Tarvaris Jackson: "I Feel Like I'm Working Hard"

Days after Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams raised the question of whether quarterback Tarvaris Jackson is working hard enough to excel in the NFL, Jackson defended himself today, according to Rick Alonzo of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press.
While Jackson said he feels like he’s doing everything necessary in terms of preparation and was caught off-guard by Williams’ comments, the quarterback acknowledged that perhaps he could do a bit more as he tries to fend off veteran Sage Rosenfels for the starting job.
“I feel like I’m doing what I’ve got to do,” Jackson said. “I put the time in. Maybe I do have to put extra time in. I guess when you’re not doing as well, you’ve got to put the extra time in.
“I feel like I’m working hard. I’ve always been a hard worker. I’m going to continue to do that. … I’m just going to try to turn it up a notch, I guess, try to work a little bit harder so we won’t be having these conversations no more.”
During a weekend interview on Sirius NFL Radio, Williams said he has counseled Jackson about the necessity of burning the midnight oil to prepare himself for competition.
“I talk to Tarvaris all the time (and) tell him you have to put in the time,” Williams said. “This ain’t college no more. This is the NFL. You have to put in more time than you are used to putting in.
“If you are putting in four hours, you have to put in eight. You have to put in more time than what he’s doing. I think if he puts the right time in, he will be a great quarterback in the league.”
Veteran defensive end Ray Edwards was supportive of Jackson, reasoning that Williams was simply trying to motivate the young quarterback. Jackson threw nine touchdowns and two interceptions last season.
Of course, Jackson could have the job taken out of his hands completely if Brett Favre ends his retirement and signs with the Vikings.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Tarvaris Jackson: "I Feel Like I'm Working Hard"”
  1. empty13 says: May 28, 2009 12:51 PM

trying to motivate him? maybe they wont play as hard if he isnt the qb.

2. SlipperyPete says: May 28, 2009 12:54 PM

Pat Williams. Lecturing another player about working hard. Really? Fat Pat still can’t work hard enough on his own to keep his weight under control without resorting to banned substances. I guess when Williams isn’t putting all sorts of crap into his mouth, all sorts of crap starts coming out.

3. 1stngoal says: May 28, 2009 1:07 PM

While Jackson said he feels like he’s doing everything necessary in terms of preparation, the quarterback acknowledged that perhaps he could do a bit more as he tries to fend off veteran Sage Rosenfels for the starting job.
    He says he “feels” like he’s doing everything necessary.Somehow I think he’s “fending off Sage Rosenfels” with a limp wrist….

4. NDCowboysfan says: May 28, 2009 1:10 PM

pat williams = PWND

5. bonecity7 says: May 28, 2009 1:23 PM

SlipperyPete,
    I find your post very foolish…..Williams has worked hard enough that his defense has ranked #1 against the run for three years running, a ranking that he has played a large (pun intended) part in accomplishing.
    The same can’t be said for Jackson!! But you weren’t trying to be factual in your post were you? No, you just wanted to take a cheap shot!! No shortage of trolls in here, that’s a fact!!!!

6. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: May 28, 2009 1:26 PM

Unfortunately, there aren’t enough hours in a day for T-Joke to watch film and study to get better. It’s awfully hard to overcompensate for being dumb. He was just dealt a bad hand in the IQ department. Anyone who listens to him speak can see that.

7. Cdn_Mike says: May 28, 2009 1:32 PM

You guess!!! Maybe!!
    Mr. Ass meet Mr. Bench.

8. erpete says: May 28, 2009 1:36 PM

Sage will win the quarterback competition easily. He’s better than both Tarvaris and the Drama Queen Formerly Known As Favre.

9. newjerseysfinest says: May 28, 2009 1:52 PM

go vikings

10. TCLARK says: May 28, 2009 1:56 PM

“This ain’t college no more. ”
    Indeed Pat. Indeed. Spoken like a true college grad.

11. truetruth says: May 28, 2009 2:11 PM

Tarvaris is a poor-man’s Vick………that about sums it up.

12. truetruth says: May 28, 2009 2:12 PM

erpete…….and if you think Sage is a better QB than Brett………I will prey for you…..clueless!

13. trimdan says: May 28, 2009 2:13 PM

Uh, duh, ok, I’m down with that. More time, I am, what do you guys want me to do, lead the team or something? I said in the media that I’m a leader, now you want me to work harder than everyone else? Wow, I don’t know, let me think about that a minute. All show and no go, typical!

