Favre: "My Intentions Are Not To Create Controversy"

During a live HBO interview with Joe Buck tonight, retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre made it clear that he’s very serious about potentially playing football again.
That is, provided his surgically repaired shoulder cooperates and the Minnesota Vikings work out a contract with the former NFL Most Valuable Player.
When asked if he plans to play football again, Favre was noncommittal, though. He answered Buck’s question with one word: “Maybe.”
When asked later about the prospects of playing for the Vikings, Favre replied: “I am considering it.”
Dressed casually in a black T-shirt and jeans, Favre appeared relaxed. Yet, Favre acknowledged that it has been a roller coaster ride over the past few years as he has straddled the line between retirement and continuing to play the game.
“It is,” Favre said. “I know people are tired of it. As we talked prior to the show, my intentions are not to create controversy.
“It is what it is. I haven’t watched anything. I did see satellite trucks outside our gate. I was sneaking outside our back gate. I don’t know. It’s crazy. I try not to pay attention.”
Favre acknowledged having surgery last month. He had his partially torn biceps tendon repaired and said it will be a few more weeks before he can really test out his right arm with a total recovery time of four to six weeks.
“About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I had surgery with Dr. James Andrews,” Favre said. “More or less, I can throw and I could throw before the surgery, but I couldn’t throw late in the year last season. Certain throws hurt. I had pain in my neck and down my arm. When I left the first time, I knew I needed surgery and I didn’t want to have it.
“If it feels better, I’m rehabbing. I have talked to the Vikings, but nothing more than, ‘Are you interested?’ and vice versa. I’ve had the procedure, which they know. It’s more or less how my arm feels and we’ll go from there.”
Favre confirmed that a Vikings trainer visited him in Mississippi on Sunday. He pointed out that no Vikings coach visited him, which had been previously reported last week by ESPN.com.
“I met with their trainer yesterday,” Favre said. “All it was about was going through some exercises, some stretching, band work.”
Favre said that he’s only talking with the Vikings.
“That’s all I’ve talked to, yeah,” Favre said. “It makes perfect sense as far as coming back to an offense I’ve run for 16 years. I could teach the offense. It was tough going to New York last year. I was two weeks late, totally new offense. [Jets offensive coordinator] Brian Schottenheimer and [former Jets coach] Eric Mangini were great with me. We condensed it, but it was like learning a foreign language.”
Favre considers the Vikings to be a contender with star running back Adrian Peterson operating as the centerpiece of the offense.
“It makes a lot of sense,” Favre said. “The pieces are in place. They have a great running back. They have a great running game. If I go there, there are no guarantees.
“I would like to think that every player would think they’re a difference-maker. I think in that situation, understanding what is expected of you, knowing your team, knowing that as long as we can run the ball and complete the ball when needed, we should be pretty good.”
Notice Favre said “we” in referring to the Vikings.
Buck asked what would it take for him to end his retirement and suit up again.
Favre’s reply: “First and foremost, you can’t go past the arm. If that’s not up to par, when the time comes, then I can’t play. I went through it last year, and yeah, I gutted it out, or whatever. But it affected me, and it affected our team, and I don’t want to do it again, and I won’t do it again.
“That is why I went ahead and had the surgery. I had the procedure done and as I rehab and if it ever gets to the point where it feels like it did before it started hurting, then we’ll see where it is.”
Favre said there was never a deadline imposed by Vikings coach Brad Childress for him to show up for an Organized Team Activity.
“No,” Favre said. “It’s not like I talk to those guys every day. Coach Childress did ask if I would go to OTA’s and I chose not to. You can pick sides on this. I think both sides are right. He wanted me to be there to be a part of the team knowing there’s no guarantee that my arm will be like it was before.
“I figured it would be a media frenzy if I was there and a media frenzy if I couldn’t play later on. Why not just have one media frenzy? It’s either all or nothing with me.”
When it comes to the criticism from former Vikings quarterback Fran Tarkenton and the question of whether he’s tarnishing his legacy, Favre didn’t seem to let it bother him.
“I think the 16 years I spent in Green Bay speaks for itself,” Favre said. “This whole process, I was talking to Chad [Ochocinco] backstage and there are people in your corner no matter what and people who aren’t going to like you, no matter what. You know what?
“There are those that we get letters from all the time, nice e-mails from such and such, but my wife never shows me the bad ones. There are people who don’t give a damn. I totally understand that. It is what it is. Whether it’s right or wrong, who’s to say? I’m trying my best not to fuel the fire even though I am.”
Favre said he got some advice from retired broadcaster and NFL coach John Madden.
“When you’re gone and you’re away from this game, you just can’t go back,” Favre said. “I’m 40 years old in October. I’m not getting any younger. Things you think about at 39, you think about at 25. I get the same response from my family when I asked them what I should do: ‘Whatever you want to do, dad.'”
Many Packers fans are angry that Favre would even consider wearing the Vikings’ purple.
“I don’t know what to tell them,” Favre said. “Vince Lombardi went to the Washington Redskins. I don’t hear people saying, ‘That damn traitor, he went to Washington.’
“Time heals a lot of things. Did some things happen there that may have ruffled the feathers for both sides? Yes. They chose to go in a different direction and that’s okay. I chose to play again and that’s okay. It’s football. It’s not life or death.”
Favre wasn’t asked specifically if he’s returning to play again to get revenge on Packers General Manager Ted Thompson.
Favre’s final answer dealt with being a celebrity in the sports world.
“As I got older, I cared less about what’s going on besides football,” Favre said. “I would go hunting, come back, go to the stadium. That was it. Twelve years ago when I quit drinking, I stopped going out to bars and doing things like that.
“I wouldn’t trade these 12 years for nothing. I’m at peace. I don’t want people to say, ‘There’s such and such.’ It doesn’t turn me on the way it once did. People are going to take sides and say, ‘He’s full of crap.’ I can’t change that.”
The show was billed as a discussion of athletes and celebrity.
Prior to Favre’s appearance, there was a lengthy segment of Favre highlights and interviews with the Packers before retiring for the first time followed by Favre ending his retirement and being traded to the Jets before retiring once again.
Then, the latest Favre watch was detailed, including shots of Scott Hanson of NFL Network reporting from outside Favre’s Mississippi home.
After a camera shot of Favre getting some powder applied to his face backstage from a makeup girl, Favre and Buck went through an attempted comedy bit where Favre promised Buck that he would be the first guest in the history of the program.
And so Favre was, leaving the distinct impression that if his arm cooperates then he’ll lace up his cleats one more time.

