Jimmy Smith Pleads Not Guilty

One month after being arrested on possession of cocaine and marijuana charges, possession of drug paraphernalia and driving with a suspended license, former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Jimmy Smith pleaded not guilty to all charges today, according to the Associated Press.
Per the report, the retired wide receiver was facing a fifth charge of possessing or selling a controlled substance. However, it was dropped at his arraignment.
Smith wasn’t at court today with his lawyer making the appearance on his behalf.  The five-time Pro Bowl selection’s next court date is June 17.
Following his arrest last month, Smith acknowledged that he is battling with a dependency problem and plans to seek assistance.
“I am ashamed and humiliated by my actions and I apologize for the embarrassment I have caused my family, friends and everyone in the Jacksonville community who have supported me throughout my career,” Smith said in a statement. “I realize that I cannot be the husband, father, son and citizen I want to be until I overcome my addiction.”
“It is my highest priority, and will be the toughest challenge of my life, but I am going to get the help that I need to achieve a complete recovery. I understand that I will need to work every day to overcome my addiction and to earn back the trust and respect of all those I have hurt and let down.”

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
11 Responses to “Jimmy Smith Pleads Not Guilty”
  1. ball-hawk says: May 28, 2009 1:12 PM

ok because he feels bad or is “perceived” to feel bad it is ok for him to break the law?! What is this country coming to???

2. rodstiffington says: May 28, 2009 1:23 PM

They only arrested him because he’s not Pat White

3. pats haters suck says: May 28, 2009 1:36 PM

Not sure about those charges, but I can say for sure that JimmySmith is a sanctimonious, hypocritical pimple-on-the-proverbial-ass of PFT commentary. Not really surprised that he’s a druggy and an embarrassment, but I find it hard to believed based on his ignorant commentary here that he was ever an NFL wide receiver.
    Guilty.

4. PJW says: May 28, 2009 1:37 PM

Does this mean he’ll be too busy to post here anymore?

5. TealDeal says: May 28, 2009 1:39 PM

This just in…
    Jaguars release Jimmy Smith

6. TCLARK says: May 28, 2009 1:48 PM

I am ashamed and humiliated by my actions
    This should be said by the poster Jimmy Smith.

7. zygi milf says: May 28, 2009 2:49 PM

How do you plead not guilty when they busted you red-handed?

8. Kotite says: May 28, 2009 2:51 PM

Hey.. If Zaccarias Moussaoui can say in a courtroom that he’s an enemy of the United States and a judge rules that inadmissable, Jimmy Smith’s comments about his addiction following the arrest can also be deemed inadmissable since the American legal system is a complete farce.

9. CapsLockKey says: May 28, 2009 3:31 PM

Didn’t he have drug problems when he first entered the league years ago, then became kind of a story because he overcame them and ended up succeeding in the NFL? I guess now that he’s not playing anymore it didn’t take much for him to fall off the wagon.

10. JagMania65 says: May 28, 2009 9:43 PM

pats haters suck says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 1:36 pm
    Guilty.
    Well, someone is sanctimonious here – you.
    Up until his arrest, I saw Jimmy every day dropping his son off to the same preschool as my son. He was always nice to everyone, and never failed to say hello to me even though he didn’t know me from Adam. He may have an addiction, but he is also a father and a human being. You all act holier than thou while sucking down a 12-pack watching a game like he’s the only one with a problem…

11. Titansfansyusobitter says: May 29, 2009 10:39 AM

@JagMania65
    Nice. This guy is just happy to prove that he lives for PFT by even knowing that Jimmy Smith has posted here. Apparently he also wishes he was a district judge instead of a fry cook. Note to everyone that posts here, if your going to say something like “not surprised he’s a druggy” at least explain your rationale (if you have any). This way we know your not just being sour about having a pimply butt. Thats gross pats fan… go get that checked out