Santonio Sees A Super Bowl Return

nfl_holmes_250.jpgFor a guy who never has generated more than 1,000 receiving yards in a single season, Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes is doing a lot of talking.

Then again, Holmes was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, so maybe he has earned the right to chirp a little.

Most recently, Holmes has declared that the Steelers have a return date with the NFL’s championship game.

“We’re not wondering will we make it back, if we’ll make it back,” Holmes told John Harris of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.  “We look forward
to going back to the Super Bowl
.”

A couple of weeks ago, Holmes told Sporting News that his ultimate career goal is a trip to the Hall of Fame.  Without having to pay the admission fee.

Though such talk will only give the Steelers’ opponents more ammunition in their quest to topple the current kings of the hill, we sort of like Santonio’s swagger — if he can continue to play in 2009 like he did during the 2008 postseason.

For a team without many glaring question marks entering 2009, that might be the biggest one.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Santonio Sees A Super Bowl Return”
  1. DanRooney says: Jul 3, 2009 10:41 AM

Waiting for an original marijuana joke in 3…2…1…

2. T Ross the Boss says: Jul 3, 2009 10:49 AM

I think its cute that when you post a story about a player, you also put up a picture of said player. But, I’m still nervous about the o-line, more than Santonio’s productivity.
    Also, the mobile site is ABSOLUTELY terrible. Please, please, please, make it how it used to be, when I could actually click the rumor mill link.

3. JoeSixPack says: Jul 3, 2009 10:53 AM

Holmes HAS earned the right to chirp a little.
    The thing is, smart players who have earned the right to chirp, still don’t.

4. steeltownpride says: Jul 3, 2009 10:55 AM

Until the champs are out of it , it makes them the favorite . I see no reason why the Steelers cant repeat . We won it all with the hardest schedule . And this year we have one of the easiest schedules .
    It is almost not fair to every team in the league . The o-line will only get better . Adding last years draft class to the mix only helps us . Mendenhall and Sweed should step up and make us better . Adding Wallace to our recieving corp . And get jiggy with Ziggy can get into the D line rotation only makes it even better . I know its scary . Hide the women and children and Bengals cause its not going to be pretty .

5. Giant Midget says: Jul 3, 2009 11:18 AM

Can’t blame him for being confident. O-line still weak, and Harrisons fat payday won’t have him as hungry. But still a very solid team for sure!

6. PatsRPerfection says: Jul 3, 2009 11:29 AM

The biggest problem is that Brady is back and they’ll have to face the Patriots in the playoffs to get back. As we all know Steelers fans included Steelers vs. Patriots in the playoffs has not worked out well for the Steelers.
    Everyone knows the Patriots OWN Heinz Field. The Patriots have won more AFC titles on Heinz field than the Steelers have.

7. C.Bass says: Jul 3, 2009 11:29 AM

This is really a non-story and it’s not “bulletin-board material”. I wouldn’t want him on my team if he thought otherwise.

8. C.Bass says: Jul 3, 2009 11:32 AM

DanRooney:
    It’s too early for the pot jokes and “clever” name changes. Their mommies haven’t woken them up yet.

9. Ammo says: Jul 3, 2009 11:41 AM

The AFC North is going to be tougher this year (Ravens with Flacco in his 2nd year, healthy Carson Palmer and improved Browns team).

10. southernboi727 says: Jul 3, 2009 11:42 AM

steelers ain’t gonna repeat. It just ain’t gonna happen.

11. JimmySmithisagoddamntool says: Jul 3, 2009 11:46 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a damn good chance of repeating. They are a great team with great ownership and coaching.
    Their fan base is repulsive, however. It mostly consists your average wife beating, beer chugging inbreed who inhabits Small Craphole, PA (that is just about every town north, south, or west of Philadelphia).
    Cleveland might rock, I don’t know. But Pittsburgh, Mechanicsburg, Harrisburg, and every other one of those decaying landfills you losers call home SUCKS.

12. JSpicoli says: Jul 3, 2009 11:47 AM

Santonio needs to shut up. I am already sick of hearing from this guy

13. C.Bass says: Jul 3, 2009 11:52 AM

PatsRPerfection:
    Yes, in the past the Pats have done very well. However, Brady is coming off a very serious knee injury and many core players from those SB teams are gone or getting old. I’m not saying that the Steelers will beat NE, but it’s not the same teams anymore.
    Further, those were all against Cowher teams. Cassel threw for over 400 years 3 straight games until he met the Steeler D. And NE lost 33-10 at home.

14. C.Bass says: Jul 3, 2009 11:53 AM

JSpicoli:
    Then don’t click on the article, fool.

