Brady's Goal? To Play Until He's 41

There apparently will be no yearly game of will-he-or-won’t-he?  No annual retirements and unretirements.
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has set the expiration date on his career.  Brady tells Peter King of Sports Illustrated that he plans to play until he’s 41.  And possibly longer.
“[I]f I get to that point and still feel good, I’ll keep playing,” Brady said.  “I mean, what the hell else am I going to do?  I don’t like anything else. . . .  People say, ‘What will you do if you don’t play football?’  Why would I even think of doing anything else?  What would I do instead of run out in front of 80,000 people and command 52 guys and be around guys I consider brothers and be one of the real gladiators?  Why would I ever want to do anything else?  It’s so hard to think of anything that would match what I do:  Fly to the moon?  Jump out of planes?  Bungee-jump off cliffs?  None of that sh-t matters to me.  I want to play this game I love, be with my wife and son, and enjoy life.”
(Wow.  We’d have that quote put at the bottom of a poster, but we’d either need a magnifying glass to read it or a really big-ass poster.)
With Brady due to turn 32 in August, that means he’s get ten more years of football left in him.
Then again, the spirit might be willing.  But the flesh might be weak.  (Or, as the case may be, infected with staph.)
Regardless of what happens from 2010 though 2018, Brady’s status for 2009 is looking better and better.  He participated in practice for the first time since suffering a torn ACL during a Week One win over the Chiefs.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Brady's Goal? To Play Until He's 41”
  1. JimmyU says: May 26, 2009 5:42 PM

Tom Brady’s other goal: to impregnate 41 different women.

2. CaptainFantastik says: May 26, 2009 5:43 PM

Great, then we’ll get a yearly Brandy Retirement Watch as his passing skills decline and his already virtually non-existent mobility turns him into Drew Beldsoe. Dude’s already sounding like Brat Favre.

3. Beast_Mode23 says: May 26, 2009 5:45 PM

I hate Tom Brady.

4. svnrdr says: May 26, 2009 5:49 PM

LMAO…Brett Brady!

5. djerseyguy says: May 26, 2009 5:58 PM

Great! Another loser who wants to hang around the game too long!

6. Fredex says: May 26, 2009 6:00 PM

I don’t think Brady’s likely to be infected with staph unless the Patriots trade him to the Browns, in which case he’d also be at risk of a staff infection like Kellen Winslow.

7. jerseyguy says: May 26, 2009 6:02 PM

now step 2 be an effective qb. at age 41….on a side note Brett Favre plans to play untill he is 81

8. Rasputin says: May 26, 2009 6:10 PM

One thing about Brady, he won’t settle for playing bad. If when he gets to Favre’s ago he’s more of a liability on the field, he’ll pack it in. Go into politics. Or TV. Become a coach. Or just drop out of sight and raise his kids.

9. Vox Veritas says: May 26, 2009 6:16 PM

“What would I do instead of run out in front of 80,000 people and command 52 guys and be around guys I consider brothers and be one of the real gladiators?”
    Real gladiators? Join the army, bitch.

10. TheBengal13 says: May 26, 2009 6:19 PM

What a surprise–Peter King doing an article on tom Brady and the Patriots. He’s is SO homo for that franchise, it’s ridiculous. I hate that skunk-haired tool.

11. southie905 says: May 26, 2009 6:19 PM

gladiators dont fight wars those are soldiers, use your brain bitch

12. Ford says: May 26, 2009 6:20 PM

He’s like the anti-Favre. We won’t have to worry about a retirement drama from him for ten years now.

13. mike hunt says: May 26, 2009 6:20 PM

After that quote, I think I just became a Tom Brady fan. That quote was awesome. I wish everyone had that mindset. Never liked the Pats, but the more REAL quarterbacks that we have like Tom Brady, as opposed to guys like Mike Vick that cant throw for shit, the better. Not to mention the man is a real leader. He is obviously a smart guy and can do what he wants in life, such as become a politician etc. But he has a love for football. Tip your hat to the dude and say good for you Tom. Hell play to you’re freaking 45

14. Michael_15_Crabtree says: May 26, 2009 6:22 PM

15. PsychoTim says: May 26, 2009 6:23 PM

“Real gladiators? Join the army, bitch.”
    Gladiators were for sport and spectacle. The armed forces are for protecting our nation and attacking our enemies.
    Soldiers are not gladiators. Any true soldier/marine/etc. would be offended by your comment.

16. butterk2 says: May 26, 2009 6:33 PM

Real gladiators? Join the army, bitch.
    ___________________________________________________
    Uh the romans still had an army when the gladiators had their glory. Not to diss the army, but people down round up 80,000 deep to watch them fight. We appreciate it, and love it, but it’s apples and oranges.

