Raiders Sunday Minicamp Report

Here’s a look at the Oakland Raiders’ minicamp. . . .
First-round WR Darrius Heyward-Bey dropped three consecutive passes at one point.
Heyward-Bey sat out the afternoon practice with an undisclosed injury that coach Tom Cable declined to address.
DT Tommy Kelly planted OG Cooper Carlisle on the ground a couple of times in non-contact drills.
Mario Henderson lined up with the first-team offense at LT, ahead of free agent acquisition Khalif Barnes.
DE Derrick Burgess was sidelined again with the flu as well as WR Javon Walker (knee).
Passing game coordinator Ted Tollner and defensive coordinator John Marshall aren’t allowed to speak to the media at the minicamp.
Raiders managing general partner Al Davis attended the practice session.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Raiders Sunday Minicamp Report”
  1. BuckFutter says: May 10, 2009 9:15 AM

“First-round WR Darrius Heyward Bey dropped three consecutive passes at one point.”
    “QB JaMarcus Russell remains inconsistent with his accuracy, sailing some throws.”
    =
    Hilarious season approaching. I wouldn’t be surprised if they break the Lions record for losses in a season this year.

2. 12thman says: May 10, 2009 9:19 AM

That Heyward-Bey injury was a chunk of his ass missing.

3. south-fl-steel says: May 10, 2009 10:54 AM

if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it really matter?
    same can be said for the raiders.

4. FumbleNuts says: May 10, 2009 12:05 PM

Will Javon Walker will teach him?
    May day, May day, Jeff Garcia please save us!

5. 777 says: May 10, 2009 12:10 PM

Heyward-Bey’s injury is hurt feelings😦

6. INVAIDUH says: May 10, 2009 12:19 PM

If it was August I’d be nervous.
    Despite what Florios slight shoulders are reporting good things
    occured as well. This isnt the only site.
    For BuckFutter….Just stick to your BuckFutter dump team.

7. INVAIDUH says: May 10, 2009 12:21 PM

Again Loafs… It’s May. Step off.

8. D--1 says: May 10, 2009 1:19 PM

I love how every bullet point in this article is something negative about the Raiders. Normally I would look upon that journalism as biased, but in this case it’s the Raiders. So it’s probably just true. Don’t be surprised when Heyward-Bey is out of the NFL in 3-4 years. I feel bad for Russell becasue I think he does have talent and could legitimately be a good QB. The problem is that it may very well be literally imposible for anyone to succeed with the Raiders, particularly on offense. The Raiders are by far the most disfunctional scatterbrained incompetent franchise in all of sports. They’re probably the most incompetent organization in the last 25-30, if not longer. I only limit it to 25-30 years because that’s all that I can look back on at my age. It really is quite astounding how bad they are from top to bottom. Every draft pick is the wrong pick. Every coaching hire is the wrong hire. Every free agent signing is a disaster. They literally do everything wrong. I don’t hate the Raiders, to some extent I almost wish I did. I certainly wish that every team I hated ran itself like the Raiders do. Unfortunately, I’m a Raiders fan instead.

9. Killryandead says: May 10, 2009 3:16 PM

Are you forgetting the Raiders 3 Super Bowl Rings? Numerous division championships, and prestigious record in the 80’s and 70’s? We also were decent in the early 90’s, and went to a Super Bowl in 2002. I don’t really know how you could call yourself a Raider fan and write something like that, without taking any facts into account. To call the Raiders more incompetent than a joke organization like The Cardinals, Lions, Bengals, Browns, Texans, etc is ridiculous.

10. Elaw6 says: May 10, 2009 4:05 PM

This is really negative but as one poster put it, this is only the month of May.
    Give DHB a little time to adjust.
    I think the football world knew that Jeff Garcia was going to be the starter once his deal was finalized.

11. gohardraider says: May 10, 2009 4:21 PM

Dont let him fool you Killryandead , he or she is no Raiders fan….D-1 do your homework before you post..You can take all the AFC Championship games that the Donkys, Chiefs and Chargers have played in and add them all together and it still dont add up to how many the Raiders have been in!!..What is your real team? I think Raider haters are starting to get a little spooked with the changes we are making…..The AFC West is up for grabs…And the Raiders are stacked with young talented HUNGRY players….Laugh now while you can…We will have the last laugh we always do…..Real Raiders fans feed on us against the world! D-1 since your a Raiders fan I would love to take you to a game some time, my seats are in the Blackhole…..The Raider Nation would love to HAVE you….

12. dfranklin4044 says: May 10, 2009 4:36 PM

are we really getting this dramatic with the nfl that were putting so much attention on one practice in may?! ITS MAY PEOPLE!! They don’t even have pads on! The Raiders have sucked the last few years and they probably will suck again this year but I can’t believe people are freaking out over a minicamp practice.

