Edwards Partied With Stallworth On Night Of Accident

NFL_edwards_250.jpgBraylon Edwards thought Donte’ Stallworth was fine.  Otherwise, he would have stopped his friend from driving the morning of March 14, when Stallworth ultimately killed a pedestrian, Mario Reyes.

Edwards’ involvement in the night was learned Tuesday, when evidence was released after a public records request from the Associated Press.

“We’re friends.  If he were anything outside himself, I would have told
him to stay here.  He looked OK.  He looked fine,” Edwards said in a
recorded statement to the police.

Edwards told the authorities how he and Stallworth had drinks earlier in the day at a hotel pool.  They met up again after 2:00 a.m. and Stallworth admitted to taking shots of tequila.

“Three, four at the most,” Stallworth said.  “I wasn’t really counting.”

When interviewed, Stallworth said he was not intoxicated.  The toxicology analysis indicated Stallworth tested postive for marijuana, although Edwards and Stallworth didn’t mention using the substance.  (Shocker.)

The other details from the night shine a light on the extravagant life of an NFL player, at least when that player was taken in the top three picks of the draft.

Edwards spent $3,443 at the club, including $1,500 on Perrier-Jouet Rose champagne and $695 on Grey Goose vodka.  (No word on whether he dropped any of the bottles.)

Edwards has had difficulties with his image and can’t be thrilled this news is becoming public just before a contract year.  Stallworth, currently serving a 30-day jail sentence for DUI manslaughter, has far greater problems.

It sounds like he realized it that night.  Stallworth was already playing the “what if” game when thinking about Mario Reyes, the man he killed.

“If he would have completely stopped and not kept going . . . I don’t know
why he kept going,” Stallworth said, his voice reportedly trailing to a whisper.

“I don’t know. I should have just stayed home.”

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Edwards Partied With Stallworth On Night Of Accident”
  1. darrius_heyward-bey-butterfingers says: Jul 7, 2009 8:49 PM

You gotta be smart like Maurice Clarett and buy your Grey Goose by the bottle. It’s just too expensive. Or you can buy the cheap stuff like I do.

2. EskinSux says: Jul 7, 2009 8:52 PM

They made a bet who could drop the most passes or miss the most games……….Donte wins…….

3. 56lightsout56 says: Jul 7, 2009 8:54 PM

Edwards spent $3,443 at the club
    even if a cab ride would have cost $100.00 it would have been far less expensive than that it ultimately cost.

4. Omega says: Jul 7, 2009 8:57 PM

WOW, Edwards was out after 2:00 drinking with a bar tab over several hundred of $$$$. HE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED!!!! I don’t care how he got home. I don’t care how many of his posse were free loaders. The commish needs to send a message right now. The idea of professional athletes drinking in public MUST BE STOPPED.
    Thank you St. Michael for bringing this to our attention.
    Omega
    The Last Word!

5. bouch42 says: Jul 7, 2009 9:00 PM

The biggest story here is 695 for a bottle of Goose. That should be a crime. If I could get that, my bar in GB would still be open.

6. scalia75 says: Jul 7, 2009 9:02 PM

If he cut down on the booze, maybe he’d catch more balls. I mean, other than the ones in his mouth.

7. Claudio says: Jul 7, 2009 9:27 PM

Whoa whoa whoa wtf! What happened to the rating the comments? I liked what EskinSux said but I can’t give him a 5. Man f##k this website. Now there is no reason to try to be funny with a comment. How are you gonna know if people liked it or not?

8. Silver&Black666 says: Jul 7, 2009 9:32 PM

$3,443!!
    Let me go to Tijuana with that much fun money and see how long it takes me to come back.
    He spent that in one night and that doesn’t include the hookers.

9. gchris84 says: Jul 7, 2009 9:37 PM

Omega… I only wish that you were rich and had been dating Sahel Kazemi… Then ignorant a$$ comments like that would go unheard.

10. DarthPirate says: Jul 7, 2009 9:41 PM

I agree, the comment rating needs to come back. How the hell am I supposed to improve my self esteem by giving myself 5/5 everytime?
    Plus it was fun to watch Vox Veritas make a comment about the Cowboys and immediately get marked down.
    Seriously though Florio, put that function back in!

11. PkrNboro says: Jul 7, 2009 9:50 PM

Edwards spent $3,443 at the club, including $1,500 on Perrier-Jouet Rose champagne and $695 on Grey Goose vodka. (No word on whether he dropped any bottles.)
    —————
    I just hate it when former players can’t make ends meet, after their playing days are over…
    These people make absurd money and get foolish. Then they play long after they should have retired, thus endangering their health.
    I’ll stay up late tonight (again), worrying about this…

12. jimicos says: Jul 7, 2009 9:50 PM

Omega says:
    July 7, 2009 8:57 PM
    Thank you St. Michael for bringing this to our attention.
    Omega
    The Last Word!
    ————————–
    Actually, Omega is the last letter.