Permalink 101 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
101 Responses to “Favre: "My Intentions Are Not To Create Controversy"”
  1. Dolemite79 says: Jun 15, 2009 9:39 PM

As a sidenote the Joe Buck show is terrible…………

2. bullet907 says: Jun 15, 2009 9:41 PM

What did Artie Lange have to say?

3. cramjones says: Jun 15, 2009 9:42 PM

There’s no I in FteaVREm, but here sure is me….FaVRE

4. myasylum says: Jun 15, 2009 9:43 PM

“We should be pretty good.” – I think that says it all.

5. misterj says: Jun 15, 2009 9:46 PM

Note how he mentions Lombardi to the Skins. The Skins, who have been long hated rivals of the Packers. Oh wait.
    No one buys his good old boy act anymore except the people who report for ESPN.

6. Chev says: Jun 15, 2009 9:46 PM

“Notice he said, ‘we,’ in referring to the Vikings.”
    I see you caught that. Adam Schein probably did as well. So we’ll have to hear about this for the next week…

7. Philtration says: Jun 15, 2009 9:47 PM

The league then steps in and as a complete surprise they move the Vikings to the NFC West and shift the Rams to the NFC Central before he can play against the Packers.

8. hayward giablommi says: Jun 15, 2009 9:48 PM

I stumbled upon a few minutes of this interview, which was about all I could take.
    His loosely comparing his situation to Vince Lombardi showed out out of touch he really is. He appears that he may legitimately have no clue as to why any of his fans in Green Bay would be alienated by his act.
    I am torn as to whether this guy is just a calculating, manipulative egomaniac who is hell bent on getting what he wants or possibly mentally ill (bipolar?). Maybe its a combination of the two. I dunno.
    Either way, no matter how much the Favre apologists will bombard this and other sites with comments, I fail to see how Favre was wronged in any way, shape or form by Green Bay or Ted Thompson.

9. Lead_Farmer says: Jun 15, 2009 9:49 PM

“They chose to go in a different direction and that’s okay.”
    Hahahahahaha! That’s OK. What a joker this guy is. You gotta love him! He divided an entire fan-base, bashed Ted Thompson & Mike McCarthy and went on Greta Van Sustran to say it definitely wasn’t OK to go in another direction. And now to find out he was just kidding.
    Man, forget coming back to pro football. He should do stand-up comedy tour!

10. Bob_Nelson says: Jun 15, 2009 9:53 PM

At 50 he will be playing in Canada.

11. bigfog says: Jun 15, 2009 9:53 PM

He’s got the right to play, but as a fan I have the right to say he’s a complete idiot and his Green Bay career is tarnished once he puts on that purple puke jersey.
    The difference between Favre and Lombardi is that Lombardi didn’t join the Redskins on some half-assed revenge tour against his old team. Lombardi was man enough to know that once he retired from Green Bay, he couldn’t go back. Favre, has yet and will likely never, learn that difference.
    Just another case of never meeting your heroes.

12. tommyt39 says: Jun 15, 2009 9:54 PM

PFT rocks! always the first on board for NFL news!!!
    I hope the Vikings get Brett. I will be one of the first in line to get a #4 Farve Jersey.
    It will be great to see that Jersey in the Hall of Fame as he gets the most consecutive starts streak from Jim Marshall! A Viking passing a Viking for the most consecutive starts. Poetic justice.
    What say you GB?!

13. packerswin says: Jun 15, 2009 9:59 PM

Good!

14. ron7098 says: Jun 15, 2009 10:03 PM

That was short and to the point.

15. blackglass3 says: Jun 15, 2009 10:04 PM

Yes Brett, it’s the exact same thing. Everyone knows what bitter rivals the Packers and Redskins are.
    Jesus H, what a friggin goober. Good luck Vikings fans.

16. Agamemnon says: Jun 15, 2009 10:04 PM

I spent, what 16 years, hating Favre because he was with the enemy. It was probably the losses he handed my team; it was probably jealousy at going to the Superbowl and winning. Now that he’s coming to my team, my perspective certainly has changed. (Well, that and watching his former team go 6 and 10 without him helps too.) This is what I found in the interview:
    He came off as genuine. I don’t expect Packer fans to see it that way, but that’s how I perceive him from my point of view. It is also apparent that he loves to play football. I believe he just wants to play. If the Packers still ran the same system and didn’t already have a young QB they want to groom and grow with, he likely would go back there. I don’t believe he wants to stick it to the Packers, their fans, or especially Thompson (although, I also think he will feel a little justified if he can be successful in MN.) I think he just doesn’t want to quit. Montana went to KC. Rice to Oakland. The list of great players that went to other teams is long. How many went to the hated enemy?
    One last thing. Now that my perspective has changed, I can now see why Favre was so loved in Green Bay. He has a mannerism that makes him just so….likeable. If he were never coming to the Vikes, I likely would never have watched the interview. And I would probably still hate him, but have a grudging respect for his ability.
    Now, the only question that remains is will Madden come out of retirement one more year to continue his mancrush?

17. pbwell says: Jun 15, 2009 10:05 PM

Things seem so much clearer when we actually get to hear from Favre…I guess ESPN and all the other “media” outlets now have enough clips to roll for the next several weeks until he makes a decision. I like the fact that Favre does what he wants…it’s HIS life and HIS career.

18. DGNR8 says: Jun 15, 2009 10:11 PM

yay

19. ShaqAttaqer says: Jun 15, 2009 10:11 PM

Florio – Please tell me you kept watchin to see Artie Lange completely annihilate the end of Joe Buck’s show.

20. iammongo says: Jun 15, 2009 10:14 PM

“When I left the first time, I knew I needed surgery and I didn’t want to have it.”
    Wow – did he just admit that he went to the Jets with a bum shoulder? Did they know it?