15. JohnComp12 says: Jul 3, 2009 11:54 AM

So is Dexter Jackson allowed to chirp as well?

16. C.Bass says: Jul 3, 2009 11:55 AM

JimmySmithisagoddamntool
    Feel better now? Your wife must be proud of you (if you have one).

17. Alabama leprechaun says: Jul 3, 2009 12:07 PM

My favorite player on my favorite team…tell ‘em Santonio!

18. Ravenmaniac says: Jul 3, 2009 12:27 PM

C’mon Danrooney…if it was a story about Ray Lewis you couldnt type “murderer” fast enough….
    I am thinking it will be the Ravens and Steelers again in the AFC Championship!
    Where in the hell is MaGoo?

19. returner8685 says: Jul 3, 2009 12:33 PM

PatsRPerfection (Until it Matters Most)
    Patriots are good blah blah blah
    You’re pretty bold in predicting a team that didn’t make the playoffs last year will knock off the defending champs…
    The Patriots might win AFC title games at Heinz, but the Steelers have won 2 Super Bowls since the Patriots have won anything worth mentioning here…
    and Jimmy Smith… just wow. You shooting off your mouth like that makes you no better than those beer chugging wife beaters you call Pittsburghers. You’re a class act my friend. You’re mother must be proud.

20. mrmagoo says: Jul 3, 2009 12:42 PM

Ravenmaniac says:
    July 3, 2009 12:27 PM
    I am thinking it will be the Ravens and Steelers again in the AFC Championship!
    Where in the hell is MaGoo?
    ________________
    I’m here. If Santonio wants to talk, he doesn’t need my help :)

21. hayward giablommi says: Jul 3, 2009 12:44 PM

Super Bowl return?
    Try making the playoffs first
    Talk on the field.

22. steeltownpride says: Jul 3, 2009 12:59 PM

hey PatsRPerfection .,. You are right . But you cheated to win those afc title games .
    And you brag about cheating lol which makes it pretty pathetic if you ask me . Is that how they do it in NE ? Cheat and brag lol . And before you said it wasnt cheating stop . You lost a first round pick and was fined for it . Innocent teams dont get that treatment ok .
    In the 05 season you couldnt beat Denver to play us . And what about your perfect season what does that get you ?Face it your window has closed and your just an after thought now . Brady will take another season before he gets back to where he was . Ask Carson Palmer about that.
    Last time i checked we are 6 times champs and you are 3 times champs . Do the math ok ? lol And we are 6-1 in the big game and you are 3-3 in the big game . And 2 of those 3 wins shouldnt be celebrated since you cheated to get there .

23. mborz says: Jul 3, 2009 1:04 PM

@PatsRPerfection: The last time the Patriots faced the Steelers in the playoffs was 2004, Ben’s rookie year. It’s now 2009.
    Should I drag out some of my own antiquated stats from how the Steelers of the 70s did against the Patriots and play the same game you’re playing? I might as well, they would be equally irrelevant.
    Do you remember how badly James Harrison beat Matt Light during their meeting last year? Do you think Brady is going to be able to miraculously fix or overcome that? If you do, you might want to watch Super Bowl XLII again and see how he reacted to the pressure the Giants put on him that day. That Super Bowl showed how important the offensive line had been to the Patriot’s great season. When they were outstanding, the offense was outstanding. And when they were less than outstanding, so was the offense.
    The good news is that even though some Patriots fans don’t understand this and just keep reciting like a zombie “Brady will be back, everything will miraculously go back to the way it was in 2007 (Super Bowl excluded)”, one person who does understand it is Bellichick and he’ll do his best to address it.
    In the meantime, I look forward to seeing the Brady-induced zombie chants posted here the rest of the summer.

24. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Jul 3, 2009 1:15 PM

C.Bass says: July 3, 2009 11:29 AM
    ======================================
    Douche bags stick together, just like you and Santurdio, C.Bass
    It’s getting harder and harder for Steeler fan to defend this jackass.

25. brian_21 says: Jul 3, 2009 1:33 PM

That’s a more accurate introduction for Santonio … that he has never had more than 1,000 receiving yards in a season.
    Better than implying that he will be a Hall of Fame receiver.

