Dolphins Looking For More From Ginn

As he enters his third NFL season, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. is determined to prove that the team didn’t make a mistake by not bolstering the receiving corps with a veteran or a high draft pick this offseason.
“They didn’t need to get someone else,” Ginn told Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.  “We already have a good receiver corps.”
Last month, Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland reiterated that they are looking for more production from Ginn one season removed from catching 56 passes for 790 yards.
“It’s time for Ted Ginn to really show what he was drafted here to do,” Ireland said of the former first-round draft pick from Ohio State.
According to the report, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano wants Ginn to improve at running after the catch and stop running out of bounds when extra yardage could be gained.
“The other thing I’d like to see him grow the most at is his knowledge of the coverage,” Sparano said.
Ginn also received some advice from new Dolphins cornerback Eric Green, who informed Ginn that he needs to upgrade his skills at separating from press coverage.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Dolphins Looking For More From Ginn”
  1. PackDaddy says: May 24, 2009 11:49 AM

ginn has had plenty of time. he’s destined for the to fit the daunte stallworth mold of fast and talented but inconsistent. won’t be better than a complementary guy

2. We_Miss_You_Dan says: May 24, 2009 12:08 PM

I really thought mid-season that Ginn had gotten over the whole running out of bounds thing, but it came back at the end of the year. He has improved a lot at catching over the middle, which was his other concern when he was drafted. He made a few great catches last year, one that should have never been thrown into double coverage for a TD, against the Seahawks, I think.

3. Slow Joe says: May 24, 2009 12:10 PM

Was this in the form of smack talk?

4. pheasbo says: May 24, 2009 12:10 PM

Taken from the popular “No Shit” file.

5. guvsta says: May 24, 2009 12:13 PM

**************************************************
    He’s had two years- plenty of WRs breakout in their 3rd season. Not everyone is Randy Moss or Jerry Rice. Fitzgerald took a few years to become elite as did TO. I’m not saying he’s going to be that good (I have my doubts too) but let’s give him a chance- this regime seem as if they can flat out coach. Wait until the season starts!

6. adamsilver says: May 24, 2009 12:19 PM

I guess “plenty of time” includes a rookie season where he didn’t have a QB to throw him the ball or any healthy RBs to take the pressure off of the WRs, right?
    And I guess Steve Smith and, I don’t know, dozens of other WRs all had “plenty of time” when showing nothing special until their third seasons, right?
    Get some knowledge.

7. garyofferdahl says: May 24, 2009 12:48 PM

he will always have value because of his speed. He is not nearly as bad as people think. But he is an outside receiver in the Mark Duper, Michael Haynes, Lee Evans type…

8. Bubba Maximus says: May 24, 2009 1:03 PM

Regarding Sparano’s comment that Ginn should stop running out of bounds to avoid comment:
    I’m surprised that more coaches don’t call out WRs/RBs who routinely wuss-out rather than try to pick up an extra two or three yards.
    I’m certainly not implying that a WR/RB should initiate a head-on collision with Ray Lewis in order to gain an extra foot.
    But the guys who fall to the ground as soon as they catch a pass in the middle of the field, or who duck out of bounds as whenever a defender gets within striking distance, are a disgrace to the game.

9. hamburglar says: May 24, 2009 1:07 PM

Pat White will assume his old spread offense with Ronnie Brown in the Slaton role and Ted Ginn in the Reynaud role.

10. FillyFinatic says: May 24, 2009 1:12 PM

I kinda think he’s progressing. This is just alittle smack talk to motivate him. I kinda feel for the dude cause Lemon the first year blew, and chad pennington (while a good qb) still can’t throw far down the field to reach Ginn. So he has to slow down or go backwards to catch the throw.

11. rudy says: May 24, 2009 1:31 PM

For most WR’s it takes a couple years to really analyze if they’re going to be great or at least good/consistent. I think this year will be his make or break year. He has the potential and some young Receivers that are going to raise the competition for Roster Spots. I think he’ll improve alot this year after being with this new front office and these coaches for one season.
    Go Phins!!

12. nflfann says: May 24, 2009 1:37 PM

Another Fin debacle:

13. nflfann says: May 24, 2009 1:43 PM

Cam Cameron

14. drunkhaloplayer says: May 24, 2009 2:00 PM

I hate hearing people compare Percy Harvin to this flop

15. pimpinnati says: May 24, 2009 4:56 PM

I pray Miami gives up on Ginn. What year is he in? His third. When do WRs really START to show? Third year.
    Miami was crap his rookie year. Last year it was another new system for him to learn and now he has to please the Parcells Gestapo crowd. His best bet would be to get out of there and to go to a team that would actually utilize him the way he should be used. Stretching the field DEEP.

16. The Jimmy says: May 24, 2009 7:43 PM

I think he’s done ok so far. You can’t hold the fact that he was drafted about 15 slots too high against him. All he can do is play to his ability.

17. texasPHINSfan says: May 26, 2009 11:54 AM

“IF he can break a thousand yards this season, I think he will be ok. If he doesn’t, it’s time to move on.”
    ———————————————————————————————-
    i disagree. even if he doesn’t break 1k this season, he’s still a good WR. obviously not a #1 or franchise-guy, but still a solid contributory receiver. I don’t understand what’s not to like about 56 catches for 790 yards? for a #2 guy, those numbers are just fine.

18. We_Miss_You_Dan says: May 26, 2009 3:14 PM

@texasPHINSfan:
    Ok, I’ll give you that he makes an outstanding #2, but not at a 9th overall pick’s contract. I would say a restructuring would be due without some #1 WR production this year.