McNair filmed suicide prevention PSA prior to his death

As we try to strike the right balance between those of you who want us to cover every possible angle of the Steve McNair tragedy and those of you who have found yourselves actually longing for a return to the days when we talked primarily about Brett Favre and Mike Vick, here’s one that, after some deliberation, we have decided to mention.

According to Ken Whitehouse of the Nashville City Paper, McNair had filmed a suicide prevention public service announcement for the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities.

The spot had not yet been completed, and it won’t be.

“We were developing a PSA but it never reached the point of being aired and it seems broadcasting it now is not only inappropriate but doesn’t serve the community, his family or memory, or the issue we hoped the PSA would help address,” Jill Hudson, the communications director for the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities, told Whitehouse.

On the surface, it’s a strange and morbid coincidence.  At a deeper level, however, we can’t help but wonder how close McNair to acquiring sufficient knowledge, through his work on the PSA, to spot the fact that Sahel Kazemi was suicidal.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Legal, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
18 Responses to “McNair filmed suicide prevention PSA prior to his death”
  1. BrenstonBuckner says: Jul 9, 2009 9:17 AM

He also did a PSA on the dangers of tandem parasailing with a crazy Iranian women…

2. Display Name says: Jul 9, 2009 9:19 AM

I would think that if his family didn’t object that it’d have more meaning now than before.
    I can understand them not wanting to air it though.

3. SM1 says: Jul 9, 2009 9:23 AM

L.M.A.O.

4. EShine says: Jul 9, 2009 9:28 AM

I’ll let this one slide since you posted 10 straight football related articles since the last McNair theory.
    What a wild little tidbit.

5. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jul 9, 2009 9:45 AM

♪ In the cool of the evening when everything is gettin’ kind of groovy
    ♪ I call you up and ask if you would like to go with me and see a movie
    ♪ First you say no, you’ve got some plans for the night
    ♪ But then you stop, and say, alright
    ♪ Love is kinda crazy with a spooky little girl like you!
    ♪ You always keep me guessin’, I never seen to know what you are thinkin’
    ♪ And if a fella looks at you it’s for sure your little eye will be a winkin’
    ♪ I get confused, ‘cos I don’t know where I stand
    ♪ But then you smile, and hold my hand
    ♪ Love is kinda crazy with a spooky little girl like you!
    ♪ Spooky!…….

6. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Jul 9, 2009 9:49 AM

What a sad and strange coincidence, but to answer your question, Mike, no he couldn’t recognize the signs because they didn’t exist until July 2nd at the earliest, and possibly not until the morning of July 4th despite what police say. Murder-suicide, maybe (likely, even), but premeditated? Can’t get there. People planning on ending their lives do not strike me as the type of people who go posting their furniture on craigslist. And also, didn’t people at McNair’s condominium place Kazemi’s car there BEFORE placing McNair there the morning of the shooting? Wouldn’t this mean that most likely McNair was aware of her presence while still alive? Things do not add up. Do not give up the fight, Mike, no matter how many negative comments you receive.

7. Ralph says: Jul 9, 2009 9:49 AM

young women are a high ‘at risk’ group for suicide, and have been for many years. The ‘fantasy world’ we weave for our daughters is difficult for them to reconcile with the real world.
    We protect them and treat them as a ‘princess’ and then they emerge into a uncaring and unforgiving world, where knights on white horses simply do not exist.

8. OranjelloJones says: Jul 9, 2009 10:19 AM

My best friend of 20 years and best man in my wedding killed himself and I talked to him 2 days before he did it. He seemed completely fine and happy. So the answer to your question is no not necessarily. If the person doing the deed wants to keep it secret you won’t see it coming.

9. OZZ says: Jul 9, 2009 10:21 AM

I, too, think this would be even more meaningful now because of the circumstances.

10. Smush Rodrigez says: Jul 9, 2009 10:25 AM

@Florio: “As we try to strike the right balance between those of you who want us to cover every possible angle of the Steve McNair tragedy and those of you who …..”
    Whatever you do is wrong since people cannot scroll by an article that they do not want to read. For instance I do not really care what San Fran’s mayor has to say but I am sure that some people do -so I scroll by it after scimming.

11. Smush Rodrigez says: Jul 9, 2009 10:25 AM

12. Bender says: Jul 9, 2009 10:25 AM

I think they should definitely release this PSA – talk about impactful…

13. prmpft says: Jul 9, 2009 10:51 AM

…wow – never knew before this incident how many psycho-analysists and deep thinkers we have readin’ this site…funny is always better than dark…

14. Hungry N. Hadasnack says: Jul 9, 2009 11:09 AM

An irony worthy of an Alanis Morrissete song!! (doncha think?)

15. The Coop says: Jul 9, 2009 11:34 AM

Really? He filmed it prior to his death and not after?
    Great headline Florio.

16. danphxariz says: Jul 9, 2009 1:10 PM

It would actually be a much more effective ad if they broadcast it now, after what happened to him. It would have a huge impact and meaning. Kind of like the Yul Brenner anti-smoking commercials of several years ago, which were shown after he died from lunch cancer. Very effective – McNair’s PSA would be the same. Hopefully they change their mind.

17. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Jul 9, 2009 1:51 PM

rule number one…all women are bat shit crazy..amen.

18. notthesicko says: Jul 9, 2009 6:46 PM

Ahhh irony. Gotta love it.