Childress Says Favre Is "Pain Free"

The quarterback who has become a major pain in the ass for many a football fan apparently no longer has any pain in his arm.
Vikings coach Brad Childress, speaking with Dan Barreiro of KFAN on Friday (via the Minneapolis Star Tribune), said that quarterback Brett Favre’s right arm has healed after undergoing surgery last month.
My understanding is that he is pain free right now,” Childress said.  “Does he have the endurance and the stamina in that arm yet?  He doesn’t know that yet.  It’s no different than grabbing a golf club for the first time during the year when you rip around 18 holes around and you wake up the next day and your side hurts.  You say, ‘Geez, I haven’t felt that muscle in a while.’  [Editor’s note:  That’s what she said.]  So he’s got to build some endurance in that and see if he thinks he can get it back to where he wants to get it to.”
But with all signs pointing to Favre being a member of the Vikings in 2009, Childress isn’t ready to declare that the future Hall of Famer will be joining the squad.
“There is a little bit of time here,” Childress said.  “It’s not a foregone conculsion that he will be here.”
Though Childress wouldn’t have been foolish not to characterize the situation in that way, the reality is that, with Favre, there’s never a foregone conclusion.  For the past two years, Favre has done the opposite of what most of us thought he would do.
Moving forward, the biggest remaining hurdle isn’t Favre’s arm but his contract.  Surely, agent Bus Cook will want a lot more money than what the Vikings will want to pay.  Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune recently explained that the Vikings want to give Favre an incentive-laden deal.
Whether the two sides can bridge the likely gap between Favre’s opening demand and the team’s first offer remains to be seen.  If they can’t, Favre won’t be a Viking, even if he can throw the ball farther than Uncle Rico.  (The real one, not Vince Young.)

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Injuries, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Childress Says Favre Is "Pain Free"”
  1. Nshima.com says: Jun 19, 2009 5:53 PM

Mike, hope you’lll still be able to call Favre a “pain in the ass” when you’re with NBC, even if the “pain in the ass” refuses to give the network any interviews.

2. dra103168 says: Jun 19, 2009 5:54 PM

Just another case of Chilly being Chilly. If this whole Favre bit falls apart, I guess Brad could always go out and sign another backup QB off of someone’s practice squad and have him compete for the starting job. Either way, the purple are a 9 and 7 team at best.

3. KBall7326 says: Jun 19, 2009 5:55 PM

[Editor’s note: That’s what she said.]
    win.

4. Rossy P says: Jun 19, 2009 5:58 PM

Great maybe they can toss each others salad!

5. chet72 says: Jun 19, 2009 6:04 PM

Could also insert the same Editor’s note after the very next sentence: “So he’s got to build some endurance in that and see if he thinks he can get it back to where he wants to get it to.”

6. HarrisonHits says: Jun 19, 2009 6:09 PM

Doesn’t Childress’ voice sound a bit muffled with his head inserted in Farve’s anus ?

7. Satanic Hell Creature says: Jun 19, 2009 6:12 PM

And in a related story, after speaking with Childress, Brett Favre claims the coach to be totally brain free.

8. december says: Jun 19, 2009 6:13 PM

Whenever it says Favre in the headline, I skip over it.

9. GB3Pack4 says: Jun 19, 2009 6:18 PM

So between yesterday and today, all that pain is, like magic, gone?
    Somebody on KFAN this morning either suggested he might be milking the pain, or mentioned that some authority thought that might be the case – and I thought, duuhh! Of course he is! It’s all just to get him past the need to show up at the MandaMini. That works, I guess. Now all he’ll need is the private dressing room, velvet curtains, aroma therapy and palm fronds.
    (Can’t wait for the first story to appear in the StarTrib recounting his first mano-a-mano with Jared Allen.)

10. Creeper says: Jun 19, 2009 6:24 PM

Chilly has already painted himself into a corner by running his mouth about this incessantly. Now it’s a catch-22. If they sign Brent, they get all the baggage and declining play that comes with him, not to mention the me-me-me crap. If they don’t, he looks like an even bigger idiot than usual and the scraps remaining at QB have almost no chance to succeed. Nice management there. No, this can’t possibly fail.