21. Rossy P says: Jun 15, 2009 10:16 PM

wow this guys a real mental midget

22. Vox Veritas says: Jun 15, 2009 10:17 PM

“Vince Lombardi went to the Washington Redskins. I don’t hear people saying, ‘That damn traitor, he went to Washington.’”
    You ain’t Lombardi, hayseed.
    “It’s football. It’s not life or death.”
    Romo said that a few months ago and was villified for it.
    “I wouldn’t trade these 12 years for nothing.”
    Nice grammar.
    “Favre getting some powder applied to his face”
    Madden’s so old he discharges dust?

23. Brewster says: Jun 15, 2009 10:18 PM

Yawn.

24. Fan_of_Football says: Jun 15, 2009 10:25 PM

Great interview Brett

25. Debaser says: Jun 15, 2009 10:25 PM

Ah yes, the morons argument of “but but but Lombardi went to the Redskins”.
    Lombardi actually retired from coaching for a year and then went to the East Coast where he came from and when he didn’t get named to the board. He didn’t bash the Packers, he didn’t send his Mommy out to bash the GM, he didn’t send his drunk leech of a brother out to start holding calls with the press, and he didn’t appear on a hack political “pundits” show in order to bash the Packers, the GM, the head coach, and the QB.
    Lombardi also didn’t hold dramatic off seasons for 6 years in a row being and attention whore about whether he’s coming back or not.
    Lombardi also didn’t retire, unretire, and retire in the span of 3 weeks and then act like a little baby about it.
    Finally, Lombardi didn’t publicly state he wanted to “stick it” to the Packers.
    But, yeah, Brett, it’s EXACTLY the same thing.

26. PackFan4Ever says: Jun 15, 2009 10:27 PM

And there you have it folks…..

27. lito says: Jun 15, 2009 10:28 PM

Go Bret go.

28. fav-rah says: Jun 15, 2009 10:29 PM

“I would like to think that every player would think they’re a difference-maker. I think in that situation, understanding what is expected of you, knowing your team, knowing that as long as WE can run the ball and complete the ball when needed, WE should be pretty good.”
    Notice Favre said, ‘we,’ in referring to the Vikings.
    Buck asked what would it take for him to end his retirement and suit up again.
    Favre’s reply: “First and foremost, you can’t go past the arm. If that’s not up to par, when the time comes, then I can’t play. I went through it last year, and yeah, I gutted it out, or whatever. But it affected me, and it affected OUR team, and I don’t want to do it again, and I won’t do it again.
    Hey, Aaron Wilson, insert the following here: “NOTICE FAVRE SAID, ‘OUR’, IN REFERRING TO THE JETS.

29. Fan_of_Football says: Jun 15, 2009 10:30 PM

iammongo says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 10:14 pm
    Negative. He was talking about after the Jets season and what lead to his retirement. You either got his quote wrong, or part or it is cut off, but it was clear as day he was talking about after the jets season.

30. TheCoop says: Jun 15, 2009 10:32 PM

Actually, I found the Joe Buck show interesting because all during the interview, I could not decide who is a bigger douche, Buck or Brett….

31. neutral_like_sweden says: Jun 15, 2009 10:33 PM

Favre doesn’t create controversy; this site does it for him.

32. jjklaw99 says: Jun 15, 2009 10:34 PM

Artie Lang was much more insightful than Favre…LOL. Classic!!!

33. vegas42 says: Jun 15, 2009 10:36 PM

Vox, are you really taking shots at someone’s grammar in the same post in which you tell the hayseed that something “ain’t” what he says? Oh wait, that was intentional ironic humor, right? Oh, okay, I get it!

34. NFLJunkie says: Jun 15, 2009 10:37 PM

This guy is an overhyped piece of trash. He is washed up and coming off a surgery. He throws too many INT’s even when he’s healthy. This is a terrible and desperate move for the Vikings. They will now set their franchise back at least one year by signing this has-been. Vikings, 8-8. Write it down.

35. oldschool says: Jun 15, 2009 10:38 PM

I missed the interview I am spending way too much time on fat-tube lately.

36. TheDPR says: Jun 15, 2009 10:38 PM

“It makes perfect sense as far as coming back to an offense I’ve run for 16 years. I could teach the offense.”
    Oh great. Next year after everyone else in the NFL finally figures out that Favre has been washed up for some time now, we’ll have to put up with the “will he or won’t he” regarding Favre’s becoming an offensive coordinator for some hapless team.

37. CaptainFantastik says: Jun 15, 2009 10:38 PM

Yeah those #4 Jets jerseys were hot sellers for about a minute, now they’re being used as grease rags in auto shops all over NJ and NY.
    I can’t wait to see james Harrison or Lamaar Woodley end his career (maybe even his life) on the field when the Steelers crush the Purple Reach-arounders.

38. Great Falconi says: Jun 15, 2009 10:41 PM

The only team that would be worse for Brett to go to is the Bears.
    Vince Lombardi went to the Redskins, but the Redskins were not a big rival. If I were a Packer fan, I’d want to see one of our guys break that traitor’s damn leg.

39. Adverbially the Superlative says: Jun 15, 2009 10:41 PM

I didn’t see the interview, but did BRETT FAVRE actually say the words:
    “It’s all or nothing with me…” with a STRAIGHT FACE?!?!
    (HBO always has had some pretty good comedy specials).
    Also, Joe Buck gets my nomination for “Spineless Glad-handing Softball-Questioner of the Decade” for not simply asking him outright:
    “How much of this desire to play is really just spite for the Packers organization–a desire to come back and get some measure of revenge?”
    Then, when Favre “genuinely, likeably” (puke) LIES and says that it’s all just about a genuine love of playing, he should have followed up with:
    “If it’s all just about playing football, why not just go back to the Jets?”
    Finally, my nomination for most meaningless, over-used cliche in sports today:
    “It is what it is.”
    Profound it ain’t.
    “Shit is what shit is” would carry much more significance, if you ask me, especially in regards to this interview.
    (Now, having said all that, I DO hope Favre returns, so the Bears can feast on his turnovers once again, and so he can set the Vikings franchise back by at least three years…welcome back, Brett!!)

