Report: Woman Shot To Death Was McNair's Girlfriend

The woman found shot to death today along with former Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair was allegedly McNair’s girlfriend, according to a CNN report that cited an anonymous law enforcement official.

The name of the woman hasn’t been released even though she has been “tentatively identified.”

McNair was discovered dead today in a downtown Nashville condominium, according to police.

Per the report, the condominium belongs to the woman; witnesses claimed that McNair was a “frequent visitor.”

Nashville Police spokesman Don Aaron told Tennessee reporters today that no suspect is in custody at this time.  Aaron ruled out the scenario of a murder-suicide.

According to the Tennessean, Aaron noted that the woman killed was not McNair’s wife.

Meanwhile, WSMV-TV in Nashville is reporting that the building is owned by Charles Cardwell.

Cardwell told the television station that the unit was rented to a man named Wayne Neeley, but that McNair used the apartment when he was in town.

According to WSMV, the apartment is in close vicinity to McNair’s restaurant, which is named “Gridiron9.”

Cardwell added that he hadn’t seen McNair in about six weeks.

Per the report, two black sport utility vehicles have been towed away from the scene.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
63 Responses to “Report: Woman Shot To Death Was McNair's Girlfriend”
  1. seeleema says: Jul 4, 2009 8:07 PM

R.I.P. my dear friend Steve. Will miss you so very much. God’s Blessings.Condolences to his family and may God protect his 4 boys..

2. IndyWilson says: Jul 4, 2009 8:08 PM

WTF OMG for COL.

3. SteelerNation says: Jul 4, 2009 8:13 PM

I’m really shocked and saddened by this. RIP McNair.

4. Maverick says: Jul 4, 2009 8:14 PM

As a fan of McNair, whom I always considered one of the “good guys” in sports, I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to learn that he had a “girlfriend” while still married to his wife. Whether it is the governor of a state or a NFL star, it seems none of these people in the limelight can manage to be faithful to their spouses.
    Doesn’t negate the great NFL career he had nor all the other positives in his life, but I will admit it causes me to lose a little of the respect I have always had for him.
    Probably my reaction is a result of my age and it may not bother younger people as much.

5. James says: Jul 4, 2009 8:19 PM

So….wonder what his wife is thinking right now?

6. evan geilich says: Jul 4, 2009 8:35 PM

Guns! Guns! Guns! All you gun nuts out there please notice that even if you are Steve McNair when someone has the drop on you and shoots first you are dead. The only solution is for this country to get rid of the guns just like every other civilised country in the west.
    It should be okay to have one full length rifle in your home and nothing more. This satisfies the 2nd amendment and gets guns off the streets. Until then, please do not mourn Steve McNair or anyone else because the shootings which have become worse and worse are going to continue to multiply.

7. mikethevike says: Jul 4, 2009 8:38 PM

is mrs. mcnair a suspect? is he cheating or is he divorced? what a shame.

8. GB3Pack4 says: Jul 4, 2009 8:46 PM

Who placed the “persons injured” call?

9. UrlacherBriggsTillmanVasherCutlerForteHesterOlsen says: Jul 4, 2009 8:49 PM

yeah…i’ve seen many episodes of “Snapped”….sounds like a winner to me. All joking aside, RIP Steve, you will be missed as a once Amazing athlete for all you’ve accomplished in the NFL. Rest in peace, your survivors will be in my prayers.

10. JoaquinFenix says: Jul 4, 2009 8:50 PM

Sure, Evan, you can have my guns. But you’ll have to come and take them from me first.
    Perhaps the surest way to avoid this tragedy was to NOT CHEAT ON YOUR WIFE, a-hole. Seriously, does anyone remain faithful anymore? Or is that just too bourgeoise in today’s cosmopolitan society?

11. subadai says: Jul 4, 2009 8:51 PM

Interesting note… I was watching Sky Sports News Through the Night (From the UK) and even they covered McNair’s death. It was the third lead… after Michael Owen signing w/ Manchester United and the British and Irish Lions winning a Rugby Test to South Africa.
    I guess the NFL IS global.

12. East Bay Ray says: Jul 4, 2009 8:52 PM

Is there much doubt the shooter was a jealous boyfriend/husband?
    Maverick, I’m 37 and agree with you.

13. VoxVeritas says: Jul 4, 2009 9:03 PM

evan geilich says:
    Nothing of merit. Go hug a tree, kook.

14. Arizona Cardinals says: Jul 4, 2009 9:05 PM

The police should be questioning his wife right about……hmmmmm…NOW.
    She HAS to be a suspect….cheating husband….rocket scientist not needed. I’m not making fun, but come on Steve’s with his ‘girlfriend’ of some time. His wife has to be THE SUSPECT. Even if she didn’t pull the trigger….they’ll find missing money…or a way to crack the person who pulled the trigger.

15. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jul 4, 2009 9:09 PM

“Oh what a tangled web we weave,
    When first we practice to deceive!”
    – Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, 1808

16. Maverick says: Jul 4, 2009 9:18 PM

“Maverick, I’m 37 and agree with you. ”
    Thanks East Bay Ray. Sometimes being an 68 year old great-grandmother I feel like I am completely out of touch with today’s world and what is acceptable behavior in society.
    Along with the heartbreak of losing her husband, McNair’s wife will suffer public humiliation because her husband was with a “girlfriend” when he died.
    Just sad all around and for everyone concerned. What a waste.

17. Maverick says: Jul 4, 2009 9:25 PM

Oh, by the way, evan geilich……when you can get all the hoodlums and bad guys of the world to give up THEIR guns, then I will gladly turn in MY concealed carry permit and stop carrying MY gun. Until then, I WILL protect myself.
    We have NO idea what happened to McNair and his girl friend so I am speculating but maybe if THEY had been armed and could protect themselves from their assailant, they would be alive today.
    It wasn’t the gun that killed McNair and his friend, it was the evil and/or deranged person who fired the gun.

18. jacksonflashman says: Jul 4, 2009 9:25 PM

i can absolutely not believe some of these comments. as if cheating – if he even did it – warrants getting a bullet in the head. faithful or not, we are all grown-ups… this is a private matter and should concern nobody but the people directly involved. and evan, i completely agree. guns should not be owned privately. just check the stats, people – countries with strict gun laws have astonishingly low numbers of people killed in crimes.

19. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Jul 4, 2009 9:29 PM

Evan – You are a moron. Please leave your computer, and walk into heavy traffic immediately.
    What about the rest of your comment warrants not mourning Steve McNair, or any other victim of gunplay for that matter?
    @James:
    I agree, I wonder what she must be thinking? I would have to feel worst for her, especially if she didn’t know. I know it seems like she must NOT have known, but I’ve known plenty of couples that have “open relationships”.
    @Maverick and East Bay Ray:
    It probably was a jealous boyfriend or husband. I don’t get why these famous people bother to get married. Might as well just stay a couple and mess around all you want, then you don’t have to keep it a secret because you don’t have to worry about getting raked over the coals when she finds out.
    All circumstances aside, it’s a sad day for the Titans, Ravens, and most of all, the McNair family.
    RIP Air McNair

20. JohnComp12 says: Jul 4, 2009 9:32 PM

This is exactly what I was hoping NOT to hear. Its sad these days that most people dont respect marriage.

21. empty13 says: Jul 4, 2009 9:37 PM

yes, they dont always turn out like “third rate romance”.

22. Real Football Fan says: Jul 4, 2009 9:49 PM

The news is tragic nonetheless. No one deserves to die in this manner, even if there was infidelity involved, which hasn’t been corroborated.
    Also, for all of the moral high horse police, pointing to their “great” past generations, please be quiet. The only thing that’s changed in today’s society is that their is more scrutiny due to more media attention. Even some of the greatest men in the Bible and some of our greatest world leaders routinely took on other women. It doesn’t make it right, but don’t start with that moral high horse garbage when there is clear contradictions to your statements. Just pray for McNair and this young lady, along with those they’ve left behind.

23. allstar7179 says: Jul 4, 2009 9:50 PM

Evan,
    It is total idiots like you that make me weep for the stupidity of some in this country. Guns don’t kill people, PEOPLE kill people. When will morons like you understnad this????

24. foreveriloveatlanta says: Jul 4, 2009 10:02 PM

Nomatter what McNair was doing, we have lost a great player and 3 kids and a wife lost a value to their family….. A jealous boyfriend, husband nomatter death is not the answer…. The lady in question could be a business partner or a close friend…. Lets hear what happens before the fingers of public life start swinging…. Remember nobody has a glass house that will hold and throwing a stone will comeback….. I will remember a QB from a HBC, played in pain, and left the game on a good note, a leader in the community… Most important a father……

25. Vikingsfaninpa says: Jul 4, 2009 10:04 PM

To the anti gun nut. The ILLEGAL GUNS are what do most of the UNJUSTIFIED killing. So by taking LEGAL GUNS away by making them ILLEGAL will do nothing for the ILLEGAL GUNS that are already ILLEGAL but are being used anyway. By making LEGAL GUNS ILLEGAL you will achieve nothing but taking protection away from good folks who have a chance to defend themselves against fools who use ILLEGAL GUNS. And yes I do realize that some LEGAL GUNS do kill innocent people through accidents and angry spouses but so do cars, bars, women, men, audiences at soccer games (specifically outside the country) sporting events, fireworks, skydiving, airplanes, boats, trains, rockets, electricity, swimming, race cars, exzotic pets, the circus, bikes, hiking, rock climbing, skiing, running of the bulls, living in areas with the risk of hurricanes and earthquakes, camping, living with grizzly bears.
    Outlawing something due to potential danger in most cases is foolishness and an over reaction.
    Not to mention I truly believe if the large majority of americans had guns in there homes home invaders would be forced to consider the fact that they may die when they invade someones home.
    Mcnair, great QB, sad way to end his life.

