Millen Addresses His "Bad Guy" Status In Detroit

We hope that Matt Millen keeps his latest job with NFL Network long enough to eventually work a game at Ford Field in Detroit.
Because it could get very interesting.
Millen, arguably the worst G.M. in NFL history, presided over seven of the darkest years that any pro franchise ever had to endure.  Though his front-office career was euthanized early in the 2008 season, the team that Matt built became the first-ever 0-16 franchise that pro football has seen.
With the same thick skin, hard head, and blind spots that characterized his stubborn refusal to realize that he was unfit to run an NFL team (the job is harder when you never actually move from Pennsylvania to Michigan), Millen sums up his time in Motown by explaining, essentially, that every story needs a villain, and that he fit the bill in Detroit.
“There’s nothing I can do about [Detroit],” Millen told Don Banks of SI.com.  “All I can do is from here on out.  I understand.  In Detroit, they need a bad guy.  I was a bad guy.  I was to blame for the fall of the auto industry and the housing market.  Somehow, I had something to do with [Detroit mayor] Kwame Kilpatrick [resigning], although I’m not sure what.  But that’s what happens when you lose in this game.  You give everyone a cheap and easy story to jump on.”
But Millen didn’t simply lose.  He lost like no one else ever has lost.  And when it became clear that owner William Clay Ford Sr. wouldn’t fire him, Millen still stayed.  And then Millen accepted a ridiculously lucrative extension to the ridiculously lucrative contract he received in 2001.
And he defended it at one point by saying that, if the Lions fire him, he won’t accept a severance.  And then when the Lions fired him and stopped paying him, he made a claim with the league office in an effort to get the bulk of the money he did nothing to earn.
Then, as he was trying to get more money from the Lions that he doesn’t deserve, he waltzed right back into his broadcasting career, with multiple suitors inexplicably lining up for his services.  Along the way, he reportedly reneged on a handshake deal with NBC to take a better job with ESPN.  Then, after he signed a contract committing himself exclusively to ESPN, he finagled a side job at NFL Network.
So maybe he’s viewed as a “bad guy” in Detroit because (drum roll), he IS one.
Hopefully, folks other than those in Detroit will at some point begin to figure that out.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Millen Addresses His "Bad Guy" Status In Detroit”
  1. Buttered Izel Jenkins says: Jun 18, 2009 11:11 AM

“In Detroit, they need a bad guy. I was a bad guy. I was to blame for the fall of the auto industry and the housing market. Somehow, I had something to do with [Detroit mayor] Kwame Kilpatrick [resigning], although I’m not sure what.”
    Flip to 1:32 for the correct response.

2. simple_simon1 says: Jun 18, 2009 11:14 AM

To Matt Millen:
    Please don’t try to play the victim role in your abrupt and earned departure from the Lions. I’ve been, unfortunately, watching and cheering for the Lions for over 20 years now.
    No team in any sport I’ve ever watched has gone downhill quicker than the Lions did. It started at the top and went right on down to the playing field and the coaches.
    It says a lot when you can actually get, in my opinion, the greatest running back in NFL history to retire early, before breaking the record and setting a stage that nobody would ever reach. I guarantee if Millen and his pathetic running of the organization hadn’t been there, nobody would be celebrating Emmitt Smith having that record today.

3. Chris from MD says: Jun 18, 2009 11:14 AM

Weren’t you defending this guy a couple of months ago? Before you got hooked up with NBC?

4. Mattchew182 says: Jun 18, 2009 11:16 AM

As a longtime Bears fan I don’t think he is such a bad guy. All his blunders kept us and others a top the division. We only had two teams in the division to worry about. Its amazing that they would hire Lewand who came from the same regime. Lewand was there for the 0-16 season so why does he still have a job. What kind of credibility does Millen have to be a broadcaster. He couldn’t even run a fantasy football team. I like Schwartz but they still have a long way to go.

5. TheDPR says: Jun 18, 2009 11:17 AM

His picture is beside the definition of “loser” in the dictionary.

