Dolphins Counting On Ginn

The Miami Dolphins’ quest to identify a true featured wide receiver for quarterback Chad Pennington to throw to remains an ongoing process.
And the Dolphins are banking on someone currently on the roster, most likely former first-round draft pick Ted Ginn Jr., emerging as a clutch No. 1 wideout, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.
“I would say that, yeah, I would say I feel that way, sure,” Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said.  “Who that guy is, I am not quite sure of yet.  I think there are a couple of contenders out there that I am curious to watch when we get through this whole thing.”
The Dolphins haven’t had a receiver eclipse the 1,000-yard mark since 2005 when Chris Chambers hit that mark.
Last season, Ginn registered a career-high 56 receptions for 790 yards and two touchdowns. As he enters his third NFL season, the speedy former Ohio State star could be on the verge of realizing his potential.
Inconsistency has been Ginn’s primary obstacle since being drafted in 2007.
“We know he has the straight-ahead speed,” quarterback Chad Henne said.  “What we are working on is route running right now.  He is doing what we ask him to do, and right now he is getting a lot of balls, doing a good job using his technique and everything.”

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Dolphins Counting On Ginn”
  1. favrefan2002 says: May 31, 2009 9:41 AM

Ginn Schmin….. OSU Sucks! Go Badgers…. Wait… we never have a QB!

2. tobylaek says: May 31, 2009 10:05 AM

How the hell is Chad Henne, a backup qb with an IQ of about 87, in the position to be “asking” anyone to be doing anything?

3. We_Miss_You_Dan says: May 31, 2009 10:42 AM

I am by no means a talent scout, but I think the Fins are misplacing their hopes in Ginn. As I’ve said before, he needs to hit that 1,000 yard mark to make me believe he is a #1 WR, and sadly I don’t see that happening this season. I really wish Miami would have went after Anquan Boldin or even Coles when he was available. I think we really need a true threat (we have lots of situational ones), even though we don’t have a QB to deliver it yet.

4. Fanball58 says: May 31, 2009 10:47 AM

favrefan2002 – “WhiskeyConsin” hasn’t been worth diddly since Barry retired – since then – everybody in the Big Ten except Indiana and Minnesoda have put Bucky’s head on a stick each fall. Lately the “Whiskey’s” are not even making it to the Outback Bowl.
    Maybe Favre has some NCAA eligibility left and can QB your Jr Cheesehead team this season.

5. HgMeng says: May 31, 2009 12:06 PM

Chad Henne? What has he ever done?

6. 777 says: May 31, 2009 12:59 PM

what about Pat White

7. descendency says: May 31, 2009 2:11 PM

He’s a two slot WR for a team without a one slot.
    So he’s their “WR1″.

8. Unsterblich856 says: May 31, 2009 2:16 PM

I find it funny that the Cardinals essentially have the same player but drafted him in the 5th round. Passing up on Quinn? Good move. Taking Ginn over great talent like Darrelle Revis and Patrick Willis? lol.

9. JoeSixPack says: May 31, 2009 2:29 PM

Dolphins Counting On Ginn… compared to the pre-Parcells years when the Dolphins were dependent on Gin to make it through a season.

10. texasPHINSfan says: Jun 1, 2009 12:11 PM

why are people knocking henne? henne wasn’t being high & mighty, he was relaying information on how postiviely ginn is progressing.
    this really isn’t a story, but people still find something to complain about….