26. k773 says: Jul 4, 2009 10:20 PM

Yeah, this kinda makes me do a little rethinking. I obviously still think this is a tragedy, you don’t deserve to die for cheating on your spouse (although the spouse may feel differently), but I can’t hold someone who cheats in very high regard. Sorry. I’m sure he did great things in the community, but if you want to screw around, be my guest, but don’t get married.

27. nellers says: Jul 4, 2009 10:24 PM

I think it would be appropriate to let his trespasses go, and just mourn the life of an amazing QB gone too soon. I doubt that any of us can stand in judgment of him- I’m pretty sure the majority of us have something we’ve done that we’re not proud of. Whatever he did wrong, if he was having an affair – you cannot sum up someone’s by one deed done wrong. That is not the sum of Steve McNair’s total existence. And whatever he did wrong – he didn’t “deserve” to get shot in the head. All life is sacred, and it’s awful to know that his and whomever that woman was last breath in life was drawn in with terror.

28. SilvernBlack666 says: Jul 4, 2009 10:37 PM

Monogamy is a thing of the past leave it back in the 1950’s with the old fashioned Leave It To Beaver society.
    To quote Vince Vaughn from Old School…..”Now you have gone and done it Frank your stuck with one vag for the rest of your life….are you happy?”

29. MLF says: Jul 4, 2009 10:41 PM

Someone on another post noted that McNair and his wife were separating/separated. I don’t think we should assume he was “cheating” on her and that she didn’t know. It’s entirely possible that they had come to some sort of mutual agreement. It’s the 21st century. I guess even in death there are haters.
    RIP McNair.

30. seriously says: Jul 4, 2009 10:51 PM

really Maverick and east bay ray thats your main concern here? You guys are such deuches. I cant believe thats really bothering you. Its a tragedy two lives were lost and you just gotta condemn a guy while hes down and not getting back up. Trust me thats low. Im glad in knowing that lames like you guys are never happy cuz you are too busy condemning the world with your little pocketfulls of pride. Bums. RIP AIR MCNAIR

31. seriously says: Jul 4, 2009 10:57 PM

too bad my comment didnt get posted but anyways im glad you guys take up this situation for a platform to condemn cheaters especially not knowing if he is one. The guys dead nice to take shots at him and his accused lifestyle. RIP AIR MCNAIR

32. Bubba Maximus says: Jul 4, 2009 11:07 PM

You know our country’s going to Hades in a handbasket when …
    Someone tries to pass off a quote uttered by a second-rate actor in a third-rate film as wisdom.
    Someone equates those who believe in honoring your marital vows as “haters”.
    Someone blames the Second Amendment for gun deaths in the U.S. (BTW, why don’t you anti-gun nitwits re-locate yourselves to one of those foreign paradises where guns are “illegal”?)
    Having said all of that, you know what’s really scary? All of the “Someones” mentioned above can vote, and they breed.
    Heaven help us all.

33. SilvernBlack666 says: Jul 4, 2009 11:10 PM

Now back to what really matters Football, Was there a tougher guy that played the QB position than McNair?
    Did McNair ever play a season “not” injured? It seemed like every week had got banged up but you could never knock him out of the game as far as sheer football toughness goes there might not be any one tougher than Steve McNair RIP!

34. Maverick says: Jul 4, 2009 11:21 PM

Please let me be clear…..I meant in no way that – assuming the rumors that he had a girl friend ARE true – that in any way justified him being murdered. And I am was not judging him as much as expressing my disappointment because he has always been such a great person on and off the field and I was suprised. I was always impressed with him and the way he conducted his life and was a little shocked to learn that he, like so many public figures, did not live up to the person WE would believed them to be. Had it been one of the big mouth athletes who are always being arrested or suspended, I would not have been in the least surprised but that was not Steve McNair.
    I still admire what he did on the field and the many generous contributions he has made to society. Ultimately he was like the rest of us…an imperfect human being.

35. mikethevike says: Jul 4, 2009 11:28 PM

just a note the gal that died is only 20 and they have been together for some time.