6. Eaglescout says: Jun 18, 2009 11:17 AM

You used to have to win in America to be successful. What’s happened? This is the same premise as the CEO’s who ruined some of the greatest companies in the world then walked away with billions in their pockets. We live in an era where losers are winners.

7. hayward giablommi says: Jun 18, 2009 11:20 AM

I liked him as a player, and he was a good announcer. He obviously was a complete and utter disgrace in Detroit, and the more he keeps giving the finger to the fans of Detroit and making a fool out of himself, the harder it will be to have any respect for him as an announcer going forward.
    I know he’s a football guy, but he really should have taken a year to stay off the football radar screen, let the stench of his mind boggling failure waft away a bit, and then get back into football in some capacity. Big mistake by jumping back in so soon, in my opinion.

8. The Dox says: Jun 18, 2009 11:21 AM

Damn Florio I (almost) always love it when you bust chops, but crap, man.
    Millen just got FACED. I kind of feel bad for the guy after reading a bullet list of how much he sucks.
    My condolences, Lions fans.
    And I really don’t want to hear this guy now (as if I did before). Curse you Florio, how long until I get to hear you sniping at everyone under the sun besides Pat White from the booth??

9. TCLARK says: Jun 18, 2009 11:21 AM

He is not “The” Bad Guy. He is just “another” Bad Guy. Detroit (sorry I’m not dumping on you fans.) was a sucky franchise looooong before Millin got there.

10. WhoDeyBuck says: Jun 18, 2009 11:28 AM

“Millen, arguably the worst G.M. in NFL history, ”
    Mike Brown begs to differ. Well, maybe not Mike, but 99% of Bengal fans surely do.

11. Heinekenfun says: Jun 18, 2009 11:31 AM

So if I understand this correctly…, and I believe I do…, what you’re saying is that Matt Millen is actually the greatest GM, in the history of the game, at being lousy. He wasn’t just lousy.., he brought lousy to a whole new level. He reinvented what it means, to be lousy at your job. Matt Millen achieved the greatest success in the recorded history of lousiness.
    So essentially.., he’s #1.

12. raidermot says: Jun 18, 2009 11:32 AM

As a linebacker, he was one of my favorites.

13. CFioren317 says: Jun 18, 2009 11:32 AM

Florio, I like you and would really like to agree with you more often…especially since you are/were an attorney and I actually have respect for the profession since I graduated Law School but went into computer business instead of sitting for the bar exam. However…
    “…And when it became clear that owner William Clay Ford Sr. wouldn’t fire him, Millen still stayed. And then Millen accepted a ridiculously lucrative extension to the ridiculously lucrative contract he received in 2001. ”
    I ask you…who would NOT stay in a ridiculously lucrative position where they will not get fired??? And who would NOT accept a ridiculously lucrative extension to said position??? Come on Florio…you can’t blame Millen for this. This part is 100% absolutely, positively, no-doubt-about-it the fault of William Clay Ford Sr. PERIOD EXCLAMATION POINT

14. I_am_not says: Jun 18, 2009 11:33 AM

15. RestorDaRoar says: Jun 18, 2009 11:41 AM

If/when ESPN/NFLN does a game in Detroit, Millen will be doing the braodcast remotely from Pennsylvania, no way he sets foot back in this city.
    To everyone else outside of Detroit, don’t watch this guy, not ever. He has no cred!

16. tommyjcaps says: Jun 18, 2009 11:44 AM

You are being a bit over the top here Mike…if you honestly believe the GM has that much blame to bare (bear?) in the NFL…then you don’t know as much about pro sports as I always thought you seemed to.
    The way you write about Matt Millen, it appears you have a personal vendetta against him. So he was a bad GM…so what?
    It literally has nothing to do with him being a broadcaster. You seem to think that because someone wasn’t a great GM, then that means they can’t speak about the NFL publicly anymore? That is a joke.
    He was and I assume will be again a great broadcaster. You should actually value his opinions more than a lot of the other folks on TV…as he has lived and breathed being an elite NFL player, an elite broadcaster, as well as an NFL executive…albeit not a great tenor. He was still there…and surely will have some great insight on it.

