an entire day to writing “WTF” articles about Al Davis.

11. bigbaldpapahawk says: Apr 25, 2009 11:19 PM

Seriously….

12. Dolfan29 says: Apr 25, 2009 11:22 PM

I’ve been waiting for this post all day Florio! About time!

13. fanofthegame says: Apr 25, 2009 11:28 PM

How White slipped that far into the second round, I’ll never know. Savvy move by Parcells. I’ll never understand why stereotypes play such a large factor in the NFL. No, he’s not a 6-5 pocket-passer, and he looks more like a WR…but he’s a PLAYER. Football is about making plays, and that’s all Pat White does. Did scouts not watch the UNC game (being a fan of the Tar Heels, the memories are painful)? Not only did all the other teams miss out on a tremendous prospect, but you really have to think that the stars were lined up for this pick. One of the most dangerous passing/throwing QB prospect in a Wildcat offense…Wow. The Dolphins are going to be fun to watch!

14. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Apr 25, 2009 11:29 PM

Pat White is ready for prime time!
    Sincerely,
    Woody Dantzler

15. nashmax says: Apr 25, 2009 11:37 PM

Bill Parcells and Dan Henning are writing a new book, “Where the Wildcats Roam.”
    Coming soon to a stadium near you!
    GO FISH

16. south-fl-steel says: Apr 25, 2009 11:43 PM

hey florio, if you’d like for me to try to find your boy pat a nice, fat, supple nipple to suck on down here, since he’ll be so far away from you now, i’ll see what i can do.

17. WVinDC says: Apr 25, 2009 11:46 PM

for this to be the only post on Pat White is greatly disappointing… i might purchase your book in spite of you now…

18. rebdaddie says: Apr 25, 2009 11:54 PM

Welcome to the Fins Family Florio. I’ve been a part of it for over 30 years (started in 1970). Pat White is going to do some great things in the “Wildcat”. See you and the 68 VW at training camp in August. Please don’t bring copies of your book to give away.

19. philacane13 says: Apr 25, 2009 11:59 PM

Dolphins bed sheets? That is SO bromantic.

20. Eat it Florio says: Apr 26, 2009 12:43 AM

DOES THIS MEAN WE GET EQUAL PRESS WITH YOUR PATSIES NOW FLORIO ???

21. FinsFan3723 says: Apr 26, 2009 12:46 AM

Good draft day for miami. Vontae Davis is going to be a huge impact for there backfield and so will Sean Smith. I’m not to sure on this Pat White pick. They could’ve had Clint Sintim or Connor Barwin. They did add Cameron Wake so it wasn’t the most needed position but Bill and Co. love there pass rushers. Hopfully Pat White will be able to contribute and stick around. Miami should go get Ramses Barden, Duke Robinson, Michael Johnson, Jason Phillips, or Get a trade done for Aquan Boldin and bring JT back!!!!

22. MarkB says: Apr 26, 2009 12:53 AM

23. FINishedPerfect says: Apr 26, 2009 12:54 AM

Finally, Florio will show some love to the Fins being be have a WVU product.

24. Munchlaxatives says: Apr 26, 2009 12:56 AM

They’ll match your Texans nightgown perfectly.

25. FINishedPerfect says: Apr 26, 2009 12:56 AM

Finally Florio might show the Fins some love, we took your WVU product he better not be a bust.

26. adamsilver says: Apr 26, 2009 1:15 AM

“In an unrelated development, our Dolphins hat, jersey, slippers, and bed sheets are due to arrive on Wednesday.”
    Damn straight! And my Pat White jersey will be in soon after!

27. texasPHINSfan says: Apr 26, 2009 1:24 AM

Florio now a fan of the Fins? Heresy! ;-) :-P

28. tmny99 says: Apr 26, 2009 1:24 AM

As a Dolfan, I can’t be more happy with this pick. We created the wildcat and now we’re going to do so much more with it. Great pick Parcells and Co.

29. kessdaman says: Apr 26, 2009 1:42 AM

He’s a left handed Kordell, call him Gash.