40. Michael LaRocca says: Jun 15, 2009 10:45 PM

I just can’t believe
    All the things people say
    Controversy
    Am I black or white?
    Am I straight or gay?
    Controversy

41. jrmbadger says: Jun 15, 2009 10:46 PM

.tommyt39 says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 9:54 pm
    PFT rocks! always the first on board for NFL news!!!
    What say you GB?!
    I say – Good luck buddy. Remember, your not getting the Brett Favre – 3 time MVP super bowl champion Brett Favre. You’re getting the drama queen 40 year old over the hill aging BF. His problem with New York was not the injury so much as it was the fact that his arm is loosing velocity. Couple that with his erratic decision making (which he ALWAYS had) and you get more INTs. He never was a good decision maker (he also has the record for the most INT’s of any qb), its just that he used to be able to throw the ball so hard he could fit the ball in places no-one else could OR the ball was thrown too darn hard for a defender to catch it. Trust me, I’ve watched him since snap #1 in Green Bay.
    I also truly believe that he will take you far, but not to the SB. Why? He’s not good enough anymore and he knows it. Watch the NFC championship game and watch how he behaved – he didn’t want to be there. ONe of the biggest games of the year and he didn’t want to be there. His behavior is a far cry from the childish exhuberance he showed in the ’96 superbowl. Shows you his current commitment to the game. He wants to play in September, but when it gets cold and crappy and the season starts to wear on, his mind turns to his tractor in Mississippi.
    Not only that, but kiss T-Jax and Sage goodbye. All for one shot at glory. Better hope you get there.
    Oh, just so everyone knows – BF does NOT TEACH anyone ANYTHING – just ask Aaron Rodgers. He says so himself – he is not a teacher.
    Good luck, you’re gonna need it.

42. Kidekk says: Jun 15, 2009 10:47 PM

Sure, as a fans you can hate him, but why should Brett Favre really care what the fans have to say about what he does with his life. Sure, it seems petty because it looks like he’s doing it just to get back at the Pack, but that’s only 2 games out of 16 or more. Does anyone really have Brett’s best interests in mind, or their own selfish interests of not wanting him to play football or keeping (well, the media is keeping his story alive because what other football news is there to report on) Favre stories out of their sight. Let the man do what he wants to do because if it was his time to go and he couldn’t play anymore, the Vikes wouldn’t be interested in signing him, the Jets wouldn’t have traded for him, and the Packers wouldn’t have put in the stipulations it included in the trade to prevent him from playing for the Vikes. The Pack wanted to move on, he wanted to keep on playing. If you want to blame anyone when he signs with the Vikes, blame the Packers. It was a business decision, and the fact that they wanted to force him to retire with that marketing package they were giving him shows that they cared more about him not playing for anyone else and continuing to make a buck off of him than want he wanted to do with his life.
    I, too, find the constant barrage of Favre news ridiculous, but don’t hate the guy for things that he can’t control. He doesn’t owe it to anyone to speak to the media, and can’t be blamed for being silent. Now that he’s spoken maybe some of you will get off his balls, take a breath, and let the man do what he wants.

43. wooderson says: Jun 15, 2009 10:49 PM

Farve is the type of guy that would be your best friend but bang your girlfriend. Then when you confronted him he’d offer some BS response that he didn’t realize she was your girlfriend. Then he’d bang your roomates’ girlfriend, and so on and so on…the guy is an asshole. All these guys are assholes. They are the same assholes that busted your ass in gym class. Bet on them, make money on them, and F them. Good night. And good for you Florio, for making tons of dough off of them. The geeks need to take over. These ditch diggers are making way too much money.

44. fabs115 says: Jun 15, 2009 10:49 PM

Artie was crazy at the end wow. Talk about taking it too far and being a dick.

45. gb151 says: Jun 15, 2009 10:51 PM

As a Green Bay fan, this is like having your ex-girlfriend try to rationalize with you as she kisses the class a-hole. What sucks more… you’re not over her.

46. c.carterhof says: Jun 15, 2009 10:51 PM

Wrong again bob nelson! Oh wait, I wonder if the vikes can afford old Bart. Or maybe his arm wont heal. Keep tryin. Your a joke bob, just like your team.

47. Philtration says: Jun 15, 2009 10:52 PM

And this is why he loved being in Green Bay. He played you for a fool.
    As dumb as this hillbilly is, he could always find comfort in the fact that he was still smarter than the 70,000 brain dead goobers that were kissing his ass every Sunday.
    His shit kicker act would have never made it in any other NFL location.
    God I hope he plays for the Vikings this year.
    Please let me see him get his ass slammed to the frozen ground in Chicago a few more times.

48. darth_vincent says: Jun 15, 2009 10:55 PM

just a reminder for everyone…. he had a contract with the Packers and he quit, he had a contract with the Jets and he quit… BF always comes across as genuine, it’s just you don’t which day of the month it is and what side of the fence he’s prepared to be “genuine” about…
    good luck Vikqueens…. you’re going to need every bit of it…. ‘cuz the Pack will sweep both games from you this year.

49. camprandle says: Jun 15, 2009 10:57 PM

Joe Buck needs to check his facts saying that he never had a superstar running back or a line. What a slap in the face to Ahman Green, Mike Flanagan, Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera, Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton.
    If I remember correctly Green had nearly 1,800 yds. rushing for the season and over 200 at Philly in the playoffs before Favre blew the game with one of his famous pop-flies off his back foot right to Brian Dawkins in OT.
    If he couldn’t do it 6 years ago in his prime when he had a running game, an offensive line, along with a good receiving corps. (which the Vikings don’t have) how is he going to do it now?
    Have fun getting your hearts broken in the playoffs Vikes fans, just warning ya!

50. ron7098 says: Jun 15, 2009 11:01 PM

Philtration says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 9:47 pm
    “My dream ending to the Brett Favre drama would be for him to sign with the Vikings and the very next day they announce that they are moving the team to L.A.
    Just the thought of this redneck kicking and screaming on the trailer floor makes me smile.”
    Your an idiot in more ways than one! By the way, who plays in the NFC Central? I didn’t realize the NFL came up with new divisions for all the morons.