17. gibsonplyer says: Jun 18, 2009 11:51 AM

To be fair while he was terrible the only reason why he’s ‘the worst GM in league history’ is because he was kept around long enough to get that record. Everyone knew years ago that he should have been fired but the owners kept him around until he lost an entire season. They’re just as much to blame as he is for what happened there last year. If they had fired him and moved on 0-16 might never have happened.

18. descendency says: Jun 18, 2009 11:52 AM

Matt Millen is the worst GM in NFL history and he should just get over it. When you are the Ryan Leaf of GMs, you will be the brunt of all jokes.

19. kinghill says: Jun 18, 2009 11:52 AM

Would someone give Dan Snyder his phone number? Better still, Jerry Jones.

20. biscuiteater says: Jun 18, 2009 11:52 AM

Hey Millen: KISS MY DIMPLED ASS!!!
    Not on this side….
    Not on that side…
    BUT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE!!!!
    Asshole.

21. topcide says: Jun 18, 2009 11:57 AM

I_am_not says:
    June 18th, 2009 at 11:33 am
    I’ve spent 28 years in the detroit area, and this is compltely untrue.
    they have jerseys at target.

22. Sommerfootball says: Jun 18, 2009 11:58 AM

Well done Mike. You summarized Millen’s Detroit gig very well and totally get it.
    And Millen still apparently doesn’t get it.

23. The Dox says: Jun 18, 2009 11:58 AM

“I_am_not says:
    June 18th, 2009 at 11:33 am
    I just spent 3 months in the Detroit area and talked to a lot of folks about Lions football. The consistent thing I gathered was that the Lions are dead in Detroit. You can’t buy Lions gear in department stores because there is just no interest at all. Even outside of Comerica Park which is next to Ford Field, a large Detroit memorabilia outlet virtually had no Lions things available especially with the “new Bubbles” logo. The shop owner told me she has beau coup old stuff in storage and no interest in investing in the new gear. Apparently I was the first to ask this year! ”
    I haven’t been to Detroit in years but my next-door neighbors just moved here from Detroit about 3 months ago. I watched the Stanley Cup and had a few beers with them and started talking football (as I am a football guy), and as soon as I brought up the Lions, both guys said, “I hate the #$%#^&* Lions, Detroit is a hockey town (not verbatim but really close).
    I can’t comment about the general populous but hearing 2 guys that spent 20+ years in Detroit literally saying they HATE the Lions is telling to me. I’ve never hated a hometown team.

24. Ditka89 says: Jun 18, 2009 12:09 PM

simple_simon1,
    Barry retired two years before Millen got there

25. pats suck says: Jun 18, 2009 12:12 PM

Agreed – Millen is a turd.
    But if he is the “Brandon Marshall of FO types, Belicheat is still Pac Man Jones.

26. fidelito says: Jun 18, 2009 12:25 PM

Yeah, the more I hear about Matt Millen’s personal life the more he seems like he’s probably a jerk. I’ve never met someone with what could be called a Nixon fetish who wasn’t a jerk in fact. Of course, being as how I’m a Viking fan Millen handed us a fair amount of wins we wouldn’t have gotten if we were playing a team that had actual pro players on it. Kevin Mchale was fired last night from the Timberwolves, and he’ll be on TV pretty soon as well I’d guess. And the thing is, they’re both great in that sort of role, and I’ve got no real problem with it. They’re both abject failures in one aspect of their lives, but that doesn’t mean they don’t know alot about their respective sports. It just means they suuuuck at making decisions. Like…really suck.

