Happy Anniversary To Peter King

Several years ago, Peter King acknowledged our existence in his Monday Morning Quarterback colums, which at once introduced the PFT domain name to a new universe of readers — and which represented sort of an unofficial acknowledgment to the rest of the NFL media that it’s OK to mention the oft-brash and controversial football web site in print or on air.
So he’ll always be an edge piece of the PFT puzzle, and we’d be remiss not to mention that today is King’s 20th anniversary with Sports Illustrated.
In the latest MMQB column, King talks about the significant changes that he has witnessed over the last two decades.
It’s an interesting look from the perspective of a guy who has been there every step of the way — and we say that not just because he found a way to weave us into today’s column.  (But, as usual, it helps.)
So happy anniversary, and thanks for helping us develop a little credibility.  We’ll continue to do our best to squander it.

[yt]knp9-GY6fHE[/yt]

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Happy Anniversary To Peter King”
  1. Mike D says: Jun 1, 2009 3:53 PM

Very talented writer, but his pro-Pats bias is so shameless I dont read his stuff anymore.

2. TheVillain112 says: Jun 1, 2009 3:54 PM

Peter King is one of the worst sports writers in the business.
    The one thing I will give him is that he has credibility. If he lost that he would be Jason Whitlock…

3. KILLER FINS FAN says: Jun 1, 2009 4:00 PM

peter king is a patriots biased ass!!! his knowledge of the sport is non existant!!!

4. Lead_Farmer says: Jun 1, 2009 4:00 PM

Peter King is wrong more than he is right and is not a very good writer, I think I think.

5. redbengal1000 says: Jun 1, 2009 4:10 PM

Peter Kings a dick. He has teams he likes, and ones he hates. Not to mention how bad his rankings always turn out….

6. ChitownBears says: Jun 1, 2009 4:14 PM

He’s national Douchebag of the year 09’……exactly how close can your lips get to his scrotum while your deepthroating him, Florio?

7. Deeznutz says: Jun 1, 2009 4:17 PM

@ Mike D
    Pro-Pats bias? Or just pro-good teams? If he does have a bias, at least he is offsetting Easterbrook a little.
    You know what’s better than PK’s column? KSK’s killing of it every week.

8. F00kFl0ri0 says: Jun 1, 2009 4:17 PM

Bukkake on Florio…… Let’s fill his passion bucket to the brim………

9. Tex Big Balls says: Jun 1, 2009 4:21 PM

Can’t wait for his article that details the 12 course meal he had at some Boston-area restaurant.

10. vcbhome says: Jun 1, 2009 4:36 PM

Barney Rubble – what an actor!
    Seriously, if you spent any time watching the Flintstones growing up then you have to think of that song when “Happy Anniversary” is said.

11. TheBengal13 says: Jun 1, 2009 4:45 PM

I hate Peter King. He is so incredibly homo for the Patriots, it’s ridiculous. He goes from six to midnight when even thinking about the Pats’ logo.

12. Campy5 says: Jun 1, 2009 4:48 PM

I think I think Peter King is a douchebag.
    And the Pats fans hate him almost as much as Tomase and Borges Mike D by the way

13. Campy5 says: Jun 1, 2009 4:49 PM

Also Florio this
    , “It’s an interesting look from the perspective of a guy who has been there every step of the way — and we say that not just because he found a way to weave us into today’s column. (But, as usual, it helps.)”
    made me vomit in my mouth.

14. AdamF says: Jun 1, 2009 5:01 PM

Its fitting that Peter King and Florio are intertwined as they are both fat ass blowhards whose lives consist of daily speculation based on very little substantive evidence. Coincidentally, most of their speculations turn out to be incorrect. They also prove to be two people who inevitably waste of a lot of my time…hence, this post.

15. wowbaka says: Jun 1, 2009 5:14 PM

his column actually introduced me to this site…

16. ghost says: Jun 1, 2009 5:25 PM

Yes…Happy Birthday Peter. May you receive your birthday wish.
    Tom Brady flavored coffee.

17. cardhock says: Jun 1, 2009 5:32 PM

Way to get on your knees Mike! Next time use knee pads and you won’t get bruises.

18. PhillySportsDisappoint says: Jun 1, 2009 6:08 PM

Peter King is a douche and at least half woman for his undying love and coverage of washed up Brett Favre.

19. DanSnyder says: Jun 1, 2009 6:34 PM

Florio at first I thought you might be sincere but then I realized you linked page 2 that just happened to mention your name instead of the beginning of the article. If you are going to write a post like this congratulating Peter then you could at least be kind enough to link the beginning of the article instead of the page that mentions your name.

20. bwisnasky says: Jun 1, 2009 6:38 PM

Peter King is a tool. And not a particularly useful one either.