26. NinerNation says: Jul 3, 2009 1:34 PM

I would like to apologize to all Patriot fans…I made a mistake when I said that all of you were the most annoying football fans. I’ve come to learn that Steeler fans are by far and away the worst thing to happen to sports.
    Honestly, even when the Niners were one of the most dominant teams in the NFL, I never acted in such a pathetic manner. If you have football knowledge, show it, don’t spout worthless crap that any common fan can see through.
    Also, lets please keep in mind that the Steelers were a hair away from losing to the Cardinals. There were many questionable calls, and yes, you can scream at me all you want, but that is a fact.
    One last thing, someone said the Steelers will have one of the hardest schedules this year. Umm…I find that laughable. The Steelers will once again have one of the easiest schedules in the league, please don’t try to distort the facts to puff yourselves up.

27. DanRooney says: Jul 3, 2009 1:45 PM

So you’re saying the Steelers won the SB because Tom Brady was injured? Last time I remember him playing, he got humiliated by the Giants. Most embarrassing game I’ve ever seen.
    “17 points? haha.”

28. Bubby Brister says: Jul 3, 2009 1:47 PM

Tweedledee – 3 wins in 10 years constitutes as owning these days?
    Tweedledum – Did you really just compare the 3 time champion Pats to the 6 time champion Bulls?
    They’re up one freaking ring on the Steelers since 2001. I’d tell you to get a grip but reality’s gonna come crashing down in January.
    And for what it’s worth, Spygate is meaningless to me.

29. mrmagoo says: Jul 3, 2009 2:00 PM

NinerNation says:
    July 3, 2009 1:34 PM
    _____________
    Your team plays in a conference that someone has to win, though it appears no one wants to. I’d ease up on the strength of schedule comments.
    Admittedly, the Steelers play both Cleveland and Cincy twice a year. I guess you also have to include Baltimore in the off year.
    I don’t know what you’re questioning as far as calls- I’m still questioning that mystery ‘holding’ safety near the end of the game.
    I appreciate that you’re not a Steeler fan, but being a Niner fan should provide you with enough things to direct your unhappiness towards.

30. hayward giablommi says: Jul 3, 2009 2:05 PM

@ Niner Nation
    Though its backhanded
    Apology accepted
    God I hate Pittsburgh

31. mrmagoo says: Jul 3, 2009 2:40 PM

hayward giablommi says:
    July 3, 2009 2:05 PM
    @ Niner Nation
    Though its backhanded
    Apology accepted
    God I hate Pittsburgh
    ________________
    That’s a shame. Pittsburgh just feels sorry for you.

32. Fargin Icehole says: Jul 3, 2009 2:41 PM

JimmySmithisagoddamntool
    Is your name Jimmy Smith? Your mother should punish you and take away your gamecube and computer for a week. You sound like a frustrated 12 year old racist Patriot fan. I am a season ticket holder for the Six time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and I live on Long Island(hence the term Steeler Nation).I know this is a football site and everyone enjoys talking smack but you sound like a jerk.Get out of your mom’s basement and see the rest of the country.It’s actually quite nice. I actually enjoy driving to Pittsburgh every year and stopping at all those places that you might think suck. It’s called small town America and it’s awesome. Hpefully you won’t be able to procreate(ask your mom what that means when she gets home from the bar).

33. islebfrank says: Jul 3, 2009 3:10 PM

C.Bass said:
    July 3, 2009 11:29 AM
    “Every player in the NFL (except those who play for DET, CLE, CIN, and OAK) should think their team has a chance at winning the SB.”
    ———————————————-
    Hey Sea.Bass, are you sure you’re not an “under a rock fish,” because the Bengals expect d@mn sure expect to win this year, so forgive them if they go ahead and play their games anyway.
    And please clarify the team you support so when this season plays out I’ll know just how far ahead of the Bengals your team will be drafting next.
    @sshole

34. JoeSixPack says: Jul 3, 2009 3:14 PM

Looks like a few football fans don’t know thier NFL history. Here’s a sample of the state of Football from 1950 – 1966:
    The Chiefs are the Bears of the AFL,” Davis said. “Lamar Hunt has come out publicly and admitted it.”
    “You mean he’s admitted he employs full-time spies?”
    “Yes, he’s admitted budgeting for espionage. Of course, if you talk to him, he’ll be just like all the rest of ‘em–their favorite line is: ‘We just don’t do those things’–but ask anybody in the league and they’ll tell you about Kansas City. Call Don Klosterman in Houston and ask him about the Chiefs.”
    I spoke to Klosterman, a former Chiefs executive who is now general manager of the Oilers. “Oh yeah,” Klosterman confirmed, “Kansas City spies, we caught ‘em last year when we played them in their Municipal Stadium. See, the benches are on the same side of the field and they had this guy who was supposedly a roving photographer, but he was really a spy. . . He was snooping by our bench. Every time one of our coaches would say something important to one of our players, this guy would run over and relay the information to the Kansas City bench. I’m not makin’ this up . . . we’ve got pictures of it.”

