Snyder Recommended La Canfora For NFLN Gig

In connection with Jason La Canfora’s Tuesday night debut on NFL Network, we remembered something that a source with knowledge of the situation told us a couple of weeks ago.
Redskins owner Daniel Snyder actually recommended La Canfora for the job.
The recommendation came notwithstanding the fact that La Canfora had gotten into a pissing match last year with Snyder’s right-hand man, Vinny Cerrato.
“He is a making a mockery of fact and reality and trying to play people for fools,” La Canfora wrote in an e-mail regarding a dispute with Vinny Cerrato over the question of whether his comments about former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin constituted tampering.
It’s [a] pathetic attempt to slander me,” La Canfora said, “but not surprising in the least given who it is coming from.”
Multiple sources tell us that La Canfora ultimately was required by his former employer, the Washington Post, to submit a written apology to Cerrato.
So why would Snyder recommend La Canfora, who was working the Redskins beat, for a job with another media outlet?
I think I might have just answered my own question.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
12 Responses to “Snyder Recommended La Canfora For NFLN Gig”
  1. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Jun 23, 2009 11:33 PM

Well the obvious answer would be “to get him out of the market”. unfortunately, I think Murphy’s law may not apply here. I think it might just be because Snyder (who I have no love for) doesn’t care about some random guy writing in the newspaper and gave a legitimate recommendation. In this case, don’t be so cynical. Remember: the first rule of being a cynic is that all publicity is good publicity.

2. Darius_Heyward-Bey-Butterfingers says: Jun 23, 2009 11:36 PM

Vinny’s record stands on it’s own. More to work with, less accomplished. He must be pretty convincing to Snyder though. “Hey just wait until next year! We’ll finally put it together! Yeah, that’s the ticket!”

3. DCAdam says: Jun 23, 2009 11:44 PM

Slow news day. Even for offseason NFL standards.

4. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Jun 23, 2009 11:57 PM

Darius_Heyward-Bey-Butterfingers says:
    June 23rd, 2009 at 11:36 pm
    ____________
    I don’t much care for the Redskins (although they are my favorite team in the division), they’ve been relatively successful. Only one team can win the SB each year, and only 12 of the 32 teams can reach the playoffs (that’s less than half by my count – by a relatively large margin). The Redskins certainly aren’t a “Patriots/Colts” year-in-year-out contender, but they’re a solid team.

5. vinny cerrato says: Jun 24, 2009 12:12 AM

JLC was good when he reported the facts and he was decent at getting inside info. what made everybody hate him was that he thought he knew how to run an organization and was extremely critical of Vinny Cerratto when there was nothing to be critical of. JLC would pass or fail each move by the FO,normally fail,before the season was ever played out. It’s fine to have an opinion,but to have an opinion so negatively polarized and be a beat reporter(you’re just headed for trouble). he’d be much better served and liked if he had tapered down a little bit. not asking him to not report the facts,but just leave more facts on the table than his opinion.
    redskins fans are negative enough as is,having a beat reporter with an axe to grind against the FO…LOL

6. LaRonDontLikeUgly says: Jun 24, 2009 2:25 AM

Maybe Snyder didn’t want him to get the job.
    I feel like a recommendation from Dannyboy would be like if Hitler told you I was nice enough to date your daughter.
    I also feel like Florio loves to stir up a ruckus at Extremeskins.com — and that’s why the last two sentences are up there. It’s funny because as a DC sports fan, the only people I know with more “anonymous sources” [that don't pan out] than Florio, is Jason La Canfora.
    So the real question is…. did Snyder recommend you to NBC as well?

7. Swervinmervin says: Jun 24, 2009 8:20 AM

Snyder just wanted him out of DC. The same way he fired Brian Mitchell and Al Koken from his radio station because they were too critical of the team.
    And considering that in a roundabout way the NFL team owners like Snyder partly own the NFL Network – his recommendation actually helped get the job.

8. Mangy66 says: Jun 24, 2009 9:53 AM

vinny cerrato says:
    June 24th, 2009 at 12:12 am
    ———————————-
    This post hit the nail on the head. I was just thinking the same things, then saw this post. JLC was ok…but when he got all insecure about the Skins and their FO (like some Bloggers we know *cough* PFT *cough*), his work went to sh_t.
    I think Florio has a lesson to learn here…if he hasn’t already after being put in his place with that Portis thing. BTW…best moment I’ve witnessed since joining PFT Planet.
    Some writers just need to get over themselves and not get personally negatively involved with a single team (in both of these cases, the Redskins).
    And I guess I should give Florio kudos for actually not putting mentions in this story about Haynesworth, tampering, Landry trade rumors, Portis douchebaggery and any other “””””RUMORS””””” (note the extra quotes) he comes up with about the Redskins when he’s bored.

9. Mangy66 says: Jun 24, 2009 9:56 AM

BTW…anyone who has had the chance to listen to Vinny Cerrato during an interview on another show (not on his own show or during a press conference…but I guess those would pass too), they can’t help but notice how convincing the guy sounds.
    It’s too bad when Marty Schottenheimer fired Vinny, and turned the franchise 180 degrees towards a positive direction, Danny couldn’t take not having a hand in that success…and spoiled it all in less than a year.

10. Barno says: Jun 24, 2009 1:29 PM

I’ve probably been the most notorious critic of Jason La Canfora’s work at the Washington Post. Nothing brought greater joy to me than seeing him leave the Post and the Redskins beat for the NFL Network. I would have written a glowing recommendation myself as well, whatever it took to get him to stop covering the team.
    I’ve been an avid reader of the Post for decades and have never come across a more mean-spirited, agenda-driven, egotistical, and often dishonest reporter than Jason La Canfora.
    It’s really too bad his apology to Vinny Cerrato was not a public apology.

11. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Jun 24, 2009 2:29 PM

“He sounds like he knows EXACTLY what he’s doing. His track record is different, but Snyder believes him.”
    He sounds like he knows exactly what he’s doing…to a fan who has no idea how to run a team. I think you summarized the situation well: he talks a good game so Snyder gets suckered, despite the poor results on the field.

12. happybunny says: Jun 24, 2009 2:35 PM

Obviously so that now LaCanfora (who’s pissing match goes back MUCH farther and nastier than this incident) is technically working for him. I would never have taken the job. He’ll probably get canned within 3 months…