Panthers Owner Returns To Practice Months After Heart Transplant

Carolina Panthers team owner Jerry Richardson brought smiles to his football team today.
The 72-year-old drew applause from players as he attended his first practice since undergoing a heart transplant four months ago.
According to the Associated Press, Richardson, who has lost a considerable amount of weight since the surgery, said that he’s “doing great,” and repeatedly got out of his golf cart to shake hands with well-wishers.
A former Baltimore Colts wide receiver regarded as one of the most respected owners in the league, Richardson is known for being close to his players.
“He’s not just an owner by name,” quarterback Jake Delhomme told Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com. “He’s one that many guys on the team have a relationship with and not just, ‘Hey how are you doing?’ It’s a true relationship where he knows your family and knows your kids.
“It’s something that goes unnoticed, but that’s the way he wants it. It was certainly great to see him out here. He certainly looks good. … It makes it more meaningful to work for him and an organization that does things the right way. I think guys are close to him.”

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Panthers Owner Returns To Practice Months After Heart Transplant”
  1. LSCII says: May 28, 2009 2:05 PM

Uhm….it’s not like he was participating in the on field drills or anything. So, big deal?

2. dangfunky says: May 28, 2009 2:05 PM

Ya know I like Jerry Richardson but I have a hard time justifying a heart transplant at his age….that vital organ could have gone to a child….
    and maybe with a new heart he will fire John Fox ….

3. CardiacCats says: May 28, 2009 2:28 PM

WELCOME BACK BIG CAT!!!!!
    Hopefully the players can do what it takes to bring you and the Carolina’s a Super Bowl championship this season!

4. EverybodyGotAIDS says: May 28, 2009 2:54 PM

___________
    I think it would be funny if the heart actually came FROM a child. “A child died…but it’s ok, because it allowed an old man to live for another year or two”

5. coolhand says: May 28, 2009 3:08 PM

After reading some of theses comments. Dangfunky and EverybodyGotAIDS, I hope when you are older in life and (heaven forbid) need an organ transplant…..you kindly turn it down so someone else younger can have it. I’m sure you’d really consider it. Sheesh….I can’t believe how stupid you are!

6. EverybodyGotAIDS says: May 28, 2009 3:34 PM

coolhand says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 3:08 pm
    _______________
    What does that have to do with anything? I don’t fault the guy for it. Hell, if it was myself or a family member, I’d kill some random person myself and have a black market doctor handle the transplant. No match? I’d find somebody else. I’m just saying that, in the grand scheme of things, it was sorta a waste. Just by nature of him being rich, that doesn’t make his time in the world more valuable than anyone else….but if I was in the same position, I’d do the exact same thing. I don’t see what your point is.

7. Kevin from Philly says: May 28, 2009 3:35 PM

So when does he go on the killing spree? Every time a guy gets a transplant in the movies, he gets possessed by the evil spirit of the guy who died, and goes out on a rampage. More importantly, how will the transplant affect the pointspread in week one?

8. pyr8fan says: May 28, 2009 6:14 PM

EverybodyGotAids……if only you had put that much thought into it before you stole some retard’s brain. But I understand why you picked the one you did…it belong to your dad for God’s sake.

9. kenny1978 says: May 28, 2009 6:51 PM

EverybodyGotAids…,
    I hope that someday someone you are close too needs a transplant, Then what will your position on the matter be ?? My mother got a new kidney at the age of 71 in 2001. She passed away last week 2 months shy of her 79th birthday. That kidney she got came from a 16Y/O girl who was killed in a car accident. That kidney gave my mother a much better quality of life. You should be ashamed at your insensitive and vulgar comments.

10. dangfunky says: May 29, 2009 4:28 PM

I guess you boys dont have children ….
    who cares about some granny needing a kidney…
    My post was about a child losing out on an organ because some hot shot NFL owner has it now……how much longer will he live (15 years MAX) …. give that to a child who has a full life ahead of him….
    What if your lil boy or girl needed an organ? Some 70 year old can start making plans for the grave…..why short-change a CHILD???
    Serious … old people are going to die …. it happens….
    I suggest some of these “men” avoid having children…..
    cause life is full of tough decisions…
    cause your child’s life is a helluva lot more important than some 70 year old….