LaRon Landry A Chronic No-Show In D.C.

Third-year safety LaRon Landry, the sixth overall draft pick two years ago, has avoided offseason workouts for a second straight year.
And the Redskins are getting frustrated with him.
After Landry missed Wednesday’s OTA session, his position coach was blunt.
I’m very disappointed because everyone else is here,” safeties coach Steve Jackson said, according to John Keim of the Washington Examiner. “I’ll be candid with you:  He has to be here in the offseason not so much just because it’s OTAs, but his teammates are here and there are a lot of things we’re discussing that he’s a part of that he has no idea are even going on — calls, coverages, techniques.
“He’s our free safety and he’s the one who has to get the ball rolling.  As he improves, our defense usually improves, but when he’s not here . . . .”
(It’s a good thing that NFLPA Executive Director De Smith is a Redskins fan.  Otherwise, action might be taken against this blatant violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which prevents team officials from saying anything to suggest that voluntary workouts aren’t voluntary.)
To make matter worse, head coach Jim Zorn said Thursday that Landry is ignoring calls and text messages from Zorn.
I think it’s disappointing to his teammates as well,” Zorn said, according to Barry “I Need To Go On Wheel Of Fortune And Buy A Vowel” Svrluga of the Washington Post.  “But he’s going to be ready.  I fully expect him to be ready in training camp and go hard and have a great year.  I’m not as concerned about him missing as just being a part of what his teammates are doing and the kind of stuff we’re trying to implement here.  He’s going to be set back a little bit because of maybe a new concept here or there, but he’s a tremendous athlete, and I think he’ll be a good teammate.”
But is there a deeper issue?  We’ve heard some suggestions that perhaps there could be, and whispers that Landry possibly wants out of D.C.
Indeed, the organization apparently assumes that Landry is working out a couple thousand miles from Redskins Park.  “You don’t go to Arizona to become a player; maybe to get in shape but not to become a player,” Jackson said Wednesday.
But we’ve been told that, at least at times, Landry has been hanging out in the Washington area.
So we’ll keep an eye on this one.  In the end, the player picked right before Adrian Peterson could be playing for another team.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
20 Responses to “LaRon Landry A Chronic No-Show In D.C.”
  1. TheDPR says: Jun 5, 2009 8:39 AM

There shouldn’t even BE voluntary workouts. Either practice is required or don’t have an organized practice. The system that’s set up is stupid and should change in the new CBA.

2. whodattiger12 says: Jun 5, 2009 8:51 AM

He has been down in his hometown of Luling, LA a lot lately. My brother-in-law is currently painting his car…how about that for a headline?

3. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Jun 5, 2009 8:52 AM

__________
    Well the Cardinals have two winning seasons in the 20 years they’ve been there that disagree, so….in your face, Steve Jackson.

4. RobJH says: Jun 5, 2009 9:04 AM

Percy Harvin wants some of that Chronic.

5. gameday says: Jun 5, 2009 9:07 AM

It’s still the same the Redskins, so don’t expect any deep playoff run anyway. As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, they will always be what they are……………a mediocre team.

6. Hype says: Jun 5, 2009 9:09 AM

ITs not mandatory but you have to be here for your teammates. We are going over things that he has to be here for..but its not mandatory…..STFU with this crap on OTA’s. Every year players miss them for whatever reason….who cares. Let me know when Wilfork misses his mandatory sessions…

7. Leonitas21 says: Jun 5, 2009 9:17 AM

Here we go again with the “We’ve heard”. “We” know your a Philthy fan and like to ruffle the proverbial feathers of Redskins fans. But to put rumors out there w/o a source is just unprofessional. I love looking at this website but it sucks that it has absolutely no credibility because you can’t post your source. I also love how when you get a story right, you celebrate by posting a “We were right” blurb but when something isn’t right, we never hear anything about again. It’s laughable that you consider yourself a journalist.

8. DP PHILA says: Jun 5, 2009 9:40 AM

IMO, Landry should go Iverson:
    “We’re sitting here, and I’m supposed to be the franchise player, and we’re talking about practice. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about practice man. How silly is that? … Now I know that I’m supposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice man. We’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you’ve seen me play right, you’ve seen me give everything I’ve got, but we’re talking about practice right now. … Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about practice man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about practice … How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?”

