Stallworth Arraignment Coming Today

The arraignment of Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth will occur later today in Miami, as previously scheduled.
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Stallworth will formally be charged with DUI Manslaughter for the death of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, who was killed in a collision with Stallworth’s vehicle.
There has been speculation/rumor/hope that Stallworth ultimately will be prosecuted only for DUI, given the challenge of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Stallworth caused or contributed to the death of Mr. Reyes, who was jaywalking when struck.
If convicted, Stallworth won’t receive a Leonard Little-style 90-day sentence.  In Florida, DUI Manslaughter carries a mandatory minimum of four years, with a maximum of 15 years and a sentencing guideline recommendation of ten years.
Stallworth won’t be present at the arraignment, and he will remain free on bond.
A not guilty plea will be entered on his behalf.  The whole thing should take a matter of minutes.
Unless Stallworth has hired Vincent LaGuardia Gambinoi.  (Amazingly, that classic “the next words out of your mouth better be ‘guilty’ or ‘not guilty'” scene from My Cousin Vinny is nowhere to be found on YouTube.)

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
11 Responses to “Stallworth Arraignment Coming Today”
  1. teddybayer says: Jun 4, 2009 7:08 AM

Yout. He’s just a yout.

2. locustsofdeath says: Jun 4, 2009 7:16 AM

I’m honestly not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I’d hate to see Stallworth’s life ruined; he doesn’t seem like a bad guy and even a four-year penalty is tough. But on the other hand, he killed a man, and that person can’t come back to life after 4-15 years…regardless, I hope it doesn’t come down to how much money he has to hire a crew of lawyers to bail him out; I hope the right choice is made.

3. promichael says: Jun 4, 2009 8:02 AM

The best situation is to adhere to the Florida laws and void of
    any other information not made public yet. Convict Stallworth
    on DUI charges only. This way Stallworth can face a civil trial
    or he can offer the Reyas family a settlement. It will not bring
    back Mr. Reyas but it will help his family sooner than later. Mr.
    Reyas was jay walking when the sun was coming up in Florida
    on a causeway. I have driven on that same causeway early in
    the morning and the sun is blinding. Did Stallworth’s drunken
    state cause the death or was it the sun while Mr. Reyas was
    jay walking? There seems to be much reasonable doubt! In
    the prosecutions favor Stallworth at the scene stated that he
    flashed his lights. Wow here come the legal arguments. Well
    I still say convict on DUI only and give the Reyas family alot.

4. Phydeaux says: Jun 4, 2009 8:02 AM

Mike, isn’t that Vincent LaGuardia Gambini, with an I?

5. alewatcher says: Jun 4, 2009 8:30 AM

The one thing that bothered me about this whole incident is I never saw any mention of Stallworth using his brakes to avoid striking Mr. Reyes. Flashing your lights and blowing the horn aren’t attempts to avoid a collision. I wonder if that was one of the deciding factors in his being charged?

6. mholt59 says: Jun 4, 2009 8:33 AM

Mandatory minimum huh? Let’s see who actually gets the mandatory term for their transgressions, Donte or Plaxico. My money is on neither of them facing the mandatory minimums due to their “fame” or “wealth”. You or I however, would likely be facing exactly what the laws on the books decree. Time will tell.

7. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Jun 4, 2009 9:10 AM

Stallworth made a bad choice, the worst thing that could happen happened as a result of it, and now it’s time for him to face the music. It was a mistake, but the results are the results and if that’s the penalty, then that’s the penalty. That being said, if the prosecution is unable to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt and he gets off based on the specific language of the law, I won’t be screaming about rich athletes always getting off.

8. dbartdog says: Jun 4, 2009 9:15 AM

“Let me ax you dis”…..”the two utes”….”The two what”??? They don’t make them like that anymore!

9. dlmcc0505 says: Jun 4, 2009 9:46 AM

I dont feel bad for Stallworth. He has enough money to hire a driver to take him wherever he needs to go 24/7. Theres no excuse for driving drunk especially when you are that rich

10. PJW says: Jun 4, 2009 11:33 AM

Unless Stallworth has hired Vincent LaGuardia Gambinoi. (Amazingly, that classic “the next words out of your mouth better be ‘guilty’ or ‘not guilty’” scene from My Cousin Vinny is nowhere to be found on YouTube.)
    ————
    Neither is the question posed by Gwynne “You on drugs?”
    Could of used that clip maaaaaaaaany many times.

11. SpartaChris says: Jun 4, 2009 1:00 PM

dlmcc0505 says:
    June 4th, 2009 at 9:46 am

Exactly. You know the risks when you get behind the wheel, so there is no excuse. The league really needs to stiffen the punishment for DUI’s, even in cases where no one is injured and the player is simply arrested. Given the resources these athletes have, there is absolutely NO excuse to get behind the wheel when you’ve been out drinking. None.