11. Bob_Sacamano says: Jun 19, 2009 6:26 PM

As if the Seinfeld quotes weren’t good enough, now we get a “That’s what she said” quote. This site gets better and better.

12. cheddar is beddar says: Jun 19, 2009 6:40 PM

Is this after he pulled out, or after he chilly wacked favre in the face?

13. muffedpunts says: Jun 19, 2009 6:43 PM

“Whether the two sides can bridge the likely gap between Favre’s opening demand and the team’s first offer remains to be seen. If they can’t, Favre won’t be a Viking…”
    not so fast…(unless you wrote that only to work in an uncle rico reference). both parties have alot more than money on the line now.
    if favre claims he’s healthy, and the vikings fail to sign him over a money squabble, their fan base will revolt, and life will be miserable for chilly and [either t-jack or s-rose] after every incompletion. removing the black PR cloud will be worth several million to the vikings.
    meanwhile, favre has a stronger motivator than money: his legacy. it’s the perfect rationalization for taking short money, and/or an incentive deal. he’s doing it for the love of the game, he has confidence in his skills and familiarity with the offense, and he wants to wash the nasty taste out of his mouth from his dreadful departure from hempstead. all of which will be spinning the real truth that FAVRE WOULD PAY ZIGGY for the chance to stick it to the front office in green bay.
    this is now a runaway freight train from kiln to eden prarie, and no force of nature can stop it.

14. 2nd_stringer says: Jun 19, 2009 6:57 PM

Much like Uncle Rico, Favre refuses to let go.
    He just needs the mustache.

15. Qoojo says: Jun 19, 2009 7:03 PM

Now all they have to do is to clear the fecal matter out between his ears.

16. VonClausewitz says: Jun 19, 2009 7:09 PM

That’s snapping sound you hear are the sphincters of the coaches and players in the NFC North. Favre 09. Book em Dano

17. empty13 says: Jun 19, 2009 7:13 PM

a. he isnt doing iot for the love of anything but $… that and the chance to try and get t2 fired.
    b. pain… he isnt in pain. but he is a carrier.

18. jrmbadger says: Jun 19, 2009 7:16 PM

“GB3Pack4 says:
    June 19th, 2009 at 6:18 pm
    I’m confused – and that NEVER happens! Wasn’t it just YESTERDAY that the little piece came out (with him being interviewed in a red billed hat) about his practicing with more high school kids and stating he still had pain in several places, and that he wasn’t sure whether or not he would play (because of the pain)? ”
    GB – here is the article right here: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/48296817.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl
    That was dated Wed. So between Wed and Friday he’s suddenly pain free… Favre said “I threw a couple of balls today where I really felt it … different places in my shoulder where it’s sore. I threw the ball OK, but OK isn’t good enough in the National Football League. At least not for me, so it’s got to get better.”

19. gb151 says: Jun 19, 2009 7:23 PM

“Whenever it says Favre in the headline, I skip over it. ” …and then login and comment on how I’m not interested.

20. Girthy One says: Jun 19, 2009 7:58 PM

Way too much Favre hating going on. Florio, why do you have more dislike for Favre than guys who are real jerks and have broken the law.
    For the rest of you, perhaps you should crawl back under your slimy rocks. Mean people stink.
    Did I mention lately they should fire Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy? No, well they should. Thompson far worse than McCarthy. They have one of the top 10 (maybe better) QBs and they have failed to bring in other talent. Now they take their second best player, Kampman, and move him to LB. Hey, why don’t they take their third best player, Woodson, and move him to safety? What, they did that too? No wonder they went 6-10.
    Ron Wolfe and Mike Holmgren, we miss you both!!!!!!!!!!

21. CanadianVikingFan says: Jun 19, 2009 8:19 PM

Is Florio going to lose his job once there are no more Favre stories to report on?

22. Bob_Nelson says: Jun 19, 2009 8:35 PM

With so much false crap written about Brett Favre this offseason It would be wise to believe the words of Brett Favre and not some unnamed “source’ claiming to be close to the situation.
    Brett said Tuesday that he had pain on certain throws. I will believe him because Childress doesn’t know if Brett had pain or not.
    Given the history of failure and disappointment that is the vikings, you can feel fairly confident they will screw up the negotiations with Brett Favre.