9. Wrathchild says: Jun 5, 2009 9:50 AM

He’s busy…

10. rew14478 says: Jun 5, 2009 10:00 AM

Don’t players usually have incentives written in their contracts for showing up at OTA/s? Obviously, $ more than winning motivates 60% of the players in the league so it’s gonna have to boil down to $ if they miss OTA/s. To be a good TEAM, you gotta put the time in as a TEAM. If you just want to be a good player, you can go workout on your own period

11. db3300 says: Jun 5, 2009 10:03 AM

“But to put rumors out there w/o a source is just unprofessional.”
    Hey Einstein, maybe you haven’t noticed that this page is called “Latest News and Rumors”. A rumor does not generally have a confirmed source. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be called a rumor.
    Landry is further proof that a rookie salary cap is needed and will eventually be installed. When both the owners and the veterans understand the problem, it’s going to happen at some point. Landry will never earn the money from his first contract. In the real world, the guy would be working the drive-thru at KFC.

12. skinsfan53 says: Jun 5, 2009 10:26 AM

I’d still like to hear where these “suggestions” are coming from that Landry wants out of DC.
    I love how any headline about the Redskins results in at least one comment about the Redskins never getting over the mediocre hump, regardless of whether or not the headline has anything to do with it. I agree that Snyder doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing, but that has nothing to do with Landry skipping voluntary workouts.

13. Leonitas21 says: Jun 5, 2009 10:41 AM

db3300,
    Einstein, thanks for the compliment. This might be hard for you to fathom, but try anyways. You can still post a source for the rumor! If you read the same blurb I did, it says, “We’ve heard some suggestions,” implicating that someone SAID (that means physically spoke) that Landry wants out of D.C. right? So, what I’m saying to Florio, your best friend, is that if he posts a source, this site would have a lot more credibility. “A rumor does not generally have a confirmed source.” Really? The point is genius, that a rumor with a source would hold more water than without. And I was simply stating that there are too many, “We’ve heard” with no source. So how do we know, that “We’ve heard” isn’t a code for “We just made this up to get people talking?”

14. whodattiger12 says: Jun 5, 2009 10:52 AM

I don’t see why they even want him to practice. That dude is cold blooded killer on the field and would likely take out several receivers before the season starts.

15. Proman1 says: Jun 5, 2009 10:54 AM

Ofcourse Landry wants out of D.C. He plays for a crap team and organization and gets run over by Brandon Jacobs twice a year. I’d want out too.

16. gameday says: Jun 5, 2009 11:00 AM

skinsfan53 says:
    June 5th, 2009 at 10:26 am
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Who says a comment has to have anything to do with the headline?
    Why so thin skinned?
    Dont cry, one day your team will do some damage in the playoffs again, but it wont be anytime soon.
    So how about Landry is a perfect example of the typical Redskin, overpaid, overpussified,and underperforming. he lacks the will to get better and be a winner like all Redskin players
    Remember how Jacobs ran him over like a freight train? LMAO!!
    Ok, there, I made a comment that has something to do with the headline. Happy Now?
    I actually was being generous with the “mediocre” comment.
    I should have said the Skins will always be overpaid,underperforming losers as long as Snyder owns the team

17. whuteva says: Jun 5, 2009 11:24 AM

Florio, there wasn’t anything that those coaches said that suggest the practicces are involuntary. They just described their disappointment that he didn’t show up, while the rest of his teammates have. They’re just pretty much calling him out for doing his own thing away from the team. They didn’t say he was supposed to be here because this is a mandatory session.
    And I’m no Deadskins fan, either!

18. Mangy66 says: Jun 5, 2009 11:49 AM

This….
    (It’s a good thing that NFLPA Executive Director De Smith is a Redskins fan. Otherwise, action might be taken against this blatant violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which prevents team officials from saying anything to suggest that voluntary workouts aren’t voluntary.)
    …is why Florio is a bastard.
    G’head Flo-Rida….show us how big those britches are. Get those Redskins in trouble.

19. Anonymousdolfan says: Jun 5, 2009 8:51 PM

It’s totally stupid to criticize a guy for missing VOLUNTARY activities, and then suggest that he won’t know the playbook because he missed voluntary stuff.
    It’s like the idiot boss from Office Space saying “yeah, we’re going to need you to come in on Saturday”
    Besides, who cares if he doesn’t know the playbook. This is the Redskins, they’re going to have new coaches and new coordinators by the time he learns the new stuff anyways, so why bother?

20. Mangy66 says: Jun 5, 2009 10:59 PM

#
    # Anonymousdolfan says:
    June 5th, 2009 at 8:51 pm
    ———————-
    That sounded like a retarded kid trying to explain rocket science.