30. Borf says: Apr 26, 2009 2:01 AM

Mayocks got me pretty amped up about this pick

31. serecovery says: Apr 26, 2009 2:02 AM

Well, as a Miami Dolphins season ticket holder, I can tell you that the reaction down here was mixed at best about that selection so early in the 2nd round. I’ve been reading a few local newspaper blogs about the fact that the Dolphins have really been looking to take the Wildcat to the next level this year and to really incorporate more of the spread offense in the NFL. I’m ambivalent about it, but, do I know more than Bill Parcells, Tony Sporano and Jeff Ireland? Of course not.
    We are ecstatic that we got Vontae Davis with the 25th pick. I’ve looked at at least 15 mock drafts since that selection and all of them had Davis going anywhere from 10-15, but not after that. At 25, we got a solid cornerback.

32. gmoney1231 says: Apr 26, 2009 2:06 AM

Pat White will win more hardware than Staphord and Dirty Sanchez combined!

33. runinouttalife says: Apr 26, 2009 2:09 AM

i bet if you try hard enough they could be comped….

34. spanky07 says: Apr 26, 2009 2:15 AM

He’s scared for sure. I’ll give him a few years and he’s a punt returner, assuming he doesn’t fight dogs, get hooked on crack or kill somebody while drunk.

35. notkrisroe says: Apr 26, 2009 2:48 AM

Miami had the best day 1.

36. We_Miss_You_Dan says: Apr 26, 2009 3:55 AM

I would have liked to see a LB taken somewhere early, but shoring up the secondary was a good move, and anything that helps our “gimmick” offense go is good. Hopefully it pans out!

37. russraven says: Apr 26, 2009 6:23 AM

Wow it took almost 5 hours before a WV football story.

38. SirSuperSouthern says: Apr 26, 2009 7:07 AM

I stated here that Pat White wouldn’t be taken before the fifth round. I was wrong. Way to go Pat, good luck with that Wildcat…

39. wouldulikebeer says: Apr 26, 2009 7:29 AM

awesome, Fins get Pat White and Florio it is a great day in the NFL.

40. Smush Rodrigez says: Apr 26, 2009 7:53 AM

Florio, stop dreaming about cross country skiing while laying between Pat White and Steve Slaton and update your site!!!

41. screaming sheep says: Apr 26, 2009 8:12 AM

Oh come on, enough already

42. buddywiser says: Apr 26, 2009 8:15 AM

Hope he has more success IN South Florida than he had AGAINST South Florida.

43. clint taurus says: Apr 26, 2009 8:54 AM

“Pat White Is Ready For The Wildcat”
    I assumed that “wildcat” was some sort of euphemism for an act between a football player and a blogger involving olive oil, cream cheese and a copy of “Quarterback of the Future”…

44. Ralphie says: Apr 26, 2009 9:15 AM

“The second time the Patriots played the Dolphins, they shut down the Wildcat – and their defence had problems last year. Once the league has a year’s worth of film on any gimmick, they usually shut it down. ”
    Exactly. You’ve got to get through NE first and BB has this gimmick figured out. Note that he’s not good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL and he would have to take several years to learn to be a receiver. Wasted pick at 2nd round. Fins could have had White later on if they wanted him this bad just by being patient and drafted for need at this slot. Nobody will be drafting next year for the gimmicky “Wildcat” either because this year it will be shut down. Parcells outsmarts himself every few years, or most likely got sucked in by the rumors that BB and the Pats put out that they were “enamored” with White. The same bullshit they did last year with the Jets to make them pick Ghoslton and waste a pick. White may possibly make a nice punt returner if he’s still with the Fins in 3 years.

45. Vox Veritas says: Apr 26, 2009 10:07 AM

Drafted a round or two early.

46. Mistress Rachael says: Apr 26, 2009 2:50 PM

I like White as 3rd down back, slot receiver, kick returner etc….but the Wildcat served it’s purpose lasr season…and will be a minimal gimmick play for the Dolphins.
    Lets hope theyre improved enough to beat teams w/o gimmicks…

47. finsbooyah says: Apr 27, 2009 9:16 AM

I don’t know what to think about this. Pick 44 seems way to high for him. If we took him in round three, I’d be all for it. But Sintim and Barwin were still on the board.