Manning Annoyed By Staff Changes

In the wake of veteran offensive coordinator Tom Moore and offensive line coach Howard Mudd retiring reportedly because of their respective concerns about the NFL pension plan for assistant coaches, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning indicated today that he’s displeased with the development.
According to Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star, Manning expressed concern today at an Organized Team Activity about the changes and apparently not being kept in the loop, even though Moore and Mudd are expected to return as consultants by training camp.
“I can’t tell you what’s going on,” Manning said.  “I will say I don’t think it’s been the most properly communicated scenario around here.”
Although it has been repeatedly stated that Moore and Mudd were retiring solely because of the league’s decision to allow NFL teams to opt out of a league-run pension plan, that perception doesn’t match the reality, according to league officials.
Clyde Christensen replaced Moore as offensive coordinator and Pete Metzelaars has taken Mudd’s place coaching the Colts’ offensive line.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Manning Annoyed By Staff Changes”
  1. VaBthang4 says: May 26, 2009 2:52 PM

LOL
    “Although it has been repeatedly stated that Moore and Mudd were retiring solely because of…YADA YADA YADA…”
    Hai! Let it go dummy. Haha…

2. TCLARK says: May 26, 2009 2:58 PM

As much as I would like to put my rectum on his nose, I understand his point. It’s tough to adjust working with new people when you get used to doing things a certian way.

3. MarkB says: May 26, 2009 3:03 PM

Polian will grab Peyton Manning by the collar and throw him up against a wall.

4. The Captains Log says: May 26, 2009 3:05 PM

Apparently Manning thinks that all coaching decisions must be cleared through him first. I wonder if Dungy received permission to retire? Clearly Mudd and Moore were not given permission

5. IndyWilson says: May 26, 2009 3:09 PM

Peyton Manning loves football. Football is a violent game. Violence is never the answer, however it is Allen Iverson’s nickname. Peyton doesn’t have a nickname. That is why he is so upset.

6. Smush Rodrigez says: May 26, 2009 3:15 PM

Oh NO!!!! Manning is annoyed. Ironic considering all of his annoying TV commercials for a guy that won one Superbowl. Next thing you know Tony Romo is going to start getting commercials.

7. Elaw6 says: May 26, 2009 3:18 PM

i have a feeling somebody ripped this story directly from nfl.com
    i love the change in wording also.
    while this website calls Mannings demeanor “annoyed”
    nfl.com calls it “concern”

8. NinerNation says: May 26, 2009 3:18 PM

Oh poor baby, he only had his first 10 years in the system before a change occurred….call Alex Smith and ask him how he feels about four coaching staffs in four seasons.

9. sblue says: May 26, 2009 3:28 PM

Good news for the offensive line, he may not blame them this time around if things go bad.

10. Fan_of_Football says: May 26, 2009 3:38 PM

And people want to call Favre a diva?

11. ppdoc says: May 26, 2009 3:46 PM

that crack you heard was the foundation of the non-dynasty that was the indy dolts. i’m smelling an 8-8 and firing of jim caldwell after one season after peyton goes on the rampage.

12. Nemesis says: May 26, 2009 3:52 PM

“I’m trying to be a good team mate here, but let’s just say we had communication problems”

13. GiorgioMustica says: May 26, 2009 3:58 PM

As a colts fan, this is not good news at all. We know Peyton had a great relationship with all the coaches, especially Tom Moore and Dungy, but now, some boneheads are going to try and tell Peyton what to do. You really think he’s gonna listen to a WR coach now? I don’t think it’s long before Peyton gets really fed up and calls it quits. Though I hope this day never comes :(

14. Jonathan9999 says: May 26, 2009 4:03 PM

This franchises stock is falling quickly.
    Everybody can see it. Can colts fans?

15. PistolPete says: May 26, 2009 4:03 PM

Sorry, the answer we were looking for is “I’m so bummed that they’re no longer with us, but changes like this are part of the game. With the team we’ve got here, we’ll adjust and I’m sure we’ll be just fine.” Payton Manning needs to STFU unless and until the team changes his position from QB to GM. What a tool.