51. c.carterhof says: Jun 15, 2009 11:11 PM

Nobody to blame but your own front office cheesers. Its gonna be fun. But, uhoh, the vikings have a QB……

52. fitz28 says: Jun 15, 2009 11:42 PM

Everyone is so wrapped up in Favres flip flopping no one has really stepped back and looked at the Vikings with Favre at Q.B. No more 8 men in the box to stop Peterson? Favre will pick you apart with 8 or Adrian goes for 250 with out. Remember these names. Berrian,Rice,Shianco,Allison,Kliensasser,Taylor and last but not least this years #1 pick Percy Harvin.Favre is going to put these guys on the highlight reels every week.Harvin will be rookie of the year and with the return of Henderson the defence will be #1! Favre and Chilly know they have something special and so does Ted Thompson who will be out a job after the Vikes destroy the Packers twice! Beware the Purple Storm!

53. Buttered Izel Jenkins says: Jun 15, 2009 11:44 PM

This is just piling on at this point, but for the few minutes of that show I watched, even Artie couldn’t save it. It was smug, humorless, and basically unwatchable. Just like Joe Buck!

54. Lead_Farmer says: Jun 15, 2009 11:45 PM

c.carterhof, can you leave your job, retire, get asked back and say no countless times, and then the day before the the guy who is going to replace you comes to work you ask to come back? You’d be a complete douchebag for doing this. So, Minnesota Viking fan if you want a forty-year-old douche for a quarterback who is going to break down halfway through the season then please be my guest. The Packers move on and have a good, young quarterback for years to come.
    What are the Vikings going to do with this band-aid? Go back to Tavaris? Or maybe John David Bootie will finally be able to play in the NFL.
    This will end up for Vikings fans the same way it always has and always will. With them not getting to sniff the Lombardi trophy.
    Have fun when your team moves to Los Angeles, Vikings fans.

55. jrmbadger says: Jun 15, 2009 11:48 PM

“c.carterhof says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 11:11 pm

haha good luck with that. Ask Jets fans how that worked out for them!

56. fav-rah says: Jun 15, 2009 11:57 PM

“Otay”… I have got to get this off my chest. Now, I do realize I am not perfect with the English language in terms of spelling and grammar, but c’mon people, are you serious? Short & sweet lesson here:
    Your = you are = you’re
    Should of = should have = should’ve
    …AND, finally, because Brett Lorenzo Favre is eternal and will play to infinity and beyond, I will bid sweet adieu with this ‘lil diddy from his glory years (or to put it in even further perspective, the year BLF was drafted by the Falcons and/or traded to the Packers depending on the release date from KLF that you choose):
    BLF is gonna rock you
    are you ready (unh huh, unh huh) [ANCIENTS OF MU MU]
    BLF, BLF is gonna rock you
    BLF!
    are you ready (unh huh, unh huh) [ANCIENTS OF MU MU]
    (Eterrrnallll)
    Eternal
    BLF is gonna rock you, ‘cos you hafta
    Move to the flow of the pyramid-blaster
    Bass ballistics . . . I’m gonna kick this HARD
    An’ you can catch it
    Down with the crew crew
    Talkin’ ’bout the MU MU
    Justified Ancient Liberation Zulu
    Got to teach, an’ everything you learn’ll
    Point to the fact that time is Eternal
    It’s Three A.M., Three A.M.
    It’s Three A.M. eternal
    Eternal
    Got to see that everywhere I turn will
    Point to the fact that time is Eternal
    BLF!

57. Yuleluder says: Jun 15, 2009 11:59 PM

I love these packer fans. They talk like their team is great. Yet their defense is moving to a 3-4 forcing their best pass rusher to play olb. They have two old cb’s and an outta of position olb. Explain to me how they plan on stopping All day and Chester. The fudge packers should have let Kampman sign with vikes now hes just miserable. I bet Kampman is wondering what it would be like to be a viking now. I bet Detroit finishes better than Green bay this year!
    Can’t wait to have that purple #4 jersey! Go Vikings!

58. Mad Dog says: Jun 16, 2009 12:03 AM

Who throws a better softball. Joe Buck or Larry King? Brett Favre is a class A certified liar but thanks to ESPN, Peter King, and now Joe Buck Favre will never get called on anything. He chocked in the Philly 4th and 26 game, he threw six picks against the Rams in a playoff game, 4 picks against Minnesota in a playoff game, was 1-3 in his last 4 playoff games in Lambeau, with an inexcusable pick in OT against the Giants in the NFC Championship game and his performance in bigtime games was poor overall and yet he gets his ass kissed by the increasing out of touch ESPN and Peter King who prints stories now saying people are dead when they aren’t. Brett Favre is a hypocrite of the highest order and he will never be called on his BS and lies.
    What really is there to like about this guy and outside of a few folks, most of this country just doesn’t have any respect for the guy anymore. I thank God every single day that Ted Thompson and the Packers stood up to this douche bag and didn’t give in an inch. I have the utmost respect in the world for the Packers for showing this idiot the door. I couldnt care less if he plays or where he plays. I am thrilled that this jackass is no longer a part of the Green Bay Packers. It makes the Packers that much more fun to be behind.

59. pakrguru says: Jun 16, 2009 12:08 AM

How comical. Aga….what you should actually see is why Packers fans don’t give a rip about this whole thing…as least the smart ones don’t. Players like Favre take fans accolades…and take heat from the fans of opposing teams…..then prove how egomanical they are by outright stating they want to stab them in the back. The last time I checked, me paying for tickets helps pay NFL players salaries….and Favre is blatantly stating that he doesn’t care.
    Check out the montage ESPN did on Favre and his double takes/flip flops, and you’ll see why most of Packers Nation is saying “good riddance”. I’m retired…I’m not retired….I’m not playing….I’m playing…I’m not playing….I have an itch….I might play…I won’t play…I want to play for Green Bay…..I want to play for Minnesota….I’ll play for anyone….I love the Jets…..I quit the Jets….I’m retired….I’m unretired….I’m thinking about playing….I might play….I haven’t contacted the ViQueens…I’ve contacted the ViQueens…..its gone on…and on…and on.
    Favre wants nothing except to stick it to Ted Thompson….he’s already stated as such. Dumb reason to come back if you ask me. Green Bay told him they needed an answer last spring….he gave them one. They didn’t force him to retire…they forced him to make a decision. Because he made a poor decision….he blames Ted Thompson…not himself. Poor decision….hmmm…as a Packer fan…I’ve seen the man make a few in his career….good ones too. However…lately…its been more about the INT than the TD.
    Good riddance.

