Coles To Media: "You've Got Ocho"

We’re still convinced that the Cincinnati Bengals will be thrilled with receiver Laveranues Coles.
Younger than former No. 2 wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Coles has been a No. 1 receiver for Jets and Redskins teams that lacked a franchise quarterback.
Houshmandzadeh, on the other hand, has benefited from having Carson Palmer throwing passes — and from Chad Ochocinco drawing attention.
So Coles could be even better than Houshmandzadeh ever was.
For the media, however, it’ll be an adjustment.  Houshmandzadeh was accessible; Coles is aloof.
Reporters got a taste of it on Friday, according to the Associated Press.  Asked for an interview, Coles looked over his shoulder and said, “I came here to get away from [the media].  You’ve got Ocho.”
And Ocho (as in Cinco) will provide plenty of sound bites, especially if things are going well.  And things likely will go well with Coles as the starter opposite Chad.
“Throughout his seven years here, [Houshmandzadeh] played one specific position,” quarterback Carson Palmer said.  “Laveranues is learning three right now.  So he’s very versatile.  He plays extremely tough.  He loves to block.  He loves to do the little things.  He’s complete.
“I’m trying to think of something he doesn’t do well.  There’s nothing he doesn’t do well.  He’s just an all-around very solid player, and he’s going to be a big surprise for us this year.  I think he’s somebody we’ve been looking for for a while.”
Translation?  Ta-ta, T.J.  Hola, Laveranues.  And while Coles might not have much to say, his actions could speak volumes.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Coles To Media: "You've Got Ocho"”
  1. mforte22 says: Jun 20, 2009 2:12 PM

Bengals fans, enjoy all this attention you are getting right now. Because nobody will care when the football actually starts.

2. Fart Face Killah says: Jun 20, 2009 2:19 PM

Trickbunny….
    Your pathetic attempt at humor is embarassing…..
    Please NEVER post anything “funny” on here again.
    That is all….

3. Amused 2 Death says: Jun 20, 2009 2:23 PM

Hey trickbunny, I think you were a little too generous rating your own post!

4. butchy says: Jun 20, 2009 2:35 PM

you read it jackass..
    if someone comments on a post & discounts the post & claims the post doesn’t exist because of his inability to register the implications of said post, does the secondary, condescending post carry any weight whatsoever??
    jackass.

5. gwinn1952 says: Jun 20, 2009 2:43 PM

Well lets hope he plays better than he did for the jets…..took plays off…..including the last interception Brett threw….which was supposed to be a quick slant and Coles never left the line of scrimmage. Or Maybe he’ll catch a little better. Brett had some of his 22 INT because Coles had the pass go through his hands, off his feet for INT or didn’t complete the route. He is overpaid at the moment until I see him give his all…….never stretches out for the ball which resulted in INT. I wish him well but hope he gives his all for the Bengels and earns his money.

6. footballpro97 says: Jun 20, 2009 2:44 PM

i bet trickbunny doesn’t even live in a city with a football team or he probably is a lions lover

7. trickbunny says: Jun 20, 2009 2:44 PM

Ha ha… a bunch of angry Bunghole fans. Too funny. Looks like my post really struck a nerve. Exactly what I was going for. Mission accomplished. You all made my day. Thanks! :) :) :) :) :)

8. EskinSux says: Jun 20, 2009 2:52 PM

Christ……It’s the Bengals…..For a team that really hasn’t don’t nothing but have an idiot owner, a head coach who thanks the Lord daily he still has a job, a wide receiver who thinks he is better than Jerry Rice, a team with a rap sheet bigger than Manure Bol’s listed height, you have to feel for Carson Palmer……A NFL QB stuck in a time warp of idiotness…….

9. chris s says: Jun 20, 2009 2:59 PM

Fact: Coles has never had more than 7 TDs in a season.

10. ChargersFootball says: Jun 20, 2009 3:01 PM

this bengal saturation is going to make hard knocks fun to watch.

11. justaguyinachair says: Jun 20, 2009 3:15 PM

and with that last post, trickbunny he proves he’s a Steelers fan. Getting back to the point, Cincinnati will be MUCH better than last year if Carson steps up his leadership and puts Andre Smith in line. if he can control smith, the o-line will be more in sync and give Carson time to actually use those weapons on the outside. The running game is still lacking a bit though. Unless Cedric really improves, we’ll be one dimensional again.

12. descendency says: Jun 20, 2009 3:17 PM

Florio hates TJ much? Looks like it.

13. Benny0326 says: Jun 20, 2009 3:21 PM

trickbunny:
    Is your life that pathetic that the highlight of your day is getting some other Footbal fans annoyed!
    Jusging from that, i’d say you’re from Cleveland…

14. trickbunny says: Jun 20, 2009 3:54 PM

Keep ‘em coming, crybabies! Nothing funnier than watching Bunghole fans lose their minds and furiously pound their keyboards in futile attempts at “comebacks”.
    …maybe now’s a good time for me to get into those ridiculous cartoonlike “costumes” the Bungles are forced to wear. They look like uniforms that were designed to appeal to 4 year olds. Those “festive” uniforms are ready for Broadway.
    @Benny0326: In your post, replace the word “Football” with “Bengals” and you will be correct! Oh, except about the Cleveland part.