36. Maverick says: Jul 4, 2009 11:31 PM

“Do you really think you can expect two people to live their entire lives monogamous in today’s society, and why would you want that anyways are you a some kind of mormon or something?”
    Well, I guess my wonderful husband of 45 years and I and my parents who were happily married for 71 years are the oddballs then. And we are NOT Mormons…..just people who were blessed with wonderful spouses and who had no desire to be with anyone else.

37. UFL says: Jul 5, 2009 12:01 AM

SilvernBlack666 says:
    July 4, 2009 11:10 PM
    Why Raider fans are mocked.
    Silver and Brown you are a complete douchebag.
    So let me get this straight, I assume you have a girlfriend, you think it is cool if you found your girlfriend in bed with another man?
    Only a Raider D.B would think this is okay.
    Maybe Raider fans don’t have girlfriends and have blowup dolls as a substitute.
    Raider D.B are complete idiots, know wonder you bow down to Alvin.
    hahaha

38. originalhairybuffalo says: Jul 5, 2009 12:14 AM

evan geilich says:
    July 4, 2009 8:35 PM
    And spoons made John Candy fat. A penis made Elton John gay and it’s the drugs fault that Barry Bonds has a huge head. Just ask O.J. You don’t need a gun to reduce the world’s population.

39. tankman says: Jul 5, 2009 12:49 AM

there’s lots of things sad about these comments, which i think are more disturbing than the actual story. and no, this isn’t frivolous, but one of them is that there are some of you out there that can’t get the genius of vince vaughn’s humor or appreciate the masterpiece that is old school (though the dude up top does need to get the quote actually right if he’s going to use it).
    we need to have a more open discussion about sex in this country. if some of you muppets weren’t so hung up on hades, heaven, or having christ between you thighs, you’d get that sex is enjoyable and healthy and you don’t have to be married to have it. you’d also know that people can have open relationships and still be loving and devoted in a different way to someone (or more than one) person that they want to have a family and grow old with.
    and the most serious horrors of all of you “douches” (spelled properly, jackass), are the n.r.a. bottoms on this site. you’re illogical whining is tired and stale. take everyone of your sides and just move on. i have never seen a proper response to the plain and simple fact that no other “civilized” country has our gun violence problem. even the “uncivilized” ones don’t really have them either. you can’t explain this. there are “hoodlums” in england, france, japan, u.a.e., and argentina. those “hoodlums” know that the “regular” citizenry don’t carry guns. no one is being slaughtered and robbery, rape and plunder are still higher here. in the u.k. the cops don’t even carry guns; the “hoodlums” must just lack your vision to take over.
    i love that your answers are to suggest that a proper response to our plight would be for everyone to “cowboy up”. makes me think you p is quite inadequate for a v.
    and then there’s the tough guy attitude. “you can have my guns, but you’ll have to come take ‘em from me, huh-heh”…here’s how that’s going to work. one day, the folks who you wish so hard would just “relocate” to a foreign paradise where guns are “illegal” are going to vote your tired lobby out of power and make our home into one of those paradises. then the law works for us. as big a boy as your processed food diet makes you feel, you’re not going to be even a blip on the radar, chief when it comes time to collect up your security man parts. it’s just lame that you goobers think you would actually mount some kind of offensive against law enforcement to protect some pathetic excuse to call yourself a man and a patriot.
    and to this last little wordsmith above. you’re not clever. spoons, penises, and steroids aren’t getting innocent people slain daily. try holding your breath the next time you have a thought until it passes…out.
    real women and men have sex. stop being a bitter-betty and release your geriatric cling to guns and religion. …heaven, hades, and firearms – we need freedom from them way more than of them.

40. Carlos A. says: Jul 5, 2009 1:20 AM

These ending situations is what can cause a person to overlook his achievements. I’ll see him as a great football player while others will see him as a cheater.

41. packerfanfornot4life says: Jul 5, 2009 3:51 AM

this is the most idiotic post ive read. let me see here get rid of all the guns?? yeah the criminals would gladly hand them over too!!! Just like they got rid of all the booze during prohibition. You surly are drinking Obamas’ cool-aid.

42. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Jul 5, 2009 5:28 AM

POLO
    Playerz
    Only
    Live
    Once
    thats what me and mickystee LIVED by…

43. jacksonflashman says: Jul 5, 2009 5:31 AM

wow, tankman, thank you. one of the best internet discussion posts i’ve ever read. every word is true. right on!!!

44. Maverick says: Jul 5, 2009 8:46 AM

Seriously said:
    “You guys are such deuches.”
    Just for the record…..I’m not a guy – I’m a gal.

45. empty13 says: Jul 5, 2009 9:13 AM

no, tank is an idiot. he plans to move in after ya turn your guns in.
    hell he’ll try to do yer kids too.