13. BuckFutter says: May 10, 2009 4:51 PM

“Killryandead says:
    May 10th, 2009 at 3:16 pm
    D–1 is that post a joke? The Raiders the most incompetent organization in sports for the past 30 years? Did you know a few years ago we had the best overall recrod of all time, in any sport? I think the Dolphins just recently took that title though.”
    You have to be pretty damn bad to erase 42 or 43 years of success in only 6 years…..the Raiders dropped from 1st to 4th (could be lower, it’s a tough stat to find)…..especially when one of the teams that jumped them posted a 1-15 season in that time frame.

14. BuckFutter says: May 10, 2009 4:55 PM

Oh, got it….
    Team’s better than the Raiders .555 WP:
    Dolphins .583
    Bears .579
    Cowboys .578
    Packers .556
    And that’s it…..Oh wait, no it’s not…
    The Cleveland Browns are at .558.
    So congrats….you’re “historically significant” team has gone from 1st to 6th in the span of about 6 years….and been leapt by a team that has gone 33-63 in the same time period.

15. madstork43 says: May 10, 2009 6:29 PM

To paraphrase “The Answer,” PRACTICE?!? we’re talkin’ about PRACTICE, MAN!!”
    UNDERWEAR PRACTICES at that!! Fans of other teams should worry about their own team(s), and Raider fans need to settle down. Raiders have a lot of young, talented ballplayers on the roster, and real Raider fans might just have something to cheer about this year!!!

16. JSpicoli says: May 10, 2009 8:03 PM

this is what happens when you give star trek fans access to May practices.
    Keep painting yourself in the corner haters.

17. JSpicoli says: May 10, 2009 8:05 PM

Since their inception as a team, the Raiders have been a part of more historic and thrilling games than any other single frachise.

18. junior says: May 10, 2009 8:33 PM

It’s the first minicamp of the year, relax. Yes, this is a biased post because there were many positives that happened also, including some great catches by DHB.

19. Brewster says: May 10, 2009 8:35 PM

Killryandead says:
    May 10th, 2009 at 3:16 pm
    ____________________
    Last time I checked the Texans had the the 6th highest franchise valuation in the NFL ($1.2B) and are the newest team in the league. The Raiders, despite being in existance for over 40+ years were near the bottom with the Bengals and a few other disfunctional franchises.
    I don’t think the Texans qualify as a joke organization.
    Also, your suggestion that D-1 “didn’t take ANY facts into account is not exactly accurate either. The Raiders draft pick history is incredibly bad over the past 10-20 years. Coaches come and go at Al Davis’s whim.
    I feel bad for you die-hard Raider fans. As long as al Davis is in control of the team you’ve got a lot more suffering ahead of you.

20. BuckFutter says: May 10, 2009 8:56 PM

“junior says:
    May 10th, 2009 at 8:33 pm
    Hey BuckFutter, are you aware that the NFL hasn’t gone to a 17 game season? So tell me how the Raiders would break the record for losses in a season?”
    That’s called hyperbole, and is used as a humorous punctuation to my statement about just how bad the Raiders would be.
    It’s also referred to in some circles as a “joke”, and is sometimes enjoyed by people who have a “sense of humor”.

21. BuckFutter says: May 10, 2009 9:03 PM

“Brewster says:
    May 10th, 2009 at 8:35 pm
    I feel bad for you die-hard Raider fans.”
    I’d feel worse for them if they weren’t so blind and….less than intelligent. You have to respect fans that stand by a bad team….but Raiders fans defend everything they do, and just look stupid the worse the team gets. They are loud and obnoxious and their sense of entitlement is absurd. Your team doesn’t deserve respect. It’s a joke. Yell and scream about it all you want, but until they can actually do something on the field, they’re going to get dumped on, and so are you, because they deserve it, and so do you. Take a lesson from the Browns fans….they are loyal, and smart enough to keep their mouths shut and suffer in relative silence.

22. raideralexander says: May 10, 2009 11:22 PM

LOL … that’s right the Raiders have the worst record in the last 6 years BUT they also had the BEST 3 year record (2000-02) in the NFL before their fall.
    For all the Al Davis haters … if you know anyone who knows or has talked to Al Davis … they will tell you nobody knows more about football than the legend himself. The man takes gambles and lately he has run into some bad luck … Da Raiders will be back and real soon.

23. JSpicoli says: May 11, 2009 4:31 AM

You doont deserve respect. You are no fan, just a fan of hating.
    Sorry for not taking your version of things as gospel. Gee, can you forgive me, bestower of entitlements?

24. madstork43 says: May 11, 2009 6:42 AM

Thanks, Spicoli—I thought I was alone in here!! I guess we should just talk Raiders over at David White’s blog—I am Chargersrot over there. One more thing; Why is EVERYBODY commenting on the Raiders??? I know I could give a spit about other teams’ offseason progress. Maybe they’re starting to hear footsteps???? ***GO RAIDERS***