27. coolhand says: Jun 18, 2009 12:29 PM

I’m not a Lions fan and my team isn’t in the NFC North so I think I can be objective on this point……Matt Millen is a massive failure. He took a job he wasn’t qualified for and played a major role in taking a franchise from bad to worse. He lost all credibility as a commentator because everytime he talks, I’m thinking what the hell does this Jackass know? He’s the Mastermind of the worst team of all time. All these people so willing to give him a free pass and pretend the last 7 years doesn’t exist have the mantality of sheep. Millen is a retread, and TV types are lining up for his services. I just don’t get it…..is Matt Millen really the best option out there? My guess is most broadcasting guys think they have the chops to run a franchise (just like Millen did) so they’re not holding it against him despite his massive failure. I’m a football fan so now I have to watch the game with his bile spewing forth between between plays. I can’t wait for the season to start.

28. shanec says: Jun 18, 2009 12:37 PM

As a Redskins fan I am very dissapointed that Millen was fired. Now the Redskins have the most incompetent personnel man in the NFL. Fire Vinnie Cerrato!!!

29. pats haters suck says: Jun 18, 2009 12:41 PM

pats suck says:
    ——-
    Swing and a miss.
    pats suck, you must be really bored after two straight days of no Pats stories. Your above statement has nothing to do with Matt Millen and is absolutely nonsensical.
    Hang in there big guy…Florio will post a Pats story eventually, so don’t pee yourself just yet.

30. simple_simon1 says: Jun 18, 2009 12:51 PM

hey tommyjcaps:
    You said: “Give it a rest…and put some blame on…hmmm…maybe the players…maybe the multiple head coaches during his GM tenure?? ”
    For real? You do understand that he’s the one responsible for all those things you mention, right. He aquired the players and the coaches. He gave no direction when he was needed. He had full control of football operations and made all final decisions. He made one of the greatest all time players at running back retire early because of his crappy management.

31. Cutty says: Jun 18, 2009 12:52 PM

Millen caused the Holocaust

32. JimmySmith says: Jun 18, 2009 12:54 PM

HE should get a job in the Obama administration. Its the other guy’s fault is getting old.
    How about admitting that your performance is among the very worst in all of pro sports and you were in way over your head.

33. empty13 says: Jun 18, 2009 12:56 PM

from north of daytwa…
    there are people out around metro detroit in lions jerseys etc. and hell yes you can buy lions clothing and paraphernalia.
    not as many wearers as pro fans in other places but… they are out there.
    and some pistons and tigers.
    but there really are a lot of people out there with red wings clothing and paraphernalia. after all, detroit IS hockeytown.
    ////////////////////
    lets not absolve the old man of blame here. he made some of those high picks hisself. lets not get the idea that just anyone would have done light years better than the 31-84 millen’s lions accomplished, or the 31-97 the millen* lions would accomplish.
    they werent going to approach the 65-63 (YES, winning record) that the lions accomplished in the 8 years pre-millen (82-78 in the 10 years before millen).
    when people talk about the sucky pre-millen lions, maybe they should crack open a book. perhaps they underachieved… hell no they werent great from 91-00, but they did have 6 winning seasons, and they did make the playoffs each of those 6 times, going 1-6, beating only… DALLAS.

34. simple_simon1 says: Jun 18, 2009 1:00 PM

ditka 89:
    You’re right about Barry Sanders retiring 2 years before Millen…. My mistake…. I was looking at clips I have of him trying to get Barry back and got confused…. I guess I can’t blame him for everything….LOL
    And one more thing to anyone saying that it’s the players fault, not the coaches or GM. Well, like I said before the GM makes all the decisions first. And then, if you don’t have good coaching, you don’t have a chance no matter who your players are.
    A good coach can make average talent play way above talent. Just ask the New England Patriots who every year manage to make probowlers and a Superbowl calibre team out of with people who got let go by others.

35. zygi milf says: Jun 18, 2009 1:01 PM

RestorDaRoar says:
    June 18th, 2009 at 11:41 am
    ***********
    By the time the Lions are good enough to have a home game televised on NFL Network on Thursday Night, Matt Millen will have been dead of old age.

36. tiseth says: Jun 18, 2009 1:02 PM

How could Millen be any worse on the air then the great Tony Kornheiser ESPN dumped on us for three years?