46. PolegoJim says: Jul 5, 2009 10:04 AM

Tankman – you must polish that soap box daily. My way or the wrong way, typical of pontificating liberals? Open your own ‘Doing My Thing’ church, and stop preaching in a sports blog. The question isn’t ‘can they’, but ‘should they’. Societal results are quite telling, but you may not read much so you can hold on to your tunnel vision viewpoint and demand nothing is wrong.
    Back to Steve McNair – I’ll leave moral comments out on adultery or guns liberal or conservative, religious or not. The point now is the sadness of his kids loss of a good father, a decent man.
    Wrong place wrong time, or bad decision, whether we find out or not, nothing changes the true sadness of the situation, and the support the family needs right now. There’s plenty of time to establish any type of guilt later.

47. tankman says: Jul 5, 2009 12:33 PM

nothing in polegojim’s first paragraph referring to my statements even makes grammatical sense. if he actually had a coherent thought, we might be able to educate him a little. i can certainly say that nowhere did i claim that “nothing’s wrong”. that was the point of the post. there is something wrong. our culture’s shameful blind and greedy loyalty to me, myself, and christ.
    and who gives a baker’s f@ck if this is a “sports blog”. there’s never a time not to speak out, and frankly, there’s not much else to say sports-wise than what’s already been said – he’s a qb from a small college who lead a team, played hurt, and almost won a championship. we got it.
    it’s tragic that these two people were killed by anything more than unnatural causes, but there’s nothing more to say until more facts are released.
    what you can’t say for sure is that he was a “good father and a decent man”. no one on this blog knows this guy personally well enough to say anything like that. the most recent details suggest that he hadn’t spoken to his wife (and i assume his kids) in several days over a holiday weekend. he shared a registered car with a 20-yr old girl and allowed her to drive drunk (that would be underage to boot). he shared a side-apartment outside of his family residence where both he and the 20-yr old girl were known to be frequent visitors. i love all the hicks that want to bash michael jackson but if you throw a football and get underage mistresses drunk and arrested it’s “good father, decent man.”
    the specifics of this story are tragically typical and decidedly beside the point. we’re meant to make ourselves better as a community and discussing the detrimental effects of religious fanaticism as it relates to sex, race, and marriage as well as the absurd level of gun-violence in this country is an appropriate place to start.

48. SilvernBlack666 says: Jul 5, 2009 1:15 PM

UFL
    At least the Raiders have a history you will be bankrupt in about 6 months in court and then destitute. Al Davis will still be in business. The UFL is a joke!
    You should bow down and kiss the old mans tea bag you might get a whiff of real man!

49. jacksonflashman says: Jul 5, 2009 1:25 PM

what really astonishes me is the way that religious-based selfrighteousness and conservative views make people blind to statistically proven facts.
    i live in vienna, austria. for those who do not know, we are a small country in the middle of europe. my city has recently been voted the city with the world’s best quality of life in the world. the number of people killed by guns a year in austria is absurdly low. do you know why? because we have VERY strict gun laws as well as a system that provides education and social security for the underprivileged. the same goes for the uk, as tankman rightfully pointed out, and for the rest of middle and western europe, compared to gun-crazy america. how can you accept that fact and STILL be pro-private-gun ownership?????? How??????
    o know, a bunch of great gunowning macho patriots will now tell me to go fu*k my liberal self and stay where i am and you know what? i will. the constant mixing between society, politics and religious beliefs, a culture that idolises violence, but condemns a female breast on tv, the lack of basic social security and education for the poor seem to have made the US a less fun place to live in.

50. tankman says: Jul 5, 2009 1:47 PM

51. UFL says: Jul 5, 2009 1:55 PM

And the Raiders will still suck and your Dada Al will still rob his fans.
    Raider fans will still be the vermin and douchebags of society
    The only history the Raiders have is one of embarassment and losing and a owner that is a poster child for dementia.

52. empty13 says: Jul 5, 2009 5:51 PM

i dont condemn female breasts on tee-vee.
    and i dont go to church very often.
    liberals dont know jack about the people they spar with.
    and i see the posse all over posts from last nite but they are sure slowin down today the 5th.
    we only owe the dead the truth. not bullshit pretty lies.
    mcnair screwed up bigtime. not a role model.
    get over it posse. and stop blaming it on guns. because the next cause celebre after that will be knife control, sword control, mean word control, whatever…
    learn some self control. besides, the first post i saw about mcnair AND guns was put up by a jackass who said it was time for some more gun control. go chew his ass for being political.