16. CKL says: May 26, 2009 4:06 PM

Over and over peymeaton throws people under the bus in the press, NaPolian slobbers all over his jock and backs him up, and the guy never takes responsibility for anything he does. SHUT UP YOU WHINY LITTLE GIRL. Real men do not bitch about anything to the press. PERIOD. EVER.
    Now watch, the media will slob Manning’s knob. Oh poooooorrrrr peytie poo. Had TO (who I also hate) said this, they’d be all over his nuts with criticism. I am so so sick of the media hypocrisy. Criticize people fairly please.

17. OZZ13 says: May 26, 2009 4:09 PM

Thanks Peyton. I’m sure this won’t cause any kind of distraction whatsoever for the new staff.

18. samh says: May 26, 2009 4:31 PM

Peyton seems to think Polian and the coaches work for him.

19. raheem24 says: May 26, 2009 4:50 PM

Blows my mind this isn’t a bigger story, guy questions his teams decisions, and throws his coaches under the bus, but hey its Peyton Manning, it’s cool… Love it.

20. udamright says: May 26, 2009 4:51 PM

Hmm great find, Manning is pissed the guy that taught him to be a QB is retiring earlier than he should. Gotta say I didn’t see this one coming!

21. Jonathan9999 says: May 26, 2009 5:25 PM

Peyton Manning: ”I won this game as a team”

22. Rasputin says: May 26, 2009 6:00 PM

Gawsh … I sure hope this don’t affect Peyton’s performance in commercials.

23. SJsports66 says: May 26, 2009 6:15 PM

I don’t think he was throwing anyone under the bus really, rather just stating some understandable concern:
    “It’s not a situation that I’m just thrilled about,” he said. “I think the communication has been pretty poor in my opinion. Somebody says one thing, then somebody else says another thing.
    What quarterback would be thrilled about an overhaul of his coaching staff and no real communication of what, why, or how any of the process is happening? All this nonsense about pension plans and consultants has created an unnecessary distraction.
    Also, to those comparing him to TO, Romo, Favre, the situations are completely different. Favre has done nothing but waffle back and forth as of late, Romo is a slightly above average QB that doesn’t seem to possess the qualities of a great quarterback, and I won’t actually go into why TO and Manning are different, because that comment was completely ridiculous in the first place.

24. Alpheratz says: May 26, 2009 7:13 PM

Playoffs?
    Don’t talk about……..PLAYOFFS?
    I just hope we can win a game…….

25. spyboots says: May 26, 2009 9:47 PM

Nemesis deserves a copy of the book.

26. DJSlyBri says: May 26, 2009 10:32 PM

The white QB is “annoyed” and that’s the end of it. If he were black, like McNabb, he would be vilified as disgruntled, militant, and the typical angry black man who is dividing the team to placate his own ego.

27. Darth Ringo says: May 27, 2009 12:16 AM

Wow, if Manning is talking anything more than “happy camp” things must be 10 times more screwed than we’re hearing about.

28. RIRich says: May 27, 2009 7:57 AM

samh says:
    May 26th, 2009 at 4:31 pm
    Peyton seems to think Polian and the coaches work for him.
    Umm, hey moron, they DO.
    The Colts ARE Peyton Manning; that should be obvious to anyone with a single brain cell. Why on earth the management would allow something to happen that would not be in Peyton Manning’s best interests, is beyond me.
    Patriots fan here, one who – while despising the diva-ness that is Manning – can certainly respect the abilities and skills of Peyton Manning, and realizes that the sole reason the Colts don’t have more Super Bowl titles than they do is because of the New England Patriots alone.
    This guy is one of the two most skilled QBs in the league (would any of you morons pick Rothlesberger, Romo, or Rivers over this guy???), and the management needs to do what it takes to keep him involved and happy.
    So yes, they DO need to run things by him. I can’t believe any of you are stupid enough to not realize that.

29. samlv4 says: May 27, 2009 9:20 AM

I know this is just a rumor site and all… Did any of you hear his whole statement? Manning is usually very media savy doesn’t give the reporters much. Yes he should know who his coaches are!! He’s frustrated. His coaches should know more than him! I’m not a colt’s fan… but he has a point. Look forward to playing you during the season… Good luck colt fans things should work out. Pats staff is always raided and as long as the key pieces are in… you’ll have another great season