35. JimmySmithisagoddamntool says: Jul 3, 2009 3:50 PM

Yeah, Long Island is actually worse than Pennsylvania, so I am not suprised you enjoy driving through it. Enjoy “Small Town America” for the last few years it is there.
    And you’re irritated, so my job is done here. Way to A: Ignore the meat of my argument that Steeler fans are classless pricks and B: Ignore the fact that every frigging coach in the NFL has been taught how to “steal” signals; even your precious 4 Rings With Steroids, 2 Rings Without Playing The Best Player In The League Steelers.

36. roygerela says: Jul 3, 2009 4:12 PM

–There may be Steeler fans north of Philadelphia but no more than there are anyplace else. There may be Steeler fans who are domestic abusers but no more than any other team’s fans.
    More importantly, the notion that the Steeler fan base is geographically or demographically limited in any way is just uninformed. It’s the exact opposite of the truth, which is that the Steelers have the most widespread and diverse fan base in the NFL and possibly in all of pro sports.
    For the latter honor they have competition from the Red Sox and Yankees, Cowboys, and maybe Lakers or Celtics. If you want to broaden the scope, then Manchester United, Arsenal etc. In any case, not the Patriots.
    –It may not be “smart” for Holmes to talk crap, but what are they going to do, take away the Super Bowl championship + MVP?
    –The Patriots have obviously been the best team in the NFL over the past decade or so. It’s not unrelated to that they have beaten the Steelers most of the time. But nonetheless, the Steelers have two titles and the Patriots were in the postseason both of those years. Brady being out is no excuse; it’s part of the game.
    If anything, last year showed how disproportionately the Patriots depend on their all-time great QB–even with a backup who is All-Pro caliber, they won, what, 11 games? How good can the rest of your team be if it takes an All-Pro QB to get you to 11 and an all-time QB to get you a title? The Patriots’ fortunes right now are on very shaky ground.
    Anyway, all that being said, the Patriots have been the best this decade. But they have blown their chance to be spoken of in the same breath as the Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers, Packers–or Red Sox, or Celtics. They could have reached that level by beating NYG in XLII and reaching and winning either XL or XLI. On all three occasions, they failed. Now, their moment in the sun is nearing its end. So when I hear Patriots fans chirping (putting aside the irony of criticizing the reigning SB MVP for trash-talking while simultaneously talking crap about something you did years ago) about their domination over the Steelers, it just brings home that the Patriots are not the Steeler model of enduring dominant franchise. You talk crap about the short term because you have no long term. As for us, we have six glass cases on the stadium concourse.

37. steelerer says: Jul 3, 2009 4:37 PM

The Pats?
    All we have to know is 17-1*

38. tk1966 says: Jul 3, 2009 4:57 PM

to Jimmysmithisatool:
    I’d love to know where it is that you are writing from. You seem to know alot about the “ulgy” parts of the country. I’d love to know what your basis for comparison is.
    I’ve lived up and down the east coast, and now am in SoCal. I’ve visited everywhere in between. Every area have “crapholes” and evey area has beautiful skylines and vistas. Long Island, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Florida, etc, etc. are all no different.
    So please enlighten us all and tell us what beautiful place it is that you call home that has no “crapholes” of its own.
    A few additional points – someone called out the person who said the Steelers have the hardest schedule this year. If I am not mistaken, that person said they had the hardest last year, and said this year’s edition is easy. Oops.
    Why would anyone take exception to Holmes making that prediction? I wouldn’t want someone on my team that doesn’t think that. “Umm, I know we are just ok, and I only hope we can survive. But as long as I am picking up a major league paycheck each week, I’m ok with that.” Is that who you want on your team? Duh!
    And finally, an asterisk because Brady was injured? Really? Couldn’t we make the same asterisk on every trophy for every winner in every league? Isn’t there always someone who can make the case (rightly or wrongly) that their team would’ve won if only this had happened, that had not happened, if this person would not have been hurt, etc. Gimme a break. Thats the biggest whiny cop-out one can come up with. You can do better than that.

39. johnravencard says: Jul 3, 2009 6:01 PM

A few words for Mr. Holmes.
    Check that easy schedule; the first four weeks: Titans, @Bears, @Bengals, Chargers. The Steelers–thanks to Holmes’s boasting–may find themselves starting 1-3.
    Why? Because all four of their first-month opponents have quarterbacks who can throw quick strikes. The Cardinals revealed that weakness of the Burgs: they struggle against passing teams who do not fit their brand of AFC North trench warfare.
    Oh, one more thing, Mr. Santonio Chirper, beware of the revenge of the bird of doom–the Ravens. You cannot expect to squeeze out three close wins again. They too have a quarterback with an arm.