17. coleslaw says: May 26, 2009 6:33 PM

As long as Belichick keeps finding new ways to cheat, Brady can continue to fool the football world into thinking he’s actually good.

18. nedirect says: May 26, 2009 6:36 PM

what would you do if you weren’t playing football? how about sex with your brazilian supermodel wife for starters and go from there.

19. tropicalbamboo says: May 26, 2009 6:36 PM

Uh…Vox Veriitas –
    Gladiators were guys who battled each other to entertain large crowds. How does the army relate to that? Surely you can’t be referring to the Army football team?
    Regarding Brady wanting to play until he’s at least 41? Big deal. Most NFL players would say that before they start breaking down.

20. blackglass3 says: May 26, 2009 6:41 PM

Beast_Mode23 says:
    I hate Tom Brady.
    I have it on very good authority that he’s not all that fond of you, either.
    Vox Veritas says:
    Real gladiators? Join the army, bitch.
    Unless you’re in a branch, you might as well STFU also, bitch. Don’t be jealous because Romo doesn’t have this mentality.

21. Boltschick says: May 26, 2009 6:42 PM

I’m getting tired of all the concern over the status of Brady’s knee.
    He tore it last September.
    Rivers tore his ACL in January of 08 and, after recovering from his surgery, was the top-rated QB during the 08 season.
    Brady’s knee will be fine and I expect him to have a monster season (not that I will root for him or anything).

22. CardiacCats says: May 26, 2009 6:44 PM

A lot of players think they wan’t to play into their 40’s but training camp is much harder when your 36 than when you were 28.

23. Raging Clue says: May 26, 2009 6:46 PM

That quote should come from every single player of every single team, because if you want to do something else, you really have no business being in the NFL in the first place.

24. ForUnlawfulCarnalKnowledge says: May 26, 2009 6:46 PM

Lets see, he’s 32, has more money than God, has three superbowl rings, two superbowl mvp’s, a league mvp and bangs super models in his spare time, ummmmm, maybe we are all just slightly jealous!

25. zertrat says: May 26, 2009 6:47 PM

Where is the keen Florio critical cynicism? So if the team tries to put him out to pasture, he’ll fight to stay employed until 41 (sounds like Favre). And if he does get to 41 as a player, by some miracle, he’ll invoke the “possibly longer” clause (sounds like Favre). Maybe i missed this was tongue-in-cheek. It sounds to me Florio missed the point, the Brady intends to be Favre, mapping out an endless career of diminishing returns to make money and because he has no life beyond football.

26. hamandeggs says: May 26, 2009 6:48 PM

“Real gladiators? Join the army, bitch.”
    Soldiers are not gladiators.

27. Hiperactivo says: May 26, 2009 6:48 PM

28. Unfiltered says: May 26, 2009 6:54 PM

Hah! As usual, the bitter, impotent squeals of you Patriot Hater chumps are HILARIOUS! Good luck with that! ;o)

29. Unfiltered says: May 26, 2009 6:56 PM

By the way, Gladiators were NOT soldiers, Vox, old sport.
    You’re…not too bright…ARE you? ;o)

30. deckman says: May 26, 2009 6:58 PM

I take it your not from Beantown beast mode 23 you moron go pats

31. PDXNinerfan says: May 26, 2009 7:01 PM

He doesn’t like impregnating some of the hottest babes on Earth?

32. who_dey_kid says: May 26, 2009 7:01 PM

You ask Mr. Florio, and you shall recieve…

33. zertrat says: May 26, 2009 7:02 PM

OK, Vox Veritas,

34. who_dey_kid says: May 26, 2009 7:03 PM

You ask Mr. Florio, and you shall recieve, I tried to make an actually poster, but the quote was entirely too long

35. FillyFinatic says: May 26, 2009 7:16 PM

Good news Pat fans, Now YOU TOO can order your very own New England Patriots Depense Adult Diapers!

36. BuckFutter says: May 26, 2009 7:18 PM

As a Pats fan, I can honestly say that, if he remains our best option, he can stay until he’s 60.
    If his skills deteriorate and it becomes a game of loyalty to the detriment of the team….then I will have a problem.

37. Steelers Eat Steroids says: May 26, 2009 7:19 PM

and that IS why he IS, Tom Brady. Favre doesn’t get it, he is (has to be a narcassist) incapable of laying his cards on the table because it might come back and chew him in the hiney. Personally, I see Big Ben and another Farve, way closer to that “rip it and rip it” mentality of playing QB, than of Brady’s smooth and strategic approach.
    All that said, schit, I hate Tom Brady, too. Can’t wait until he (apparently) turns 40 or so…, eh?
    Peace and love to my fellow die-hard football fans from all-0ver…except you, Steeler fans,…James Harrison must be inbred. C’mon, check that logic of his! What a dipschit!)
    ” ** FIRE-Powahhhhh! ** “

38. BuckFutter says: May 26, 2009 7:20 PM

“Hiperactivo says:
    May 26th, 2009 at 6:48 pm
    I can only imagine Peter King naked, rubbing himself with pictures of Tom Brady in his bathroom…”
    Why would you WANT to imagine that?
    I’m not even picturing it, but the words made me vomit in my mouth.
    You’re strange.