37. SUPERBENGALFAN says: Jun 18, 2009 1:05 PM

Executives in media companies that want to hire Matt Millen as a broadcaster should lose their jobs. It is an insult to football fans to have him on the TV screen talking to them. He should be like a guy who has a contagious fatal disease that no one wants to deal with. I’m a Bengals fan and even I can’t imagine the sheer HELL that man put the city of Detroit with his incompetence……..

38. tommyjcaps says: Jun 18, 2009 1:05 PM

hey simple_simon1…
    are you really that ignorant of the detroit lions? if you are going to say something…at least double check your sh!tty logic.
    According to your LAME argument…all fault always rests with the GM…that is a joke…so maybe he didn’t acquire the best players…or the best coaches (mooch would beg to differ)…either way…they still play a part…a large part…to act like it is a ll Millen’s fault is completely and utterly ridiculous…
    I assume you are talking about Barry Sanders…wow…why don’t you use the internet to help you remember that there was a two year lapse in the timing of those two being with the organization
    dolt.

39. Kotite says: Jun 18, 2009 1:20 PM

Dear Matt Millen,
    Here is an overview of the recent drafts you oversaw as an attempt to make the Lions a more competitive team. This is why you are, indeed, the bad guy. You held your job for at least three years longer than you should have. You are lucky to have a job at all right now. Have the decency to say, “I may not have been the best GM,” and move on. We don’t need another smarmy pseudo-know-it-all. We already have Chris Collinsworth and Joe Buck. Playing the victim card enforces the notion that you are a dumb twat.
    Sincerely,
    Everyone who hates you

40. EskinSux says: Jun 18, 2009 1:30 PM

Christ…..Whats to debate…….He was the GM of a franchise and he ran it into the ground….”In Detroit they need a bad guy”…..Is this for real? Hell, I’m not a Lions fan, but I think every Lions fan should be given the opportunity to kick his ass….Just for saying that……

41. SpartaChris says: Jun 18, 2009 1:35 PM

I think the Vikings should hire him.

42. Bob_Nelson says: Jun 18, 2009 1:44 PM

Matt Millen was educated in Al Davis’ school of ongoing criminal enterprises and fraud.
    After his Raider days, he talked his way into a broadcasting booth and became successful at it.
    From there he was able to talk his way into a job that required:
    a) recognizing raw talent
    b) determining which potential players could be developed much better players
    c) years of experience of which he had none
    d) time at the office
    Unfortunately his Raider days failed him. The Raiders used acquire every undisciplined wierdo misfit from around the league.
    That was not formula for drafting in Detroit.
    BTW Mr. Florio you forgot to list “throwing coaches under the bus” and blaming them for the failure as one of Matt Millen’s characteristics.
    The most egregious the blame game was the firing of good coach Steve Mariucci.
    Who will soon forget the Millen Man March; security guards chasing down a man at a game who held up a FIRE MILLEN! sign; or or late season signs by concerned Packer fans-KEEP MILLEN!

43. coolhand says: Jun 18, 2009 1:53 PM

How about some links or email addresses we can use to complain to the networks?
    Just the thought of seeing Matt Millens big stupid face on my TV makes me dread that part of the upcoming season. Think about all the crap we football fans have had to endure. Joe Thiesman, Dennis Miller, Tony Siragusa, Tony Kornheiser, and now Matt Millen.
    Sheesh!!! Calgon take me away!!!!

44. TCLARK says: Jun 18, 2009 2:10 PM

This all falls on the Lions in my oppinion. Who thought it would be a good idea to hire a broadcaster to run thier football operations??? He stunk but if you want to get down to it Millen didn’t hire himself. I would not be any good at it either but if they offerd me the job I’d take it in a second.

45. RestorDaRoar says: Jun 18, 2009 2:25 PM

June 18th, 2009 at 1:01 pm
    RestorDaRoar says:
    June 18th, 2009 at 11:41 am
    ***********
    zygi milf says:
    *******************
    RestorDaRoar says:
    Touche’…….. My point is that the guy commuted to and from Detroit during his entire tenure. One of the most time intensive jobs out there with 18 hour days, and the guy never took it seriously. How can the viewer take seriously anything he has to say about football, especially personelle moves. At some point this season, he will make a comment about a personelle move and I will throw my Pat White boblehead through the TV.
    It is like taking financial advice from Bernie Madoff.