21. JAXSUN says: Jun 1, 2009 7:13 PM

I’ve been coming here at least five times a day for seven years now? That’s almost as bad as Pacman going to the rippers!

22. stillworker says: Jun 1, 2009 7:48 PM

I wouldn’t take a leak on PK if his clothes were on fire. I’ll give him this tho: He’s every bit as good of a sports writer as Edie Douchette is.

23. myusernamestinks says: Jun 1, 2009 8:57 PM

King found a job with lots of free buffet food, and made it his own.Congratulations, you fat hack. I’m sure your parents are proud.

24. TommyUrbanskisLegs says: Jun 1, 2009 9:25 PM

Peter King is awful, just awful. 90% of his column is repeating word-for-word what management says, or throwaway, pointless garbage from players with no insight or analysis. Plus, don’t forget the absurd, pointless crap from his personal life, his love of coffee, and his man-crush on Brett Favre.
    But, I can’t articulate how ridiculous he is better than kissingsuzykolber does. You guys should add a link to their weekly dismantling of his horrible, inane claptrap. Support a fellow blog as opposed to a guy that defines usless infotainment ‘journalism.’

25. bwisnasky says: Jun 1, 2009 9:46 PM

Peter King is a tool. And not a very helpful one.

26. Lead_Farmer says: Jun 1, 2009 11:18 PM

If SI sees these comments and what people actually think of Peter King, maybe PKingDuck’s free buffets may be coming to an end.
    Florio, take this as a ‘random’ sample. No more Peter King stories on this website.

27. Nshima.com says: Jun 1, 2009 11:57 PM

MMQB used to be a must-read for me. Now it’s a must-skim. I skim through most of the entries on PFT too, but keep coming back, at least twice daily.

28. RedskinPete says: Jun 2, 2009 12:17 AM

Who even buys SI anymore? I think he knows as much about football as drunk knows when to say when.

29. ncoolong says: Jun 2, 2009 6:43 AM

Here’s a topic, Mike, that no writer will ever touch.
    What, exactly, do people want in their sports media? I completely disagree with every commentor’s assessment of Peter King (although the Tom Brady-flavored coffee was a great line). I guess I don’t aim to read writers with whom I agree 100 percent of the time. Is that what people want? Are we to just ignore Brett Favre and Tom Brady?
    I don’t agree with you or PK all the time, but you are the two I read most frequently. I think it was a classy move you mentioned him here, and the fact you clearly regularly frequent each other’s columns shows you’re in touch with the pulse of the media covering the NFL.

30. Mike D says: Jun 2, 2009 7:59 AM

Deeznutz says:
    June 1st, 2009 at 4:17 pm
    @ Mike D
    You know what’s better than PK’s column? KSK’s killing of it every week.
    Deeznutz – Pro-Pats bias. Sure, they are an excellent team and an exceptionally well-run organization, but his bias towards them is over the top IMO. And yea, the KSK weekly bashing of his column is hilarious.

31. joe.attaboy says: Jun 2, 2009 9:52 AM

The scene: The NFL Draft, 1998.
    The Moment: The Jacksonville Jaguars, sitting with a low first-round pick make a last-minute deal with the Buffalo Bills. The Jaguars move up to the Bills’ #8 first round pick. The Bills get the later pick and Jaguars backup quarterback Rob Johnson, a position they needed to fill badly since the retirement of Jim Kelly.
    The Jaguars chose Fred Taylor at #8.
    In his next column, Peter King declares (paraphrasing now) that the Bills got the better part of that swap, because running backs were plentiful in the draft, but you always need a high-quality quarterback. The Jaguars, he was essentially saying, wasted the trade and the pick on Taylor.
    That was the last time I put any weight into anything that spews from that guy’s piehole.

32. stillworker says: Jun 2, 2009 12:13 PM

?? Still tossing PK’s salad …ain’tcha Florio?

33. bwisnasky says: Jun 2, 2009 4:21 PM

No… I don’t want anyone I agree with 100% of the time. Nor do I want anyone that completely crawls up someone’s *ss just because they are the luckiest, or most talented, or best coached team. What I want is sports reporting without bias. If so and so sucks, say so. If so and so is the next hall of famer, say so… but don’t slant your stories to one side or another just because you can. And don’t ignore teams that are on the outs, because eventually, they will turn it around. See the Patsies before the arrival of Brady. See the Colts before the arrival of Manning. See the Cowgirls of the 90’s before the arrival of Aikmen. It’s a cycle for most teams…. Sorry Detroit and Cleveland.. you guys took the short bus for most of your history since the 60’s.

34. bwisnasky says: Jun 2, 2009 4:22 PM

btw… Florio.. linking to the 2nd page where you are mentioned is among the lowest forms of self promotion I’ve ever seen….