23. dcowboy7 says: Jun 19, 2009 9:05 PM

SB XLIV:
    VIKES 30
    PATS 27

24. Fan_of_Football says: Jun 19, 2009 9:46 PM

GB3Pack4 and jrmbadger,
    If you guys can take the tinfoil hats off your head for a sec, I will clear something up for you. BOTH statements came AFTER OTAs were over. So your theory that he said he was in pain just to get out of OTAs doesn’t hold, since he said he was in pain 5 days after OTAs were over.
    Okay, you can put the tinfoil hats back on, they’re watching you.

25. CaptainFantastik says: Jun 19, 2009 10:39 PM

Of course Favre is conveniently pain free now that OTA’s are over. Of course he needed to play it off for a few days for his Joe Buck interview. I can’t wait to see him humiliated by Aaron Rodgers……who will outperform Favre for a second consecutive year.

26. jrmbadger says: Jun 19, 2009 10:51 PM

“Fan_of_Football says:
    June 19th, 2009 at 9:46 pm
    GB3Pack4 and jrmbadger,
    Okay, you can put the tinfoil hats back on, they’re watching you.

I never said it was to bypass OTA’s – I merely quoted a relevant question from GB3PACK4’s about a report he reportedly heard and I replied with the article from Wed that he was in pain to clarify his point (the portion I quoted).
    My point is that either someone is in the dark or lying about this, which is clear. Just because I quote a portion of another post and reply with more information does not mean I’m endorsing the whole post I quoted.
    But thanks for your advice about the tin foil hat. Now that we are sharing advice, I’ll give you a piece of advice now – if you’re going to rip on someone for a post, read their post more carefully.
    But if you want my opinion on why this is I think there are three possible reasons:
    1.) he’s milking this for more money
    2.) he’s providing a ready made excuse for why he cannot play
    3.) he’s actually hurt and if that is the case, I’d be more skeptical that he indeed is going to come back.

27. SweeptheLeg says: Jun 20, 2009 2:33 AM

Oh wow, Farve won’t be with the Vikings until training camp and the only sticking point will be the contract?
    I wouldn’t have known this if you hadn’t have wrote it Florio or I predicted it months ago. I can find links on this site and other place where I state that yeah, “If Favre comes back it won’t be until training camp, and if he comes back the sticking point will be the contract the rest doesn’t matter”. You look like a tool to anyone who isn’t an idiot.

28. cheddar is beddar says: Jun 20, 2009 2:58 AM

Girthy One says:
    June 19th, 2009 at 7:58 pm
    hey rag, why should they fire TT and MM? your profound insight would absolutely enlighten me. tool
    dcowboy7 says:
    June 19th, 2009 at 9:05 pm
    SB XLIV:
    VIKES 30
    PATS 27
    sure, we all can dream, right?

29. JimmySmith says: Jun 20, 2009 8:11 AM

Favre maybe pain free but the pain is just beginning for the Biqueens.
    How can anyone ignore the past 7 years?, if there are predictive, Col Klink can expect 25-30 INT’s this year, a player that doesn’t perform well in the 2nd half of the season, and can be counted on to choke in the playoffs (on that attribute, the Vikings don’t need any more help) . Granted, Favre might be better than the 2 other QB’s they have on their roster but that will be the epitaph on Mr. Noodle’s coaching stint, “for want of a QB’
    We will be truly sorry to see Chilly go, a combination of abundant arrogance and ignorance makes for good newspaper copy, doesn’t work well for a NFL coach, but at least he’s not scalping his Superbowl tickets.