15. Bubby Brister says: Jun 20, 2009 5:47 PM

Said it before and I’ll say it again — Cinci will be better than both B-more and Cleveland this year.
    They’re the ones we’re gonna need to watch our backs on. Bank on that.
    I’ll actually bookmark this post and we’ll come back to it in December regardless of the outcome. Any doubters are welcome to do the same if they think I’m bluffing.
    – A Steelers Fan

16. Tr3pidation says: Jun 20, 2009 5:52 PM

The only place Johnson gets more attention is the media. TJ Housh got more attention in games, look at the film to see who really was double covered ;)

17. CaptainFantastik says: Jun 20, 2009 6:13 PM

LOL. Brat Favre’s last INT was all Favre. Don’t even try to blame Coles.

18. steelerfan9598 says: Jun 20, 2009 6:21 PM

TJ has been better than Ocho Stinko for about three years now.

19. Fart Face Killah says: Jun 20, 2009 6:35 PM

Trickbunny….
    Actually, I’m not a Bengals Fan, I’m a Dolphins fan, and have no affilliation with the Bengals what-so-ever…I’m just a fan of good comedy. Something that you are terrible at. (good comedy, that is) I was simply trying to help prevent you from looking stupid again. You should NEVER, EVER, tell/type/say/write anything “funny” ever again!
    Now go home!

20. Benny0326 says: Jun 20, 2009 7:08 PM

Wow trickbunny:
    That’s still a pretty pathetic life if your highlight is to annoy Bengals fans on website comment page!

21. Fart Face Killah says: Jun 20, 2009 7:20 PM

Housh is gonna be nothing in Seattle. Thats where good number 2s go to get money and die. It’s a grave yard for WRs.
    Coles is much better than Housh is, but when you say he’s younger than T.J…. Isn’t it only like a year or a few months???

22. WHODEYJAY says: Jun 20, 2009 7:34 PM

trick,
    mission accomplished…you are a douche.
    J

23. trickbunny says: Jun 20, 2009 8:41 PM

Fart Face (appropriate name) says:
    “Trickbunny….
    Sssuuuuuuurrre you’re not a Bengals fan. You always take the time to defend teams you have nothing to do with through multiple responses, don’t you? :)
    “I’m just a fan of good comedy. Something that you are terrible at. (good comedy, that is) I was simply trying to help prevent you from looking stupid again. You should NEVER, EVER, tell/type/say/write anything “funny” ever again!
    Now go home!”
    I am home. And thanks for trying to “help”, but you’re approval on whether something is funny or not isn’t even on my radar. I don’t know your ability to judge “comedy” from a hole in the ground and obviously don’t care. Thanks for playing the ‘Feud.

24. trickbunny says: Jun 20, 2009 8:45 PM

Benny0326 says:
    June 20th, 2009 at 7:08 pm
    “Wow trickbunny:
    And for the record, it’s more a feeling of pity that i have for you than “anger” at your worthless response at the top!”
    Oh awesome. I thought it was anger. I feel better knowing it’s actually pity. Pity away, friend. Let’s see if it affects what I do from here on out. My guess is that it won’t. At all.

25. trickbunny says: Jun 20, 2009 8:55 PM

WHODEYJAY says:
    June 20th, 2009 at 7:34 pm
    “trick,
    mission accomplished…you are a douche.
    J ”
    Hey, thanks J. Back at ya, good buddy. Trust me, My happiness totally depends on whether some anonymous guy on the internet thinks I’m a douche. It matters about as much as… the lint in the dryer screen. Maybe.
    And check it out- we still have the Hello Kitty crowd asking “WHO DEY?”. Let me put you out of the misery of having to walk around asking the same question over and over. The answer to “WHO DEY think they gonna beat ‘dem Bengals?” would be “21 of the 32 teams they’ve faced over the last 2 seasons. That’s who.” So, in other words, pretty much everybody think dey gonna beat ‘dem Bengals.
    Maybe the question should be “WHO WE (to think we gonna beat anybody)?”
    Keep ‘em coming kids. I’ll check back now and then.

26. roughingtheholder says: Jun 20, 2009 10:39 PM

Every player mentioned in this post is more washed up than seaweed

27. jongrella says: Jun 20, 2009 11:36 PM

As a Jets fan, I liked LC for a long time, but it seems like he’s always got a bee in his bonnet. Like an average-looking gal with an outsized attitude.

28. Pantherfan105 says: Jun 21, 2009 2:07 AM

Coles will do a lot better than Housyourmamma if he can get the system down fast enough. Coles is younger like Florio said. Housyourmamma was just an overated posession WR with good hands. Keyshawn Johnson was getting more YPC than this guy. I think Coles gives them some bigger play ability.
    The thing the Benglas should be worried about is if Carson can stay healthy and can Ocho Cinco step up and be a big red zone guy. Dispite Coles stronger YPC than T.J. its obvious that his size isn’t beneficial in the red zone per his TD’s per season. If Chris Henry can stay outa trouble he could also be their top red zone guy

29. Pantherfan105 says: Jun 21, 2009 2:10 AM

Trick, im a panthers fan and I think you’re a ra-tard. Your opinion fails as do you

30. therealdude says: Jun 21, 2009 12:25 PM

trickbunny – make 2 anonymous people online that think you’re a douche.