60. Vox Veritas says: Jun 16, 2009 12:14 AM

“Vox, are you really taking shots at someone’s grammar in the same post in which you tell the hayseed that something “ain’t” what he says?”
    Yes. And let me guess, you think that using the word “ain’t” is an example of bad grammar. Right? Crack open a dictionary sometime. Don’t be an idiot forever.

61. pakrguru says: Jun 16, 2009 12:19 AM

time to change that misnomer to c.carterwantstobeinthehofbutgamblinganddrugissuesarekeepinghimoutofthehof
    Favre has no one but to blame but himself. Last time I checked…Favre “retired” from the Green Bay Packers. Then he “retired” from the New York Jets. Face it…you’re getting the washed up pissed off revengeful version of Brett Favre that throws INT’s…not the 3 time MVP Super Bowl chamption.
    Besides….who is he going to throw to? T Jax and Sage can hand off to AP…..you still have no one to catch it. That might not matter…since Favre can’t throw it to the guys in the correct color jersey anyway.
    PS…Puuuhhhllleeezzzz say “Percy Harvin” in response to that question. The only good thing about anyone ever named Percy is that dude from The Green Mile….and Favre will fry your season just like Percy did to Eduad Delacroix…..he won’t even wet the sponge.

62. cowboyfan0586 says: Jun 16, 2009 12:19 AM

His intentions aren’t to create controversy…they’re just to skip training camp while everybody wonders if he’s actually gonna make comeback…

63. Larry David says: Jun 16, 2009 12:52 AM

Wow, I like Artie Lange on Stern, but damn was that uncomftorable to watch.

64. johnko says: Jun 16, 2009 1:15 AM

Vox, from merrian-webster….” Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated”

65. IvesRountree says: Jun 16, 2009 1:19 AM

gb151 says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 10:51 pm
    ——————————————
    Florio, give this guy one of your books.

66. cheddar is beddar says: Jun 16, 2009 1:46 AM

i don’t know who waffles more, favre or viqueen fans.
    bob nelson, fitz28, yuleluder, and all you other viking lap dog clowns are hilarious. yeeeaaahhh, can’t wait for my purple #4 jersey!!!!!!! yeeeaaaahhh!
    douchebags
    sure to be no shortage of eggo’s in the twin cities this fall.

67. spanky07 says: Jun 16, 2009 1:57 AM

Favre wasn’t ever as good as advertised. Never. Sure he won some games and Super Bowls but many QB’s have. The MVP thing, like the Pro Bowl, is a popularity contest. Now he’s lost any respect he had in Green Bay. Cause he loves football? No. He loves Brett Favre.

68. footballisking says: Jun 16, 2009 4:16 AM

“I figured it would be a media frenzy if I was there and a media frenzy if I couldn’t play later on. Why not just have one media frenzy? It’s either all or nothing with me”……are you serious that is the logic you are trying to sell…for the second year in a row you are going to show up day one of training camp yet claim you are trying to cut down on distractions and make the transition smooth…..When all he wants is his ego stroked so he can do interviews like this……show up day one of training camp and your body will colapse down the stretch just like last year….he still hasnt learned that you cant “retire” and do nothing all off season then expect to be able to perform for a 16 game regular season

69. John El Wey says: Jun 16, 2009 4:37 AM

70. TommyUrbanskisLegs says: Jun 16, 2009 5:51 AM

Joe Buck and Brett Favre. Is there a more annoying combination? Maybe add Peter King.
    Sweet Jesus, I’m sick of this idiot. Obviously it’s not your fault for reporting it, but I hope the next big story you break is Favre getting popped for steroids.

71. mrmagoo says: Jun 16, 2009 6:44 AM

Artie douched it up last night. Maybe he could have worked in a Ba-Ba-Booey for the loser trifecta. He’ll go on the radio this morning and get patted on the head while Howard goes on about how he invented talk radio…. hoo hoo hoo.
    At work we refer to Joe Buck as Troy Aikman’s grundle gnome but what the hell was he thinking booking that guy?

72. BK5931 says: Jun 16, 2009 7:24 AM

So I notice that the “Lord Favre” stuff seems to be dwindling from your posts Florio? Any particular reason is it just because you are excited that Favre is going to play for your Vikings?

73. scott_n1 says: Jun 16, 2009 7:39 AM

74. JimmySmith says: Jun 16, 2009 7:56 AM

Favre is redefining the term, “classless” As overrated as he was in his prime, he is a train wreck to watch in his latter years.
    Superbowls winners tend to have the strongest locker rooms, players that ban together in pursuit of a common cause. How that is acheived with the NFL’s biggest ego & a$$hole at QB and the NFL’s dumbest head coach, not to mention their pourous secondary and unproven WR’s, is best left up to the active imagination of the Biqueen fans. A trait they have in spades as evidence by their annual spring declaration that they are going to the Superbowl. A prediction that has been historically wrong for 33 seasons and counting.

75. gr33nb@yf@n says: Jun 16, 2009 8:05 AM

Maybe the Packers should assign #4 Jersey to some rookie punter…

76. sand0789 says: Jun 16, 2009 8:32 AM

Time will heal the pain for Packers fans. He spent 16 years there and was part of Green Bay rising from a large streak of mediocrity to being consistently solid and winning a super bowl. He retired then decided to come back. I guarantee he’d have preferred to play for the returning NFC conference runner ups but Green Bay had already moved on, drafting a couple QB’s and working with Rodgers on a contract.
    So fans of Green Bay get 16 solid years out of a guy and his successor has a solid first season and they are sore about him still wanting to play. They think it is him being a traitor wanting to go to a team that runs the offense he’s always run. That he wants to play on a team where he knows the coach well and the O coordinator is his friend. A team where the fans will be happy to have him.
    This is not life and death. Why are Packers fans so sore about this? Man up. As a Vikings fan I am excited to have him because I do believe he can still play pretty decent. I think if he stays healthy that his upgrade, coupled with the Vikings much softer schedule this year, adds about 2-3 wins to their 10-6 campaign last season if everything else works about as well. They could be very, very good this year.
    The Packers on the other hand…well maybe that is part of the problem. They are returning a weak squad that limped to a 6-10 finish well behind the Vikings without Farve. Maybe it is more the fear of being wrong to let him go prematurely regardless of his flip flop retirement decision. I don’t know. Something tells me if the Vikings were 6-10 and Packers 10-6 last season that we wouldn’t be hearing such sore feelings.
    And no, it is not uncommon for a great veteran QB to finish his career for a different team. Although it is a bit unique perhaps for it to be the Packers 1st or 2nd most hated rival…

77. smokesome says: Jun 16, 2009 8:40 AM

i just LOVE all the vikings fans who has been riding favre’s jock for the last few months. they hated him before and had endless negative things to say about him. but now that he MIGHT play for the vikings, he is their lord, savior and favorite player in the history of the game. they talk about him the same way their governor does. they want to take a stab at packers fans by signing him. “wouldn’t it be great to see their fans’ faces when he runs out of the tunnel in purple?” if that’s their motivation for signing a player, i think that logic truly explains the intelligence level of the vikings organizations, their fans, and why they have never won a single super bowl.