30. pakrguru says: Jun 20, 2009 9:06 AM

Hilarious there Bob Nelson…..”It would be wise to believe the words of Brett Favre and not some unnamed “source’ claiming to be close to the situation. ”
    So…we should believe a guy who has, in the last 18 months:
    A) retired
    B) thought about unretiring
    C) Re-retired
    D) Gotten an itch
    E) Not flirted with the ViQueens about coming back (editors note…still think there was no tampering going on last year?)
    F) Told the Packers he was coming to camp, but wasn’t un-retired
    G) Unretired, and demanded to be released
    H) Went to the Jets, and was happy
    I) Left the Jets high and dry, because he was unhappy, and retired (again)
    J) Said he was “done”….not going to work out, not going to pick up a football
    K) Said he wanted to “stick it to Ted Thompson”
    L) Said he never said he wanted to “stick it to Ted Thompson”
    M) Said he had no interest in playing again
    N) Sent his X-rays to ViQueens doctors the next day
    Anyone who believes one word other than maybe the words “I farted” out of this jackholes mouth is an idiot, or a ViQueens fan. Oh wait…that’s the same thing.

31. fav-rah says: Jun 20, 2009 3:04 PM

Too bad Chris Hovan doesn’t play for the Vikings anymore. Would love to hear his take on the Favre saga. Of course, Favre’s other potential trade suitor last year, other than the Jets, was the Bucs.
    Also too bad the Vikings can’t just move down to Hattiesburg and play their season at Southern Miss’s stadium (or at the Oak Grove High School stadium). Who needs L.A. when you have Mississippi.
    Gotta figure the Vikings players will be somewhat angered the Favre is milking this a bit and delaying being part of the team while he waits to see if he can throw the ball better than “OK”. There’s going to be some animosity; the guys are working their tails off and Favre is living the life on his tractor and throwing the pigskin around to some 16-17 year old kids. If it’s inevitable, then get the contract done while he’s rehabbing and get this over with already. Can’t believe the Vikings are falling for this after watching G.B. get held hostage for the last 4-5 years.

32. Johnny2k says: Jun 20, 2009 4:59 PM

Chilly and Brett should get along well; both of them like to ask and answer their own questions. So if Col. Klink will just agree to coach only 52 of the guys on the roster, I think it’s a done deal. If not, I’m sure they are confident about going into battle with Sagejack or whatever.

33. steve2e says: Jun 21, 2009 8:31 AM

So I just got done reading the best and worst off season moves. I took the link and read them all very solid reasons for position placement. Vikes are listed 9th worst move for ‘entertaining’ Farve. ‘Footsie’ was the term.
    Childress – my brother! Not a pass thrown yet and you got us in a top ten position. That’s coaching, the whole 24/7 mental chess match. Keeping an edge on that razor sharp wit of yours?
    I’m laughing so hard right now, I gotta try not to wake up the rest of the family.
    Last year really got to me. I try to take it light now. After the 1998 season, I realized I was too emotionally invested. We went 15-1 and waxed everyone in the playoffs until the Falcons. I was crushed. I had about 8 friends at the house for that game. I could swear I heard crying. It was like someone died in the room. Years go by, a long playoff drought and then the team starts looking good again. It’s in spurts. but it’s there. Last year they blew it and still backed into Division Champs.
    The Lions game in Minneapolis was the worst Vikings game I have ever seen. That includes the Giants destroying them in the 2000 playoff season. 41-0, there was an effort. Still, year’s Lions’ game at the Dome was it!
    The Lions’ QB Dan Orlvosky, unintentionally runs out of his own end zone for 2 decisively scored Vikings points in the first quarter. In the second quarter the Lions come roaring back with 3 points. By the end of the first half the Vikes needed help to get 2 points against the Lions’ D. The Vikings have the best running back in the NFL. That game was embarrassing. It was so bad that the announcers felt awkard calling the game.
    There is no middleground with getting Farve. It either works like the Cunningham free agency trade of 1997 or it becomes an anchor. This is not like any other position where overall production is measured inspite of the losses. The QB wears every loss.
    It’s possible that Brett Farve could have his ‘Cinderella Man’ season but this really seams more like a desparation move on the Vikes part. Childress is resting his career on this. Childress’ contract allows the Vikes to can him after this season without paying for it. If Childress can go deep into the playoffs he has a shot but it can’t be like last year. Last year most of the wins were a result of the opposition being just as sloppy. They have to look organizationally strong and right now they don’t.
    It’s a leadership issue.