39. JimmySmith says: May 26, 2009 7:42 PM

Let him play till he’s 41 and then at 42, he can go back to his first job, running the video dept under Coach Bellicheat.

40. coleslaw says: May 26, 2009 7:54 PM

The first 10 years contain 3 tainted Super Bowls***, a shredded knee and one abandoned child.
    Can’t wait to see what the next 10 look like.

41. shuxion says: May 26, 2009 7:56 PM

Coleslaw called it. The jig is up, the world is finding out that Brady sucks. The 49 touchdowns were all because of stealing signals, the three superbowls had nothing to do with Brady.
    ………………………………Yeah, exactly.
    How can a conservative be so out of it?

42. hayward giablommi says: May 26, 2009 7:57 PM

That mentality is what I love about Brady. He’s the anti-Favre in many ways. No agenda, he’s about the team and not himself, just wants to play the friggin game and win . You haters out there, and you know who you are, just go ahead and admit it to yourselves that you wish you had this guy on your team. As long as Brady is a Patriot, I don’t see Belichick stepping down or moving on somewhere else. Dunno about Brady playing till he’s 41, but I think we get another 6-7 years minimum with Brady and Belichick.

43. Vox Veritas says: May 26, 2009 8:03 PM

“gladiators dont fight wars those are soldiers, use your brain bitch ”
    Gladiators don’t play football. Those are football players, you incredible dumbass.

44. Vox Veritas says: May 26, 2009 8:05 PM

“Soldiers are not gladiators.”
    Neither are football players. What’s your point?

45. foxmtbr says: May 26, 2009 8:06 PM

If I had any respect for Brady to begin with, I would have just lost it.
    In other news, scientists have discovered that Tom Brady is actually the result of an orgy including Brett Favre, John Madden, and Grandma Favre.

46. Vox Veritas says: May 26, 2009 8:06 PM

“We appreciate your service. Calling other Americans bitches, male or female, kinda diminishes your message, don’t you think? Are you laying your life on the line to defend “bitches”? Where I’m from, it’s understood that some folks have talents x and others have talents z, and we are all on the same page. I know leaders in dozens of areas of life. ”
    WTF?

47. TimmySmith says: May 26, 2009 8:22 PM

still waiting for some form of substantive response from vox

48. CaptainFantastik says: May 26, 2009 8:37 PM

“lol does Tom really think he is a gladiator? They made a rule so because he got hurt so it wouldn’t happen again.”
    ——————————————————————————————
    I know, it’s ridiculous. He’s the softest player in the league. Can’t touch him below the skirt line anymore in case he gets hurt, can’t hit him high or else he won’t have a pretty mug for the NFL’s marketing campaign. He makes the average NFL placekicker look like Walter Payton as far as sheer football toughness.
    And have you seen Bridget or Gisele without makeup? Google it. Pretty far from being “the hottest women on earth”.

49. pats suck says: May 26, 2009 8:58 PM

Shady Brady can stay as long as he wants as long my man Bernard Pollard is playing.

50. jimicos says: May 26, 2009 9:53 PM

“Brady’s Goal? To Play Until He’s 41″
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. And Brett Favre wants to have a life after football. It’s all bullshit until they actually do it.

51. Pastabelly says: May 26, 2009 10:22 PM

How long will it be before Florio notices that Brady’s contract only has one year left after this season? That seems like a bigger story than all of this other crap.

52. illspaz says: May 26, 2009 10:25 PM

…look, i’m a jets fan, and i hate brady, but that’s just dumb. he had his knee destroyed last year. he has five or more 300+ lb. men running full steam at him every play. he’s not on the nfl rules committee, those guys are morons who overprotect qbs and ruin the game… but it ain’t brady’s fault. i respect the guy a lot more than i did yesterday after reading this.

53. Ford says: May 26, 2009 10:32 PM

I love how people still think that Belichick is the ONLY guy that spies on opposing coaches. Stay golden, Pony boys.

54. Ralphie says: May 26, 2009 10:42 PM

Captain FantasDick, you’re a catty little queen. You sound like Perez Hilton chatting with your Hollywood whore train in the girls room. Don’t let Gisele’s good looks chafe your vagina girl.