78. RI Batman says: Jun 16, 2009 9:10 AM

Glad I missed the interview. The smarmy Joe Buck interviewing the narcissistic Brett Favre. No thanks.
    Favre is executing his plan to perfection. He “retired” in 2008(complete with phony crocodile tears at press conference). Realized the Packers actually could exist without him as they drafted 2 quarterbacks and handed the keys to Aaron Rodgers. He wanted to waltz back in as the starter again. They said not so fast. He wanted to go directly to Minnesota. They said we won’t trade you there. He got all pissed off and then put his plan in play.
    Force a trade to another team. Plan on playing one year there. Mail it in to get the season over, collect $13 million and get out of dodge. “Retire” again. Now he’s not under Green Bay control. The Jets could care less where he goes at this point after last year’s fiasco. And he now goes to Minnesota to “get back” at the Packers.
    If anyone can’t see that this was the plan last summer, you must not be paying attention. Go away, Brett. Either that or play like you did last year for the Vikes so we can all get plenty of laughs.

79. smokesome says: Jun 16, 2009 9:13 AM

as a packers fan, no problems here. sign with whoever you want to, man. what i will say, vikings fans, is that you wouldn’t be writing love notes to favre during study hall and doodling “sand0789 favre” all over your notebooks if he was going to sign with the bears of lions. he would still be washed up, over the hill, and you would be licking your chops for all the interceptions that he would give your defense this year.

80. rimmerballz says: Jun 16, 2009 9:17 AM

Joe Buck’s show was painful to endure if it wasn’t for Artie. Joe’s plan was to throw up some pictures from 20 years ago and thought someone outside of his mother would find that entertaining? You have Michael Irvin on and don’t even try to banter with him (albiet the one thing he did say was hilarious)? Artie took over the show and was more of a host than Buck was while interacting with the other guests. So if Joe wants to keep the show on the air he will need to get a personality… or bring someone in who has one.

81. zygi milf says: Jun 16, 2009 9:32 AM

cheddar is beddar says:
    June 16th, 2009 at 1:46 am
    i don’t know who waffles more, favre or viqueen fans.
    douchebags
    **************
    Wait a minute – Bob_Nelson is a Packer fan. Please don’t lump him in with us.
    Also – not all Vikings fans want Favre on the team. It is typical of the many bandwagon jumper Viking fans to get excited over a 40 year old, wounded, primadonna who HASN’T EVEN SIGNED A CONTRACT yet.
    If Favre signs with the Vikings – well, there is nothing I can do about it. I don’t want it to happen, but it won’t make me any less of a fan of the team. (Unlike forementioned bandwagon jumpers.)
    Question for Packer fans – will you be angry/betrayed if he signs with the Vikings, or are you nervous that he will be successful?

82. zygi milf says: Jun 16, 2009 9:33 AM

Agamemnon says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 10:04 pm
    ******
    “Just so…..likeable”????
    Sounds like YOU have the mancrush.

83. jimicos says: Jun 16, 2009 9:36 AM

scott_n1 says:
    June 16th, 2009 at 7:39 am
    ————————————-
    Jealous? Aaron Rodgers was twice the QB Favre was last season. Ha. Jealous. I’m glad he’s gone, as most Packer fans are.

84. purpleguy says: Jun 16, 2009 10:18 AM

Geez, Artie Lange was a train wreck.
    As to Favre, it was pretty much old news and consistent with the few words Chilly has said on the deal. What was most entertaining was the ESPN Sportscenter report by Ed Werder who minimized the actual “news” from the interview to report other crap in attempt to cover his ass from his prior inaccurate reports. When will ESPN realize the teams/players/games are the news and not their reporters?

85. cheddar is beddar says: Jun 16, 2009 10:53 AM

John El Wey says:
    June 16th, 2009 at 4:37 am
    “I think it’s sad that so many of you even care. It says more about football fans than anything else. You bash Favre for taking up so much air time or whatever, yet who are the ones that provide it? I challenge you to this PFT. Ask any Niner fan what they think of Joe Montana….or even Jerry Rice. Favre is right, no one will care in 20 years.”
    Montana and Rice didn’t alienate a whole organization and its fans.
    scott_n1 says:
    June 16th, 2009 at 7:39 am
    “I find it hilarious that all of the Packer fans are jealous. I can’t wait to cross the border and wear my purple Favre jersey to Lambeau.”
    who is jealous douchebag? just another lap dog. you and tommyt39 can use those purple jerseys to sipe up after slurping favre’s sacred sauce.

86. Tempus fugit says: Jun 16, 2009 11:25 AM

Scott_n1 writes “I’m glad he’s gone, as most Packer fans are.” Favre had a great run with the Packers and fans should let it go at that.
    Favre is blasted for being bitter about the Packers leadership, how many fans are being bitter right now and saying things that make them look more childish than Favre ever was.
    Hey Vox- see you at the Favre to the Hall of Fame party right?

87. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jun 16, 2009 12:22 PM

fitz28 says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 11:42 pm
    ——————–
    Bwaaaahaaaahhaaaaaa! Please wake me up when one of these clowns comes even close to making the pro bowl or can at least have over a 1000yd season. They are all mediocre overpaid players. Berrian and Shianco were desperate free agent signings that the Vikings were forced to way overpay and make to fill in holes that their front office couldn’t do through the draft.