53. East Bay Ray says: Jul 5, 2009 7:31 PM

In defense of Maverick and myself, neither of us implied McNair “deserved” what he got because he was having an extramarital affair. Nor are we “haters” or did we “condemn” him.
    We expressed appropriate disappointment that a person who was held up as a class act was with a 20 year old woman while his wife and 4 children were at home. Of course, he didn’t deserve to die. But, if he had been home with his family, he’d probably be alive today, no?
    And, marital vows are some of the most important words a person will ever speak. If a person living up to his word is somehow a quaint, outdated notion, we as a society are screwed. By the way, I lean to the left politically and am an agnostic. It has nothing to do with that.

54. jacksonflashman says: Jul 5, 2009 7:43 PM

i am not for bullshitting and all for the truth… but not for the truth being interpreted by people who seem to think that their shit doesn’t stink or that their personal values are the golden standard.
    is it a strong possibility that mcnair cheated or that that he and his sife had some kind of arrangement? yeah. but so what? it does not warrant getting physically harmed in any way. so it’s not valid point to bring up.
    the moral standards that are being taught by religious organisations are NOT and i repeat NOT binding for society. qhat’s binding is what the LAW says… and there is no prison sentence for cheating, so it’s not a point at all. whether somebody is stupid enough to pick somebody who’s great at throwing a football to other guys as his role model or not is also not a point of general interest.
    and why should we go and chew evan’s ass? he’s completely right. i’d like to see that woman try to kill mcnair with anything but a firearm.

55. Getting Older says: Jul 5, 2009 8:22 PM

It’s a shame that he got HIMSELF into this mess, limelight seems to have a way of changing folks, Awesome quarterback, admired what he has done for NFL, However, He chose to have a GL, and He chose to be away from his family, He chose the things that he did. I am sure He did not intend to put himself into the position that ended his life, but he did those things that lead to this. All of life’s choices have a price, some come out good for you and some are bad.
    As far as gun control, we have too many laws on the books for gun control, more don’t help. Guns are tools, they have their good uses as well as bad, It all depends on how You use the tool. I have seen in my life where a person was murdered by a hammer, an icepick, chainsaw, and many other TOOLS, are we going to put controls on these? Of course not, tools are neutral, it’s use determines whether its good or bad. Our amendments rights are what differentiate us from the rest of the world!
    “Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” Benjamin Franklin

56. tankman says: Jul 5, 2009 8:32 PM

another tired and stale whine and rank-ass cheese party from the n.r.a ball-babies. “the next thing they’ll want is sword control, knife control, mean word control…” what a chump. you absolutely can’t think a half-step ahead of your dribbling self to make a legit breakfast order, let alone an informed debate.
    swords, knives, and mean words have been around since well before christ was turned into more than a real man. yet nowhere today, or in the last 500 years (outside of mass war) are people, kids, cheaters, passers-by, students, grandmas, and even most “bad-guys” getting mowed down with swords, knives, or mean words. we’re bringing up a specific issue about gun violence being a specific detriment to society and you’re deflecting the real issue with absurd run-arounds about medieval warfare and wanting to restrict all things that can harm somebody. you just don’t get it, you useless muppets. we want to restrict guns and we have a reasonable argument with strong evidence to support our claims that the situation in the u.s. is ridiculous and unnecessary when compared to the vast majority of less “civilized’ places in the world.
    it also is a pathetic display of hypocrisy when the gun-nuts go all frothy about restricting pornography and drugs. where is the “naked pictures don’t cause immoral behavior, people do…drugs don’t cause communities harm, drugs do…” so i say to you, why can’t other countries have nuclear weapons? nuclear weapons don’t kill people, it’s the person who uses it who does. ….and what does that say for us as the only country to ever use one on anybody?
    answer the direct question with some reason and truth: why does the u.s. have such a preposterously high percentage of gun violence, murder, rape, and robbery while western europe, japan, australia, canada, and many others have virtually none? you may not use any fabricated and irrelevant “evidence” about “we have too many races…too many people…too many immigrants.
    answer the question.

57. Snafusnatcher says: Jul 6, 2009 5:13 AM

I have not read every post so this already might be in there… Did anyone think it might be a murder – suicide? Since the gun was found UNDER her body, and she only had ONE gunshot wound and he had FOUR? Perhaps he was calling this relationship OFF and she could not handle it?
    Just seems ODD that the “murderer” would not get outta there with the gun that he or she shot them with.
    RIP Steve (and the young woman) She was so young and also had her whole life ahead of her.

58. lee says: Jul 6, 2009 2:16 PM

so for those of you who speculate it was some outside person or say let’s not rush to judge the murder/suicide angle – i offer : firstly, crimes of passion by women are often committed using a gun. secondly, the fact that he had multiple gunshot wounds is also an indication of a woman’s crime of passion. lastly, she only had one gunshot wound – to the head – one of the most likely areas a woman would use a gun to kill herself and the gun was found under her body. these are both indications that she was probably the shooter. those things aside, it is certainly not beyond speculation that someone else could have done this but “set it up” to look like the young lady did it. from all indications, his wife knew nothing of this alleged affair so she is most likely not suspect – again, this also could be proven wrong.