55. pats haters suck says: May 27, 2009 12:02 AM

pats suck says:
    ———————
    @ pats suck
    As much as you drag down the collective IQ of PFT commentary, in the back of my mind I wonder if just one time you might post a comment with some insight and substance. Then I read comments like your’s above and fortunately shift back into reality.
    Ignoramous, since you obviously know nothing, Tom Brady was playing long before Bernard Pollard came into the league and will be playing after Pollard plays in his last game, which I suspect will be in 5 years or less.
    You failed again.

56. Wahoo4life says: May 27, 2009 6:32 AM

Ohhhh….thats cute, Florio just popped a boner

57. drucifer says: May 27, 2009 6:56 AM

Here we get a peak at his character:
    He believes – at least subconsciously – that he either is or should be in control of the entire team, rather than the 10 others that are on the field with him when the Patriots have the ball.
    It’s not news, though…just more evidence of the size of his ego.

58. Mike D says: May 27, 2009 8:19 AM

If I were Brady, i’d spend 24/7 wailing away on Giselle.
    Think about it – would you rather be out there worrying about the Dwight Freeneys / James Harrisons of the world blindsiding you or would you rather be performing despicable acts on a Brazilian supermodel?

59. footballnut says: May 27, 2009 8:24 AM

@Vox:
    Unless your a vet of a war or confrontation don’t make comments like that…I sure as hell wasn’t being shot at by Haitians for friggin’ entertainment you asswipe.
    Gladiators were for entertainment…much like today’s NFL athletes.
    I understand you hate the Pats…I hate the Cowboys, but for cryin’ out loud man, pick a comment that makes sense for once.

60. footballnut says: May 27, 2009 9:03 AM

@ drucifer:
    That’s because the locker room in Foxboro does listen when he speaks…even the defense. That’s how you command…it’s a natural trait that from the looks of it, you do not possess.
    And of course he has an ego, do you know of any superstar jock that doesn’t?

61. samlv4 says: May 27, 2009 9:05 AM

Did any of you actually read all of Peter King’s article? Tom Brady is a team player and will always do what’s best for his team. Some of you people are just sick… Just remember when you point a finger one will always be pointing back at you. This guy has more character than you can ever wish to have. The guy is just excited to play football again.

62. KILLER FINS FAN says: May 27, 2009 9:19 AM

ONE THUMP TO THE KNEE & DONE!!! ENOUGH SAID!!! Hope that he takes care of BOTH his kids!!!

63. fishbeastman says: May 27, 2009 10:27 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I HATE TOM BRADY
    But I would love to be Tom Brady

64. Flying elvis says: May 27, 2009 12:09 PM

New Egland fans love Drady and Gillette Stadium is going to rock when he takes the field.

65. Flying elvis says: May 27, 2009 12:10 PM

New England fans love Tom Brady and Gillette Stadium is going to rock when he takes the field again.

66. kate773 says: May 27, 2009 1:02 PM

Some of you are too stupid to live. Seriously, please get a life. Any post about the Pats and its the same morons with the same comments. Do you cruise the internet all day looking for this stuff? Some of you seem more obsessed with the Pats than your own team.

67. grannyvi says: May 27, 2009 2:25 PM

Football is all he knows? WTF did he do (or any of them do) in college for four freaking years? Sit there and look pretty?
    Never mind…just kidding.
    There are actually some players who get actual degrees so they have a life after football. And sometimes it comes sooner than later…ask any 1st or 2nd year player who had a career-ending injury in the first game of the season.
    He and Favre — two peas in the same pod. One’s old and used up, the other one will soon follow.

68. grannyvi says: May 27, 2009 2:39 PM

What else does he know? What would he do without football? WTF did he do (along with most NFL players) for four freaking years in college? Sit there and look pretty?
    There are actually some players who are smart enough to get an actual degree while attending college so they can have a life after football and maybe even support themselves and their families. And that moment can come sooner than later sometimes. Ask any 1st or 2nd year player who received a career-ending injury the first game of the season.
    Brady and Favre — two peas in the same pod. One is old and used up, the other soon will be. And both are oblivious to that fact.
    Speaking for Lord Fart — I’m surprised Florio hasn’t posted this gem yet: http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_12459196?_requestid=7940279
    Maybe because it’s critical of his hero?

69. Unfiltered says: May 27, 2009 4:28 PM

Ahhhh…The sweet, SWEET lamentations of the bitter refuse; the Patriot Haters!
    Your helpless, impotent wailing, and your enraged and bitter gnashing of teeth is duly noted and GREATLY appreciated, oh ye Lost Souls, ye who dedicate more energy to hating us Patriots than to loving your OWN team!
    Would you bleeders care for a Kotex for that? Or perhaps a StayFree? :o)