14. gilbert says: May 28, 2009 2:54 PM

whatthehellisgoingonoutthere, you are dumb. probably not your fault though, as you were just dealt a bad hand in the IQ department

15. zertrat says: May 28, 2009 3:07 PM

I thought the comment that “if” he’s putting in four hours per day, he needs to put in eight, was very telling. Four hours!! Cripes.
    And while he’s at it, he could spend 30 minutes on English, so we don’t have to criticize his ass no more.
    As for the previous comment that Tavaris is a poor man’s Vick. Please. Jackson may be a lazy person, but there is no indication that he is a mean, aggressive, law-breaking, evasive, gambling, killing machine. Bad analogy. Not even close.

16. JimmySmith says: May 28, 2009 3:26 PM

I’ve seen T Joke interviewed on TV and if he is the face of your franchise, its not a very positive image. Nobody would ever accuse him or being articulate, you would have a hard time believing he even attended college the way he speaks, fractured sentences, wrong verb tenses and the like.
    My theory is that Col Klink always wanted a qB that is dumber than he is and that really limited the pool of QB’s to draft from. Since T Joke is a total nit wit while Klink is mostly a nit wit, they traded up in the draft to secure him.
    Good luck winning with that tool under center, no matter how hard he works.

17. HarrisonHits says: May 28, 2009 3:40 PM

“Maybe I do have to put extra time in. I guess when you’re not doing as well, you’ve got to put the extra time in.”
    Hey Tavaris, how’s life in the Need To Get A Clue Club ? Tom Brady puts in as much or more time than any other player in the league studying film and defenses, and I believe Payton Manning also spends a huge amount of time studying film. If the 2 best QBs in the league put in 10-12+ hours a day, where do you think your 4 hours leaves you ? I expect it will leave you soon to be unemployed.

18. jhard80 says: May 28, 2009 3:42 PM

whatthehellisgoingonoutthere,
    Do you know him personally?

19. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: May 28, 2009 4:10 PM

gilbert says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 2:54 pm
    ————
    Wow! What a witty comeback. Did you think of that all by yourself? Your lack of creativity must mean you’re a Vikings fan….
    @jhard80,
    Yes, I have actually spoken to T-Joke. I ran into him near Winter Park and talked to him for about 5 minutes. Nice guy….dumb as rocks! The guy scored a 19 on the Wonderlic for crying out loud. That’s only 3 points above Vince Young. That pretty much says it all!

20. Hype says: May 28, 2009 4:43 PM

HarrisonHits says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 3:40 pm
    Well he has more film than any other QB now doesn’t he..lol

21. PaulOttCarruth says: May 28, 2009 4:47 PM

4 is already diving the locker room.
    But it’s only ol’ Brett just bein’ Brett.

22. PaulOttCarruth says: May 28, 2009 4:48 PM

or dividing, either way.

23. drunkhaloplayer says: May 28, 2009 6:17 PM

whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 1:26 pm
    LOL WHAT AN IGNORANT STATEMENT. IT’S CLEAR TO EVERYONE WHY YOU’RE SAYING THAT. QUIT EMBARRASSING YOURSELF.
    Cdn_Mike says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 1:32 pm
    You guess!!! Maybe!!
    Mr. Ass meet Mr. Bench.
    MEANING HE’S WORKING HIS ASS OFF ALREADY AND TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE GOING OFF ON GUYS WORD. RAY EDWARDS CAME OUT AND SAID T-JACK IS WORKING REALLY HARD AND CALLED HIM THE BEST QB ON THE TEAM. PEOPLE TEND TO IGNORE THAT STATEMENT THOUGH IF IT WORKS AGAINST THEIR ARGUMENT.
    erpete says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 1:36 pm
    ARE YOU ON METH?! IT’S MORE LIKELY THAT HE’S THE WORST. FAVRE WAS EXCELLENT FOR 11 GAMES OR SO LAST SEASON, IT’S A BIGGER QUESTION OF WHAT HE’S GOT LEFT IN THE TANK AND IF HE’S GOING TO GET HIS ARM FIXED THE RIGHT WAY.
    JACKSON HAD 9 TD’S AND 2 INT’S LAST SEASON AND SHOWED WAY MORE GOOD THAN BAD. HE HAD A TERRIBLE PLAYOFF GAME I’LL ADMIT SO MAYBE THAT’S THE ONLY GAME YOU WACHED .
    SAGE THREW 6 TD’S, 10 INT’S AND HAS BEEN A BACK UP FOR 9 YEARS FOR A REASON. WATCH SOME DAMN FOOTBALL.
    AND TO EVERY PERSON CRITICIZING THE WAY HE TALKS, YOU’RE AN IDIOT. TO PUT IT QUITE FRANKLY, HE TALKS LIKE A LOT OF BLACK ATHLETES AND EVERYDAY PEOPLE FROM THE SOUTH. EVER HEARD ADRIAN PETERSON? NOBODY CALLS HIM DUMB.
    AND IF YOU LISTENED WHEN THEY WERE TALKING TO HIM ABOUT FAVRE ON SPORTSCENTER, EVERYTHING SOUNDED FINE. IF YOU’RE RACIST I CAN’T STOP YOU BUT DON’T BRING IT TO PFT, IT’S A WASTE OF TIME.