59. tankman/jacksonflash=dueches says: Jul 6, 2009 5:10 PM

Some of the comments left on this page are so obvioius, expected, and ignorant that I (for the first time in all my online article viewing) felt the need to leave a comment that I actually created a profile just to reply.
    Sadly, some of you reading this will not, now or ever, fully understand the depths of your own ignorance or how narrow minded/ shallow/ simple/ mislead and influencable views and opinions are. That is fine. But for the sake of trying to rid our society of piggish closed minded shallow views (i.e. comments left by tankman and a few of his simple minded descipled moths …. “caugh, jacksonflash”) I thought I would say this….
    Your comments, although wordy, sincere, and some what factually supported, really leaves me (and I am sure many others) feeling sad for society for having read your comments. There are all kinds of points made above and there are all kinds of people living on this earth and reading this chat…..that being said, I will say for the collective the following remarks in no paticular order of importance:
    Need we be reminded that GUNS do not kill people, PEOPLE kill people. While I completely agree, as an American, that American gun control laws are too slacked, I have NEVER worried about a gun…only the person who has access to that gun, or might be in possession of it. Guns are not the problem, nor is sex or fame…..this death, this article, and the reason you are reading this blurb is a result of people and the consequences of their actions.
    I think it is ironic that you can so maliciously slam the “christian crazies” for their “self rightous morals” yet you miss the very underlying principles on what their beliefs are about…..Christianity, or most any religions, at the very heart are very beautiful when understood and followed. Would the world heed more importance to the biblical teachings and principles (in its truest form) there would be no need for murder investigations, gun laws, or jealousy, pain, or anger to the point where tragedies (like the McNair death for which we are “talking about”) would never come to exist.
    Now before all you “super swav, intelligent, and judgmental people” (like my tankman and jacksonflashes) are quick to label me just another “old, conservative, self rightous christian boring ole kook” let me qualify my remarks…. I played college football (started 3 years and was elected to the NCAA hall of fame, I was offered a position on minnesota vikings and phili eagles squads but passed to pursue personal and career goals (which includes me having my masters, CPA, and currently rounding off my Law Degree to be a sports agent). I am only 26 and have had more opportunities/experiences than most get in a life time. I have “been with”
    more beautiful women than I am willing to bet most of you opinionated pro as much sex with as many people as I can have it people have had combined (seriously) and I can honestly say reading the articles above I was reminded of the sayings, “those who do not have wish they had, and those who do have wish they didn’t”. I have lived a very blessed and enriched life. Among them was the abilities to get women….however, I recently got married to a girl I am head over heels for, and although I was proud at the time of all the smokin hot girls I was with, there isn’t a day since I met my wife that I didn’t wish I could take back all those times I was with other girls so that she didn’t have to know/wonder/feel less about who she was or what I was giving her. Before you bash the bible/religions of this world, or the people that hold the values to their hearts, I hope you (1) understand what it is you are truly bashing (which usually isn’t the case…rarely have people truly taken the time to personally educate themselves before forming an opinion over those things, and (2) realize the teachings of most religions aren’t to punish you or prevent you from something like having fun or a good life….infact, they are there to help you avoid making mistakes that you might one day regret. What is so bad about something that teaches us to appreciate life/each other in the purest of forms. What is wrong with promoting values of self respect, humilty, commitment, kindness, or forgiveness? Without those, jealousy, anger, greed, lust and infedelity, pride and sorrow is what can arise….the very same factors which were probably involved in the McNair tragedy. I believe if those factors were not present, Steve would still be a committed maried man, a wife wouldn’t be a widow, and a young waitress wouldn’t be broken hearted and dead. McNair’s death does not teach us we need more gun controls or less….or anything other than life has its ups and its downs, and has many trappings along each turn of every memorable moment. NOBODY is immuned to the trappings of life, love, lust, addiction, greed, pride, or envy.. I have several friends in the NFL that deal with these things on a daily basis.
    So, before some of you spit out super macho wisdom at a level that a 13 year old would obtain from watching “The Big Labowski” or reading a “Playboy”, I hope we can all realize we ALL have an opinion and our own seperate views….every group (although each has its own fanatics and bad apples that give the rest a bad name) has its own purpose and benefits. There isn’t a person in my life that I haven’t or wasn’t able to learn one thing from that made me a better member of society…..sometimes you just have to keep an open mind and see past your own cockiness to be able to take it in and benefit from it…. I hope some people commenting on this article will do that. I didn’t mean this to come off as a PRO Christianity or PRO gun rights article….that’s not what I am saying at all. What I am saying though, is when I read somebody talking about how “REAL MEN AND WOMEN HAVE SEX…..” and telling people to “get God out from btwn their legs and get a man there instead….” I have to say I feel sorry for you…and for those people in society who aren’t smart enough to not be influenced by you. Instead of telling people to get God out of their legs, it sounds like you could afford to get a bit of “God” (or atleast some of the wisdoms found in his teachings) between your ears and in your mind. Being a “REAL MAN” isn’t about having sex….not at all. I’ve been there and done that with my share of REALLY beautiful women…and I feel bad for you if that’s what you are living for or how you define yourself, bc looking back I find it to be some of my worst moments. Being a “REAL MAN” is about standing for something that you can be proud of, something that adds value and enriches society and those around you. Its about making tough and wise choices so you can look yourself in the mirror years down the road and respect the person you see….its about being an example to others and making an impact on others life in positive ways. Its about being a part of something bigger than yourself and having something to show for your time that you were blessed to walk this earth. Thats being a real man. Its just sad that you don’t seem to get that based on what this article (Steve McNair’s Death) was about. He was getting his share, and from the sounds of it so was she….did that make them REAL men or women??? No. Steve did great things and used his blessed opportunities for (in part) good. I believe some where along the way he got lost in pride, lust, and maybe greed, and ultimately the money, sex, and lack of satisfaction for what he already had might have lead to his down fall. (I realize there are assumptions made there….). But, although this is a black eye to him, his family, and his legacy, he will be remembered for his good things and the real things that made him a man. So, before you talk about how “Real Men” have a lot of sex on an article that was the result of a man and women lusting and being unfaithful, and before you bash people for their conservative (perhaps christian) views, that ironically could have and probably would have prevented this death…. I hope you will take a moments pause from your internet, trying to hide behind your online chats, to sound witty and smart, and realize the implications for what you say. I am sure if Steve could he would take back his actions and would try to follow some of those same values you are now bashing….and he would probably slap you in the face for using an article about his death to peddle your smutty, dis-respectful, narrow minded opinions that are based on the same crap that got him to the position of where he was when he was murdered.
    I hope we can all learn from those around us and appreciate people for who they are and the opinions they have and realize none of us has it all, nobody has all the answers. We all live and we all die…..and at the end of the day sex, drugs, violence, and all of that is only short lived and short term satisfaction. Its who we are as people that makes this whole song and dance worth the while, and I encourage some of you to find out what else is out there, what deeper meaning to life could there possably be, beyond sex and money, self image and fame. Guns don’t murder people anymore than laws prevent it. At the end of the day its people who make things tick the way they tick…..i don’t see how gun control, sex will prevent anything if people don’t fix people first. Cheating, pursuing materialistic things, disrespecting one’s family, marriage, and self image for the sake of self will ever make society a place worth living. Some of you need to realize these things, mature up, be real and honest, and keep an open mind. Some of you would also get a lot more from your own life if you spent more time reading “the good book” and less time bashing it….I promise.