46. stonethrower says: Jun 18, 2009 2:39 PM

sometimes it takes bottoming out, before you can truly rebuild.
    But they can get back into the thick of it quickly in the Not-For-Long league.
    The Lions will be a good team once again, maybe not this season but within 2-3 years.

47. db3300 says: Jun 18, 2009 3:12 PM

Ya know, simple simon, I remember when Millen was drafting those 17 WRs in a row and how Lionfan attending the draft was cheering like no one would ever be able to stop them. We all knew he was an idiot but apparently not the fans – at least on draft day. I would have had less respect for Millen if he had turned down the lucrative extension. It shows he wasn’t the biggest idiot in the organization. At least he made all of us realize that any one of us could have done a better job at being an NFL GM. All he really had to do to be better was go down to the local 7/11 and pick up a mass-produced draft guide and mix-and-match with what his team’s needs were. Nope. He got suckered into all of those sexy WRs that were still on the board when their pick came up. It didn’t matter that Mike Williams showed his smarts by overplaying his hand and tied his wagon to Maurice Clarett’s challenge of the age rule. I’m sure they’re somewhere together today working on an even bigger deal that will bring them a big payday.
    stonethrower said: “The Lions will be a good team once again…”
    Are you seriously going back to the 1950s looking for something positive? Periodically backing into a wild card spot does not qualify for the statement “good team once again.” They were lucky to have one good player but good team? Uh-huh. 2-3 years? Live to dream, brother. Live to dream.

48. taxlaw26 says: Jun 18, 2009 3:37 PM

Bravo, Florio!
    I thought you had gone soft on Millen.
    In the football world, the buck stops with the GM. He is the one with the most ability and therefore the most responsibility in affecting the end product on the field. Matt Millen has proven beyond any doubt that he is incompetent at assembling the pieces of a good football team. This being the case, he is in no way qualified to evaluate the performance of others at that very same task.
    It is an outrage that “multiple suitors inexplicably lin(ed) up for his services.” While I am in no way connected to Detroit or the Lions, I am a fan of football. And now I will have to watch football games with an anlayst, who more than anyone else in the history of the industry, has proven that he does not know what he is talking about.
    Thanks, ESPN/NLFN.

49. mofo7 says: Jun 18, 2009 3:53 PM

Keep digging, Matt. Keep digging.
    The more he speaks out as though he wasn’t responsible for anything there, or he wasn’t given a fair shake by Detroit area fans, the greater the chance is that someday there will be people running around his broadcast studio with a sign like this:
    Or, Matt will just continue to laugh at how he’s been able to become fantastically wealthy by blowing hot air out of his mouth.
    What should be evident now is that his football opinions, the so-called source of his brilliant broadcasting ability, when put into practice are worthless. Absolutely worthless. What more proof than 0-16 or going three years without a road win does someone need to show that what this guy thinks about football isn’t reliable. His record speaks for itself.
    Anything this dolt says about football, apply the Costanza principle and believe the opposite.