24. pahiker72 says: May 28, 2009 6:54 PM

@ drunkhaloplayer…
    Way to bring the race card into the argument, classy. Nobody mentioned the color of his skin until you did. Quite frankly, the use of the race card is an extremely lazy way to argue a point and usually means that your arguement has no merit and you will go to any means to make YOUR point.
    It doesn’t matter the color of your skin, profession or the geographic region you hail from — if you don’t have a command of the English language you are going to come off as dumb/stupid/under educated. However you want to put it. When you live in the United States of America is it expected to be able converse repectfully. Do not blame the author of the post that you are “race carding” blame the black athelete you are defending (or trying to). Have a nice day!
    By the way, he has deer in the headlights look and as a long time Steeler fan I have seen that same look before on one Kordell Stewart, whom sadly was a way better QB than Jackon.

25. CanadianVikingFan says: May 28, 2009 7:12 PM

John David Booty anyone?

26. Eric the Red says: May 28, 2009 8:47 PM

Does everyone else see the dichotomy here? In one breath he says he is putting in the time… in the next he says he should put in more… in one breath he says he’s working hard, in the next he says he might need to turn it up a notch… I gave this guy all of the benefit of the doubt up until now… Childress needs to give this guy ONE MORE CHANCE… and that is it. Favre or not… Rosenfels or not…. Jackson should get no more than one more chance. I don’t know how much worse or how much longer we as fans can wait for this guy who just doesn’t seem to get it.

27. drunkhaloplayer says: May 28, 2009 10:02 PM

pahiker72 says:
    May 28th, 2009 at 6:54 pm
    @ drunkhaloplayer…
    LOL A LAZY ARGUMENT? T-JACK IS VERY EASY TO DEFEND WITHOUT THAT. I POINTED OUT HIS STATS AND THE GUY HAS UNBELIEVABLE POTENTIAL.
    UNFORTUNATELY THE RACE CARD WAS ALREADY IMPLIED BY MANY PEOPLE. EITHER YOU’RE TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK OR ARE TOO IGNORANT/BLIND TO READ THAT. AGAIN YOU’RE IGNORING THAT FACT THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE FROM THE DEEP SOUTH OF EVERY RACE OF EVERY EDUCATION HAVE DIFFERENT WAYS OF TALKING AND STRONG ACCENTS. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INTELLIGENCE IN MOST CASES.
    WHY IS T-JACK OFTEN COMPARED TO KORDELL STEWART, MIKE VICK, AND QUINCY CARTER AS OPPOSED TO WHITE QB’S PEOPLE FEEL DIDN’T WORK OUT? WHY IS THE IDEA THAT HE’S A RUNNING QUARTERBACK WAY OVERBLOWN?
    THE RACE CARD IS TOO OFTEN BROUGHT UP NEGATIVELY WITH JACKSON WITHOUT PEOPLE ACTUALLY SAYING AND I WISH RACE WAS A NON-ISSUE OR SOMETHING THAT DIDN’T EVEN CROSS PEOPLE’S MINDS BUT IT ISN’T LIKE THAT TO EVERYONE AND IT’S SAD.
    COMMON SENSE IS A WONDERFUL THING TO HAVE AND I HOPE SOMEDAY YOU FIND IT.
    YOU ALSO HAVE A NICE DAY, SIR. :)