13. FumbleNuts says: Jul 7, 2009 9:54 PM

Maybe the “hangovers” caused ALL the dropped passes for Braylon?
    The guy needs to quit drinking on Saturday nights!

14. Charles says: Jul 7, 2009 10:09 PM

Ok i have to call this bull shit. ” The toxicology analysis indicated Stallworth tested postive for marijuana, although Edwards and Stallworth didn’t mention using the substance. Shocker.
    ” All that proves is that he smoked weed in the last month. Shits gonna be legal in California in 2010 anyway…

15. Footballin5 says: Jul 7, 2009 10:13 PM

Omega,
    I’m sorry but that is the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a while. I hope you were attempting at comedy with some form of sarcasm. To suggest anyone outside of criminals and people on the clock should be prohibited from drinking (while seemingly staying within the guidelines of the law) is completely un-american.
    So should Bill Gates be prohibited from drinking past two with a huge tab b/c he’s a billionaire and millions of young tech-geeks strive to be like him?
    Should Snoop Dogg be prohibited from drinking past two with a huge tab b/c millions of kids look up to him?
    How bout Oprah?
    What is it about Braylon Edwards that makes you believe he deserves a fine for these actions over anyone else in a similar position?

16. Eric Kidd says: Jul 7, 2009 10:22 PM

I think stopping athletes from drinking in public is absolutely ludicrous. It’s completely different for the rest of the population, and as long as athletes are responsible, then they should be able to partake in the same freedom the rest of us enjoy.
    Maybe the fact that Braylon Edwards wasn’t smoking marijuana is why he didn’t mention it to the police, I’m not a huge Edwards fan, but to imply that he was using illegal drugs is dragging him through the mud.
    Florio should know this all too well, there is no way to test to see if you are intoxicated on marijuana at any specific moment. All the test does is see if there is tetrahydrocannabinol (marijauna’s active ingredient) in your system, and it can be in there for over 30 days after it’s used. It’s possible that Stallworth wasn’t using marijuana that night, or even that week, and he could still test positive for it.
    In fact, the league has only said that Stallworth had traces of marijuana in his system, and even Florio said: “It’s unlikely that Stallworth was both legally drunk and illegally high.”

17. INVAIDUH says: Jul 7, 2009 10:36 PM

jimicos gets a 5/5.

18. TheVillain112 says: Jul 7, 2009 10:36 PM

695 for a bottle of Grey Goose? I was in manhattan last weekend and got 2 bottles of Grey Goose for 500.
    Not trying to show off, but the numbers don’t add up.

19. truthsayer says: Jul 7, 2009 11:02 PM

First, as others said, the rating of comments ferature needs to be re-installed. NBC should be able to handle that, I don’t understand why it has gone away.
    Second, there are plenty of what-if’s from that night, but I’m not sure what this story is meant to accomplish. Yes, Edwards is a rich athlete with plenty of cash to blow in a night out. Yes, the night ended pretty badly for Stallworth – he could have done any number of things other than end it the way he did. Yes Mario Reyes tragically died, his poor family will never be the same. And yes, the ultimate cause of this tragedy is still clouded by Stallworth’s possible intoxication and Reyes’s jaywalking/illegal crossing.
    I guess this story on Edwards is fact but what does it really add?
    Bring back the comment rating system!

20. McFly says: Jul 7, 2009 11:24 PM

Omega says:
    July 7, 2009 8:57 PM
    Thank you St. Michael for bringing this to our attention.
    Omega
    The Last Word!
    Honestly… It gets really annoying when idiots rip the person who didnt even post the story. I know we all wanna bash Florio but dont make yourself look like a douche when rosenthal was the one who posted it. Its right at the top… Read the damn thing! Last Word? Shit, we couldnt be so lucky

21. TURD_FERGUSON says: Jul 7, 2009 11:25 PM

@OMEGA
    “The idea of professional athletes drinking in public MUST BE STOPPED”
    This could be one of the biggest douche bag comments I’ve ever read. Yes we must stop all professional athletes from going out and actually living a somewhat normal life because of there status.
    The idea of dumba$$ people like you on this site MUST BE STOPPPED!!!!!

22. clintdogg says: Jul 7, 2009 11:25 PM

Claudio is an idiot.
    Now you know what I think.