40. VoxVeritas says: Jul 3, 2009 6:56 PM

Mr. Obama’s choice of Mr. Roos, along with other political boosters — from former investment banker Louis B. Susman, known as the “vacuum cleaner” for his fundraising prowess, to Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney — has raised eyebrows among some who thought the president would extend his mantra of change to the diplomatic corps.
    “We’re not only insulting nations [that] we’re appointing these bundlers to, we’re risking U.S. diplomatic efforts in these key countries,” said Craig Holman, a government-affairs lobbyist at watchdog group Public Citizen.
    This tension can be traced back to Mr. Obama’s claim during last year’s campaign that President George W. Bush engaged in an “extraordinary politicization of foreign policy.” Mr. Obama said he instead would ensure that hires are based on merit, rather than party or ideology. The American Academy of Diplomacy, an association of former diplomats, seized on the comments in lobbying him to lower the portion of ambassadors drawn from outside the foreign-service establishment to as little as 10% from the 30% average since President John F. Kennedy’s tenure. (Mr. Bush’s score was 33%.)
    Of the Obama administration’s 55 ambassadorial nominees so far, 33 — or 60% — have gone to people outside the foreign-service ranks, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

41. JoeSixPack says: Jul 3, 2009 7:58 PM

roygerela – I’m sure Matt Cassel appreciates you’re ProBowl vote but he’s not there yet.
    The fact is that even with a QB who never started a game in the NFL, let alone played meaningful downs in the NFL, let alone started a game in college – and in fact hadn’t been a starting QB since HIGH SCHOOL – the Patriots still won 11 games, the most in the AFC East and were not high on the list of teams that other teams wanted to meet in the playoffs.
    I’m not quite sure why this topic got focused on the Patriots – but between the long litany of teams cheating going back to the 1950s to the incredible job the Patriots organization did without Brady, it’s good to set the record straight.

42. EdReed4prez says: Jul 3, 2009 8:16 PM

I can’t say I’m surprised not to hear anything from mendenhall… Chirping leads to pain squeelers. Bet he won’t lower that shoulder when ray ray is waiting in the hole this year.
    Lots of respect for the squeeler organization… outplayed us in close games last year. But I wouldn’t order the rings early.

43. Ravenmaniac says: Jul 3, 2009 8:24 PM

Hey MaGoo….
    I was not looking for you to speak for Sandubio…just havent talked to you in a while…

44. Stlrzfan says: Jul 3, 2009 8:39 PM

JimmySmithisagoddamntool IS a goddamn tool!
    13 years od active duty…as what? A cook? You spout your ignorant drivel and have the nerve to call anyone else classless? Look in the mirror son. I bet your GT score was 50.

45. Alabama leprechaun says: Jul 3, 2009 8:44 PM

VoxVeritas says:
    July 3, 2009 6:56 PM
    __________________________
    I’m so glad Obama is president. Vox Veritas if you hate America so bad then why don’t you move? I don’t think it’s fair to hate Mr. Rooney because his football team is better than the one you like and his politics are more sensible.

46. empty13 says: Jul 3, 2009 9:18 PM

actually 18-1*.
    why sure move away. osamabama moved here from kenya… but oops doesnt that give the game away!
    ron paul is right. obama is trying to wreck the economy. screw obama and his ilk.
    and santurdio must get a lot of info while using that famous canton blend!

47. TheDPR says: Jul 3, 2009 9:30 PM

“we sort of like Santonio’s swagger — if he can continue to play in 2009 like he did during the 2008 postseason.”
    If he manages two receptions per game in 2009 just like he did in the 2008 postseason, he’ll have earned the right to swagger it? Um, not really. He had a very good Super Bowl, not a great postseason. He was below average for a starting WR in the playoffs, then had a very good Super Bowl.

48. JoeSixPack says: Jul 3, 2009 10:19 PM

steelerer says: The Pats?
    All we have to know is 17-1*
    Excellent point.
    *The first and only 16-0 regular season in the history of the game and WITHOUT the benefit of any sideline scouting like Jimmy Johnson and other teams going back to the 1950s like the Bears and Chiefs had done.
    Be sure to point that out to people in the future when they express some second thoughts about what Belichick and the Patriots can accomplish without engaging in the same “cheating” as other teams.

49. mborz says: Jul 3, 2009 11:53 PM

@TheDPR: Why is it you never mention this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or-k41BjfCk