60. blueskysiii says: Jul 6, 2009 7:11 PM

What a BS pussy forum that chooses to delete all the messages that were the slightest bit pro/con? Way to whitewash the news MSNBC. What a bunch of pussies!

61. Barbara says: Jul 6, 2009 8:24 PM

The exact same thing happen to me 11 years ago. When the news was told to me I was so mad at my husband that I couldn’t drop a tear. A good man, father and husband would have been honesty enough to tell wife that he didn’t want her anymore and file for a divorce. Maybe if he would have been at home with his family during the holidays, he will still be here today. I don’t care what he did for the NFL and GOD is not going to care either. Michelle should hold her head up high and don’t worry about what the public is saying. The public isn’t the one who’s going to decide if you go to heaven or hell. Take my advice, put him away nicely and move the hell on. You have to be strong for your children. If the role was reversed he’ll probably have another woman in your house the after your funeral. A GOOD MAN MY ASS!

62. bgl says: Jul 7, 2009 6:25 AM

My dear Evan,
    You said….
    >>>>
    and my reply: ????????????????? Not one word of that makes any sense…..
    Name me one civlized country that has gotten rid of their guns!!!!!! Wait did you mean Iraq? Iran? Israel? Korea? China? Russia?
    I like the town in Georgia where it is a law that everyone MUST carry a gun and you know what there’s no crime!!
    Keep on trucking Evan you’ll “get it” one of these days.

63. Troyonll says: Jul 7, 2009 1:18 PM

I really wasn’t going to register here but after reading what tankman/jacksonflash=dueches wrote I had to just say you are wise beyound your 26 years. your article was well thought out and sincere. It has reafirmed my faith in young people. Any parent would be proud to have you as a child. Thanks for making me feel better today my wise friend!