23. Indyeagle says: Jul 7, 2009 11:33 PM

Florio, I’m with everyone else on this one, bring back the rating system. I love drilling Vox with a 1/5 almost everytime.
    Lastly, who cares if Edwards was with Stallworth? It is the off-season.

24. Mute617 says: Jul 8, 2009 12:58 AM

Why do you (all media) keep bringing up the pot? The only way that was the reason for the accident is if he was in the middle of smoking it right when he hit the guy and was too busy watching the flame on the bowl rather than the road. Otherwise, it’s the alcohol. I don’t think the marijuana part needs to be thrown in everytime the story is brought up again.

25. southernboi727 says: Jul 8, 2009 3:53 AM

Eric Kidd and Omega get 5/5

26. IStateYourName says: Jul 8, 2009 7:41 AM

When someone throws themselves under your wheels like that, its best to have a BAC of 0.0.

27. Kevin from Philly says: Jul 8, 2009 8:39 AM

Looks like Braylon let another one slip through his fingers.
    Btw,
    1-Am I really the only guy on this site that recognizes that Omega was being sarcastic?
    2-S&B, I REALLY wouldn’t recommend walking around Tiajuana with $3K in your wallet.

28. KingJoe! says: Jul 8, 2009 8:45 AM

Mr. Edwards please tell me and the other officers what happened on the night in question.
    “yea dude, wez were sharing a twisted, and my man said hey you want to go for a ride, I was like you seem okay, and since I am riding high myself, I figured I am a good judge of character. So fors I was gonna ride’em on da 50’s , but i gotz this girl whose was getting all up on my junk, sos ids told him to roll wit out me. NExt thing I hear is that dude, busted up some hispanic guy who was M walking or something likes that. I doenst know whazit called but fellow I hear flew up and went blam, and blew my man stallz buzz totally”

29. Mandingo52 says: Jul 8, 2009 8:51 AM

30. Omega says: Jul 8, 2009 9:29 AM

“What is it about the readers on this site that they can’t recognize sarcasm when it smacks them in the face? Omega, I got your sarcasm and thought it was great.”
    “My point on this matter is only this, Edwards shouldn’t be getting his name connected to marijuana use because of Stallworth’s prior use. Stallworth was the one who made the decision to drink and drive, and ended up causing a tragic accident. While Edwards was there earlier that tragic night, it doesn’t sound like his tab included Stallworth’s four shots of tequila, and there is no evidence to suggest that he was using marijuana, either.”
    “Young, rich, offseason, and a bachelor in Miami…….what did Edwards do wrong? I’m not getting what you are hinting at Florio? ”
    Hey McFly, since this is Florio’s web site I hold him responsible for content published.
    Looks like a few of you got my point.
    Omega
    The Last Word

31. jimicos says: Jul 8, 2009 10:13 AM

It’s still a letter, not a word.

32. danj0306 says: Jul 8, 2009 10:21 AM

Looks like Edwards dropped the ball on this one… What else is new?

33. KingJoe! says: Jul 8, 2009 11:02 AM

Oh thanks Omega, didnt realize how smart you are. Without this condemnation of the other folks on the board, I dont think I could have slept last night. Thank the oh powerful lord that you have compiled the list of previous post so us diminutive-brained folks can following along.

34. realityonetwo says: Jul 8, 2009 11:15 AM

Grey Goose is so overrated. Vodka’s a tasteless, odorless liquor. Sure, there are some that are made cheap, like rot gut, but any decent vodka is as good as the Goose…

35. KingJoe! says: Jul 8, 2009 11:39 AM

Whats good for the Goose is good for the gander. Would anyone spend 695 on a bottle of Grey Gander?

36. Omega says: Jul 8, 2009 2:12 PM

KingJoe posted …
    “”yea dude, wez were sharing a twisted, and my man said hey you want to go for a ride, I was like you seem okay, and since I am riding high myself, I figured I am a good judge of character. So fors I was gonna ride’em on da 50’s , but i gotz this girl whose was getting all up on my junk, sos ids told him to roll wit out me. NExt thing I hear is that dude, busted up some hispanic guy who was M walking or something likes that. I doenst know whazit called but fellow I hear flew up and went blam, and blew my man stallz buzz totally”
    No sarcasim here. KingJoe did you really think about what you were posting? I mean really?

37. gchris84 says: Jul 8, 2009 8:33 PM

Omega,
    I caught your sarcasm the first time, just thought the post was stupid.
    Alpha.
    PS go to http://www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp to find out what King Joe was trying to say. You’ll then catch his sarcasm.