88. BabyPuncher says: Jun 16, 2009 12:31 PM

It was nice to see florio put this in perspective rather than do what espn did… ESPN”Brett Favre is leading this dance” “Favre in full control” “He’ll play when he wants to”… I watched the show and there is no way he came across as that arrogant. I fully understood his stand on it. But with that said get your rear end up there to MN to be with your new team.

89. BabyPuncher says: Jun 16, 2009 12:34 PM

oops i meant aaron wilson not florio

90. LeRoy36 says: Jun 16, 2009 12:52 PM

I missed the Favre informercial but all I can say is “Thank you Ted Thompson.” This drama queen is now someone else’s problem.

91. Philtration says: Jun 16, 2009 1:43 PM

ron7098 says:
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    NFC Central?
    Hahahaaa…. Yeah I did say that. Old habits die hard but that does not change the fact that you are a worthless puke.
    Go back to the basement and ask mom to make you another toaster strudel.
    Your bean bag chair is getting cold.

92. jrmbadger says: Jun 16, 2009 2:19 PM

Aaron Rodgers now > Brett Favre now — enough said.
    If the Vikings wanna get the Packer sloppy seconds AGAIN (see: Sharper, Darren; Longwell, Ryan) be our guest. While we’re dancing with the prom queen, you’ve got her mother – a washed up, drunk, cigarette smoking has been who’s sagging a bit.

93. fav-rah says: Jun 16, 2009 2:31 PM

you know that favre didn’t want to just go to the vikings to play against the packers. he wanted to go to feed the defensive coaches all the info he had on the packers play-calling, just like he did with matt millen.
    just another way to try to “stick it” to TT for not letting him back in three months after he decided, for the second time, to stay retired, and for moving on after the progress the packers had made under aaron rodgers during the off-season and camp activities, and for not getting randy moss, and for not using first round picks to draft offensive weapons who could help favre but instead getting aaron rodgers/a.j. hawk/justin harrell (o.k. can’t blame favre for TT drafting this slug). instead, TT got gregg jennings and ryan grant for favre. i can only blame TT for not keeping Mike Wahle (when there was money available) or at least getting proven offensive lineman instead of the stiffs he picked up (Klemm and O’Dwyer) because that o-line in ’06 was atrocious, partly due to injuries and partly due to wahle and rivera leaving in free agency.
    favre never took into account that TT had to draft rodgers when he fell to them BECAUSE favre was waffling for the 2-3 years prior to that draft about retirement. if TT didn’t take rodgers, he may have been in the same position that the vikings (and other teams who sign free agent quarterbacks that don’t work out and are too old to build around) were in with their qb situation.
    all of this as a result of favre’s inability to make solid decisions, not only on the field but off it as well, and because he couldn’t rationalize TT’s philosophy for re-building a team that Mike Sherman destroyed with the same ineffective decision-making that favre practiced (and learned from his coach/g.m. from 2000-2005).
    too bad favre and robert ferguson can’t re-connect in minnie. #4 would love that. at least he will have his old golfing buddy, ryan longwell to share a locker room with… oh, wait, will he have his own locker room?

94. 30PTBUCK says: Jun 16, 2009 2:50 PM

Dear Bretteney
    You don’t want to create controversy? Wow does any thing that comes out of your mouth anything not a lie? That’s like saying you are a hunter when you shoot a deer in a fenced in area it’s not hunting all it is is killing. To see what this mighty “hunter” has done go to this website http://www.wildriverswhitetails.com/html/hunts.html
    Nice Bretteney first you probably pay about 6000 dollars for a canned hunt then you dump all over Packer Fans. You are almost disgusting I say almost but you have never killed someone (by the grace of god) while driving drunk )
    Isn’t it convient for you Bretteney that you won’t know if you can play until after Training camp starts could, this have been planned? Nah not by the aw shucks you
    Please after you get creamed this year go away

95. martina says: Jun 16, 2009 6:24 PM

To RI Batman- I was even wondering if Farve had actually planned out this whole thing. Is it possible? I’m talking about everything after G.B. let hin go. Anyway I think G.B. may have done him a favor with the “poison pill”. If Farve would have played the Packers last season besides his arm getting injured I’m afraid his emotions may have gotted the better of him-he may have tried too hard. Now, I believe, he settled down and can focus on the prize-Super Bowl-! (Also he will not have to carry this team on his shoulders). Go Farve! Go Vikings!

96. FlorioBorio says: Jun 16, 2009 7:46 PM

I have no dog in this hunt, but I would LOVE to see Favre have a better season next year than Tom Brady. That would silence the haters. Just as long as the Steelers still win the Super Bowl though.

97. juancorsair says: Jun 16, 2009 9:05 PM

===========================================
    I am a Packer fan through and through and can see this coming as clear as day. There is solid reasons why TT didn’t want to see Favre sign with Minny last season. With Favre running the Queens’ offense I fear the they will have a legit shot at the Lombardi (providing Peterson stays healthy all season). Hell, the only thing they lack is a decent QB to run the offense (which makes me wonder why they didn’t make a power play for Cutler or Quinn – either of whom would make this team a contender for years to come).
    The fact that Favre generates this much controversy by wanting to come back and play is testament to his abilities. If he sucked as bad as most of the posters here claim he does, nobody would care he was coming out of retirement again. If he has even half of what he showed in his final season in GB, the Queens will be vastly improved overnight simply by signing him.

98. jimicos says: Jun 18, 2009 5:52 PM

FlorioBorio says:
    June 16th, 2009 at 7:46 pm
    ————————————–
    I’m absolutely OK with that. Assuming, of course Brady has a terrible, horrible, crappy-ass year.
    Anyway, I’m pretty sure Favre would need a receiver before he can really do anything in Minnie.

99. ViKing says: Jun 19, 2009 10:31 AM

It must really suck to be a Cheese wad who spits all over the place. You clowns should all go and wipe your doubled chins.

100. blue_coast says: Jul 1, 2009 10:59 AM

Hey Brett, there’s the sunset, get on your John Deere and ride towards it with whatever dignity you still possess.

101. hrmlss says: Jul 11, 2009 10:37 AM

“Not to create controversy.” Right.
    Now another thought crosses my mind about him, if he truly is a calculating narcissist, is he going to the Vikes because he wants Marshall’s all-time consecutive starts streak, and wants to do it as a Vike to make it more of a story for his ESPN enablers.