50. JimmyLions says: Jun 18, 2009 4:08 PM

Millen is like the Republican/Conservative politicians and pundits, who deny responsibility for any of the disasters that happened while they were in power.
    Prior to Millen’s arrival, the Lions did NOT completely suck. He made the Lions into a laughing stock. He made the team so bad that Ford Field actually stopped selling out. Prior to his arrival, the Lions consistently put more fans in the gargantuan Silverdome than Ford Field can hold — even selling out the Silverdome on occasion.
    The Lions played in the NFC Championship game during the Barry Sanders/Wayne Fontes era (in the 90s). When the Dallas Cowboys faced the Lions in the playoffs, Jimmy Johnson announced before the game that the Cowboys would shut down Barry Sanders and the Lions would lose badly. Eric Kramer proceeded to slice and dice the Dallas defense (Herman Moore, Brett Perriman, and Johnny Morten were a great receiving corps). Then Barry broke a big one and the game was over. They beat the Cowboys so badly that Andre Ware was allowed to play QB because the game was so far out of reach.
    Even after Barry retired (because he didn’t want to play for Bobby Ross), the Lions were still a mediocre team. They didn’t completely suck, and they could win an occasional game.
    When Millen took over, the Lions became the Titanic of the NFL. As Captain (GM) of the ship, he looked for new and innovative ways to keep steering it into the rocks. Hiring “defensive genius” Rod Marinelli to be the head coach was probably the worst of his decisions.
    During the Millen/Marinelli era, middle school Pop Warner teams would scrimmage against the Lions and score 35 points. When Mike Martz was offensive coordinator, the Lions would rack up huge scores and every game was a shoot out. Millen wanted none of that, and fired Martz. This ensured the offense was every bit as useless as Marrinelli’s defense.
    Millen consistently blamed the people he hired for the team’s losing ways, and took very little responsibility for his own actions. And now he’s a victim. He’s like Sarah Palin, who has no real credibility, so plays the victim card instead. The difference is that there’s no money to be made by putting a tool like Millen in power, and so there are no choreographed whackjob protests to support Millen — thank goodness.
    Millen is such a lowlife that even knocking up both of Sarah Palin’s daughters wouldn’t impact his public image.

51. Favre2012 says: Jun 18, 2009 4:10 PM

“…he waltzed right back into his broadcasting career, with multiple suitors inexplicably lining up for his services.”
    Your posts about your book even think that your posts not understanding the difference between Millen as a GM and Millen as an analyst are getting old.

52. stonethrower says: Jun 18, 2009 5:21 PM

“Periodically backing into a wild card spot does not qualify for the statement “good team once again.”
    Actually destroying a cowgirls team in the 91 season playoffs, and getting to the conference championship game definitely qualifies as a good team.
    They’ll get there again. With new people at the top and a fresh start, the only place to go is up.
    quick turnarounds are becoming quite common in the NFL. Falcons, Cardinals last season are but 2 examples.

53. JaredAllen69 says: Jun 18, 2009 7:54 PM

Millen not accepting responsibility is just like Barry Obama claiming his reckless spending has nothing to do with our shitty economy. Millen destroyed the Lions almost as bad as Barry and the Dumbasscrats are destroying this country. Just pathetic.
    The funny thing is, Millen is worse as a broadcaster than he was Lions GM. As the Lions GM, he only messed up one team. As a broadcaster, he makes every NFL fan suffer every time he opens his ignorant mouth.

54. mcmon says: Jun 18, 2009 9:32 PM

Bad, yes. The worst ever, no. The worst GM ever in the history of the NFL was an owner, GN, and coach. He led his team to a 0 wins, 44 losses, and 2 ties record. He then became commisioner of the NFL and they have a very prestigious award/trophy with his name on it. He’s Bert Bell.

55. iceberg says: Jun 18, 2009 9:46 PM

My thoughts:
    1) Millen is, and always has been, completely delusional. You have to be to stay at a job in which you are a complete failure for as long as he did. How do you get out of bed in the morning when your team performs as poorly as his did? This guy has been hit in the head too many times.
    2) Millen was never a good broadcaster. He was annoying. Now that his tour of duty as GM has exposed him as being a football imbecile, I don’t see how anyone can listen to him with any credibility.
    In general though, I just don’t understand the criteria for people who get hired as football analysts and commentators. Another example is Tiki Barber. Network people were raving about him being great on t.v. while he was still in the league. Then he gets on t.v. and has no personality and nothing interesting to say (and his dissing of Eli Manning as a leader was not interesting). Again, why is it so hard for t.v. execs to find guys with interesting personalities to put on t.v.
    FYI, I’m betting Jon Gruden is going to be great on television. He means what he says and says what he means and he’s got at least a decent football brain.